Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

complex posted:

Hope I can sneak it off a mirror this weekend...

I still don't see it released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

complex
Sep 16, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

I still don't see it released?

They will be building over the weekend.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/schedule.html

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Well, it's proprietary and I guess Nvidia just doesn't feel the need to do it. I don't know if this completely anecdotal evidience means anything, but I've had nothing but stability problems running Xorg on amd64.
The funny thing is that there has been a 64-bit nvidia driver for Solaris 10 x86-64 for some time now and it works great.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Installed 7.2 on my amd64 system this morning. Of course, X is even more hosed than before. This time out I can't even get any sort of minimal configuration to work. Nothing. And it seems they removed any and all sorts of config tools. I managed to get something working with the commandline tool with 7.1, but now it's gone too. So I guess if "Xorg -configure" doesn't work you can just go gently caress yourself.

This is pretty bad. I'm more than a little afraid to upgrade my openbsd system if X is this hosed.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
So I want to build an awesome router.

Due to the way our campus network is built, all network connections are exposed directly to the internet. In the dorms, they are also wired so that each jack will always get the same IP address, and elsewhere on campus each MAC address will always receive the same IP. (For the record, though this is not really relevant, wireless does the same thing.) Clearly this is not good for security, and I like my security.

I'm running an OpenBSD 4.4 router/NAT/firewall in my current dorm. Works well, I like how simplistic pf is and having it on Real Unix :smug: is pretty nice. I'd like to continue this and extend it to my entire suite (4 people, thus 4 available jacks) next year.

"But wait, niteice!" you may say. "Surely you'll saturate the line you plug it into and it will be far too slow for 4 users at once!"

This is indeed a correct concern. I want to either send new internal connections to the least-saturated external line (i.e. a smart round-robin) or merge them into one massive pipe (it would work out to around 1.2mbit merged :woop:) My question is - how does OpenBSD work in this sort of scenario? I've read a couple of guides that suggest i can round-robin the connections or hash the destination interface based on the source of the connection, I'll guess on MAC address. Is it possible to bond multiple inputs to one massive interface that is then served up?

What do you goons recommend?

(and before anyone asks, I checked, this doesn't seem to be against university IT policy)

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I have yet to get multi nic load balancing to work and I have tried 3 or 4 times

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html#outgoing

uksheep
Jul 23, 2007

do andriods dream of electric sheep
From what i remember pfsense needs virtual IPs configured before it will let you 1:1 nat. Had some trouble getting our mail servers to be contactable from the outside world when i first put it in.

Trixter
Apr 15, 2003
There's BSD on my Windoes!

http://www.virtualbsd.info/

Ran into this the other day. Its FreeBSD 7.1 Release for VMWare. Uses Xfce It comes with a bunch of applications already installed (Firefox 3, Thunderbird, Pidgin, OpenOffice, Gimp, VLC to name a few) and it has a OSX style dock and theme.

I like it because i can muck around with BSD from inside (gasp) Vista or OSX using Fusion

It'll run in the VMWare Player (free I think) or the VMWare Workstation.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Trixter posted:

There's BSD on my Windoes!

http://www.virtualbsd.info/

Ran into this the other day. Its FreeBSD 7.1 Release for VMWare. Uses Xfce It comes with a bunch of applications already installed (Firefox 3, Thunderbird, Pidgin, OpenOffice, Gimp, VLC to name a few) and it has a OSX style dock and theme.

I like it because i can muck around with BSD from inside (gasp) Vista or OSX using Fusion

It'll run in the VMWare Player (free I think) or the VMWare Workstation.

While on this subject, has anyone been able to get a 7.2 desktop going in a VM? 7.1 worked fine, but 7.2 doesn't seem to like the VMware display drivers very much. I've been trolling around the FreeBSD and VMware forums/mailing lists and haven't found much to go on.

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
They were livin' creatures
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
I have a KVM switch (IOGEAR GCS932U) between my mouse and keyboard. Hitting the scroll lock twice causes KVM to switch between computers, but if I press it just once it should toggle scroll lock. My Windows box does as such, but not my FreeBSD box. Also, in X11 the numlock light is on but the numpad behaves like it is off, and when I toggle numlock off the numpad behaves like it is on. Is there any way to solve this?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Is there any way to see if there are power saving modes available for the computer? I'd like to be able to set the machine to sleep between certain times on certain days. I'm looking to make this server power efficient!

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Ethereal posted:

Is there any way to see if there are power saving modes available for the computer? I'd like to be able to set the machine to sleep between certain times on certain days. I'm looking to make this server power efficient!

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html covers how to check for what ACPI states your hardware supports, and how to test those states.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Interesting, so could I setup a scheduling script to suspend my computer for certain times and then resume?

