Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

I just played some GO on the Internet!
Haven't played for a while, but I still remembered the rules which is a plus, and everyone was very nice to me, even letting me keep a group or two alive.

More people need to start playing so I can have a chance at winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triped
Nov 30, 2004
wry
Any tips on helping my ragtag Go club defeat the mightiest dans in America? We don't have any montages or Emilio Estevez, just 10-17 players showing up twice a month at a game shop averaging about 20kyu.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Triped posted:

Any tips on helping my ragtag Go club defeat the mightiest dans in America? We don't have any montages or Emilio Estevez, just 10-17 players showing up twice a month at a game shop averaging about 20kyu.

get on kgs and find some relatively high ranked pubbie human being to help you somehow. I would bet that sort of teaching situation is literally the wet dream of some mid-dans. Normally I would be really wary of soliciting a pubbie's help with anything but you can't fake a dan rank; it takes a lot of time and effort and you have to know an awful lot of poo poo about go to carry one.

Alternatively you can write the AGA (they will help you start an organized club, but they will not do much else for you if you don't live in california) or you personally could come to our room on kgs along with whatever of your friends are cool and you could hang out and learn go there.

If you guys are all around 20 kyu, probably all you really need is someone to get about ten stones higher who can teach the rest. Most likely you won't all move up as a group, you'll just be stuck together. I'd beware of anyone who was only a few ranks higher than you who wanted to teach, since that probably means they are too dumb to improve and they will teach you a bunch of crap. At the low ranks, you can gain 3-4 stones a month with a little effort and it's pretty rare to just find someone who is currently at 15k, almost as hard as it is to find a boyfriend-free girl.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Under 15 posted:

it's pretty rare to just find someone who is currently at 15k, almost as hard as it is to find a boyfriend-free girl.

Quote for truth. But everything Under 15 said is true. The worst thing you guys can do is just play each other over and over. You won't really learn much from each other because you're not being put into new situations and if you are no one knows how to grow from them. Come join the goon team.

Triped
Nov 30, 2004
wry

Under 15 posted:

get on kgs and find some relatively high ranked pubbie human being to help you somehow. I would bet that sort of teaching situation is literally the wet dream of some mid-dans. Normally I would be really wary of soliciting a pubbie's help with anything but you can't fake a dan rank; it takes a lot of time and effort and you have to know an awful lot of poo poo about go to carry one.

Alternatively you can write the AGA (they will help you start an organized club, but they will not do much else for you if you don't live in california) or you personally could come to our room on kgs along with whatever of your friends are cool and you could hang out and learn go there.

If you guys are all around 20 kyu, probably all you really need is someone to get about ten stones higher who can teach the rest. Most likely you won't all move up as a group, you'll just be stuck together. I'd beware of anyone who was only a few ranks higher than you who wanted to teach, since that probably means they are too dumb to improve and they will teach you a bunch of crap. At the low ranks, you can gain 3-4 stones a month with a little effort and it's pretty rare to just find someone who is currently at 15k, almost as hard as it is to find a boyfriend-free girl.

Blendy posted:

Quote for truth. But everything Under 15 said is true. The worst thing you guys can do is just play each other over and over. You won't really learn much from each other because you're not being put into new situations and if you are no one knows how to grow from them. Come join the goon team.

Thanks for the advice, guys. The situation's a little better (or worse) than you're thinking - we have a 7 and a 12 at the club, a few 18-22, and some truly awful players. So there's some teaching going on, but we could really use dan help. We're an official AGA chapter (with three official members), but all of their "help" costs money for us in IL, like you said.

I'll work on getting them to play on KGS. Some of them probably just don't know how easy it is.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

With a 7k and a 12k that's not so bad. I'm 12k on KGS and I like to help out the 18+ kyus. Getting on KGS is still a great idea since diversity is a important part of learning.

What part of IL are you guys in? I'm moving to Chicago soon and I've been looking/hoping to join a club.

Triped
Nov 30, 2004
wry

Blendy posted:

With a 7k and a 12k that's not so bad. I'm 12k on KGS and I like to help out the 18+ kyus. Getting on KGS is still a great idea since diversity is a important part of learning.

What part of IL are you guys in? I'm moving to Chicago soon and I've been looking/hoping to join a club.

