Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Fuzz posted:

That's almost like trying to play WoW offline. Maybe not as ridiculous, but seriously... playing that game SP is worthless.

I meant local MP. I'm on dialup here, so no xbox live. I know it has two player split screen. Does it have four?

Any other advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taibo
Feb 1, 2009

Arcsech posted:

When you get to it, examine the bathtub, you get a pretty sweet reward which a fair amount of people miss.

I see what you did there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NeverWolf posted:

Someone give me some helpful starting points in Far Cry 2.

I've already been playing it for two days but any suggestions on important secrets or whatever are welcome.

EDIT: ^ Wowzers shoulda checked that. I've already noticed that pacing yourself and just having fun with the environment is the way to go rather than trying to get all the missions done as fast as possible. You'll drive yourself crazy with all the driving.

Make sure to do the gun shop missions whenever you can since doing them unlocks weapons. And if you need diamonds do the cell phone tower assassinations since they give you quite a few for a relatively simple mission.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody have some advice for any of the following games?

(All for the Playstation 3)

Valkyria Chronicles

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Thanks in advance :)

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

Cover and ranged attacks are your friends. If you try engaging enemies directly they will most likely outgun you.
Also if you are easily scared (like me) be warned that the game does get a bit Doom-ish towards the end.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vinlaen posted:

Pistols are the most accurate long range weapon in the game, as a rule. Never bother with the machine pistol, and when you grab the 92FS pistol you basically don't need to use any other gun for the rest of the game.

Learn to stick and move with cover so you aren't just hanging in one spot constantly, and be liberal with your use of grenades... they give you a lot, so don't save them up. They're meant to be thrown.

I would disagree with Cross_, honestly... melee is the key to success in this game. When guys get close, run in and do the Square, Triangle, Square combo to get double ammo. In general you want to push when there are fewer than 4 or 5 guys coming at you, simply because melee is the fastest way to take someone down, and enemies that see you beat someone's face in generally tend to back off and look for cover rather than rush in and gun you down. It's just the way the AI works.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Phetz posted:

When you start a game in Morrowind, do this:
There's a few more steps to easy cash at the start:

1) Behind Sellus Gravius on the shelf is a key to the warehouse which had a bunch of gear in it, but the timing is difficult: You need to grab and drop the key before Sellus grabs you. Make sure you drop anything else you've grabbed in the house too or Sellus will take it and be as far away from Sellus as possible when you grab the key. I'd say wait for grabbing stuff in the previous rooms until after you grab the key just in case you screw up. You can always pick the lock or cast open on the door to the warehouse anyways.

Once you're in the warehouse watch out for the one patrolling guard (if he sees you stealing stuff he'll grab you) and grab all the stuff in the boxes in the circular room. Lots of gear to sell here.

2) Exit the town, and head north along the coast line. Before long you'll find a dead body. Search it, take everything it has, and go back to the guy who creates your character class. He'll offer you a reward if you kill the murderer so go to one of the little shaks and talk to the occupant about the murder. One of them will say he did it so kill him and return. Say hello to an extra $500!

Bonus: Get the ring and return it to the woman who lives in the lighthouse for two free healing potions.

3) If you have Tribunal installed, rest just outside of town until an assasin attacks you. Kill him (or run to some guards and let them do the dirty work) and take the assasin's gear. It's worth about a grand or so.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Vinlaen posted:

Valkyria Chronicles

* Your soldiers become elite at level 11. Elite units get a nice boost to their stats, a larger movement range and (for scouts, shocktroopers, and less importantly lancers) a new weapon. It's definitely better to focus on getting elite scouts and shocktroopers over leveling up all your classes equally.

* Never attack an enemy crouching behind sandbags without destroying the sandbags first. Sandbags prevent all headshots, even if you're 5 inches away and on the same side. Always ruin their cover with a grenade, rocket or tank shell.

* For missions with multiple camps to capture mid-field, it can be useful to go into battle with less than the maximum number of troops. It is far faster to capture a camp with a few scouts and then summon the rest of the army there than to march lancers and snipers across an entire battlefield.

* Lancers, with their anti-explosive armor, can trigger landmines and take barely any damage. If anyone else steps on a landmine, they can avoid triggering it by ending their turn there, allowing an engineer to run up and disable it.

