Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here is the definitive Supersport buying guide:

1. Pick which bike you think looks best.
2. Buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Phat_Albert posted:

2. Buy it.

What about rear end comfort :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dietcokefiend posted:

What about rear end comfort :(

Buy a Corbin because your rear end will be sore on any of them.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/1147095363.html had to let you guys see this

yeah i think i'll buy it just for those pictures it comes with the girl right

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The girl is probably an illegal massage parlor worker. You should see if he'll knock $1000 off unless she can produce documentation.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Phat_Albert posted:

2. Buy it.

But I have to be able to brag to my buddies. that in a theoretical race where all our skills levels were exactly the same, conditions were optimal for all our bikes I would win!

Choosing the fastest sport bike srs bsnss!

Fake edit: I don't believe any of the above....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

rifles posted:

quote:

All maintenance has been done every 1,000 miles so it is ready to go.

Wow, all maintenance! Must be a bitch doing the 100k service every thousand miles!

(Excuse me while I'm hopelessly pedantic)

My favorite thing about the changing guard of SS 600s is my absolute love of how the fastest bike for the year will reflect on all of the other bikes from that same maker. KLR? Just got cool again. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Ugh, ran out of gas today and it turns out my reserve pickup is clogged. Luckily I was riding with my father-in-law so I got to suntan and smoke cigarettes on the shoulder while he found a gas can and a gas station on his Goldwing.

Just a warning to everyone else: switch to reserve for a bit and make sure it works once in a while.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

8ender posted:

Just a warning to everyone else: switch to reserve for a bit and make sure it works once in a while.

I usually run the first 20 miles or so of each tank on reserve, just for this reason. I would think it's better to have all the gunk on the bottom of the fuel tank go through your carbs a little bit at a time, versus all at once (or clog it).

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006
So long story short, I managed to dumbass half of my right index finger off. Everything after the joint closest to the tip is gone. I have adjustable levers, so after I'm done getting stuffed full of vicoden and antibiotics, will getting back on the bike be as easy as pulling the lever back a click where I can reach it?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Uh... what did you do?

And you're going to be spending a lot of time making your hand strong again. And waiting for it to finish healing. There will be PT for it, GO. I poo poo you not, GO TO PT. I'll say it once more. Go to PT.

That said, hands build up strength fast. You likely won't even have to adjust the lever.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

null0ne posted:

So long story short, I managed to dumbass half of my right index finger off. Everything after the joint closest to the tip is gone. I have adjustable levers, so after I'm done getting stuffed full of vicoden and antibiotics, will getting back on the bike be as easy as pulling the lever back a click where I can reach it?

:gonk: Holy christ. Were you wearing gloves? If so what kind so I can make sure I dont buy them? Was it some sort of slide or did you pull one of the "cleaning chain while rear tire is up and spinning and finger caught inside the sprocket" jobs?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
That's totally not half. I could show you half a finger missing, but my dad's asleep. Seconding gory details on what you did, and GO TO PT. In addition, work your finger when you're not at PT like they tell you to. The people who had the toughest time were the ones not pushing themselves at home. I know it hurt him quite a bit, but my dad kept pushing on his finger to make it bend, and he ended up having a fairly speedy recovery.

Also, buy some warm gloves for the winter. You're going to feel that. Be prepared to be dropping things more often. On the bright side, you'll start meeting a lot more people who have chopped off fingers.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

dietcokefiend posted:

Was it some sort of slide or did you pull one of the "cleaning chain while rear tire is up and spinning and finger caught inside the sprocket" jobs?

Hey, I didn't lose the finger, jerk. It just got a little dinged up, is all. :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

rifles posted:

Yes but Maintenance will eat you alive.

null0ne posted:

Jesus, what happened man? was it bike related?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

kdc67 posted:

On the bright side, you'll start meeting a lot more people who have chopped off fingers.
like when you buy a different car and all of a sudden you start noticing other people with that car and waving to them!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

blugu64 posted:

Jesus, what happened man? was it bike related?

