Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What difference does it actually make? I only have a few thousand miles riding in, so I've never experienced an old/crappy chain and I'm curious as to how it affects the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

powderific posted:

What difference does it actually make? I only have a few thousand miles riding in, so I've never experienced an old/crappy chain and I'm curious as to how it affects the bike.

I know when my chain was on it's way out, driving at low speeds (under 5mph) was horrible because you couldn't ease onto the throttle well at all, it would cause the bike to lurch pretty hard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

powderific posted:

If your bike starts to surge on the throttle and doesn't accelerate smoothly, then your chain is badly tightspotting.

Content:

http://vimeo.com/4378660?pg=transcoded_embed&sec=4378660

Chris Siglin and Cory Call going at it in Formula Pacific. Notable moments: Almost highsiding off the bike in the second corner, wheelie + rear wheel slide over the bump at 1:15, and backing it in everywhere, all the time.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Got some pictures from my supermoto class from the other week which means its showoff time:

Click here for the full 1496x900 image.

Click here for the full 1641x1137 image.

Click here for the full 1550x1010 image.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Hey, I have that motogp jacket.. I like it a lot, though I uhh... fill mine out a little more. :gbsmith:

Cool pics, by the way, did they supply the bikes? How much was the class?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Fantastipotamus posted:

Cool pics, by the way, did they supply the bikes? How much was the class?

The class was $315 for the day, the bike rental was included. Definitely worth the cost, lots of fun and I learned a lot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

The class was $315 for the day, the bike rental was included. Definitely worth the cost, lots of fun and I learned a lot.

Where was it? I'd love to give that a shot one weekend. Same price as a day at infineon and probably a lot of fun :) Post up a little review in the chat thread or make a thread for it, I'd like to hear more about it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Babies first trackday at Portland International Raceway:

Absolutely incredible experience. I plan on at least 2 more this summer. I had dreams last night of the dive into turn 1, so awesome. PIR is a great track, very fast. The curved back straight is intense, wide open and banked over for a long rear end time. It was incredible! I touched knee on turn 4 about 5 times and each time except for the last time it scared the crap out of me and I instantly went upright. The last time I was looking for it and it felt perfect. Can't wait to go back.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 3, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Welcome to the addiction. Very nice body positioning for a first time track rider too. I recommend DOT race tires as soon as you can afford them, as well...having a little extra on the tires is always nice :)

I'm also intensely jealous of your awesome gsx-r...I love that body style.

Haven't pulled the Duc patch yet either, I see. :xd:

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Was rummaging thru some old folders on my pc and found this sound clip:
http://miklos.dk/cbr600f4/sound.html
It's from the summer of 2004, driving home from work on my cbr 600 f4 my cellphone somehow started recording in my pocket. So if you wondered what driving a 100% stock cbr 600 in Copenhagen sounds like, check it out :) The sound certainly makes me nostalgic, the f4 was a great piece of machinery, the engine was rock solid (except that drat cct!) and it was toured, daily driven and tracked.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

That dude in the back looks like he's out to kill the other racers.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

That dude in the back looks like he's out to kill the other racers.

That guy was crazy fast. He was on a newer bone stock GSXR 1000 and was a really good rider, kind of surprised he wasn't in the fast group when I think about it. He passed me many times that day, he was a monster on the brakes into turn 1.

Speaking of brakes, I was getting some vibration under hard braking during the track day, it would only happen on really hard braking on both straights. It was a vibration I could feel in both hands, I had the pads replaced since I brought spares with me and had the suspension set up for my weight, didn't change the vibration at all. It wasn't so bad I had to stop riding but it was enough to affect my confidence braking into turn 1. Steering head bearings or warped disks? I have never felt this vibration ever riding on the street.

Every once in awhile pulling back on the bars while pulling the bike out of my parking spot in my building the steering head will make a dull 'pop', it's rare but it does it, so that's where I am going to start. Hopefully it isn't an expensive repair.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That guy was crazy fast. He was on a newer bone stock GSXR 1000 and was a really good rider, kind of surprised he wasn't in the fast group when I think about it. He passed me many times that day, he was a monster on the brakes into turn 1.