* Don't forget you can activate a unit multiple times a turn (the only penalty is a lowered movement range) and bank your command points from turn to turn.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've just started Fight Night 3 and I am pretty overwhelmed so far (plus my instruction book is in a foreign language).

How should I begin learning the game?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I just ordered Lost Odyssey from Gamefly. What should I know before diving into the first of four discs (without spoilers)? I saw the seed locations in the megathread OP, but 33 pages is a lot to read through.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

hadji murad posted:

I've just started Fight Night 3 and I am pretty overwhelmed so far (plus my instruction book is in a foreign language).

How should I begin learning the game?

Change the control scheme to option 3 or 4 I think. So it uses buttons, as opposed to the analogue sticks.

I've only played it a few times round a friends, so I can't tell you which scheme is best, but the sefault one is so full of rear end it hurts.

Notebook posted:

I just ordered Lost Odyssey from Gamefly. What should I know before diving into the first of four discs (without spoilers)? I saw the seed locations in the megathread OP, but 33 pages is a lot to read through.

My partner just finished lost odyssey, the only thing I really saw from it all, is that it's really, really long. She spent 108 hours on a single playthrough, and skipped alot of optional extras.

Zaii fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 27, 2009

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zaii posted:

My partner just finished lost odyssey, the only thing I really saw from it all, is that it's really, really long. She spent 108 hours on a single playthrough, and skipped alot of optional extras.

Wat. I'm on the final disc, I've clocked about 30 hours, and so unless disc four contains a retarded amount of content, I think your partner was just taking her time.

All you need to know about Lost Odyssey is that there's no point in grinding, there are no 'missables' because there're all purchasable at an auction house later in the game*, and remember to keep everyone fairly equally levelled.

*I've heard differences in this opinion. Apparently, it's possible to miss the spells Shieldus and Barricadus, so it's best to purchase them immediately as soon as you can. I've only heard this from one FAQ, however, so it may or may not be true.

IcePotato
Dec 29, 2003

There was nothing to fear
Nothing to fear

Notebook posted:

I just ordered Lost Odyssey from Gamefly. What should I know before diving into the first of four discs (without spoilers)?

the obligatory jRPG stealth minigame shows up early and goes away quick.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Vinlaen posted:

Valkyria Chronicles

opaopa13 posted:

* Never attack an enemy crouching behind sandbags without destroying the sandbags first. Sandbags prevent all headshots, even if you're 5 inches away and on the same side. Always ruin their cover with a grenade, rocket or tank shell.
This sound way more restrictive than it actually is. When you use the flame thrower it don't matter if they are in cover or not. They die.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Dantes posted:

This sound way more restrictive than it actually is. When you use the flame thrower it don't matter if they are in cover or not. They die.

Yeah, I forgot about flamethrowers because you don't start the game with them. Amend the first sentence with, "Unless you're using a flamethrower...", and I stand by it.

While we're on the subject, grenades do not bounce or roll; they land pretty much exactly where the guideline shows they'll land.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Not entirely related to the thread, but I couldn't figure a better place to put it.

I was reading about old adventure games and on some list I discovered the title Shadow of Destiny. I looked it up on Wikipedia, it seems to be an oldschool style adventure game (like monkey island, longest journey, etc) released in the PS2 era and it seemed pretty interesting, about fate and time travel or something. Has anyone played this, and is it a good game?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Not entirely related to the thread, but I couldn't figure a better place to put it.

I was reading about old adventure games and on some list I discovered the title Shadow of Destiny. I looked it up on Wikipedia, it seems to be an oldschool style adventure game (like monkey island, longest journey, etc) released in the PS2 era and it seemed pretty interesting, about fate and time travel or something. Has anyone played this, and is it a good game?

It's decent. Time traveling to the past and fixing the future type dealy. I think getting some of the alternate endings are a hassle.

And don't forget the frying pan!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone got any advice for someone about to start Valkyrie Profile 2? I found it cheap, and I never played the first one, so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Capsaicin posted:

Just borrowed 360 Left 4 Dead from a friend. I won't be playing it online, but will be playing local. Any advice?

