Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think that was the point at all? Unless I'm missing something and he has a grudge because you ran over his grandma' or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick
The reaction made it funnier.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyone else read Dark Reign: The Cabal? I can't be the only one who thought of this.

Click here for the full 974x664 image.

Drumroll please...

I really wish I could have cleaned that up somehow. I love how great a set-up those 3 panels are, I'm sure someone can come up with a better ruination.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

hermanos posted:

Yes, please, keep trying to make it look like I'm nerd raging spergin out over that. Heaven forbid I think something is stupid.

Take a joke, please.

Edit: That is a great sequence of events, Lurdiak. If it were just one image, I think it'd spoil it, since you'd immediately look to that the second you saw it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thanks. But I meant I wish I could have made the second image look at all like it's from the same comic.

Zodberg
May 22, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Sion posted:

This works exactly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks. But I meant I wish I could have made the second image look at all like it's from the same comic.

gently caress that noise I almost busted a rib laughing at that.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

hermanos posted:

Yes, please, keep trying to make it look like I'm nerd raging spergin out over that. Heaven forbid I think something is stupid.

I thought it was just a ....joke?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Well I made mention of it in the Badass thread (which is where the quote is from) but I figured that this might get a laugh out of people if I made it into a ruin the moment thing.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Wait wasn't he not the sole survivor of Mars until he beat the poo poo out of all the White Martians? Or were the White Martians not from Mars?

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Wait wasn't he not the sole survivor of Mars until he beat the poo poo out of all the White Martians? Or were the White Martians not from Mars?

They wouldn't be Martians then would they

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

He didn't kill them, anyway.

And now Miss Martian (who is a white Martian) is hanging around.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Endless Mike posted:

He didn't kill them, anyway.

And now Miss Martian (who is a white Martian) is hanging around.

Someone doesn't remember the Burning Martian story arc! He was an evil genetic throwback at the time, which excused the genocide.

Plus this is (I think) from before Miss Martian showed up, so at the time it's a perfectly logical thing for him to say.

JohnThermos
Dec 8, 2005

I CAN HAS USB NOW?
Don't forget J'onn's brother, Ma'alefa'ak, who showed up during Ostrander's run.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Thanks to Was Taters for the source.

Saw this and the first thing that popped into my head is what you see.

I'd like to think that he and Bruce just carry variations on this in their utility belts for just such occasions.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Ha! Are we going to get a variation of "Babs Gordon Gets Dick Grayson a Giant rear end gently caress Coffee" ?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

The Missing Link posted:

Ha! Are we going to get a variation of "Babs Gordon Gets Dick Grayson a Giant rear end gently caress Coffee" ?

"But that's not hacking the internets, it's just a coffee!"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Sion posted:

This is fantastic

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Missing Link posted:

Maybe a "dear babs, you suck" ?

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Since we're talking cliches.

forgot which free image service was autoblocked

Gassire fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 7, 2009

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Gassire posted:

Since we're talking cliches.
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/my.php?image=nightwingsmall.jpg

You typed some things twice

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I mean, who knows where Tarantula has been ?

edit: this isn't really a very funny edit it all, sorry folks

well why not fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 6, 2009

elcyberGoth
Nov 3, 2002

Please, the terms of my parole say I mustn't

maltesh posted:

More love for this

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm amazed and slightly gratified that that drat cat picture hasn't shown up again

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Lamuella posted:

I'm amazed and slightly gratified that that drat cat picture hasn't shown up again

I was amazed that Dickbutt didn't show up in the letter, myself.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

maltesh posted:

Man, The Wall must have eaten a shitload of carrots to turn that shade of orange.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

"Why don't you put the whole world in a wheelchair." is amazing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Thanks to Was Taters for the source.

Saw this and the first thing that popped into my head is what you see.

I'd like to think that he and Bruce just carry variations on this in their utility belts for just such occasions.

This only reminds me how much I hate it when writers have minority/disabled characters make racist or otherwise insensitive jokes to show how "cool" and "laid-back" they are.

If the first thing that pops into your head for a disabled character to say is a joke about being crippled, then you should probably slow down and take another pass at it, because all you're doing is giving yourself permission to indulge your laziness.