Also, I'm running into "No space left on device" issues with transmission. The folder it downloads to has over 100GB free, and i'm trying to only write a few gigs.

#zpool list
NAME SIZE USED AVAIL CAP HEALTH ALTROOT
media 111G 163K 111G 0% ONLINE -

#df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad4s1a 496M 490M -34M 108% /
devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
/dev/ad4s1e 140G 3.8G 125G 3% /usr
/dev/ad4s1d 496M 12M 444M 3% /var

farnsworth# du -x / | sort -nr | less
502087 /
421366 /boot
210452 /boot/kernel
210258 /boot/kernel.old
61966 /media
61960 /media/Downloads
26118 /media/Downloads/FILEZ

My root directory is full (I don't know how), I thought I allocated enough space to it but apparently not. What the hell do I do?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Ethereal posted:

My root directory is full (I don't know how), I thought I allocated enough space to it but apparently not. What the hell do I do?

You thought a 500 *meg* root is enough? :psyduck:

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

You thought a 500 *meg* root is enough? :psyduck:

Yeah I know...and after compiling a custom kernel, it certainly isn't. But, I'm not sure if the root directory is the problem (though it is one I need to deal with still). I can't seem to copy my old kernel to the zfs partition, it says the disk is full.

Is the root directory encompassing my zfs directory, even though they should be two different entities?

Edit: And it appears that is the case...or transmission is using the root directory for temp space (though i know it isn't). Why are they interlinked this way, and how do I fix it?

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

And then the ArchAngel descended from heaven.

Ethereal posted:

Edit: And it appears that is the case...or transmission is using the root directory for temp space (though i know it isn't). Why are they interlinked this way, and how do I fix it?

Are you using tmpmfs for /tmp? Did you make a partition for it?
If neither of these, /tmp is part of the root partition, and I can see transmission using /tmp to complete torrents.

I use these in rc.conf to make a 2GB swap-backed /tmp:

tmpmfs="YES"
tmpsize="1024m"
tmpmfs_flags="-i1024 -S"

season to taste

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Absorbs Quickly posted:

Are you using tmpmfs for /tmp? Did you make a partition for it?
If neither of these, /tmp is part of the root partition, and I can see transmission using /tmp to complete torrents.

I use these in rc.conf to make a 2GB swap-backed /tmp:

tmpmfs="YES"
tmpsize="1024m"
tmpmfs_flags="-i1024 -S"

season to taste

I tried that, and it doesn't seem to help. My root partition is still full.
(on /tmp)

$ ls -la
total 14
drwxrwxrwt 7 root wheel 512 May 17 00:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 root wheel 512 May 16 09:22 ..
drwxrwxrwt 2 root wheel 512 May 17 00:58 .ICE-unix
drwxrwxrwt 2 root wheel 512 May 17 00:58 .X11-unix
drwxrwxrwt 2 root wheel 512 May 17 00:58 .XIM-unix
drwxrwxrwt 2 root wheel 512 May 17 00:58 .font-unix
drwxrwxr-x 2 root operator 512 May 17 00:58 .snap

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Bingo! Figured it out. My dumb rear end did not enable ZFS to start up at boot time. So the /media folder that was there was under the root directory.

Case closed.

Now, my next question is, how do I delete those files in the original /media? Do I have to unmount this /media and then delete the stuff, then remount?

Edit: Woohoo, looks like everything is fixed. Note to self, always make sure daemons are enabled at boot time.

Ethereal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 17, 2009

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
I have inherited a few web servers and also have the pleasure of building out brand spanking new ones. It looks like Apache was installed using ports, and I want to keep the same config. If I 'make config' in /usr/ports/www/apache22 will the preselected options be the ones that were used last and not the defaults?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

SmirkingJack posted:

I have inherited a few web servers and also have the pleasure of building out brand spanking new ones. It looks like Apache was installed using ports, and I want to keep the same config. If I 'make config' in /usr/ports/www/apache22 will the preselected options be the ones that were used last and not the defaults?

Yes. The options are saved in /var/db/ports/

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Let's discuss Compat_HPUX.

We have at work an old HPC3600 box, running some simulator that we keep around. It would be wonderful if we could get rid of this PA-RISC based box so that we can move away from HP-UX. Unfortunately, given that this software only runs on HP-UX, this poses a problem. This is where OpenBSD (or others that support it) come in.

However, my understanding of this compatibility layer is that it will only run HP-UX applications on an OpenBSD install on PA-RISC hardware. Is that right? IE: You can't use Compat_HPUX to run HP-UX software on the x86 build of OpenBSD. Is my understanding of this correct?

If that's the case, is it possible to emulate PA-RISC hardware using a virtual machine? This thread seems to suggest not really, but it does mention some other methods of achieving the same solution, however they're all for the IA64 architecture (which HP-UX supports, and thus may be an option to investigate).

