Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pie.rat
Jul 1, 2007

C45H74O10

Susan Calvin posted:

Why does this:

fart like he's trying to ward off the devil?
Uhhh your cat is pretty much indistinguishable from mine except that my cat wears a turqoise collar instead of a green one.

Although some cats are just smelly, it is possible that he's having trouble digesting some ingredient in his food if the vet rules out parasites. My smelly cat's stench seems to have diminished slightly after I switched him from Blue Buffalo Chicken dry / a variety of the BB wet flavours to the Wellness grain-free wet foods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Superconductor posted:

Just toss 'em to him as they are and let him chew on them and eat what he can. If he breaks off and swallows chunks that's fine, as long as they're raw. After a few days throw anything leftover away once it starts to get gross.

Great, thanks! It's so nice to be able to ask people who actually do feed raw since I'm usually pretty cautious about these things.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Susan Calvin posted:

He does have flea allergies, but as far as I can tell, that has no bearing on food allergies. He also had fleas when he was in the shelter a few months ago (before I got him) and because of that, the vet couldn't tell from his fecal float if he had worms. I haven't seen any signs the vet told me to watch for, (ie, rice like segments in his poop or on his butt) but he has been having loose poops. The kind that are almost diarrhea and stink in an eye-watering way.

So has his poop been soft/stinky ever since you got him? There are a number of parasites that can be hard to detect in a float. (What do fleas have to do with being able to read a fecal float? I don't understand that part.) Did he ever get dewormed? Where I work we usually deworm new shelter cats by default.

It could be anything from parasites to giardia to bacterial upset to food allergy to Inflammatory Bowel Disease. It sounds like he needs a fecal exam and a dewormer just to start. Are you saying his poop is better on the canned food? If so the solution may just be to switch him to that, or try another brand of dry food, but I'd have your vet take a look at his poo again.

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?

Crooked Booty posted:

So has his poop been soft/stinky ever since you got him? There are a number of parasites that can be hard to detect in a float. (What do fleas have to do with being able to read a fecal float? I don't understand that part.) Did he ever get dewormed? Where I work we usually deworm new shelter cats by default.

It could be anything from parasites to giardia to bacterial upset to food allergy to Inflammatory Bowel Disease. It sounds like he needs a fecal exam and a dewormer just to start. Are you saying his poop is better on the canned food? If so the solution may just be to switch him to that, or try another brand of dry food, but I'd have your vet take a look at his poo again.

He's never been dewormed, no. They told me that because if his fleas, he may have ingested any number of them, and wouldn't get an accurate tapeworm read.

I honestly only noticed the change in the last few weeks. He's always had kinda groady poop, but.. it's poop. The vet told me that they'd have to examine him to know more, so I made an appointment to have him looked at.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Susan Calvin, did I miss earlier where you told us what he's eating? Food obviously can play a huge role in the consistency and stinkosity of his poop.

edit: I did miss it, Blue Buffalo Salmon and Rice, right? OK, well, what I would do personally is I'd try other foods, and hopefully you'll come across one he both loves and that agrees with his digestive system. Be sure to transition him slowly, and give it a couple of weeks after the full transition is made before deciding whether the new food is a go or not. My cats eat Innova EVO, and all of their poops are compact, very un-stinky turds, so maybe your guy would like EVO too? v :) v

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
I thought someone on here has used Veterinarian's Best Cat Lube Hairball & Digestive Aid for their cats hairball problems and wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with it? Good or bad reviews?

http://www.amazon.com/Veterinarians...41278171&sr=8-8

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
I wasn't sure if this dilemma deserved it's own thread, so going with the thread title I'll post it here.

My neighbors seem to really like owning Pit Bulls. I'm not too sure which type since I'm not much of a dog person but they look like a slightly uglier version of the American Pit Bull Terrier and a little bit more muscular. Anyways, I personally think they're complete poo poo when it comes to owning pets and they always seem to just stay out on the deck all day long. They owned two previous pits but one was rather aggressive and they gave it away/took it to the pound, and the other (which was really nice and would come play with my dog in the yard when it was a puppy because they didn't leash it in the backyard so it poo poo in our yard) still had a choke chain on it and while chained to a tree managed to strangle itself.

