Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

bison wings posted:

[edit] I didn't see you had already mentioned it, sefer :(

Probably best to have it rehosted and save giantitp.com some bandwidth anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

CK07 posted:

What checks do you make vs. pickpocketing? It's been way too long since I've played...

SRD posted:

If the character tries to take something from another creature, the character must make a skill check against DC 20. The opponent makes a Spot check to detect the attempt. The opponent detects the attempt if her check result beats the character's check result, regardless of whether the character got the item.
DC      Task
--      ----
10      Palm a coin-sized object, make a coin disappear
20      Lift a small object from a person

So, to steal a small bag of diamonds is a DC 20 check. If a DC 20 is made, the thief gets the item. The only thing the victim can do is notice the theft, not stop it.

This lead to an old CO character, the Stripper, a thief who could use spring attack to move up 15 feet, hit someone with a greatsword, steal every magic item besides armor, weapon, and shield, drop a cursed Scarab of Fleshgrinding down their pants, jam boots of tripping on their feet, and then spring 15 feet back as a full action. :black101:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mystic Mongol posted:

This lead to an old CO character, the Stripper, a thief who could use spring attack to move up 15 feet, hit someone with a greatsword, steal every magic item besides armor, weapon, and shield, drop a cursed Scarab of Fleshgrinding down their pants, jam boots of tripping on their feet, and then spring 15 feet back as a full action. :black101:

I'd allow half of that maybe and if my thief character pointed at the books and kept insisting i'd have a dragon eat him.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's worth mentioning that Sleight of Hand checks are a standard action, unless you take a -20 penalty to make it a free action. Why that never got errata'd into a swift action is beyond me.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

So I'm hearing about these book-thingie supplementals. Are they available online anywhere? I can't find it, and nothing about it - and I very much doubt that there's any store in my country with them in supply.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cabbit posted:

It's worth mentioning that Sleight of Hand checks are a standard action, unless you take a -20 penalty to make it a free action. Why that never got errata'd into a swift action is beyond me.

It was a level 9 build, if I remember correctly, and not only was it taking the -20, the build had some obscure feat that let you take 10 for pickpocket at any time.

Also, they were too busy coming up with monsters like the sarrukh to bother fixing their old stuff.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

So I'm hearing about these book-thingie supplementals. Are they available online anywhere? I can't find it, and nothing about it - and I very much doubt that there's any store in my country with them in supply.

Mostly, no. As far as 3E and 3.5E goes, you can get the System Rules Document (SRD) from various sources, the best of which is d20srd.org. The material included in the SRD is the core rulebooks minus tables for character progression (that is, the level/XP table from the PHB and the challenge rating/XP table from the DMG) and whatever monsters are WOTC's intellectual property; stuff like Mind Flayers and Beholders.

There are two additional books that were released as OGL by WOTC, which are Unearthed Arcana, which is all kinds of variant rules, and the Expanded Psionics Handbook, which is psionics. Everything else is only available in book form.

D&D books are available pretty well anywhere--try retailers like Amazon.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Spazmo posted:

Mostly, no. As far as 3E and 3.5E goes, you can get the System Rules Document (SRD) from various sources, the best of which is d20srd.org. The material included in the SRD is the core rulebooks minus tables for character progression (that is, the level/XP table from the PHB and the challenge rating/XP table from the DMG) and whatever monsters are WOTC's intellectual property; stuff like Mind Flayers and Beholders.

There are two additional books that were released as OGL by WOTC, which are Unearthed Arcana, which is all kinds of variant rules, and the Expanded Psionics Handbook, which is psionics. Everything else is only available in book form.

D&D books are available pretty well anywhere--try retailers like Amazon.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the OotS books.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Idran posted:

Well, if he is, then no, they're not (legally) available anywhere online. Unless you count ordering the books online, that is.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Idran posted:

That... makes a lot of sense. I got tripped up by the rules discussion.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

V. Illych L. posted:

So far the best place I've seen for them was comic book stores. Surprisingly, our local nerd shop doesn't have them (the owner is far too busy with Magic the Gathering and nerd-raging against White Wolf and Games Workshop stuff, it appears).