Basically, am I looking at this issue in the wrong way? Is there some method of tackling this issue that would be far more intelligent than trying to get this compat_HPUX working on a BSD system?

edit: This seems to be heading in the direction I want, but with no visible success thus far, unfortunately. :(

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 21, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
It would appear that ZFS version 13 got committed to FreeBSD 7-STABLE. So yeah, have at it those of you who are using it.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism
Having an odd problem with DNS servers on FreeBSD 7.2 i386 systems (2 virtual machines within VMware ESX)

Two VMs, both running FreeBSD 7.2 i386. Standard installation, binaries + documentation. I've installed bind 9.6 from ports, have set up the zone files & named.conf. Set /etc/resolv.conf to use 127.0.0.1 for its name server (since named is running on the box locally) That much is working.

On the 1st DNS server, I can do DNS lookups without any issues.

I run "dig https://www.somethingawful.com" and I get an answer back with an IP address. That much looks good.

I run another dig, this time for a host in my local network (which has been defined in the zone file for the domain I use in my local network).

That also works, it gives me back the appropriate IP address for the hostname I've supplied.

On the FreeBSD VM running named :

code:
[root@cholera ~]# /etc/rc.d/named status
named is running as pid 883.
So named is running.

code:
[root@cholera ~]# grep named /var/log/messages
May 27 03:20:22 cholera named[883]: starting BIND 9.4.3-P2 -t /var/named -u bind
May 27 03:20:22 cholera named[883]: command channel listening on 127.0.0.1#953
May 27 03:20:22 cholera named[883]: command channel listening on ::1#953
May 27 03:20:22 cholera named[883]: the working directory is not writable
May 27 03:20:23 cholera named[883]: running
And named is using port 953.

code:
[root@cholera ~]# lsof -i :953
COMMAND PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
named   883 bind   21u  IPv4 0xc3414740      0t0  TCP localhost:rndc (LISTEN)
named   883 bind   22u  IPv6 0xc3414570      0t0  TCP localhost:rndc (LISTEN)
Yep. Port 953 is open, belonging to named. That all checks out.

Now, if I go on a third system, and set /etc/resolv.conf to use "nameserver 192.168.1.25" (IP address of cholera, the FreeBSD VM running BIND) - I get nothing.

code:
root@malaria:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain awesomeo.org
search awesomeo.org
nameserver 192.168.1.25
The IP address is correct. I can ping and SSH from malaria to cholera, so the two boxes are able to talk to each other. But if I try and dig anything, even hosts within the domain I've set up zone files for, I get nothing.

code:
root@malaria:~# dig cholera
^[
; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P2 <<>> cholera
;; global options:  printcmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
Don't know why that happens, since I can ping the IP address that's being specified in /etc/resolv.conf.

From malaria, doing an nmap of cholera:
code:
root@malaria:~# nmap 192.168.1.25

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( [url]http://nmap.org[/url] ) at 2009-05-26 16:12 EDT
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.25:
Not shown: 999 closed ports
PORT   STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open  ssh
MAC Address: 00:50:56:8B:5F:BA (VMWare)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 20.39 seconds
So the VM which runs FreeBSD + BIND can use its own service without issues. Any other host on the same network can ping/ssh to this VM, but for some reason, cannot use it for DNS lookups.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Sergeant Hobo posted:

It would appear that ZFS version 13 got committed to FreeBSD 7-STABLE. So yeah, have at it those of you who are using it.

How do you update it? freebsd-update fetch doesn't find it.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Ethereal posted:

How do you update it? freebsd-update fetch doesn't find it.

Does freebsd-update only track release branches? I've actually never used it.
I used csup (built into the base system, unlike cvsup) and this supfile:

quote:

*default host=cvsup8.freebsd.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

Then built and installed a new world and kernel, copied /usr/src and /usr/obj to a usb drive, rebooted, unset vfs.root.mountfrom in the loader (my system is usually ZFS root. I doubt yours is.), installed the new world over my UFS boot partition, and ran the zpool/zfs upgrade commands.

Consider waiting for 7.3 if you don't want to deal with this :)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
What the hell is up with xwindows these days? They removed any sort of config tool, so if -configure doesn't work you're hosed. Whatever version of X that's in 7.1 and 7.2 makes fbsd a command line only OS for me.

I have a feeling it's this bullshit:
(EE) NV(0): Output VGA2 enabled but has no modes

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

997...998...999......GAMETIME

jnr posted:

Does freebsd-update only track release branches?