But recently as I was outside reading I saw the owner let the dogs off the deck to go to the bathroom in the backyard. I didn't think anything of it until she started shouting and it seemed like they really weren't coming back on the deck and I noticed her pick up a rather large stick, not a thin kind of whipping stick, but think thick like the cardboard toiletpaper rolls. At first I thought it was a stick she was going to throw on the deck to entice them to coming back but no, as they got back on the deck I noticed her hitting them repeatedly with it and just sat their dumbfounded. Like, I realize disobedient dogs should be disciplined but I never really felt that hitting a dog accomplished anything.

So basically is this something I should report to some kind of authority? We've called animal control on them before because their dogs would get out and had nipped my sister once.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

jackson1 posted:

So basically is this something I should report to some kind of authority?

YES! Hitting a dog with a stick that big is cruelty. A dog choking itself tied to a tree is as least neglect. Call animal control and tell them everything you know about these people's poor treatment of their dogs. It's no wonder they had a dog become aggressive if they're handling them that way. If animal control isn't able to take their dogs from them, feel free to spy on your neighbors and take pictures of them beating their dogs as evidence. Please let us know what happens.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I just heard that my Mum bought by little sister a 4 week old guinea pig from a pet store today :doh:

Now, they already have two adult guineas who are happy, healthy little pigs, and we had guinea pigs for years when I was growing up, but my instinct says that 4 weeks old is too young?

Apparently the three pigs all get on well together, but still, the age makes me concerned. Anything special that they need to do with a guinea that young?

Aaand the obligatory photo:

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

hhgtrillian posted:

I thought someone on here has used Veterinarian's Best Cat Lube Hairball & Digestive Aid for their cats hairball problems and wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with it? Good or bad reviews?

http://www.amazon.com/Veterinarians...41278171&sr=8-8

That would be me, and I absolutely LOVE them for my cat Eowyn. She coughs up a huge hairball every single day when she's not on them (even though she's a shorthair she has TONS of hair). They also seem to reduce the frequency of her puking overall (she's a puker, in general). And she absolutely loves them.

That said, I'm probably gonna try just sprinkling some fiber on her normal food for a while and see how that goes, since the treats have to be ordered online (can't find them near me anymore). I like them way better than any of the normal hairball aid stuff though. She would not eat the pastes.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Ceridwen posted:

That would be me, and I absolutely LOVE them for my cat Eowyn. She coughs up a huge hairball every single day when she's not on them (even though she's a shorthair she has TONS of hair). They also seem to reduce the frequency of her puking overall (she's a puker, in general). And she absolutely loves them.

That said, I'm probably gonna try just sprinkling some fiber on her normal food for a while and see how that goes, since the treats have to be ordered online (can't find them near me anymore). I like them way better than any of the normal hairball aid stuff though. She would not eat the pastes.

I think I might try these sometime, based on what you have said today and in the past. I have one puking cat (Fred) and one hairball puking cat (Hu). The only food I've found so far that Fred doesn't puke is dry California Natural Chicken and Rice (and canned Science Diet i/d old formula which they don't make anymore). The problem is that CN is low in fiber and Hu pukes hairballs on it. He grooms himself plus all the other cats so he pukes them regularly. I had him on some hairball dry food formulas for a while that seemed to help, but he has issues with eating and I need to leave food out all the time so that wouldn't be good for the Fred who would eat that food and puke it immediately. I tried fiber for a while on Hu, and I don't think it really worked, but may try it again. I have started giving Fred his daily medicine in Beechnut turkey baby food since that just has turkey, no cornstarch or anything like Gerber does. I'm convinced it's the carrageenan for sure (and possibly guar gum and possibly egg) that pretty much all canned foods have that he has issues with. I may try a version of Fancy Feast that doesn't have carrageenan (but has guar gum) at some point depending on how the turkey baby food goes. With four cats, it's a chore getting everyone's diet worked out. The other two have their own issues, but it's not puking.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I think we've decided to get a third cat. :3:

I would like to rescue an older cat, but my husband is much more receptive to a kitten, and OMG, kittens are hard to resist. I am home most of the day, and husband is on 3 weeks of vacation, so the time seems ripe to add to our kitty family.