Playing local and system link co-op and versus is also extremely fun. I recommend system link versus for 100% reliable, 0-lag gaming with buddies in the same room.
For any L4D advice, you should be checking the thread here, and the many tutorial videos on youtube, they'll provide you with everything you need.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 28, 2009

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Lightguy posted:

Has anyone got any advice for someone about to start Valkyrie Profile 2? I found it cheap, and I never played the first one, so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

It's okay, but the ending completely drops the plot of the game and picks up where VP1 allegedly left off (I never played the first one either). That soured me on the game, and while it's an interesting and innovative battle system, I didn't care for the already weak plot that was discarded for a completely new plot with only a few hours left in the game.

That said, I would try to go through the game using mostly Einherjar in your party instead of any human characters that join up, as they may leave your party at points, and if you don't have someone able to substitute in, you're going to be in a lot of trouble.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Lightguy posted:

Posted a big ol' laundry list about this on the top of the last page. It takes a while to get into and it's not very intuitive at all, but it does eventually get going if you stick with it.

Palleon posted:

It's okay, but the ending completely drops the plot of the game and picks up where VP1 allegedly left off (I never played the first one either). That soured me on the game, and while it's an interesting and innovative battle system, I didn't care for the already weak plot that was discarded for a completely new plot with only a few hours left in the game.

That said, I would try to go through the game using mostly Einherjar in your party instead of any human characters that join up, as they may leave your party at points, and if you don't have someone able to substitute in, you're going to be in a lot of trouble.

The ending is kind of dubious as to what, exactly, would happen afterwards. When you have people time-traveling and creating alternate universes and timelines directly from VP1, things are going to be odd, especially with Odin gone and locked into someone else, I doubt things panned out to be the same as VP1.

Second part is good advice, though--the only plot character you should make a point of using is Alicia. Everybody else bails, and while a few of them will give you incredibly shiny weapons, they only do so if you massively powerlevel them before they leave, and all-in-all it's not worth it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Palleon posted:

Listen to this. Always have a few Einherijar in the reserve if you do want to use the main characters because you never know!

Guess who ended up having to do a few dungeons without a full party? :suicide:

Plus transferring them doesn't get you that much good stuff (although one of the early Einherijar can be released and later on you get a decent sword out of it)

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

I enjoyed it, but don't expect much interesting gameplay. Play it for the cutscenes and story I guess.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm finally getting around to playing Shadow of the Collosus. Anything I should know before getting into it?

Actually I'm on the first Collosus and keep falling off. I suck :(

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing Shadow of the Collosus. Anything I should know before getting into it?

Actually I'm on the first Collosus and keep falling off. I suck :(

You grab onto fur with the right shoulder button, but you should already know that since you had to climb vegatation.

Other tips is that there are different kinds of drain on stamina depending where and how you are holding on. If you are grabbing on a level piece of giant and he is not moving around, your stamina will not move. If you are grabbing unto the wings of a bird and hanging upside down, your stamina will drain really fast.

To regain stamina, stand up on the above mentioned leveled areas or a place it is really hard to fall off (Second Boss: Good example because the shell structure on his back forms as a sort of playpen. You can stay in there and be tossed around forever but you will still gain strength

Jump and hit the same button to grab to quick mount the horse from the side.

Oh, big one. The horse is smart. If you come across a twisty bridge or complicated path that isn't too sharp, don't touch the controls and just keep holding down the run button. It will auto-navigate. This is a godsend since you will, half the time, have to run across that bridge near the temple for half of the gods.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

EVIR Gibson posted:

You grab onto fur with the right shoulder button, but you should already know that since you had to climb vegatation.

Other tips is that there are different kinds of drain on stamina depending where and how you are holding on. If you are grabbing on a level piece of giant and he is not moving around, your stamina will not move. If you are grabbing unto the wings of a bird and hanging upside down, your stamina will drain really fast.

To regain stamina, stand up on the above mentioned leveled areas or a place it is really hard to fall off (Second Boss: Good example because the shell structure on his back forms as a sort of playpen. You can stay in there and be tossed around forever but you will still gain strength

Oh, big one. The horse is smart. If you come across a twisty bridge or complicated path that isn't too sharp, don't touch the controls and just keep holding down the run button. It will auto-navigate. This is a godsend since you will, half the time, have to run across that bridge near the temple for half of the gods.

Oh, so I probably keep falling off of the collusus because my stamina is dropping.