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
If supporting your local comic/game store isn't an option, APE Games is the official retailer for the books and the game

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Right, many thanks. Um, which of these are worth getting?

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
On the Origin of PC's and Start of Darkness are the supplemental ones. The other three are essentially the online comic but with some added content like comments or extra strips.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Yikes, it updated again. The wait to the next comic after this will be agonizing!

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
The server is hammered right now:

Click here for the full 707x939 image.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Seeing how the site goes down more often than a baby giraffe with a skateboard under each foot...

Edit: gently caress, beaten.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

so, Xykon isn't a lvl 50 character, but he's not going to lose this fight. I wonder if the cloister spell effect will purge the soul splice or something like that.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Remember, V lost the most powerful member of the splice and has been slinging high level spells left and right. Thus V has a severely reduced caster level and probably is running low on higher-level spells. Xykon is still probably mostly charged.

There's also the possibility that Xykon may have already left Azure City.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

bison wings posted:

so, Xykon isn't a lvl 50 character, but he's not going to lose this fight. I wonder if the cloister spell effect will purge the soul splice or something like that.

Considering Xykon is himself an epic level sorcerer, has an army of cannon fodder at his fingertips, holds two very powerful evil divine casters at his beck and call, and basically has the reigns of the series Deus Ex Machina, I can't really see that even needing to happen. V is deep within the throes of some pretty deific hubris here, on top of all that, so.. yeah, this won't end well at all for her.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
We still haven't seen the last soul do a big, awesome spell yet.

While I have no doubt this won't matter and Xykon will still gently caress V up something hard, its going to be sweet, and I cannot wait!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Assuming that V breaks through cloister, which is a big assuming, he still has access to 3 very powerful spells.

In his surprise round he burns a Time Stop. This buys him a minimum of 2 rounds.

1st round of timestop, a delayed blast fireball, set to detonate the beginning of the round that timestop ends.

2nd Round of timestop, Force Cage around Xykon, she can do this because area spells are allowed. Finally he should move directly next to the force cage.

All rounds in between, should she have any more, he throws delayed blast fireballs into the cage. V's damage output should be ludicrously high. If this enough to destroy Xykon, she then burns a location spell to find Red Cloak and the phylactery, Red Cloak should pose no challenge. If it is not he must then dismiss his force cage on her turn, and then hit Xykon with Imprisonment. Odds are a sorcerer did not pick freedom as a spell choice.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Judging by the souls' reactions, this is what the fiends had intended to happen all along. I guess we're about to find out what happens when an unblockable teleport meets an impenetrable barrier.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Unless Xykon and Redcloak have already moved out to Girard's Gate. Thpppbt, another soul gone!

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Red_Mage posted:

Assuming that V breaks through cloister, which is a big assuming, he still has access to 3 very powerful spells.

In his surprise round he burns a Time Stop. This buys him a minimum of 2 rounds.

1st round of timestop, a delayed blast fireball, set to detonate the beginning of the round that timestop ends.

2nd Round of timestop, Force Cage around Xykon, she can do this because area spells are allowed. Finally he should move directly next to the force cage.

All rounds in between, should she have any more, he throws delayed blast fireballs into the cage. V's damage output should be ludicrously high. If this enough to destroy Xykon, she then burns a location spell to find Red Cloak and the phylactery, Red Cloak should pose no challenge. If it is not he must then dismiss his force cage on her turn, and then hit Xykon with Imprisonment. Odds are a sorcerer did not pick freedom as a spell choice.

