Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

si
Apr 26, 2004

jamal posted:

craftsman stuff has gone downhill lately, but should still work fine.

I take it you had the problem on the rear? It's a pain in the rear end to get the wrench in there in a way you can turn it with any leverage.

Another trick is to put the wrench on the nut and then clamp some big vice grips onto it.

Yeah, two points in the rear, on either side of the "first" flexible line. The nut that I trashed pretty badly was the one that connects to the hardline which I assume runs all the way back to the ABS module up front. I can't imagine getting a big set of vice grips on it, I could barely get the 17mm wrench on the other side of it just to hold it. The ebrake line and ABS sensor wire and all the various suspension links and such are in the way.

The one I can't get a clip on for the life of me is the other side of that flexible line going into the small hardline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TurboLuvah posted:

Yeah it was a pain in the rear end when I put SS lines on my LGT as well, loving annoying, but I got away with not trashing any of the flare nuts. I feel your pain.
Huuum, maybe I will pay someone to do this when I change my lines.
If there is a nut that can be stripped, I'll strip it.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Just changed my spark plugs today. Wow, I didn't realize how badly i needed them. Funny thing was I wasn't even at 15k yet, I wonder if the electrode wears faster on on higher output motors.

So, I'm putting the word out. If you run coppers and your car's been feeling a bit sluggish, change those suckers. My car hits boost faster and pulls harder after changing them.

Bonus shot from the uconn car show:

dayman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 30, 2009

si
Apr 26, 2004

nm posted:

Huuum, maybe I will pay someone to do this when I change my lines.
If there is a nut that can be stripped, I'll strip it.

There are 6 of them, and I would totally pay someone to do the lines if I had it to do all over again. Pads and fluid are cake.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Got my WRX back from the dealership today after getting the infamous knock problem; feels a little lighter than before, but that just may be because I've been driving a Forester this past week. The mechanic who did the work was straight up with me about there being a problem with these engines, and he even said he would call tomorrow with what he hears from Subaru HQ with regards to this happening to the replacement one.

Here's to a(nother) long 1000 mile break in and hopefully a long life after that!

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

dayman posted:

Just changed my spark plugs today. Wow, I didn't realize how badly i needed them. Funny thing was I wasn't even at 15k yet, I wonder if the electrode wears faster on on higher output motors.

So, I'm putting the word out. If you run coppers and your car's been feeling a bit sluggish, change those suckers. My car hits boost faster and pulls harder after changing them.

Bonus shot from the uconn car show:

They were probably fouled from your tune I would guess (maybe running slightly rich), might want to pull them every so often and check on them. How long did it take you out of curiosity? I think it took me like 1.5 hours last time I did them.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

TurboLuvah posted:

They were probably fouled from your tune I would guess (maybe running slightly rich), might want to pull them every so often and check on them. How long did it take you out of curiosity? I think it took me like 1.5 hours last time I did them.

i don't think i'm running that rich. 10.5:1 under boost. They looked fine when I pulled them out. They're coppers, they wear out. I just think that turbo cars are more susceptible to worn spark plugs because of pressurized air's insulating properties.

Took me about an hour including waiting for mikhael to bring me a 12mm wrench. Are your spark plug ports as close to the inner fender as mine are? the aft spark plus were so tight, I didn't even have room to get a socket on the coil pack bolt.

dayman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 30, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it took me about an hour to do plugs on my WRX. The WRX comes stock with platinum plugs and are given a 60k mile change interval. When I replaced mine at 60k they looked clean as a whistle and all the gaps seemed to be quite alright as well. The car ran exactly the same after replacement too. I ended up putting iridium plugs back in there though just as a precaution. God that was a pain the the rear end.

I tackled my remaining issues over the weekend. I got my used abs sensor last week and set about first to replace that. Then I promptly sheared the bolt off at the head that held the abs sensor. At least the replacment sensor only cost me $35. I figured I had nothing else to lose at that point so I grabbed a pair of pliers and bent the fucker back as true as I could make it. Problem solved. No more abs going off at low speed. God I could have did this months ago instead of living with the issue. I'm sure glad I didn't spend $115 on a new sensor. I just hope I never have a reason to need to disconnect the one that's there.

Next up was the front O2 sensor. That was a cake job and a half. I rented the socket from autozone for free and had the thing swapped in a half hour. CEL is now gone and the car is running smooth as silk. I'll be anxious to see how my gas mileage shapes up now. I gained about 2.5 mpg (up to an average of 22.6) after my tranny was replaced. This should help the mileage even more.