Currently we have 2 cats. A 12 year old grumpy-lady cat that is very pushy/demanding/grumpy, and an 8 year old whiny-butt cat that is clingy/assholey/mischievous. Both cats are female/spayed, and both are very friendly and confident. They tolerate each other well enough, but no kitten piles. We have weekly (if not nightly) wrestling fights over the best spot in bed. In the last 2 years, they have been friendlier towards each other, and enjoy daily chases, and "OMG don't attack me, I'm just grooming myself" sabotages.

I'm having a hard time thinking about the type of personality our potential new cat should have. We are drawn to jerk-face rear end in a top hat too smart for its own good cats, but we kinda already have two of those. I was thinking that a chillax male, with a submissive streak would fit in well, but I'm not drawn to them at the adopt-a-thons.

I've never met a cat I didn't like (except for feral/abused cats) so I'm not too concerned about the new cat. But, personality is top priority, I just am not sure what personality is best for us. Any thoughts?

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Ceridwen posted:

And I took your recommendation, now feed them to my DSH Spike, and can add my recommendation to the mix. As a bonus, if you end up liking them [er...if your cat does], they're 4-for-3 at amazon.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Susan B. Antimony posted:

And I took your recommendation, now feed them to my DSH Spike, and can add my recommendation to the mix. As a bonus, if you end up liking them [er...if your cat does], they're 4-for-3 at amazon.

I decided to pick some up at Petco tonight, and my jerk of a cat won't eat them. I've tried them on two of my four cats and those two smelled them and walked off. They're the two that are usually the least picky about food. I'll try to sprinkle it on their canned food tomorrow.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Sorry, man. What I did before was just smear the paste onto my cat--he'd clean it off, and tada! But you've probably already tried that.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Sorry, man. What I did before was just smear the paste onto my cat--he'd clean it off, and tada! But you've probably already tried that.

Actually these are the treat/pill ones. I've used the Lax'aire gel type stuff in the past, and he will eat that, so I may go back to that.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

hhgtrillian posted:

Actually these are the treat/pill ones. I've used the Lax'aire gel type stuff in the past, and he will eat that, so I may go back to that.

Sorry, I was unclear--I had assumed that you were switching to pills because he refused paste, so I was mentioning my paste strategy.

jess
May 26, 2005

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

Meow Cadet posted:

I think we've decided to get a third cat. :3:

I would like to rescue an older cat, but my husband is much more receptive to a kitten, and OMG, kittens are hard to resist. I am home most of the day, and husband is on 3 weeks of vacation, so the time seems ripe to add to our kitty family.

Currently we have 2 cats. A 12 year old grumpy-lady cat that is very pushy/demanding/grumpy, and an 8 year old whiny-butt cat that is clingy/assholey/mischievous. Both cats are female/spayed, and both are very friendly and confident. They tolerate each other well enough, but no kitten piles. We have weekly (if not nightly) wrestling fights over the best spot in bed. In the last 2 years, they have been friendlier towards each other, and enjoy daily chases, and "OMG don't attack me, I'm just grooming myself" sabotages.

I'm having a hard time thinking about the type of personality our potential new cat should have. We are drawn to jerk-face rear end in a top hat too smart for its own good cats, but we kinda already have two of those. I was thinking that a chillax male, with a submissive streak would fit in well, but I'm not drawn to them at the adopt-a-thons.

I've never met a cat I didn't like (except for feral/abused cats) so I'm not too concerned about the new cat. But, personality is top priority, I just am not sure what personality is best for us. Any thoughts?

Wouldn't it be hard to determine what personality a kitten would end up with?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

jess posted:

Wouldn't it be hard to determine what personality a kitten would end up with?

Definitely. Plus a lot of kittens are assholes for a long time before they mellow. If personality is your priority, I definitely recommend getting an adult cat from a rescue. A cat currently in a foster home (as opposed to a shelter) would be ideal since the foster parents will be able to tell you all about the cat's quirks and attitude. They'll also know if the cat is the type to harass the hell out of your other older cats.

