Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I picked up the Spellforce collection last night for 10 bucks and I have to say i'm really enjoying it. It's a shitload of content (The long main game and two long expansion packs) and it has interesting gameplay as its a mix of RTS/RPG. You fight around with your "avatar" and then when you need to take out a big army you raise one by building a base and summoning one. Plus it has a decent mix of classes and races to fool around with. So if you're in the mood for a good fantasy game, give this one a whirl. Definitely worth it for your ten bux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I bought Fallout Tactics to complete my collection. Sigh.

I didn't even enjoy it that much, but since my computer can no longer run Fallout 3 I need to calm the inner beast somehow...

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I went ahead and bought the collection. I don't have any of them and have never played Fallout, so I figured this would be the best opportunity to jump in and grab all 3. Plus, I like to give GoG the support. :)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Something called Ishar 1 + 2 and Pro Pinball: Fantastic Journey have been released.

Disappointing releases this week :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't know what the Ishar game is but it looks hilarious and the writeup is awesome.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I can't shake the feeling I've played Ishar when I was younger.
Looking at those screenshots just trigger that little part of my memory, I'm sure it's all familiar to me.

Edit: I just checked Gamefaqs, Ishar came out on the Amiga in 1992, both time and machine match up to a time when I'd play a game like that.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ishar series was around when I was still playing games on an Amiga. I seem to recall it was one of those 'RPG's which was basically a puzzle game. Still moderately cool though.

Perhaps Eye of the Beholder is slated for a return.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 28, 2009

Kaatridge
Apr 26, 2009
I bought the Fallout collection about a week ago. Really like the first two games, but I'm still a bit iffy about tactics. Although, The Fallout Bible is quite interesting.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Beefeater1980 posted:

Perhaps Eye of the Beholder is slated for a return.

I would be all over this. Probably my favorite dungeon crawler game next to Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the Genesis.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I'm still waiting for Rainbow Six to go up. I loved it back in the day, and they've had it on their site saying 'soon' for a long time. This week is a little disappointing.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'm actually waiting for a Pro Pinball Promo! I loved "The Web" back in the day, but never checked out any other installments of the series.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Ishar 1 + 2 looks pretty cool, I might have to pick that up. I'm a sucker for dungeon crawls.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

FLX posted:

I'm actually waiting for a Pro Pinball Promo! I loved "The Web" back in the day, but never checked out any other installments of the series.
Big Race is awesome. I suck at pinball, but love this game. Cool funky soundtrack, tons of interactive things to do, and some fun combos that make playing more than just going for a high score. I bought CDs of it and Timeshock when they came out, and would be tempted to replace them with XP-compatible, no-cd, ready-to-play downloads if GOG did a promo.

Edit: There are some issues with XP. Sound playback skipping, flippers sticking or not being responsive. I ran into this on my original CDs, but it looks like some GOG users are reporting the problems too. :(

Agreed posted:

Ishar 1 + 2 looks pretty cool, I might have to pick that up. I'm a sucker for dungeon crawls.
If you do, drop a review on their site or here. They look like clones of Dungeon Master, which was mega fun on an Atari ST when I was a kid.

onionradish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 28, 2009

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
Is the Fallout Bible that comes with the Fallout games the same thing as the one avaliable on all of the fansites or is it different somehow?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Is Arx Fatalis worth picking up?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

RandolphCarter posted:

Is Arx Fatalis worth picking up?

I like it. It's an old, free-movement action RPG. They did a lot of neat things with it (it's the UT engine, I believe).

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Agreed posted:

Yeah it kind of sucks that they only put up the middle of the series. There is a prequel called Crystals of Arborea and the sequel, Ishar 3. Its a bit weird they didn't put either of those up.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

God-damned Pilates posted:

I like it. It's an old, free-movement action RPG. They did a lot of neat things with it (it's the UT engine, I believe).

It was also started in its development cycle as a sequel to Ultima Underworld and it doesn't take much squinting to see it as exactly that. I'm not sure what happened in the licensing department to cause the Ultima name to be yanked from it, but I assure you in every way it's what U9 should have been, only underground. It's got a really interesting game world and life about it. I highly recommend it if you like solo or non-party RPGs.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I have been really curious about Arx Fatalis, too - I just got Ultima Underworld and Underworld II on someone in this thread's recommendation and they definitely live up to the hype, great, well done dungeon crawling games. Man, it's cool that there are so many awesome games just out there for the picking; so long as graphics flash isn't the only thing you're worried about, there are thousands of hours of untapped entertainment at your command.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I picked up Arx Fatalis on steam ages ago and had nothing but problems trying to run it on Vista: tracking down old-rear end video codecs that weren't included, sound issues and constant CTD's.