Yeah - all official binaries are only done for -RELEASE and, if needed, any subsequent SAs.

juggalol posted:

[root@cholera ~]# lsof -i :953
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
named 883 bind 21u IPv4 0xc3414740 0t0 TCP localhost:rndc (LISTEN)
named 883 bind 22u IPv6 0xc3414570 0t0 TCP localhost:rndc (LISTEN)
[/code]

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Cholera is only listening on 127.0.0.1, not 192.168.1.25

LooseChanj posted:

What the hell is up with xwindows these days? They removed any sort of config tool, so if -configure doesn't work you're hosed. Whatever version of X that's in 7.1 and 7.2 makes fbsd a command line only OS for me.

I have a feeling it's this bullshit:
(EE) NV(0): Output VGA2 enabled but has no modes

Are you using xorg.conf or letting dbus/hald figure it out?

CrzyDTpBoy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 26, 2009

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Are you using xorg.conf or letting dbus/hald figure it out?

The way I've always done it in the past was use that graphical thing they dropped in the version before last, then tweaking xorg.conf by hand. I have no clue about any of this dbus/hald stuff.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Did 7.2-RELEASE have an update to ZFS in it? I don't recall one from the changelog and I am running 7.1-RELEASE so I believe I'm on the latest revision of it, but if I'm mistaken, I'll look at updating it.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Nam Taf posted:

Did 7.2-RELEASE have an update to ZFS in it? I don't recall one from the changelog and I am running 7.1-RELEASE so I believe I'm on the latest revision of it, but if I'm mistaken, I'll look at updating it.

7.2's ZFS v6 implementation was improved on amd64.

FreeBSD wiki posted:

FreeBSD 7.2+ has improved kernel memory allocation strategy and no tuning may be necessary on systems with more than 2 GB of RAM.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Cholera is only listening on 127.0.0.1, not 192.168.1.25

Yeeeep, that did it all right. Thanks!

Sorry for the wall of text for what amounted to be a quick fix.

Edit: Jesus christ, it was right there in the lsof output. I just didn't see it, I'm a boob.

juggalol fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 27, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

jnr posted:

7.2's ZFS v6 implementation was improved on amd64.

Hrm. My FreeBSD box is on 2GB and it has been tuned (I'm pulling 220MB/sec reads on a scrub on 4 WD green power 1TB drives in Z1), so I'm not sure if that will benefit me. I'll consider the option, though - how difficult is it to upgrade? Is it a case of exporting the raid, reinstalling the OS, then reimporting it, or can I do it through some sort of package upgrade method akin to Ubuntu or the like?

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

The way I've always done it in the past was use that graphical thing they dropped in the version before last, then tweaking xorg.conf by hand. I have no clue about any of this dbus/hald stuff.

Do you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf and is this just a single monitor?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Do you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf and is this just a single monitor?

No, I've just been doing X- config since nothing has even worked yet. Googling that VGA2 line leads me to believe it's a bug actually.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

OK, you ran X -configure and created an xorg.conf. When you start xorg with startx -- -config xorg.conf what do you get?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

complex posted:

OK, you ran X -configure and created an xorg.conf. When you start xorg with startx -- -config xorg.conf what do you get?

Dumped straight back to a shell prompt.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

LooseChanj posted:

Dumped straight back to a shell prompt.

If the only (EE) is the one you listed earlier, it's likely your problem. It seems to indicate you're using the "nv" driver as well, you could try x11/nvidia-drver. You should also try to run x without an xorg.conf, it's quite good at auto detecting stuff.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

falz posted:

You should also try to run x without an xorg.conf, it's quite good at auto detecting stuff.

No it's not. At least, not in my case. I even installed the driver you can get from nvidia. Honestly, I'm so sick of banging my head against this I'm not going to worry about it. If it gets fixed, fine, I can use fbsd again. If not, so long.

Also, that driver is x86 only and I've already tried it. I even installed x86 just to give it a shot and it bombed too.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

No it's not. At least, not in my case. I even installed the driver you can get from nvidia. Honestly, I'm so sick of banging my head against this I'm not going to worry about it. If it gets fixed, fine, I can use fbsd again. If not, so long.

Also, that driver is x86 only and I've already tried it. I even installed x86 just to give it a shot and it bombed too.

Your realize this isn't a FreeBSD problem, right? X.org is moving to an automagic config and the ports tree finally caught up.

To get it working:
1. Make sure the following lines are in your rc.conf:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
2. Move /etc/X11/xorg.conf to your homedir
3. Reboot
4. startx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Your realize this isn't a FreeBSD problem, right? X.org is moving to an automagic config and the ports tree finally caught up.

Yes, I do. And they're retarded as gently caress for it, because like I've said a dozen times what happens when the automagic doesn't work? I'm expected to guess what settings to put in xorg.conf?

And that other stuff didn't work, I end up with the exact same error about VGA2. Is there an X thread somewhere?

• Locked thread