Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
McCheese: The first ride is always free. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

dietcokefiend posted:

How can 2 fenders and a fuel tank retail for $4800?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1150695623.html

Harley custom shop stuff is what I'm guessing. That can get very spendy, depending on the design amd execution. I believe you get a factory warranty but other than that, I can't imagine it costing that much from a local custom paint shop.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What sort of stuff would I expect from a Kawasaki KZ1000 police issue? I mentioned it in the Police thread, that I found a 1998 model for sale near me for 3k. Full front windscreen and hard luggage attached to the rear. Looks awesome for long distance touring. Liter bike yes, but it is a bit on the heavier side and the engine doesnt seem to be as high strung as say an R1 or ZR10 for example.

EDIT: holy poo poo, insurance at my same coverage level is only 170 bucks. I think my zx600 is around 276. Liability only.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 4, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, what are you waiting around here for?

:siren: CHiPS awaits. :siren:

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*
Ring riders reprazent!

First three laps went excellent. Caught up with a whole bunch of vehicles: e30 M3, TT, Cayman, Murcielago (ha!), Suzuki TLR, ZX750 and some others I can't remember (the adrenaline may have caused some amnesia). First lap was especially awesome since the track was completely empty but there were alot of bystanders, felt like they were cheering for me. :shobon:

On the fourth lap I got absolutely completely destroyed by some gray old local geezer on a ratty RVG250 and could barely keep up with another old local dude on a old model BMW GS1200. The guys with the MYK and the DAU number plates (locals) are the ones to fear.

I loving love the 'Ring even though this weekend completely bankrupted me.

Any other riders?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

jujube posted:

Any other riders?

I'm passing through Germany this summer, but don't think I have the balls to take my 23 year old bike there. Is it easy to get passed alot but still not get rearended?

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*

Ola posted:

I'm passing through Germany this summer, but don't think I have the balls to take my 23 year old bike there. Is it easy to get passed alot but still not get rearended?

Yeah sure, no problem at all. Just use your indicators when you get out of the way. As for old bikes, I've seen two 70 year old bikes on the 'ring. One was driven by a >150 kg sack of lard, a big blob of leather. He even got a small applause and a few cheers at the exit/entrance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hmmm. I'll reconsider then. Besides, a 'Ring sticker on the back gives +5 hp. I always wanted to buy a stack of Ring stickers and put them on scooters, electric wheelchairs and the like.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

How can 2 fenders and a fuel tank retail for $4800?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1150695623.html

Looks like a stock tank and fender paint scheme. Ordering painted parts from Harley is a bitch. Usually anything over a few years old will have to be custom ordered from the factory, where they'll get a primed tank and paint it to whatever stock color you want. The whole process takes at least 6 weeks.

And I think Harley paint is upwards of $80 a quart (I forget what the actual price was, I tried not to deal with anything more than touch-up paint).

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

dietcokefiend posted:

What sort of stuff would I expect from a Kawasaki KZ1000 police issue? I mentioned it in the Police thread, that I found a 1998 model for sale near me for 3k. Full front windscreen and hard luggage attached to the rear. Looks awesome for long distance touring. Liter bike yes, but it is a bit on the heavier side and the engine doesnt seem to be as high strung as say an R1 or ZR10 for example.

EDIT: holy poo poo, insurance at my same coverage level is only 170 bucks. I think my zx600 is around 276. Liability only.

I made a post about my experiences with a KZ1000P in the cop gear thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3118984&pagenumber=2

One thing to add, they sit high very high.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Crayvex posted:

I made a post about my experiences with a KZ1000P in the cop gear thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3118984&pagenumber=2

One thing to add, they sit high very high.

Like how what high are we talking? Like high center of gravity or really high seat height? both?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

Like how what high are we talking? Like high center of gravity or really high seat height? both?

Both. It has a high center of gravity and the cop bike forums are full of shorties trying to find ways to lower the bike so they can stand flat footed on the ground. I'm over 6' so it isn't a problem for me.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Crayvex posted:

Both. It has a high center of gravity and the cop bike forums are full of shorties trying to find ways to lower the bike so they can stand flat footed on the ground. I'm over 6' so it isn't a problem for me.

Can you compare it to any other bike? Perhaps a V-strom ;). I know it weighs more but I really hope the seat height isnt something crazy like 35".

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Seat height 30.7 in.

Lots of info here:
http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_Police_Motorcycles

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Welp, dropped my first bike.

Was pulling it out of the garage and just lost the balance, I suppose. Luckily there's a trailer in the garage with tires on the side. The back seat went right up against it perfectly and supported it.

drat a 750 if hard to pick up I'm not sure how you guys get it from the ground.