My money is on an extreme nail-biting problem.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

My money is on an extreme nail-biting problem.

Gang initiation.

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

:gonk: Holy christ. Were you wearing gloves? If so what kind so I can make sure I dont buy them? Was it some sort of slide or did you pull one of the "cleaning chain while rear tire is up and spinning and finger caught inside the sprocket" jobs?

That is exactly what happened (caught between chain and sprocket while cleaning). Clearly my brightest moment. Also, I can do better than gory details. I have pictures.

Obviously warning, bloody, etc

ow

ow

ow

The blood vessels in the index finger were "obliterated", so they took these horrible clipper things and cut the bone off piece by piece. It is now a few cm shorter than where you see the fun beginning in the picture. The middle finger is missing a bunch of skin and might have "light" nerve damage, but should be alright once poo poo grows back.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
holy hell.. I suppose it makes sense that a chain/sprocket could do that. I've cleaned my chain several times, and I don't see why you'd need to have your hand close enough to get caught in there.. How'd you manage it? Just a screw up?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
:gonk:

God, that looks horrible. I make a very big point to clean the bottom run of chain and rotate the tire clockwise so that I don't do this. Yeesh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Were you cleaning it while it was running and in gear? If so, classic move.

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Were you cleaning it while it was running and in gear? If so, classic move.

Lubing it, yup. And to be fair, after this it will probably only take one, two more severed fingers tops for me to learn my lesson. I describe it as dumbassing my finger off for a reason...

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

null0ne posted:

Lubing it, yup. And to be fair, after this it will probably only take one, two more severed fingers tops for me to learn my lesson. I describe it as dumbassing my finger off for a reason...

Now was the bike running at the time or were you spinning it by hand? I ask because depending on how free your chain spins you can build up some inertia and if you get caught with the chain the sprocket is still going to do some damage before the tire comes to a halt. I have had similar ouch situations working with heavy compressor pulleys that were off, just getting my finger caught between the belt and pulley. Usually it is just a horrible pinch and a fingernail looking funky for a while.

After I saw my first set of finger picks from chain lube stories, I will only lube that drat thing from behind the bike facing the very end of the sprocket and chain circle. Ugh :gonk:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

To be fair, I only had the bike idling in neutral.

Holy loving christ, I hope PT goes alright for you. :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

null0ne posted:

Since everyone freaked out over the accident and no one answered your question:

Yes, it's as easy as that. Depending on which finger you pulled the hardest with, you may have to modify your braking style slightly.

Go to PT and work it at home.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
It's amusing, on my dualsport, when I wanted to brake and gas at the same time, I'd use the ring and little fingers for the gas and the first and middle fingers for the brake.

But on my new bike I've gotten a habit of using my ring finger for gentle braking. I imagine it's a really bad habit, and I have no idea where I picked it up from.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Orange Someone posted:

It's amusing, on my dualsport, when I wanted to brake and gas at the same time, I'd use the ring and little fingers for the gas and the first and middle fingers for the brake.

But on my new bike I've gotten a habit of using my ring finger for gentle braking. I imagine it's a really bad habit, and I have no idea where I picked it up from.

Doesn't matter as long as it's comfortable for you and you can still get max braking as needed. I still use my first 2 fingers on the brake.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Z3n posted:

Doesn't matter as long as it's comfortable for you and you can still get max braking as needed. I still use my first 2 fingers on the brake.
Yeah, if memory serves, my NH MSF course told me I should be using all fingers to brake, but I found it really easy to overbrake doing that. I definitely feel like I have enough strength in my pointer/middle finger to flip myself right over the handlebars, if necessary.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

null0ne posted:

That is exactly what happened (caught between chain and sprocket while cleaning). Clearly my brightest moment. Also, I can do better than gory details. I have pictures.

The blood vessels in the index finger were "obliterated", so they took these horrible clipper things and cut the bone off piece by piece. It is now a few cm shorter than where you see the fun beginning in the picture. The middle finger is missing a bunch of skin and might have "light" nerve damage, but should be alright once poo poo grows back.

