Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

I'm looking to query a Windows Search 4.0 index through a web interface, but having difficulties putting together the information I've gathered, since I'm not a programmer.

My original question was laid out in this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/thread/46ddf830-0b98-4806-a67a-a0aea5d7bac6/

The response I received is great, however I don't know how to use it. From what I can tell there should be a section that specifies the connection, a section that defines the query, and a section that displays the query and results in the page.

Does anyone have any reading recommendations on getting started using Asp.net, or even putting together the query/UI components? I don't want to ask someone to do it for me, but tips in the right direction would be helpful since I haven't been able to find any tutorials or walkthroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

2FingersToGlory posted:

I am having a new webiste built and need a bit of advice. The site is pretty much a standard ecommerce site with an ordering system, shopping cart, etc. A local programmer (programmer A) who was reccomended to me proposed programming the site in php and using mysql for database management. However our current hosting company does not support php or mysql. They reccomended someone (programmer B) who proposed programming the site in asp with ms access databases.

We have used our hosting company since the beginning nearly a decade ago and would like to stick with them, but I get the feeling that our site might be better off in the hands of programmer A. Is php more widely used than asp? When we need to find someone to make adjustments or updates to the site down the road, will it be easiter to find someone who does php or asp? Are there any other factors here that are important? Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Basically, anyone who recommends Access for a website backend has no clue about databases. When it comes time for maintenance, you won't be able to find someone who will touch Access with a ten foot pole because they know it'll be a huge mess.
PHP is widely used by many successful companies and so is ASP, but PHP is just plain better.

Get a new host and don't look back.

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

tef posted:

Alternatively, if there are similar pieces of software for ci that suck a lot less I'd be interested too

We use http://www.viewtier.com/products/parabuild/index.htm at work. You will tear your hair out once in a while but we have like 30 builds up and running that are built by Parabuild and once you have set up a build things should work smoothly afterwards. Maybe try the eval version.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

royallthefourth posted:

but PHP is just plain better.

I disagree (depending on the version of ASP).

Using an Access database is pretty much the only red flag in his post, but it's a big loving flag - unless the site is guaranteed to be tiny and then it's just a normal-sized red flag.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
If there was a miscommunication and something more normal like MSSQL is what the ASP solution is going to use, then it's fine. If it's access, clarify to be certain that's what they mean and then say goodbye and take the LAMP stack*. A lot of people have preference of one solution over the other (including other contenders like Ruby on Rails, etc). I personally would go with the one that is giving you the most confidence, which sounds like the php guy.

Also I'd suggest shopping around for other hosting companies if you haven't already. Sometimes people get locked in to huge rates with a place they like, and never realize the same quantity and quality of what they want is out there for much cheaper. Plus many will offer multiple solutions for webhosting (microsoft stuff, php, Ruby on Rails).

* :eng101: LAMP or "LAMP stack" = web developer lingo for "Linux Apache MySQL PHP", which is a very common combination of technologies to run a website with.

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

Thanks everyone for the info, it's really going to help decide who we go with.

Bhaal posted:

If there was a miscommunication and something more normal like MSSQL is what the ASP solution is going to use, then it's fine. If it's access, clarify to be certain that's what they mean and then say goodbye and take the LAMP stack*. A lot of people have preference of one solution over the other (including other contenders like Ruby on Rails, etc). I personally would go with the one that is giving you the most confidence, which sounds like the php guy.

Also I'd suggest shopping around for other hosting companies if you haven't already. Sometimes people get locked in to huge rates with a place they like, and never realize the same quantity and quality of what they want is out there for much cheaper. Plus many will offer multiple solutions for webhosting (microsoft stuff, php, Ruby on Rails).

* :eng101: LAMP or "LAMP stack" = web developer lingo for "Linux Apache MySQL PHP", which is a very common combination of technologies to run a website with.

There was no miscommunication, this is a direct quote from programmer b: "My experience is in ASP programming using MS-Access Databases."

I can't speak for the rates we pay with our hosting company, but the guy provides excellent service. Is it unusual for a hosting company not to support php/mysql?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

2FingersToGlory posted:

Is it unusual for a hosting company not to support php/mysql?

All I can say from what hosting shopping I've done is that, untill more recently, most places were either Linux or Windows, but I have recently seen more places with virtual private servers that can run any OS from a menu the company supports and Windows is usually on there.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

2FingersToGlory posted:

Is it unusual for a hosting company not to support php/mysql?