Probably should do different types of damage instead of just fireballs in case of resistances or protections. I wonder how any Protection from Good/Neutral/Evil spells Xykon has up will react to V's condition. (PLEASE nobody answer that if it brings up the alignment argument again...)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ahahah this thread reminds me of OOtS after Sage Advice, as it's reaching Williams-Cook levels of rules lawyering. Dragon magazine featured some pretty loving good comics.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

CK07 posted:

Probably should do different types of damage instead of just fireballs in case of resistances or protections. I wonder how any Protection from Good/Neutral/Evil spells Xykon has up will react to V's condition. (PLEASE nobody answer that if it brings up the alignment argument again...)

I don't see how there even is any argument. He is clearly still whatever alignment he was before. He hasn't done anything evil.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Half-dragons and such aren't necessarily of any particular alignment, even if they have black dragon ancestry. So if Rich is playing this sensibly, V probably pulled the Ark-of-the-Covenant on a lot of Good and Neutral individuals.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Amused Frog posted:

I don't see how there even is any argument. He is clearly still whatever alignment he was before. He hasn't done anything evil.

no no no no no

Halloween Jack posted:

Half-dragons and such aren't necessarily of any particular alignment, even if they have black dragon ancestry. So if Rich is playing this sensibly, V probably pulled the Ark-of-the-Covenant on a lot of Good and Neutral individuals.

NO NO NO NO NO

Forget I asked. For the sake of the thread.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

/fan flames

hey guys, do you think the Snarl is Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
He's obviously Lawful Good because he follows orders and is nice to people.

duh

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bison wings posted:

/fan flames

hey guys, do you think the Snarl is Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil?

Oh, that's a lame flame-fanning post.

Hey guys. Redcloak's not really evil, because he's just doing it for his people and blah de bloo.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

There's this little-remembered clause to Protection From spells you guys are ignoring in order to start up the whole alignment terror thing again: all of them provide a barrier to Outsiders. Outsiders cannot touch the protected individual.

I don't think that will be a factor. Protection from * doesn't prevent ranged attacks or casting (with the exception of mind-affecting spells and possession). Spell resistance also allows the Outsider to ignore the protection as well, and didn't V cast some kind of resistance spell while dealing with the dragon?

I like the idea of the unblockable teleport/impenetrable barrier conundrum, especially since it's so close to a known tear in the fabric of reality. There's definite kablooey potential there.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

bartolimu posted:

I like the idea of the unblockable teleport/impenetrable barrier conundrum, especially since it's so close to a known tear in the fabric of reality. There's definite kablooey potential there.

...and I just realized how Rich is gonna manage to keep the party separate for another couple years. :smith:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

rotinaj posted:

Hey guys. Redcloak's not really evil, because he's just doing it for his people and blah de bloo.

That'd sound ridiculous if every single alignment argument ever didn't have at least one guy who pretty much goes with exactly that. "Shouldn't protection from evil give Killfuck Babyeater McRapenburn a bonus to AC against the paladin? After all, from Killfuck's point of view, the paladin is evil!"

Alignment arguments are impossible to parody like that--there isn't a fake argument you can make in them that someone hasn't already done in all seriousness.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

I want to play a character named Killfuck Babyeater McRapenburn now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

bison wings posted:

I want to play a character named Killfuck Babyeater McRapenburn now.

Only if he's a Paladin.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

There's this little-remembered clause to Protection From spells you guys are ignoring in order to start up the whole alignment terror thing again: all of them provide a barrier to Outsiders. Outsiders cannot touch the protected individual.

No, they provide a barrier to summoned creatures.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

rotinaj posted:

Oh, that's a lame flame-fanning post.

I would agree with this entirely. Redcloak is probably closer to good than any of the central characters, with the possible exception of Varsuvius, who seems to be close to actually becoming an avatar of pure good that a Paladin could only dream of being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Amused Frog posted:

I would agree with this entirely. Redcloak is probably closer to good than any of the central characters, with the possible exception of Varsuvius, who seems to be close to actually becoming an avatar of pure good that a Paladin could only dream of being.

Miko must be so jealous.