Ooooh ok. You did the same thing my dad did. Only he did it to his middle and ring fingers by clearing out a snow blower. ("It wasn't SUPPOSED to be turning." Yeah, ok, Dad.) It'll definitely hurt, but you'll be fine in the long run. :) Good luck with your recovery!

You may also want to avoid the following:
  • Working on a running 4 wheeled vehicle, especially while pressured to do it quickly
  • Placing your hand anywhere near a running saw, safety feature on or not
  • Removing grass from a running lawn mower
  • Punching a box fan

Classic Halloween tip for ya: Get a rubber finger. Cut to fit over your index finger. Fill with fake blood. Find victims and "bite off" your fingertip.

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006

kdc67 posted:

Ooooh ok. You did the same thing my dad did. Only he did it to his middle and ring fingers by clearing out a snow blower. ("It wasn't SUPPOSED to be turning." Yeah, ok, Dad.) It'll definitely hurt, but you'll be fine in the long run. :) Good luck with your recovery!

You may also want to avoid the following:
  • Working on a running 4 wheeled vehicle, especially while pressured to do it quickly
  • Placing your hand anywhere near a running saw, safety feature on or not
  • Removing grass from a running lawn mower
  • Punching a box fan

Classic Halloween tip for ya: Get a rubber finger. Cut to fit over your index finger. Fill with fake blood. Find victims and "bite off" your fingertip.

See all of those things sound like good times to me. Also, I hadn't even started thinking of all the things I'll be able to do prank wise... good times. Thanks for the reassurance, guys, not sure what I'd do if I would've managed to prevent myself from riding while working on my bike. I'll let you know how PT goes and the first day I'm back in the saddle. Back to playing pheonix wright/sleeping for me.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

null0ne posted:

See all of those things sound like good times to me. Also, I hadn't even started thinking of all the things I'll be able to do prank wise... good times. Thanks for the reassurance, guys, not sure what I'd do if I would've managed to prevent myself from riding while working on my bike. I'll let you know how PT goes and the first day I'm back in the saddle. Back to playing pheonix wright/sleeping for me.

You may want to get one of these (or something similar): Shark Fin. One's getting put on my bike when I finally get my rear end in gear and put it back together. I don't think I'm likely to get my fingers eaten, but anything that makes it harder is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
How can 2 fenders and a fuel tank retail for $4800?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1150695623.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

How can 2 fenders and a fuel tank retail for $4800?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1150695623.html

My friend, back in the day when he worked in a shop, priced out the cost of a Kawasaki Z1 engine, from brand new parts out of the parts list. It was almost 3x the cost of the entire bike.

With that said, that dude is smoking dope and got ripped the gently caress off.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

They are coated in solid gooooooooooooolllllldddddddd. Or they just know that people are retarded and will pay whatever premium they demand of them to have official Harley pieces.

No way is a petrol tank worth $2500. Not even if it gently massages your balls while you ride. :colbert:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Simkin posted:

No way is a petrol tank worth $2500. Not even if it gently massages your balls while you ride. :colbert:

I thought that was the entire reason to ride a motorcycle?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

I thought that was the entire reason to ride a motorcycle?

Man, I've been doing this poo poo all wrong for years. :xd:

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I burst my motorcycle cherry today. Rode around a parking lot for an hour on my friend's KLR650. I stalled it at least 10 times trying to get going without giving it too much gas, but by the time I was done for the day I had getting started down pretty well and was getting it up to 2nd and back down with no issues. No falls, crashes or anything, but I did learn about target fixation when I saw I was headed for a parked truck, and kept staring at it thinking "don't hit that truck" and yet I kept heading for it. Luckily I snapped out of it and turned in time.

I'm hooked on this poo poo big time.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Simkin posted:

original mint condition aftermarket "sport" oversized tanks for my 50 year old BMW don't cost this much. but they don't massage balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

McCheese posted:

I'm hooked on this poo poo big time.
Fun, ain't it? I bought a new 150cc Chinese scooter a year ago just to ride to work/go fishing/save gas, and now I own 3 Hondas.