Yes.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
I'd like to get back into programming for fun but I have limited resources and knowledge about what languages and tools are available.

I'd like to write small programs with graphics, like the little video games I used to make on my calculator back in junior high.

I'm deployed, on a ship, and have terrible bandwidth for downloading compilers, so if there's anything that would already be present on a windows XP install that would be great. Or something small that doesn't require an install.

Another question, that affects the language I'd like to use: how, in programming simple animations, can you produce a smooth animation without blinking? The usual technique to animate an object on a calculator was to draw something, blank the screen, then draw it again in another spot. But thats overkill because only a few pixels really needed to change. There has to be a better way, on a computer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kobax posted:

I'd like to get back into programming for fun but I have limited resources and knowledge about what languages and tools are available.

I'd like to write small programs with graphics, like the little video games I used to make on my calculator back in junior high.

I'm deployed, on a ship, and have terrible bandwidth for downloading compilers, so if there's anything that would already be present on a windows XP install that would be great. Or something small that doesn't require an install.

Another question, that affects the language I'd like to use: how, in programming simple animations, can you produce a smooth animation without blinking? The usual technique to animate an object on a calculator was to draw something, blank the screen, then draw it again in another spot. But thats overkill because only a few pixels really needed to change. There has to be a better way, on a computer.

Java is quite simply the best language for your needs. Very easy to use graphics library, but still very powerful. The JDK is the only download you'll need, less than 20MB if I recall. You might also look at Flash, but that will be more expensive to acquire.

In programming animations, the basic idea to creating a smooth animation is to buffer the next frame off screen and swap the entire buffer in. You can even triple buffer for (sometimes maybe) greater reliability of smoothness!

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

quadreb posted:

Java is quite simply the best language for your needs. Very easy to use graphics library, but still very powerful. The JDK is the only download you'll need, less than 20MB if I recall. You might also look at Flash, but that will be more expensive to acquire.

In programming animations, the basic idea to creating a smooth animation is to buffer the next frame off screen and swap the entire buffer in. You can even triple buffer for (sometimes maybe) greater reliability of smoothness!

I wasn't sure on the terminology but buffering is exactly what I was talking about.

So Java is the smallest language that includes graphical buffering?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kobax posted:

I wasn't sure on the terminology but buffering is exactly what I was talking about.

So Java is the smallest language that includes graphical buffering?

Well, not exactly. You could program an executable binary with notepad if you were perverted enough to learn how to do so. But Java is a language that is free, tons of learning examples and books are available for it, and the graphics don't require you to learn the advanced lower level DirectX or OpenGL libraries. You can step in day one and learn how to drawCircle() and move it around, with buffering or otherwise.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Java? When the hell did Java become good at anything graphical?

Grab Python and Pygame and go nuts.

Edit: I can reccommend Notepad++ or Komodo Edit. Both are pretty good all-round text editors, too because using notepad should be reserved for punishing child rapists.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 1, 2009

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Munkeymon posted:

Java? When the hell did Java become good at anything graphical?
Hey now, AWT is pretty good by 1994 standards. :colbert:

But yes, at the risk of replying to every newbie question with "PYTHONPYTHONPYTHON", what you want is what Munkeymon said.

zootm
Aug 8, 2006

We used to be better friends.
Agreeing with the Python suggestion. The JDK is larger than 20MB if I recall and to use it effectively you really need an IDE, which can be in the hundreds of megs.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, python will kill his understanding of curly braces. There's nothing more important than curly braces.

Edit: Also pygame looks pretty drat complicated for a more or less complete beginner, but I don't have experience with it. You also would need a decent python IDE too. Or just use KWrite/Notepad++ with extensions and get most of the benefits of an IDE in either language. Where is the equivalent to Javadocs?

baquerd fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 1, 2009

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

quadreb posted:

Oh god, python will kill his understanding of curly braces. There's nothing more important than curly braces.

http://www.xach.com/lisp/taste-for-the-web.html

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

That is the worst article.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Avenging Dentist posted:

That is the worst article.