No damage. Yeah! :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Christoff posted:

It's all in the technique.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Well it was pretty much at 45 degrees, maybe less, leaning against something. So I only really had one way of pulling it up. Plus I didn't want to let it rest like that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I gently dropped mine the other day after some rear end in a top hat parked next to me funny and blocked me in. I felt it going over and managed to ever so softly lay it down on the right crash bar. That technique Doctor Zero linked to (the first one) works really well.

Even though it was embarrassing one good thing was that I found out my bike can rest completely on its crash bars without anything else touching the pavement.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Christoff posted:

Was pulling it out of the garage and just lost the balance, I suppose. Luckily there's a trailer in the garage with tires on the side. The back seat went right up against it perfectly and supported it.

I'm always curious when people say they dropped a bike so I have a question. Were you straddling it at the time of the drop? I'm assuming no, but...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I'm always curious when people say they dropped a bike so I have a question. Were you straddling it at the time of the drop? I'm assuming no, but...

I was pulling it out of my garage backwards (walking) holding onto the handle bars. I was on the left side of the bike. It's a tight squeeze so I have to go forward/back a couple times. While moving backwards it was as simple as "OH poo poo LEANING TO THE RIGHT TOO MUCH"

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

Dont feel too bad. The first time I was moving my bike around the garage I was standing on one side of it to move it around, stopped and placed it down with a bit of forward motion. Kickstand went back and up, bike went down on me crushing my legs and my torso. Try bench pressing a 400lb bike off you when the foot rests are stabbing your legs and your rear end is smashing fairings laying on the ground :(

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
With proper bike picking up technique I probably wouldn't have minorly tore a piece of cartilage in my knee when I picked up my old VERY HEAVY Ninja 250

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh man, thanks for posting this. I always remembered that video showing the "proper technique" and could never get it to work on my bike - turns out it's what these guys call the proper technique for large bikes. The deciding factor seems to be width - it doesn't work on my bike because the bike isn't wide, and lies nearly flat on the ground when it's down.

Christoff posted:

I was pulling it out of my garage backwards (walking) holding onto the handle bars. I was on the left side of the bike. It's a tight squeeze so I have to go forward/back a couple times. While moving backwards it was as simple as "OH poo poo LEANING TO THE RIGHT TOO MUCH"
Mr. Clark2's question kind of leads to this, but it's something should be said - try to be sitting on the bike when you're moving it. It's much harder to drop.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Mr. Clark2's question kind of leads to this, but it's something should be said - try to be sitting on the bike when you're moving it. It's much harder to drop.

Yeah, I usually try to back it in the garage unless I'm in a rush. Otherwise I pull it out, start it up, throw on my gear, close garage, etc.

I think from now on I'll be doing it seated. Lesson learned.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I was...... Awkwardness at a stop sign at a road that sloped to the right. Down I went and the bike on top of me. In my defense, I am a girl. Multiple people witnessed it and help me pick it up.

Bruised my shin and my pride. Bike was a bit scrapped up and wouldnt start - but did after a little goon help.

I pretty much consider it to be both my smoothest and finest moment ever. I am the queen of suave.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I had something similar happen the other day. I rolled up to a stop light, put some pressure on my left grip, the bike started started to lean to the left, and suddenly I could not put my foot down.

yes, my shoelace had gotten caught on the gaurd above the peg (always wear boots, heh). Fortunately, I had about six inches of slack in the lace, so I managed to stop the bike at what seemed to be about a 45 degree angle. My shin is pretty scraped, but my pride will need some therapy.

anyone else ever get their shoelace caught?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlueBayou posted:

I was...... Awkwardness at a stop sign at a road that sloped to the right. Down I went and the bike on top of me. In my defense, I am a girl. Multiple people witnessed it and help me pick it up.

Bruised my shin and my pride. Bike was a bit scrapped up and wouldnt start - but did after a little goon help.

I pretty much consider it to be both my smoothest and finest moment ever. I am the queen of suave.

If it makes you feel better, I once saw a guy fall over at a stop light on a scooter. He was sitting at the light, had been stopped for probably 10 seconds, and then he just toppled over. I cracked the hell up, he stood up, took a bow, and lifted his scoot back up.

Looking back on that, all I can think is that he must have been drunk as gently caress.

Edit:

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

Yes, gotten lucky and never dumped a bike because it though. It's great when it catches on the shifter and it shifts you into first as you rightously slam your foot to the ground. :xd:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

I had something similar happen the other day. I rolled up to a stop light, put some pressure on my left grip, the bike started started to lean to the left, and suddenly I could not put my foot down.

yes, my shoelace had gotten caught on the gaurd above the peg (always wear boots, heh). Fortunately, I had about six inches of slack in the lace, so I managed to stop the bike at what seemed to be about a 45 degree angle. My shin is pretty scraped, but my pride will need some therapy.