Solar Cuckulator
Mar 14, 2008

hay guys lets smoke!!:havlat:
Would it be too crowded to have a cat in a 675 sq ft apartment? How about 2 cats?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Liquid Smoke posted:

Would it be too crowded to have a cat in a 675 sq ft apartment? How about 2 cats?

If you have enough vertical space for them to climb on stuff, then no. A cat tree or two goes a long way in creating zooming/climbing/jumping space. http://www.armarkat.com has great trees, and you can get the same ones on ebay for even cheaper. (Don't buy one from a pet store until you look at the ebay prices -- most stores will charge you more than $100 for something tiny and boring. Get something huge that goes up to the ceiling.)

I would be worried about having a cat in an apartment that small without a playmate just because if they're bored, they're going to drive you totally nuts in such a small space. At the same time I'm a little reluctant to encourage you to get two pets without knowing more about your situation. I would also be reluctant to have two kittens in a place that small because kittens are crazy and good at being obnoxious, especially if they're bored/confined. I would go with two relaxed adult cats and a really big cat tree.

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

Liquid Smoke posted:

EFB!

You can pile up two or three and maybe even four cats in that size of an apartment if you are willing to put up with the litter boxes. You should have +1 litter boxes to cat ratio. Also cat a cat tree or two ( http://www.armarkat.com/index.php you can get the same ones or ones quite like it off ebay cheaper) plus empty shelves help with acquiring cat piles.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Liquid Smoke posted:

I had 5 cats in an 800 square feet apartment ;) It's fine as long as they all get on, and you have vertical space (I had lots for them to climb all over including the largest cat tree I could purchase online).

The litter trays are the only concern there though; obviously the smaller your place is, the less option there is for litter trays and I HATED having litter trays in my kitchen but I didn't have much choice.

Burnt Out Case
Oct 2, 2006

the revolution begins with two wheels

fyallm posted:

How can I stimulate/exercise my dog? We run/jog/walk a lot, but I was wondering if there was something else i could do? He has a kong, loves rope toys, i tried to get him the toy that has the treats on the side, and he doesnt like them.. I was wondering any toys other than kongs to stimulate him, and any ideas to help wear him out and get his mind thinking?

Here is the lazy guy:

Awesome looking dog. Looks like a rat terrier I fostered. Is he obedience trained? If so, have you thought of training him more? I am in the process of training the smarter of my two dogs to stay at 30 feet, or with me outside of the room. Its pretty fun, and it wears him out. After we work at it for awhile he conks out.

Solar Cuckulator
Mar 14, 2008

I like the idea of 2 cats because my parents have a couple that grew up together and get really bored without each other. But one of my roommates has allergies, and we're trying to minimize the damage. Also, I was already planning on adopting.

Do you think that a couple cornish rexes would result in less hair than a normal shorthair? I really can't afford a fully hairless cat.

and does this look good for the cat tree? http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/for/1135494489.html

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Liquid Smoke posted:

I like the idea of 2 cats because my parents have a couple that grew up together and get really bored without each other. But one of my roommates has allergies, and we're trying to minimize the damage. Also, I was already planning on adopting.

Do you think that a couple cornish rexes would result in less hair than a normal shorthair? I really can't afford a fully hairless cat.

and does this look good for the cat tree? http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/for/1135494489.html

Most people are not allergic to the cat hair, but the dander and saliva. Hopefully your roommate will adjust, but it would be better if you waited until you were not in a roommate situation to get some cats. It's usually a recipe for drama, that results in homeless cats.

I have that same cat tree, and I bought it for around $100-$150 new, on clearance. You can get much better cat trees at https://www.armarkat.com.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Liquid Smoke posted:

Is your roommate fully on board with you getting cats?

It takes a LOT to have a cat live with someone who has allergies, and even more to have 2 cats live with someone with allergies. Also, hair is not what causes the reaction, it's a protein in the saliva, so getting a breed with less hair often does nothing to reduce allergic reactions. The siberian breed has a mutation that results in them not producing the protein that most people react to, but they are not cheap and you need to make sure the breeder tests for the mutation (they don't all have it).

Purebred cats are very rare in rescue, regardless of breed, and rexes are unlikely to cost you any less than sphynx (hairless) cats.