Is the GOG version better? They use some sort of wrapper to ensure their old games run properly, don't they?

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Merrill Grinch posted:

I picked up Arx Fatalis on steam ages ago and had nothing but problems trying to run it on Vista: tracking down old-rear end video codecs that weren't included, sound issues and constant CTD's.

Is the GOG version better? They use some sort of wrapper to ensure their old games run properly, don't they?

All of their games are guaranteed to work on XP or Vista, both 32 and 64 bit versions.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've actually been playing the GOG version of Arx Fatalis recently, it's a bit creaky but somehow quite likeable anyway. It's like a pocket version of Morrowind, a little civilization complete with secrets, mythology and cities, but without much sprawling. It's like opening a jewelry case in your grandmother's house and finding a secret room you never knew about.

The game is patched up a little past the original, which may have been done to address compatibility issues. I'm not really sure what the patch level addressed, however.

It does not run in a wrapper, you may have gotten that idea from the fact that GOG uses the open source DOSBox to run many of its old games, but this one runs on its own. Even at this level, it is not completely bug-free, for me, on some levels saves take a really long time to load, EAX doesn't work, and the game ignores my anti-aliasing settings half the time. Nothing too huge, but minor annoyances nonetheless.

If you're concerned, you might address the GOG forum. Registering an account is free whether you buy the games or not, so you can post and socialize at will.

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴

FLX posted:

I loved The Web too. Best one in the series. There were some rumors that it was going to be included with Fantastic Journey but I can't find any evidence of this on the store page nor the forums. I'll let you know when I buy it later today, if any of you haven't done so already.

e: No sign of The Web :smith:

Lasse Lillebakken fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 29, 2009

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Okay guys, which Jagged Alliance should I get? I played #2 very briefly and I'm ready to dive back in.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The Machine posted:

Okay guys, which Jagged Alliance should I get? I played #2 very briefly and I'm ready to dive back in.

JA2 with the v1.13 Mod is all you'll ever need. I'm currently enjoying Wildfire as well, but it really is crazy hard.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

FLX posted:

JA2 with the v1.13 Mod is all you'll ever need. I'm currently enjoying Wildfire as well, but it really is crazy hard.

Okay cool, thanks. I was eyeing one of the cheaper ones, but I don't really want to dive into the harder poo poo yet.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Lasse Lillebakken posted:

I loved The Web too. Best one in the series. There were some rumors that it was going to be included with Fantastic Journey but I can't find any evidence of this on the store page nor the forums. I'll let you know when I buy it later today, if any of you haven't done so already.

e: No sign of The Web :smith:

Too bad, but I still have the original "The Web" CD-ROM, and the game runs fine under XP. Which game of the series is considered the "best"? I heard good things about Timeshock and Big Race USA, but I'm not sure if I'd like the setting of the latter.

angryblackguy
Mar 4, 2009

by The Finn

doctorfrog posted:

I've actually been playing the GOG version of Arx Fatalis recently, it's a bit creaky but somehow quite likeable anyway. It's like a pocket version of Morrowind, a little civilization complete with secrets, mythology and cities, but without much sprawling. It's like opening a jewelry case in your grandmother's house and finding a secret room you never knew about.

The game is patched up a little past the original, which may have been done to address compatibility issues. I'm not really sure what the patch level addressed, however.

It does not run in a wrapper, you may have gotten that idea from the fact that GOG uses the open source DOSBox to run many of its old games, but this one runs on its own. Even at this level, it is not completely bug-free, for me, on some levels saves take a really long time to load, EAX doesn't work, and the game ignores my anti-aliasing settings half the time. Nothing too huge, but minor annoyances nonetheless.

If you're concerned, you might address the GOG forum. Registering an account is free whether you buy the games or not, so you can post and socialize at will.

Arx Fatalis was incompatible with every video card when it originally came out so don't worry too much. Also, for people playing the game you'll notice these little crystal like stones scattered in a few places. DO NOT PICK THEM UP (and if you do DO NOT DISCARD THEM IN A HARD TO REACH PLACE). The stones are used to unlock the last level in the game and, guess, what? If you lose them, you're screwed completely.

The final stone is located on a flighty and hard to spot cultist in the last area. You'll notice on one of the levels this purple-ish barrier. DO NOT DISPEL IT UNTIL YOU'RE READY TO PROCEED TO THE FINAL LEVEL (you'll know when because your journal will tell you to do so). If you dispel that barrier there's a chance the cultist carrying the final stone will run away and disappear and you'll have to scour the entire game world to find him or he'll disappear permanently.

I know from experience. I made it all the way to the end and missed that last stone.