We're probably too far from Chicago for you, but email triped . sa @ gmail dot com if you like.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
everyone should play on some kind of internet service, if not KGS than IGS or something. The amount of other players you encounter is invaluable.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Does anyone here play on IGS? I haven't but when I started looking into online go most information I found suggested KGS was a better place for a few reasons. Mainly larger player base, stronger player base, and ease of use for things like reviewing.

Ironis
Nov 20, 2004
Why "Hello" young man.
I tried IGS a few years back when I first started playing Go and didn't really like it, KGS was much more user friendly and had a better player base for beginners. It used to be generally accepted that IGS had stronger players at the high dans, but I don't know if this is true any more - I think nowadays the really strong players play on Tygem.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I think the only reason anyone uses IGS is because "all the good players use IGS" but who knows if that's true. IGS is full of legends about pro players going on under pseudonyms, but it's anyone guess if that still happens. It does have a neat 3d client though.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Sensei's Library posted:

Rank Comparison
Comparing Tygem rankings and strength to other servers such as KGS, I came up with the following assumptions.

KGS 1k = approximately 4-5k Tygem.

Tygem 16k = approx. KGS 9-10k.

and, the most interesting:

Tygem 7-8d= Amateur 6-7d in Korea. Tygem 9d= near pro levels. Many 9d players on Tygem (amateur players) have been known to win against pro players (often 9p).

I have personally witnessed a famous 9d amateur player play against Gu Li 9p on Tygem.... amazingly, the betting odds favored the amateur player.

I found this when searching about Tygem. The Sensei's library page says it was last updated the 6th, but I'm not sure if that means the rank comparisons are up to date.

Also from 2007 http://go-news.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-strong-are-tygem-stars.html

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Just thought I'd mention this here.
A strong Go player died today.

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/43380732.html

quote:

A 19-year-old man died after he fell asleep and crashed into a eucalyptus tree early Tuesday.

The crash occurred just after midnight when Landon Roger Brownell "became fatigued and dozed off" on Highway 99 north of 7th Standard Road, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Brownell was wearing his seat belt but died in the emergency room of Kern Medical Center, according to the Kern County Coroner's office.

It's unknown how fast Brownell was traveling.

RIP Landon Brownell, 7d. You were pretty cool.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I'm in the room as we speak - at least, I think this is the room. Anyone else around or am I really in an Anime room?

edit - should have known better :v:

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 22, 2009

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
thats amateur 7d right because otherwise holy lord

I always think about go ranks first when I hear someone has died.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

I found this https://www.gocongress08.org/list.php?o=faladdracasa it's from the 2008 Go Congress. It doesn't seem to say who is pro and who isn't but seeing as there are only 17 pros there I'm going to guess he wasn't a pro. When I googled him I couldn't find anything that said he was pro. Still 7d amateur at his age is impressive.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Urban Renewal posted:

Yeah, amateur. But he's still ridiculously strong.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Found "Teach Yourself Go" (Charles Mathews) for under $2 on Half.com, so I ordered that and another Go book (Book of Go, by William Cobb) that the guy happened to have, which seemed cheap everywhere. I played through a couple of the Javascript tutorials, I found I have a hard time visualizing the shapes but I guess that's normal for a new player. Anyways, I need another couple of exercises and probably a bit more reading before I feel qualified for my initial rear end-kicking.

Anyway we could get an updated OP with book lists, links to tutorials/etc?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

There are a ton of go books out there. If you go to keishido's page you can get a good description of what a lot of people would say are the core books. Also for some online stuff search Go at scribd.com.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Found "Teach Yourself Go" (Charles Mathews) for under $2 on Half.com, so I ordered that and another Go book (Book of Go, by William Cobb) that the guy happened to have, which seemed cheap everywhere. I played through a couple of the Javascript tutorials, I found I have a hard time visualizing the shapes but I guess that's normal for a new player. Anyways, I need another couple of exercises and probably a bit more reading before I feel qualified for my initial rear end-kicking.

