Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Josh Wow posted:

New video of the Specials with almost all of their original members. It's killer so make sure you watch this first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5KHqhNtwis

Sick. They're all looking relatively good too. It's too bad Jerry Dammers isn't with them, though.

Also a nice summary of this thread is everyone ignoring that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Where'd You Go?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Mike_V posted:

Sick. They're all looking relatively good too. It's too bad Jerry Dammers isn't with them, though.

Don't know about ignoring it. I love watching ska videos on youtube, and that was the best of the bunch posted, it's great to see them still putting on a fantastic show.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Illegal Left live at Riot Fest

Also what's with all these hockey fans liking ska too?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

FateoMcSkippy posted:

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Illegal Left live at Riot Fest

Also what's with all these hockey fans liking ska too?

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - You Gotta go (live on the Late Late Show)

Also I don't know what's up with all the hockey/ska fans but I guess it's just because we're cooler than everyone else.

Mike_V posted:

Definitely didn't ignore it, it was one of the better videos posted. I wish the Specials would come to the states :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Something's wrong with the liner notes on my Somewhere in the Between vinyl

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Blow it up so I can get a better look

Or tell us what it is

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I had a chuckle when someone linked me this music video when I dropped a "ska is dead":

MC Lars - This Gigantic Robot Kills

And it actually holds up musically too :)

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Dickeye posted:

Blow it up so I can get a better look

Or tell us what it is

The lyrics for Would You Be Impressed are repeated on One Foot on the Gas.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
oh dang it is

huh

how about that

RockShowLevel27
May 31, 2006
Not sure if this belongs here, but Bouncing Souls and The Loved Ones put on a fantastic show tonight in New Haven, CT.

Well worth the hour and a half drive down from Providence.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No because see while they're both kick-rear end bands they're not ska bands

Try the punk thread, should be on page 1 or 2 of NMD

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008
I'm sure a lot of people have seen this, but this short planet smashers video always puts a smile on my face and reminds me of why I got into ska in my early teens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biP8QZzBp-g

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

RockShowLevel27 posted:

Not sure if this belongs here, but Bouncing Souls and The Loved Ones put on a fantastic show tonight in New Haven, CT.

Well worth the hour and a half drive down from Providence.

Agreeing with this. Saw them last night in Boston, going to see them again tomorrow night at the same venue.

alvinthegreat
Feb 23, 2008
Apparently I missed seeing the (English) Beat here in town last night. Arrrrrgh, I am super pissed at myself for not taking the initiative to find out about the show sooner. Has anyone here seen the Beat live recently? If so, should I hate myself for missing out?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I saw them on St. Patrick's day last year and was not too impressed

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey any goons in/near Syracuse planning on going to see Mustard Plug in Buffalo this month?

I'll split the gas/thruway with you

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Ha ha, the 90's. I love that loving song, especially on rock band.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Sharon is Karen posted:

I'm sure a lot of people have seen this, but this short planet smashers video always puts a smile on my face and reminds me of why I got into ska in my early teens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biP8QZzBp-g

I was at Ska Weekend that year...sadly missed that set. I was distracted by these guys http://www.myspace.com/fatterthanalbert. That really was an awesome show, my favorite band was the opening act for the whole thing and are the reason I am in to ska.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

The JB Conspiracy - Pipe Down

Also looks like they have a new demo up on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thejbconspiracy

I wish they would tour the US

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If this isn't cool I'll remove it, but seeing as it was posted by a moderator on the official Bosstones boards they must be ok with it right?
http://www.bosstonesmusic.com/newbboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2693

A ton of b-sides, rarities, bootlegs, etc.

Basically stuff you can't buy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
out of print/unavailable stuff is generally OK, check with a mod

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Well the stuff I was mostly interested in there was the bootlegs of shows. They are in general pretty decent quality, and live Bosstones > CD Bosstones.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh man one of the ones from Buffalo has She Just Happened

Seriously my favorite Bosstones song ever

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I'm considering seeing a show with the following bands: "mustard plug, eastern standard time, void union, we are the union, royal city riot and hub city stompers"

Of them I only know Mustard Plug and Hub City Stompers. What can you guys tell me about the others?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
EST take their name from a trad song so they are probably good.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Thornes posted:

I'm considering seeing a show with the following bands: "mustard plug, eastern standard time, void union, we are the union, royal city riot and hub city stompers"

Of them I only know Mustard Plug and Hub City Stompers. What can you guys tell me about the others?