It's not an article silly

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

It's not an article silly

Well of course. "It" is a pronoun.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

quadreb posted:

Also pygame looks pretty drat complicated for a more or less complete beginner

this is horribly wrong.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

This is a much better satire of paul graham:

http://www.paulgraham.com/hijack.html

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

zootm posted:

Agreeing with the Python suggestion. The JDK is larger than 20MB if I recall and to use it effectively you really need an IDE, which can be in the hundreds of megs.

No you don't. You don't need something that huge unless you're doing massive projects. Notepad works fine. If you want syntax highlighting, Notepad++ or Programmer's Notepad will work, not to mention that DrJava is 8MB and has every feature you could ever want to use for small projects.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
SQL question (MS SQL 2005):

I've got two user defined functions (we'll call them FOO and BAR), and we're going to use fields A (my source data), and B, C as target fields.

I'm looking to update a table, using these CLR/user defined functions, and was hoping to do it at once.

This does not work:
UPDATE table SET B = FOO(A), C = BAR(A+B)

The portion of the command BAR(A+B) is looking at the current, pre-update value of the B field, which is null. This makes it sad.

Is there a way to explicitly reference the results of FOO(A) without calculating it twice, as input to another function in the same statement? If there is a way, is it so inefficient that I'm better off updating a large number of records in two statements (one for FOO, one for BAR)?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
This is an implementation detail. You should probably assume that the server is smart enough to cache the result of B so that it doesn't calculate it twice.

To prove this you can make a CTE with FOO(A) precalculated and joined off A. The run times should be near similar, or worse for the CTE (in favor of what should be caching).

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Is there any particular reason why ASCII control codes (say, "^[[2J", to clear the screen), would be filtered out by a Telnet client? My server echoes everything that's transmitted, and it does it on the local side, so I know the control code is correct, but on the client side nothing happens. Anything obvious that I'm likely to be missing?

I ask for IAC extended ASCII just to be safe, and that doesn't change anything.

Disregard, off-by-one error in my transmit function was loving things up :argh:

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 2, 2009

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

I'm wondering how custom code works on bulletin board system like vBulletin or PHPBB.

Say for example, I wanted to give users the ability to put in a custom code like [robot] and that would display a stored jpg of a robot. Or for a more advanced example, maybe [ageinseconds=23], where the user would include the input variable 23, their age in years, and the resulting page would display their age in seconds after doing some simple multiplication.

How would I go about setting that up?

wheres my arm fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 2, 2009

L:ordSilent
Jul 28, 2004
Hey guys. I tried libcurl as suggested earlier when I asked about getting information off of a webpage and it works great. Im having touble displaying the informaton beciase its all in html. How do I make the program view the html like the internet would?

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

L:ordSilent posted:

Hey guys. I tried libcurl as suggested earlier when I asked about getting information off of a webpage and it works great. Im having touble displaying the informaton beciase its all in html. How do I make the program view the html like the internet would?

I don't know how to respond to this. Are you trying to write a web browser? Using libcurl?

Jul 28, 2004
no, I just want to display a part of what I got from the internet.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

no, I just want to display a part of what I got from the internet.

Paste it into notepad, save as HTML, open it in Firefox.

Jul 28, 2004
I kinda of what to do it in program. I have it log in and print only the part of the site that I want to view. I eventually want to put this on my phone or something.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

I kinda of what to do it in program. I have it log in and print only the part of the site that I want to view. I eventually want to put this on my phone or something.

Then why not make this a web application, where you browse to your PHP site or whatever, it does the login and then outputs only the part of the site that you want to view. Then you just use your regular browser or your cell phone's browser.

Jul 28, 2004
While that would be easier I really want to try to do it the other way if possible.

L:ordSilent fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 6, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

While that would be easier I really want to try to do it the other way if possible.

So... you want to write a web browser. Ok.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
On windows there's a p. simple api for using explorer's engine to display poo poo iirc

regardless, there are a zillion saner ways to do this

Jul 28, 2004
Ah. I guess that would be a browser. Scratch my pervious question then. What can i do to strip the html away from the information i want?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Ah. I guess that would be a browser. Scratch my pervious question then. What can i do to strip the html away from the information i want?

In your language of choice that supports regular expressions: String.Replace("<.+?>", "") will strip out anything between angle brackets.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

I found libxml2 to be quite good*, since I assume you're using c with libcurl.

* powerful, but I used the python wrapper lxml.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Pipe it through lynx --dump