Because of the allergies I would not get a second hand cat tree. It's impossible to get them completely clean and it's not worth adding extra allergens from other cats to the situation. You can get new cat trees for cheap from https://www.armarkat.com or on ebay if you search for armarkat. I'd recommend faux fur over faux fleece as it's easier to vaccuum.

Solar Cuckulator
Mar 14, 2008

My roommate really likes cats and has one at home. He says as long as the cat doesn't sleep in his room or the living room it is fine. He's very easygoing, i don't think it will be a problem.

After looking at wikipedia it seems that russian blues are slightly hypoallergenic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Blue should i get a couple of these? Also, how likely is it that cats listed as russian blues on petfinder actually are?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Liquid Smoke posted:

My roommate really likes cats and has one at home. He says as long as the cat doesn't sleep in his room or the living room it is fine. He's very easygoing, i don't think it will be a problem.

After looking at wikipedia it seems that russian blues are slightly hypoallergenic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Blue should i get a couple of these?

Don't buy a cat from a breeder. If your roommate has a regular cat at home and can deal with the allergens, get a cat from a shelter or rescue. No matter what breed, the amount of allergens is going to vary a lot from cat to cat -- I am allergic to some cats a lot more than others for no apparent reason, and my allergies tend to get better the more time I spend around an individual cat. Please don't buy a cat.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Buying a cat isn't inherently bad, as long as you find a good breeder. What I would be more hesitant about is having a pet at all in a roommate type situation. How long are you rooming together? Is it a permanent type situation? If you'll be moving around a lot and dealing with different people and different places in the next five years or so, I would hold off on a pet at all. If you need a cat or dog fix, you can always volunteer at the local rescue/shelter.

Solar Cuckulator
Mar 14, 2008

Crooked Booty posted:

Don't buy a cat from a breeder. If your roommate has a regular cat at home and can deal with the allergens, get a cat from a shelter or rescue. No matter what breed, the amount of allergens is going to vary a lot from cat to cat -- I am allergic to some cats a lot more than others for no apparent reason, and my allergies tend to get better the more time I spend around an individual cat. Please don't buy a cat.

Yeah i'm adopting.

Solar Cuckulator
Mar 14, 2008

nonanone posted:

Buying a cat isn't inherently bad, as long as you find a good breeder. What I would be more hesitant about is having a pet at all in a roommate type situation. How long are you rooming together? Is it a permanent type situation? If you'll be moving around a lot and dealing with different people and different places in the next five years or so, I would hold off on a pet at all. If you need a cat or dog fix, you can always volunteer at the local rescue/shelter.

I'm probably going to stay in this apartment complex for a while, even if i drift away from my roommates or something, and they allow cats.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
Long story short, I adopted an older male cat a month ago, and a week later a young female cat followed me home. I've taken the stray in, had her vetted, and slowly introduced them.

The older cat I adopted, Satchmo, has been nothing but problems and cuddles, and I don't know if the cuddles are outweighing the problems anymore. :( He's been to the vet several times in such a short period, and medically, he's fine. He still seems super stressed, though. The vet had him on a 21-day run of amitriptyline, but that didn't seem to do anything for him. Occasionally he'll just go loving nuts and bolt around my tiny (200 sq. ft.) apartment, obsessively licking himself, and twitching his tail all around. I know he's stressed out, but I don't know what to do for him. :( I try to keep him calm and gently stroke him, and that works for a little bit, but then he'll flip out again. I've also tried playing with him during this time, and he'll get really bitey. He also seems to swat at things that aren't there, and licks/chews at his front legs. It's like he's a little meth head. :( The biggest problem of all, for me, has been the THREE TIMES he's now peed on me in bed, while I've been sleeping.

I admit, things have been hectic for him. He was super duper chill when I had visitors sleeping over for a week, though. He was getting a fucktonne of attention, and was really mellow. They went home yesterday, and last night I was peed on for the third time. Each time he's peed on me, my boyfriend has been sleeping over. The friends that were here were all female. Maybe Satchmo doesn't like men? Another thing to note is that he used to live with an elderly lady, and was surrendered when she went into a nursing home. I have a feeling that maybe Satch just needs way, way more attention than I can give him, since he's probably used to having one person who's home much of the time. I'm a homebody, but I'm out of the house 10 hours a day for work a few days a week, and then in and out for classes the other days. He seems most stressed out at night, when I've come home after he's been alone for awhile. I play with him and stroke him and he seems to calm down, but then he pees on me at 3am. Agh.