I really should read the manual

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
I gotten into Kingdom of Fire: Circle of Doom and I think I am doing something wrong. Seems like I am entering areas with monsters WAY too strong for me. Any starting advice?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Shadow of Destiny was one of my first PS2 purchases. I really enjoyed it. One of the first "tasks" you have to do though is (it's not really a spoiler, it's one of the first "puzzles" and the game pretty much hands it to you) to talk to 3 people around town who constantly move. There's something about their movement patterns around town that makes me take forever to track them down. I suggest you not use a guide for this part though even if it gets a little frustrating, because it will help you learn the layout of the town. It really is quite clever at some points, and it's definitely pretty unique as far as modern games go. Highly recommended.

Also, the energy cell locations are largely static in whichever time period you're in. So to keep them in stock, whenever I switch time periods I take a run around town and pick up as many as I can remember the location of before I go off to do whatever I came there to do. Note that there are times this won't work, and times that it won't matter anyway.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I just picked up Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and plan on starting playing it soon. I've played the original FFT on the psone, but haven't played FFTA.

I've read a review or two, so I know some basics (laws, different races), but do I need to know anything else? Strategies? Character class combinations?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

FFTA2
As soon as the weapon that teaches Double Sword is available, switch your humans to the Ninja class and let them learn it. Even if they aren't physical fighters, they'll at least be able to equip two weapons at once and learn techs/skills/spells twice as fast.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
A couple have referenced it but nothing specific, so how about something for Resident Evil 4? I haven't played any of the others in the series.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Felter Chesthard posted:

A couple have referenced it but nothing specific, so how about something for Resident Evil 4? I haven't played any of the others in the series.

-You don't have to have played the others in the series to enjoy RE4. They play nothing alike and it's not as strongly connected plot-wise to the other games.
-Pistol /w melee will be your weapons of choice for most of the game. Get good at popping enemies in the head or legs then running close and hitting them when they're stunned. It does loads of damage and is a great way to push a crowd of enemies back.
-When freaky poo poo starts growing out of an enemy's head, a flash grenade is an instant kill.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Felter Chesthard posted:

Don't shoot the lake.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Felter Chesthard posted:

gently caress that guy, shoot the lake.

Tical00
Nov 17, 2008

by Lowtax

EVIR Gibson posted:

When the first boss starts shaking his leg, it means he knows your on him and won't stop until your off. Jump off and distract him than jump back on. You are holding R1 to keep holding on to him, right?
Also, R1 helps you regenerate health when your off of him.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Felter Chesthard posted:

Unless you're really having trouble, hold off on upgrading your weapons until chapter 3, as newer, better ones become available for purchase at that point.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Felter Chesthard posted:

*The cutscenes of enemies moving around to ambush you, is in real time. If you watch all of it then you are now in a bad position.
*Toss junk into the lake enough times when you get the boat and the fish will come to you.
*If you are going to upgrade weapons, a higher ammo capacity fills your ammo.
*Shoot the crows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Felter Chesthard posted:

If you are ever runninng on ammo, you can shoot a guy in the leg so that they fall. As they try to get up, knife them. Doesn't always work but it was a godsend on Pro.

Also fun with ladders, where you can just knife enemies as they climb up towards you.

Try to save a Rocket Launcher for the part where you fight a boss with liquid nitrogren all over the place.

Get really good at head shots.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tim Peters posted:

I just picked up Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and plan on starting playing it soon. I've played the original FFT on the psone, but haven't played FFTA.

I've read a review or two, so I know some basics (laws, different races), but do I need to know anything else? Strategies? Character class combinations?

Stat growth is a big deal. You gain stats based on what class you have when you level up, and those stick regardless of switching around classes. generally, speed is best.

Have an idea of what you want a character to be before they even join. Magic classes are far more flexible than physical attackers.

Practice Auctions when they open. You can break the game with some awesome equipment. You start out betting over areas, but if you win them all, it turns into an item auction.

Some classes are unlocked by quests. Notably, any advanced class for Gira and Seeq are included.

I could rant off good class combinations, but would you get half of them without some :reject: mechanics rant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

*The cutscenes of enemies moving around to ambush you, is in real time. If you watch all of it then you are now in a bad position.

They're not in engine on the PS2 version.