So, there I was all pleased with myself, then I discovered my AC system has a leak.

gently caress.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Yeah, in both my WRX and LGT, I've replaced plugs every 40k, and they looked drat good when I pulled them as well. Did feel better with newer plugs however, but it was probably psychological.

Bull, let me know about your gas mileage after, I'm getting around 20mpg around town if I'm lucky and about 23mpg on CC on highways. I was wondering if replacing my front 02 sensor might help despite the fact I have no CELs, maybe I can just swap a new one in and hope for an increase.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 30, 2009

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
this was neat:

Too bad the car has the biggest piece of poo poo rotated turbo kit in existence.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
^^ Jamal, which shop do you work at? In the Virginia area by chance?

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

jamal posted:

this was neat:

Too bad the car has the biggest piece of poo poo rotated turbo kit in existence.

Do tell us what turbo kit it is!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Lando posted:

^^ Jamal, which shop do you work at? In the Virginia area by chance?

HB speed in southern california.

atomicfire posted:

Do tell us what turbo kit it is!

Garage tuning. Mild steel, crush bent, mig welded, then coated. It's terrible and will break within weeks. On top of that it's missing a bunch of poo poo so now the car is just sitting there.

jamal fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 1, 2009

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Are the bigger brakes on the 2006/7 WRXs that much better than the earlier efforts? After the 92x's 45k mile service the mechanic told me I need new pads and rear discs, and at the price he quoted I could probably upgrade to the 6 pot fronts and 2 pot rears (http://www.fastwrx.com/sufobrup.html) - should I? Also, anyone used that place in NoVA?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

They are that much better, just make sure whatever wheels you will be running will clear them. You can usually scope some good deals on used sets on NASIOC.

So for new pads and rear discs he quoted you like ~$4-500+? Wtf? You can grab new pads all around for around ~$150, rear discs shouldn't be that much more, and they're very easy to do yourself.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 1, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, that the hell is going on with your car that you need new rear discs at 45k? I didn't even have to replace my rear pads until 63k and I autocross the car.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I was a bit suspicious. The total quote was for $1300, to replace the front pads and machine the front rotors, replace the rears totally as apparently they're 'pretty grooved,' and replace the two 'drive belts' which have 'hairline cracks.' One of the other mechanics there took a look at the belts with me when I picked it up and was all wtf there's nothing wrong with them.

The car is running the stock 16"s if they don't clear the bigger rear discs I might not bother because I don't really want to have to buy new wheels and tyres in addition to brakes - I'd rather spend the money on an accessport and a head unit that would let me plug in my iPod.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Dr JonboyG posted:

I was a bit suspicious. The total quote was for $1300, to replace the front pads and machine the front rotors, replace the rears totally as apparently they're 'pretty grooved,' and replace the two 'drive belts' which have 'hairline cracks.' One of the other mechanics there took a look at the belts with me when I picked it up and was all wtf there's nothing wrong with them.

The car is running the stock 16"s if they don't clear the bigger rear discs I might not bother because I don't really want to have to buy new wheels and tyres in addition to brakes - I'd rather spend the money on an accessport and a head unit that would let me plug in my iPod.

GODDAMN! $1300?! :wtc: That is absolutely loving INSANE. Never go back to that dealer ever again. You could pick up a set of Brembos for that price, Jesus Christ.

If you have a set of jacks and some tools you can replace the pads and rotors in a few hours yourself for muuuuuch much cheaper, and still have enough left over for an AP and a new headunit.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 1, 2009

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The 1300 included replacing the serpentine belts, but I agree it seems a bit outrageous. The weird thing is they've been pretty reasonable otherwise.

Doing the brakes myself might be possible (although I doubt the wife would let me) plus I'd have to do them on the street, but I might check out that shop in NoVA.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Dr JonboyG posted:

The 1300 included replacing the serpentine belts, but I agree it seems a bit outrageous. The weird thing is they've been pretty reasonable otherwise.

Doing the brakes myself might be possible (although I doubt the wife would let me) plus I'd have to do them on the street, but I might check out that shop in NoVA.

Serp belts are like $20 each and take 10 minutes to replace. That place is trying to rip you off, plain and simple. I've paid less to have a new clutch and flywheel installed at a dealership.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, 10 minutes if you've done it before. It's not hard, but it probably took me closer to an hour to replace the two belts because sometimes it's a little hard to get them over the pulleys and in the grooves properly.

The rotors are a cakewalk though. As long as you pick up the right sized and pitch bolt to back off the rotor, it's as simple as taking the wheel off, undoing two bolts to remove the caliper, threading the two bolts you bought into the two holes to break the rotor free and then put everything back together again.