It's been really hard to get attached to him when things have been so rocky. The stray that followed me home has been a total lovebug, but is also pretty independent and totally fine with being left alone for awhile. I could put Satchmo in the bathroom at night, but he just yowls. I don't know what to do. I don't want to put him back into the shelter system, but I think he needs someone who's home more often than I am. The rescues in this city have no more foster homes available right now, since cat overpopulation is a huge problem. He really doesn't seem to be adapting, and I've already spent upwards of $1000 on him in the past month. I can't keep doing that. What's the best option for both of us?

edit: I have a FeliWay diffuser going, they're both eating Solid Gold (transitioned from Purina), they each have a litter box, and they're both using their boxes all the time (except when Satch pees on me).

Salacious R. Crumb fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 3, 2009

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Im thinking about making a little tank(2.5 or 5.5) with hardy aquatic plants and...a marimo ball. (dont know about fish, probably not) ... Would something like this need a filter and water changing? Do I need an aquarium topper light for plants like java fern/moss or is daylight enough? Does the marimo need any special water, aka will tap water kill it if I dont set it out/treat it?

Shmee!
Jan 2, 2009
I somehow got to own nine very young (female) mice. They eat, and behave healthy, but don't use the water bottle, so I put down a water dish, which they drink from. Of course it has to be cleaned about six times a day, what with the bedding-throwing and whatnot. I need them to figure out the bottle.

They are very small, but the bottle is so placed that they can reach it. Is it possible they are too tiny to move the ball-bearing thing that is supposed to be licked for waterdrops? Should I table the issue until they grow bigger or can something be done?

Solar Cuckulator
Mar 14, 2008

Shmee! posted:

I somehow got to own nine very young (female) mice. They eat, and behave healthy, but don't use the water bottle, so I put down a water dish, which they drink from. Of course it has to be cleaned about six times a day, what with the bedding-throwing and whatnot. I need them to figure out the bottle.

They are very small, but the bottle is so placed that they can reach it. Is it possible they are too tiny to move the ball-bearing thing that is supposed to be licked for waterdrops? Should I table the issue until they grow bigger or can something be done?

Josh?

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
I got a new dog about 2 months ago and he's great, here he is a few days after we got him:

Roommate and her boyfriend

He was about 9-12 months old or so in those pictures. I know he's very skinny and we're working on that. He's healthy otherwise.

I housebroke him via crate and he's doing very well. I have some questions:
What breeds do you think he is? The kennel said he was an American Bulldog mix, but I'm not sure about that.

He has a problem with jumping on people playfully and can really scratch the hell out of you. Normally I knee him on the chest or pop him on the nose when he jumps up and yell "NO!" but that isn't working so well. He also likes to put your hand/forearm in his mouth while playing, like he's play-biting. To remedy this, I'll yell "NO!" and either pop him on the nose, hold his mouth shut with my hand, or hold onto his lower jaw and shove my thumb down his throat to the point where he's gagging (hopefully so that he doesn't want a hand in his mouth again).

Before the bleeding hearts harass me, I don't hit him hard (he's almost completely un-phased) and I don't like physically disciplining him. Anyone have a particular method that works well?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Liquid Smoke posted:

That's not a bad cat tree, however you can get a brand new one at armarkat.com for the same price. Shipping is free in the US.

http://www.armarkat.com/classic-cat-tree/classic-cat-tree-a7101/prod_23.html
This one is taller, has more features and is nicer for $109. (72" high)

http://www.armarkat.com/classic-cat-tree/classic-cat-tree-a7463a/prod_26.html
Same with this one for $125 (74" high)

http://www.armarkat.com/classic-cat-tree/classic-cat-tree-b7801/prod_28.html
$129 (78 inches high and two perches for two cats!)