Otherwise it's a pretty good game. Very atmospheric. If you don't poo poo your pants every time a giant spider attacks you're a liar. The magic system is also pretty rewarding and the spells are fun to cast.

quote:

I'm not sure what happened in the licensing department to cause the Ultima name to be yanked from it,

EA kicked Richard Garriot in the balls, told the studio they had half the time to finish Ultima IX in the time they gave them and then cut their budget immediately after.

EA ruins everything.

Ishar 1 is pretty tough because the map system sucks and you never know where you're going but the 2nd game more than makes up for it.

Not as good as Realms of Arkania but then again no 90s RPG is IMO.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Well this is sad. Fallout 2 is giving me some sort of error now, and won't run.

"Fallout 2 is compatibility mode" or something such. Is not! :\

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

The Machine posted:

Well this is sad. Fallout 2 is giving me some sort of error now, and won't run.

"Fallout 2 is compatibility mode" or something such. Is not! :\

Post that on the gog.com forums, you'll get help pretty quickly.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
To answer my own question above for posterity: yes, the GOG version of Arx Fatalis runs better and crashes less than the Steam version.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

angryblackguy posted:

Also, for people playing the game you'll notice these little crystal like stones scattered in a few places. DO NOT PICK THEM UP (and if you do DO NOT DISCARD THEM IN A HARD TO REACH PLACE). The stones are used to unlock the last level in the game and, guess, what? If you lose them, you're screwed completely.

Hey, that's not the only bug by a long shot. I took on a rescue side quest just yesterday that for some reason, when completed, it re-set the behavior of everyone in Arx, the guards, Lunshire, etc. all refer to me as though they've met me for the first time. The guards would then attack me if I entered the royal area, making further progress useless.

The last time I tried the gameout was three years ago, then, I made the mistake of exploring too much, found myself among the Sisters of Ederneum, who were then permenantly activated as hostiles, making later progress impossible. I gave up and moved onto another game.

Seriously, I'm wondering if this game actually wants to be completed.

So tell me, are you referring to the 'clear' gems that appear embedded in the walls everywhere in the troll area and in the grayish caverns before reaching Arx? Or something else?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

doctorfrog posted:

There's also dual core timing problems which haven't been addressed so that you can suddenly end up at the other end of a hallway. I also have a problem with any screen with fonts (character stats, diary, etc.) and those screens make my fps drop a top (I have a good laptop so this shouldn't be happening).

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴

FLX posted:

Too bad, but I still have the original "The Web" CD-ROM, and the game runs fine under XP. Which game of the series is considered the "best"? I heard good things about Timeshock and Big Race USA, but I'm not sure if I'd like the setting of the latter.

Playing Fantastic Journey again now, I really have to say that it's the best one. Excellent gameplay, fun modes and top notch physics.

1. Fantastic Journey - Overall the best table.
2. The Web - Great table, gameplay and music.
3. Timeshock - The best theme (sci-fi) but terrible music. Very good gameplay.
4. Big Race USA - Good table and modes, but very difficult.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Playing Fantastic Journey again now, I really have to say that it's the best one. Excellent gameplay, fun modes and top notch physics.

1. Fantastic Journey - Overall the best table.
3. Timeshock - The best theme (sci-fi) but terrible music. Very good gameplay.
4. Big Race USA - Good table and modes, but very difficult.

Thanks! :)

Concerning The Web's music, I actually recorded it to a cassette so I could listen to it on my walkman wherever I went back then. That was one of the good things about games in the mid- to late-ninties: they often had their soundtrack as audio tracks on their CD-ROM.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
From their site:

quote:

If you need a solid portion of good ol' shooting with loads of gibs, we have something just for you. Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, Blake Stone: Planet Strike and Rise of the Triad are now 25% cheaper!

We're launching an Apogee promo where you can get Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, Blake Stone: Planet Strike and Rise of the Triad with a 25% discount! That means that until Monday, May 4 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, you can grab those games for only $4.49 each! To receive the discount add the games you want to buy to your cart and proceed to the payment screen. Enter the promo code: APOGEE during checkout and you'll receive the discount on the titles participating in the promotion. It's not a bundle promo, so you can receive the discount on one, two or all three games! Check out the promo page for more details.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

I remember this game, but can't find any info when I Google it because of all the stupid flash games. Any help?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Grawl posted:

I remember this game, but can't find any info when I Google it because of all the stupid flash games. Any help?

If you search for Pro Pinball: The Web you get better results.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

FLX posted:

If you search for Pro Pinball: The Web you get better results.

My bad, I thought we were talking about a game called "the web", which is some DOS game. Perhaps I just got the name wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Charlie Mopps posted:

From their site:

Seriously?

An Apogee rebate and it's not available for Duke Nukem 3D? Not that $6 is expensive in the first place, but I bet they would sell more of it if they added the rebate there too.