I still question that you need new rear rotors though. Something is really screwed up with your brakes if they managed to groove them. Do they look grooved to you?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I still question that you need new rear rotors though. Something is really screwed up with your brakes if they managed to groove them. Do they look grooved to you?

I wouldn't really trust that place to give him a straight answer, "Ohhh yeah your rotors are...grooved...and need to be replaced as well. Just swipe your credit card here."

I've seen rotors grooved/scored when people have rode the pads down past the wear indicators and properly hosed up the rotor that way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TurboLuvah posted:

I've seen rotors grooved/scored when people have rode the pads down past the wear indicators and properly hosed up the rotor that way.

Yeah, that can happen, but in 45k?

I mean, hell, my front pads lasted me to 35k and I was doing about 10 autocrosses a year.

Roast Beef
Jun 28, 2003

Dr JonboyG posted:

Also, anyone used that place in NoVA?

I live close to this shop and I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them, they are a good shop and you shouldn't have any problems.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Dr JonboyG posted:

Are the bigger brakes on the 2006/7 WRXs that much better than the earlier efforts? After the 92x's 45k mile service the mechanic told me I need new pads and rear discs, and at the price he quoted I could probably upgrade to the 6 pot fronts and 2 pot rears (http://www.fastwrx.com/sufobrup.html) - should I? Also, anyone used that place in NoVA?

They're good brakes but the stock ones with the right pads are perfectly fine. Additionally the 2-pot rears do not bolt on and need an adapter bracket. You should be able to find a shop familiar with subarus to replace your pads and rotors for $500 or less.

My last set of pads lasted me about 8 months and 10k miles. And I had relatively large brakes for the weight and power of the car.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

bull3964 posted:

The rotors are a cakewalk though. As long as you pick up the right sized and pitch bolt to back off the rotor, it's as simple as taking the wheel off, undoing two bolts to remove the caliper, threading the two bolts you bought into the two holes to break the rotor free and then put everything back together again.
The engine undertray bolts are the perfect size and pitch for just such a job.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

"[ELP posted:

"]
I'm really just depressed, I haven't even put 2000 miles on my '02 WRX and the Rod bearings are going :| I had the rod deathknock pretty bad about 5 miles from my house one night and had to get her towed home. There's another 2k+ down the drain. :| Had the car checked out before I bought it, but I guess dems da breaks.

I just finally got the engine pulled apart from this experience I posted above. Turns out two of the rods shattered, filled the whole oil system with shredded metal. So I'm probably looking at about 4k+ now. The heads just went out to get tested, I hope to god they're fine. The pistons banged around inside the bore slightly and apparently it looks like they could be oversized, if they were we'll have to put in a whole new shortblock.

ffffffffuuuuck me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

"[ELP posted:

"]
I just finally got the engine pulled apart from this experience I posted above. Turns out two of the rods shattered, filled the whole oil system with shredded metal. So I'm probably looking at about 4k+ now. The heads just went out to get tested, I hope to god they're fine. The pistons banged around inside the bore slightly and apparently it looks like they could be oversized, if they were we'll have to put in a whole new shortblock.

ffffffffuuuuck me.
Sorry, my body doesn't have a schadenfreude blow off valve and I may be in danger of overschadenfreuding at this point:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post353675851

si
Apr 26, 2004

"[ELP posted:

"]

ffffffffuuuuck me.

Well I hope you didn't pay too much for that car based on your previous post kimbo linked. On the bright side, you can get a nice shiny new 2.5L turbo shortblock pretty cheap these days ($1800 I want to say?). Honestly I wouldn't bother trying to fix that 2.0 unless you're really dead set on it. If you're going to spend $4+k just go ahead and do the 2.5L conversion.

Edit: $1800 it is: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1180/Subaru-OEM-EJ257-STi/Detail

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Well the point is now driven home that I'm an idiot. I get it, I was stupid, I still only paid 6k for the car :| (I'm trying to salvage my dignity) I'm going to wait and see what the condition of the heads are before I make any decisions, I'm hoping to get a 2.5 liter conversion though. I have to keep in mind that my budget is limited to around 5k for this adventure, even though the 2.5 would be a better choice since I plan on tuning the poo poo out of it in the future. My mechanic also suggested that I'd almost certainly want a new turbo with the 2.5 upgrade :|

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 2, 2009

pete0r
Oct 6, 2003
me
Friend's 90 Legacy needs a new starter motor. Is it possible to remove without jacking the car up? Haynes makes it seem like you gotta climb under to loosen a bolt, does that sound right?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

With the right extension and a wobbly socket you can get to it. Much easier from the bottom though.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Put about 500 miles on the Forester XT this weekend driving up north for the weekend. It scared the hell out of me though when I headed home today. It was revving much higher than normal before shifting when I sped up to 55mph. I pulled over and put it in park, then got back out on the road (in case it was in overdrive or something - even though my gear indicator said Drive). Once again, it revved up to about 5500RPM before it finally shifted and everything was fine for the rest of the trip home.