I have once, not enough to cause a problem though. I was already getting off the bike with the side stand down, and my left boot's laces got caught on the shift lever. I try to always tuck in the laces around the outside of each boot before I ride. I need to get a pair of riding boots without exposed laces.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

sirbeefalot posted:

I have once, not enough to cause a problem though. I was already getting off the bike with the side stand down, and my left boot's laces got caught on the shift lever. I try to always tuck in the laces around the outside of each boot before I ride. I need to get a pair of riding boots without exposed laces.

when in doubt, duct tape.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131710

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
So after the second head gasket failure on my F650GS since I bought it a few months ago, I took the head and cylinder in to the dealership to have them look at the mating surfaces. They told me they needed to be resurfaced, which I was expecting, and quoted me $425 for the job, including 1.5 hours labor($125) to remove the valves(I could easily go to Sears, get a valve spring compressor for $20 and have them out in 10 minutes, and I know relatively poo poo about engines). I didn't have $425, so I sulked home with my engine, cursing the PO for selling me this money pit.

Today I called up a local cylinder head guy and in a couple hours I had a beautifully resurfaced head and cylinder, valves in place the whole time, for $40 each.

I'm really amazed how they tried to gently caress me over, I feel like taking that quote BMW gave and pinning it on my wall.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

rifles posted:

when in doubt, duct tape.

Zip ties are the new duct tape :colbert:

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Legerdemain posted:

So after the second head gasket failure on my F650GS since I bought it a few months ago, I took the head and cylinder in to the dealership to have them look at the mating surfaces. They told me they needed to be resurfaced, which I was expecting, and quoted me $425 for the job, including 1.5 hours labor($125) to remove the valves(I could easily go to Sears, get a valve spring compressor for $20 and have them out in 10 minutes, and I know relatively poo poo about engines). I didn't have $425, so I sulked home with my engine, cursing the PO for selling me this money pit.

Today I called up a local cylinder head guy and in a couple hours I had a beautifully resurfaced head and cylinder, valves in place the whole time, for $40 each.

I'm really amazed how they tried to gently caress me over, I feel like taking that quote BMW gave and pinning it on my wall.

BMW dealers can be real sharks. I was once bent over for 500 and change for a pair of sprockets, chain and an oil change. I was coming back from a long trip and didn't feel that the chain/sprocket combo was going to get me home.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
So I've been working on my FCR carb upgrade for my DRZ all week (a bit here and there where I have time) and all I can say is gently caress! Getting the new carb in by myself isn't going to happen. It's supposedly shorter than the stock setup but I can't make it fit. Hopefully my roommate or a buddy can help me this weekend. Also, I'm hoping my stock throttle cables fit because I just want to ride the DRZ, forget any extra work.

Why can't I be more mechanically inclined!!!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I've got to take the wheels off my R1 when I get it tomorrow. How hard of a process is this? Also how much should I look at paying to have a set of tires mounted on the wheel and balanced?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've got to take the wheels off my R1 when I get it tomorrow. How hard of a process is this? Also how much should I look at paying to have a set of tires mounted on the wheel and balanced?

For the first - it can vary widely by bike and design. I don't have experience with an R1, so I'll address the second.

You should be looking at between $50 and $75 a tire. I paid $89 a tire with new valve stems (mine were cracked) and tax. That was on the bike. Some places give you a break if you pull them off yourself. Also, make sure they even do it. Some places won't touch them unless you bought the tires from them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Does it need to be safetied and certified before you register it? I've had good luck in the past swinging deals with the shops safetying my bikes to get them to put a tire or two on for only $40 or so over the cost of the safety.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I talked to one of the senior salesmen in the Eurobike section of the local giga-dealer, he says he's planning on setting up a V7 Classic for demo rides. Should I sign up, or should I really sign up?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

For the first - it can vary widely by bike and design. I don't have experience with an R1, so I'll address the second.

You should be looking at between $50 and $75 a tire. I paid $89 a tire with new valve stems (mine were cracked) and tax. That was on the bike. Some places give you a break if you pull them off yourself. Also, make sure they even do it. Some places won't touch them unless you bought the tires from them.

Dizamn, the local Honda/Yamaha dealer near me charged 25 flat per wheel for mounting, balancing, and core. This is off bike of course, but they dont care where the tire comes from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

8ender posted:

Does it need to be safetied and certified before you register it? I've had good luck in the past swinging deals with the shops safetying my bikes to get them to put a tire or two on for only $40 or so over the cost of the safety.

I don't think it does it is currently registered. Does it need to be re-safety inspected before I buy it or after? The registration expires in July. I have no idea about CA tag laws and such.