EST is pretty traditional sounding, and Royal City Riot are Slackerish. We Are The Union are fairly hardcore. A pretty diverse crowd it looks like. All are great to dance to, though, in their own way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thornes posted:

We Are The Union is loving rad

Void Union played here a few months back but I can't remember if I went or not

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Void Union is pretty good. Chick singer, slower songs. I think the singer is dating one of the horn players from Big D, too (at least I see them together all the time).

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Thanks for the info. Apparently there are a few more bands that I missed, too.

King Django, Brunt of It, The Heavy Beat, Steady Sound System

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Thornes posted:

We are the Union was labelled a ASOB rip-off band way back, I always liked their stuff though. Punknews calls them Set Your Goals with horns.

Their album 'Who We Are' is free to download on, uh, that same site that hosts Erin's Runaway Imagination and a bunch of other ska albums.

http://www.myspace.com/wearetheunion

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's on https://communityrecords.org

That and a bunch of other stuff

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

It's on https://communityrecords.org

That and a bunch of other stuff

It's not there anymore :(

There's a lot of good stuff but I really want the WATU album :(

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
It's on their purevolume. In other news WATU signed with Paper or Plastick records (drummer from Less Than Jakes label) and they're doing a bunch of touring so check em out if you get a chance. Even if one of their tours is interfering with me getting dates booked for one of ours. Jerks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

It's on their purevolume. In other news WATU signed with Paper or Plastick records (drummer from Less Than Jakes label) and they're doing a bunch of touring so check em out if you get a chance. Even if one of their tours is interfering with me getting dates booked for one of ours. Jerks.

What's your band?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Taj Motel Trio

Also I forgot to respond to this earlier but Mustard Plug, We Are the Union, Eastern Standard Time and Royal City Riot are all killer live. Hub City Stompers are killer live as well, but they're a very acquired taste. I've never seen void union live.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

Taj Motel Trio

Also I forgot to respond to this earlier but Mustard Plug, We Are the Union, Eastern Standard Time and Royal City Riot are all killer live. Hub City Stompers are killer live as well, but they're a very acquired taste. I've never seen void union live.
Excellent, I guess I'll definitely have to go to the show then!

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

The JB Conspiracy - Pipe Down

Also looks like they have a new demo up on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thejbconspiracy

I wish they would tour the US
Thanks for bringing this band to my attention, I'm really liking em.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

Taj Motel Trio

Oh hey Josh I just remembered

You guys did a show with 4point0 at Funk 'n Waffles this spring, didn't you?

What'd you think

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Thornes posted:

EST are freaking amazing if you are into the jazz/tradional side of ska. I saw them in Chicago for Jump Up reccords birthday bash (awesome honeymoon trip) and was blown away. We are the Union I like live, HATE their CDs.

EDIT:
Also Josh you are playing a show in Indianapolis with my buddies band, but I can't go. My new vacation days don't kick in till June 1st and I am out (stupid getting married :argh: ).

Backno fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Oh hey Josh I just remembered

You guys did a show with 4point0 at Funk 'n Waffles this spring, didn't you?

What'd you think

Nah we didn't get to play with 4.0. Played with the furies, abominable killer snowmen, and some acoustic dude who used to be in the narwhals (or however you spell that, that whale things from the first futurama movie).

The dudes in AKS that I talked to were wicked cool but I didn't dig the band all that much. The Furies pissed me off because they played wailing paddle and said it was a big d cover, and did it exactly the same as big d. Big pet peeve of mine, since the rudiments are kickass (and I even like the big d cover). I swear if anybody ever covers little bitch exactly like Big D and then says it's a Big D cover I will dropkick them in the chest while they're still onstage.

We're coming back to syracuse in July, hoping to get more kickass bands on the bill this time.

Edit: INDIANAPOLIS YEA! This is my first time going to the midwest although the band has been once or twice before I was in the band. Hopefully it rocks. Too bad you can't come out, we'll hopefully be doing a more extensive midwest tour before too long.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 7, 2009