Any idea what could have caused that? I'm still kind of freaking out about it even though the rest of the drive back it ran great.

si
Apr 26, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

Put about 500 miles on the Forester XT this weekend driving up north for the weekend. It scared the hell out of me though when I headed home today. It was revving much higher than normal before shifting when I sped up to 55mph. I pulled over and put it in park, then got back out on the road (in case it was in overdrive or something - even though my gear indicator said Drive). Once again, it revved up to about 5500RPM before it finally shifted and everything was fine for the rest of the trip home.

Any idea what could have caused that? I'm still kind of freaking out about it even though the rest of the drive back it ran great.

Was it unusually cold? Subaru transmissions do that on purpose when they are cold to bring their operating temperatures up. If I don't let mine warm up on a cold day, it will hold 1st gear at like 5000 for quite a while before shifting, even under light throttle.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
One small (potentially stupid) question that has been nagging me about my '05 9-2x. When I lock/arm it sometimes it will honk and sometimes it will beep. I have no idea why it does which or what they mean, I assume they both mean it's armed but I can't determine any rhyme or reason to why sometimes the alarm beeps and other times I get a honk.

Anybody? I'm assuming it's the same alarm as on the WRX's but not certain.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

si posted:

Was it unusually cold? Subaru transmissions do that on purpose when they are cold to bring their operating temperatures up. If I don't let mine warm up on a cold day, it will hold 1st gear at like 5000 for quite a while before shifting, even under light throttle.

It wasn't cold out, probably 50-60 degrees. I guess it's possible it was in "warm up mode" since it had sat parked since Friday night. That's probably longer than I've left it parked since I bought it.

MMD3 - on the locking beep/horn, I had some confusion with my Forester. There's a beeper that beeps when you lock/unlock the doors, but it is apparently in a bad spot and they get broken easily. If you hit the lock button three times, it will honk the horn and flash the parking lights (this is the "car finder" feature).

My beeper is dead apparently - I'm going to try and track one down to replace it.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 4, 2009

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I grew up around Subarus and drove the family 93 Legacy Wagon between 2004 and 2006. During that time I more or less abused the hell out of it - driving with cheap gas at altitude and ignoring the intermittant CEL that a mechanic informed me was probably the knock sensor due to this - driving on dying CVs, etc, etc. I was pretty stupid about cars, but the only major repairs it asked of me was new CVs, despite being 200k+ miles and having somewhere between 1500 and 2000 highway miles put on it weekly due to work at that time. It got rear-ended on the interstate by a Town&Country, an accident it drove 40 miles home from, then was totalled by the insurance.

This being the backstory for purposes of detailing just how reliable that car seemed to me, high mileage, poor treatment, but it just kept delivering.

Anyways after that I moved to my current ride, an 87 GTI, and while I love the car as it's much more fun to drive, it's also becoming a bit of a maintenance hog. Since I've owned it, I've had multiple major repairs(Fuel Pump, Alternator, entire brake system, water pump) and it's beginning to be a moneysink I'm losing interest in. I've started looking at new cars, specifically Subarus as the reliably noted above and having AWD is a perk I've missed for the past few years.

I can't afford a brand new Subaru of any model or trim, so I've been looking at used older models, and have been attracted to the idea of owning a 2.5RS Coupe. My question, as we finally get to it, is if, supposing I can find a nicely maintained late-year(00,01) model in good condition - what sort of upkeep can I expect from a nearing-decade-old Impreza? Supposing that, while my understanding of proper care and treatment of cars has improved, I don't have a garage or a broad toolset or hands-on experience to do many major repairs - I'd hate to find myself buying a newer car only to find it needing as much work as my old car.

I wouldn't be tracking or autocrossing it, just daily driving for maybe a total of a couple hundred miles monthly.

tldr: Is an RS Coupe going to be another moneysink with work needed every other month or are they as bulletproof as my previous Subaru?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Is this going to be a typical AI question where we all give you advice and you do the opposite anyway? ;)

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

si posted:

It's to bring the operating temperature of the cats up, not the transmission. It's an attempt to start cat light-off quicker in colder weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

si
Apr 26, 2004

atomicfire posted:

It's to bring the operating temperature of the cats up, not the transmission. It's an attempt to start cat light-off quicker in colder weather.

I had no idea, that makes sense though. That is also the purpose of the air pump on the modern motors, right?