Just poke around on the site, there are a lot in the $100-$125 range that are 70" and above that have way more fun stuff for the cats to play with and the sisal rope and all that will still be nice etc.

bee soup posted:

The rescues in this city have no more foster homes available right now, since cat overpopulation is a huge problem. He really doesn't seem to be adapting, and I've already spent upwards of $1000 on him in the past month. I can't keep doing that. What's the best option for both of us?

I'm really sorry things aren't working out well for Sach. He's a beautiful boy and I was really pulling for him. Have you tried maybe putting him in a cat carrier by your bed? Maybe between your pillows on the bed or on your night stand? That way he's close to you but contained? Make it all nice with pillows and a t-shirt of yours. Even if you get a bigger one with a litterbox in it and see if that helps the yowling since he's near you? Have you taken him back to the vet to see what else they might be able to do or if they think he'll calm down with more time?

What you can do is look up cats on petfinder.com for your area and contact the rescue groups that are putting up the ads. A lot of times they are more than happy to help and post an ad for you as long as you are willing to foster and take care of the cat until a new home can be found.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Allright posted:

I got a new dog about 2 months ago and he's great, here he is a few days after we got him:

Roommate and her boyfriend

He was about 9-12 months old or so in those pictures. I know he's very skinny and we're working on that. He's healthy otherwise.

I housebroke him via crate and he's doing very well. I have some questions:
What breeds do you think he is? The kennel said he was an American Bulldog mix, but I'm not sure about that.

He has a problem with jumping on people playfully and can really scratch the hell out of you. Normally I knee him on the chest or pop him on the nose when he jumps up and yell "NO!" but that isn't working so well. He also likes to put your hand/forearm in his mouth while playing, like he's play-biting. To remedy this, I'll yell "NO!" and either pop him on the nose, hold his mouth shut with my hand, or hold onto his lower jaw and shove my thumb down his throat to the point where he's gagging (hopefully so that he doesn't want a hand in his mouth again).

Before the bleeding hearts harass me, I don't hit him hard (he's almost completely un-phased) and I don't like physically disciplining him. Anyone have a particular method that works well?

He looks a lot like the dog I grew up with, who was a black lab/great dane cross, not that this is very scientific or anything. He had that same sort of glossy black coat that I didn't even realize wasn't quite typical of a lab until years later. Maybe he's a lab/american bulldog cross? He's a beaut! How big is he? Ben got to be about 120.

As to the jumping up thing: he's trying to get your attention/affection when he does that. The best thing to do is to turn around and completely ignore him for a few seconds/minutes every single time he does it. NEVER pet him or praise him when he jumps up, even if you don't mind that particular time. And kneeing him in the chest or popping him on the nose might be negative attention but it's still attention and some dogs don't care one way or another.

This has helped a lot with my puppy, he has stopped about 90% of his jumping just from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009

KilGrey posted:

I'm really sorry things aren't working out well for Sach. He's a beautiful boy and I was really pulling for him. Have you tried maybe putting him in a cat carrier by your bed? Maybe between your pillows on the bed or on your night stand? That way he's close to you but contained? Make it all nice with pillows and a t-shirt of yours. Even if you get a bigger one with a litterbox in it and see if that helps the yowling since he's near you? Have you taken him back to the vet to see what else they might be able to do or if they think he'll calm down with more time?
Thank you so much for all your help through this. I might try the carrier thing, but I doubt that he'll enjoy being confined all night (especially with another cat roaming around). I might try sleeping with my partners' shirt or something and giving Satch lots of love, to show him that my partner's smell isn't threatening when it's in bed with me. Elvis is going into the vet on Wednesday to make sure her spay incision is healing properly, so I'll take that opportunity to discuss Satch with my vet. I think it might be best to bring him into the vet again to make sure he's still not having any physiological problems, but if all his unpleasant behaviours are stress-induced, and anti-anxiety medication and synthetic pheremones haven't helped, well, I don't know how much longer I should wait to see if he mellows out. Maybe I should surrender Elvis instead... I guess she would have a better chance at adoption. I just don't know what to do.

I called animal services and they recommended that I bring him back, but they also said that he probably has no chance of re-adoption, so if I bring him back there it kind of seems like a death sentence. :(