EDIT: This is not to say that some characters can't be "cool" about their disability or other situation, but Barbara was shot in the spine and presumably raped by the Joker. That's a bit different than being crippled in a car accident or having polio.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 12, 2009

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liberal Idiot posted:

This only reminds me how much I hate it when writers have minority/disabled characters make racist or otherwise insensitive jokes to show how "cool" and "laid-back" they are.

If the first thing that pops into your head for a disabled character to say is a joke about being crippled, then you should probably slow down and take another pass at it, because all you're doing is giving yourself permission to indulge your laziness.

EDIT: This is not to say that some characters can't be "cool" about their disability or other situation, but Barbara was shot in the spine and presumably raped by the Joker. That's a bit different than being crippled in a car accident or having polio.
I'm pretty sure she wasn't actually raped. The whole 'photo shoot' aspect was more about Jim than Barbara if you're taking this from the Killing Joke. (Plus I hate the cliche that if any female character has some tragedy occur, it HAS to involve rape, somewhere. Pissed me off when Heinberg did it in Young Avengers no end.)

And Barbara was Batgirl. Given how lovely Gotham's shown to be, and her dad and step-mom's job (Jim still was married to Sarah Essen, right?), it's pretty likely she's developed a good gallows sense of humour. You'd have to to avoid losing it. Now, Mary Marvel under the same circumstances (assuming DC weren't intent on ruining that character already)? Yes, I'd expect her to be a bit more sombre about that.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure she wasn't actually raped. The whole 'photo shoot' aspect was more about Jim than Barbara if you're taking this from the Killing Joke. (Plus I hate the cliche that if any female character has some tragedy occur, it HAS to involve rape, somewhere. Pissed me off when Heinberg did it in Young Avengers no end.)

And Barbara was Batgirl. Given how lovely Gotham's shown to be, and her dad and step-mom's job (Jim still was married to Sarah Essen, right?), it's pretty likely she's developed a good gallows sense of humour. You'd have to to avoid losing it. Now, Mary Marvel under the same circumstances (assuming DC weren't intent on ruining that character already)? Yes, I'd expect her to be a bit more sombre about that.

Maybe I did jump to conclusions about what happened in Killing Joke. Even if it doesn't apply to Barbara, though, I still don't like that particular convention of writing for minority or disabled characters.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure she wasn't actually raped.

When I first heard about the book and first read it, I thought rape was implied. Then I read it years later and don't know where I got that notion from. I thought I read somewhere that DC had Moore tone down that scene, but I can't find proof of it now. I may be making up internet rumors!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Who the hell was raped in Young Avengers?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cabbit posted:

It was heavily implied that Kate Bishop was. Granted, you can argue that Jessica Jones is able to relate to her and part of the point is that she was NOT raped by Kilgrave, but the impression I got is that they were relating on that level.

Now, if another writer has her specify or Heinberg himself says that she was just mugged or something, great. Seriously, I'd love that to be the case, but it's pretty hard to get that from what's been shown on panel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Hawkeye. It was revealed in flashback in that one-shot with all the different artists, if I'm not mistaken. That's why she took the self-defense classes mentioned in the first trade.

E;fb

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure she wasn't actually raped. The whole 'photo shoot' aspect was more about Jim than Barbara if you're taking this from the Killing Joke.

Yeah that's always the impression I got too, the Joker had zero sexual interest (or power interest, for that matter) in Barbara, he just took the photos to get a rise out of Gordon to prove a point that one bad day can make anyone into a monster. Of course, Gordon specifically tells Batman NOT to kill the Joker and bring him in to face justice, proving the Joker wrong.

Gaz-L posted:

(Plus I hate the cliche that if any female character has some tragedy occur, it HAS to involve rape, somewhere. Pissed me off when Heinberg did it in Young Avengers no end.)

Absolutely, it's one of the (many) reasons I loved Alias so much, they avoid the cliche and make what happened to her far worse without resorting to the shock value of :siren:RAPE!:siren: which would have been a lazy and "easy" out for the writer to take.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

When I first heard about the book and first read it, I thought rape was implied. Then I read it years later and don't know where I got that notion from. I thought I read somewhere that DC had Moore tone down that scene, but I can't find proof of it now. I may be making up internet rumors!
Booster saved her from being raped but got his rear end beaten in the process. :colbert:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Thought I'd go with a Ruin the Moment hat trick.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Are wasabi fries real? I could get into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

The Werle posted:

Are wasabi fries real? I could get into that.

They are real, and they are awesomely awesome.

• Locked thread