The core books for a new player are basically just Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go, which is an all-around book, then books 3 and 5 in the Elementary Go series, Tesuji (a tactical book) and Attack and Defense (a strategic one.) Between those three and a lot of playing it's more than enough to get you to dan rank. As for online tutorials, really there isn't anything that will be worth looking at after day one. Maybe we can have Woss update the OP with that stuff, but in all honesty there isn't much to say on the topic of books since they are mostly just there for when you get stuck.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Books are great and all, but for advancing in rank, theres nothing quite like playing a couple games, or 100 or 200.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Emo Rodeo posted:

Books are great and all, but for advancing in rank, theres nothing quite like playing a couple games, or 100 or 200.

I have mixed feelings about this statement. From 20-14kyu I did nothing but play games and review, but then I took a month off and I just did problems and read some chapters out of Fundamentals and I jumped from 14k to near 11k. So I think it can be both ways. Also I think the higher your rank the more benefit you get from reading. I dunno, just how I feel.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
The guy who runs my Go club sat down with me and we played out/talked about the opening for like an hour because everyone else was late... the next game I played that night, "it seemed like I had gotten three stones better."
So playing vs. reading, I would say that a combination of both would work. If you're reading books about it, and you make sure to really ABSORB everything and understand why a certain piece of advice is the way it is, you'll get leaps and bounds better.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
The best way to do it is just to read through books slowly and play a lot of games as you do, trying to think in terms of what you're learning in the book and attempting to apply it. I'm 8k and have been there for months so obviously you should follow my advice.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Just made it to 11k and I think I might have made a 13k cry.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Double post woot for new goban. It just arrived in the mail. Only $25 for shin-kaya!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

Double post woot for new goban. It just arrived in the mail. Only $25 for shin-kaya!

post a picture of you smashing your head through it from that perspective

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

post a picture of you smashing your head through it from that perspective

By picture I'm sure you mean sweet animated gif.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 30, 2009

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
that is a straight up lovely pic dogg gotta say

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah sorry it was taken on my iSight right before I had to go to work and it was dark in my living room :( I'll take a better one sometime.

Edit: So my iSight is still taking crappy pictures but here is a pic of the board with my 'stones.' I'm using it to solve problems cause i don't have anyone to play with :(

Blendy fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 3, 2009

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
That looks like a decent board, it deserves to have some nice stones to be friends with :(

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

That looks like a decent board, it deserves to have some nice stones to be friends with :(

Fancy stones would be nice, but as I am poor I can only afford these. But that being said I like the feel of these stones and I like how easy the are to use on the board. In person the look isn't so awful.

Edit- also more than nicer stones I would like some wood bowls instead of the weird plastic things they came in

Blendy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 3, 2009

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

Fancy stones would be nice, but as I am poor I can only afford these. But that being said I like the feel of these stones and I like how easy the are to use on the board. In person the look isn't so awful.

Edit- also more than nicer stones I would like some wood bowls instead of the weird plastic things they came in

Keep them in cigar boxes until they pick up that stogie scent for a touch of class. That's some fucken wabi-sabi right there

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

If they're going to smell anything like the cigars my friend's smoked at the last wedding I went to then I'll pass. But now I'm trying to think of other manly things I can use to scent the stones. Gunpowder?

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
I am very sad that you haven't moved yet Woss. Also I haven't seen you in a long time (get on KGS). <3

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
put them in the hollowed out skulls of defeated go champions

if you can't actually defeat the champions at go, try knife fighting

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
loving hell I was in the middle of a good game and KGS went down I cannot express my rage

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Team Go Sluts strikes again. This dude from Brazil just got his mind blown.

ft: very cool i saw ur photo!!!!
ft: =D
blendy: Haha that's not my photo
blendy: I am a guy
ft: come ooooon....AHBUHGAHSUAHUSHAUSHUAHSUAHUS
blendy: haha
ft: really!?!??!!??!
ft: haushuashuashuhaushuashuas
ft: ok.....
blendy: Yes
ft: is that ur girlfriend?!?!?
blendy: Ha no, I just found it online. I'm part of a go group that puts girl's pictures in our profiles
ft: HUAHUHUASHUAHSUHAUSHUAHSUHAUSHUASHUAHSUHAUSHUAHSUHAUSHUASHUASHUAHSUHAUSHUASHUHUSHUAHSUHASUHUAS

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

If wossname doesn't return to KGS to play go by the time I reach shodan, it will prove his teaching is nothing but poison :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
ITGO: SHUASHUASHUASHUASHUAHSHASUUSUAS