Speaking of brakes, I was getting some vibration under hard braking during the track day, it would only happen on really hard braking on both straights. It was a vibration I could feel in both hands, I had the pads replaced since I brought spares with me and had the suspension set up for my weight, didn't change the vibration at all. It wasn't so bad I had to stop riding but it was enough to affect my confidence braking into turn 1. Steering head bearings or warped disks? I have never felt this vibration ever riding on the street.

Every once in awhile pulling back on the bars while pulling the bike out of my parking spot in my building the steering head will make a dull 'pop', it's rare but it does it, so that's where I am going to start. Hopefully it isn't an expensive repair.

It does sound like your head bearings are loose at the very least, if not toast. You could have a mildly bent rotor as well, but usually that'll be noticible at lower levels of braking as well as because you get an inconsistant braking even when doing it lightly.

Unfortunantly, you're probably going to be best off just replacing the bearings, as the sort of abuse that they go through in a situation like that is enough to get them out of round. On the bright side, they shouldn't be that expensive and it's something that you can easily do on your own...remove the triple, remove the locking nuts, and drop in the new bearings. Tightening them down can be a bit of a pain in the rear end, but if you have some way of getting the forks off the ground, you just want to tighten them to the point that when the forks are pointing straight ahead and you let them go, they fall smoothly to the stop and not bounce. You have to tighten them with the front wheel supported, and then lift and check. It's not exact, but it's close enough.

You always get sandbaggers at trackdays who get a kick out of passing people. As long as they're courteous on their passing, it's usually not a big deal, just part of trackday riding.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyxz6kqql98

Is this real? How the hell did he not go down?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

^^^That's insane

Phil Keoghan wipes out on tracks that are about a mile from my house, they are absolutely the worst train tracks I've ever been on.
Hey, it's a cycle, a bi-cycle.

http://www.philridesacrossamerica.com/daily_blog.html
Day 32 Lima to Columbus, Oh

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_08p-414uGY World superbike race where oil spill takes out tons of riders and everyone gets super pissed that they didn't wave the blue flag.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVP506sYri4&feature=related

Man with top hat burns out motorcycle in the back of moving truck.

Also bonus hedgehog.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_08p-414uGY World superbike race where oil spill takes out tons of riders and everyone gets super pissed that they didn't wave the blue flag.

I absolutely love Colin Edwards. The part where he puts up two middle fingers makes me laugh out loud every time.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Babies first trackday at Portland International Raceway:

Absolutely incredible experience. I plan on at least 2 more this summer. I had dreams last night of the dive into turn 1, so awesome. PIR is a great track, very fast. The curved back straight is intense, wide open and banked over for a long rear end time. It was incredible! I touched knee on turn 4 about 5 times and each time except for the last time it scared the crap out of me and I instantly went upright. The last time I was looking for it and it felt perfect. Can't wait to go back.

About drat time you got out there. I really want to get out this year as it's been almost 2 years since I've done a trackday. Did you go out with Cascade tracktime? Motocorsa and PSSR also put on good trackdays as well.

I would like to check out ORP as well.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

orinth posted:

About drat time you got out there. I really want to get out this year as it's been almost 2 years since I've done a trackday. Did you go out with Cascade tracktime? Motocorsa and PSSR also put on good trackdays as well.

I would like to check out ORP as well.

It was cascade tracktime. I had heard they were not newb friendly and they were right. I got 1 sighting lap instead of 2 for some reason and then it was onto the track. I nearly went off on my first lap on turn 7 because I didn't know I could go through it at 70+ mph and ended up parking in the corner hard from emergency braking for no reason.

It took me until about mid-day before I really started to get the hang of turn 1 and turn 7, and by the end of the day I was touching knee on turn 4 every other lap. Also after lunch since the turnout was small for the day they made it open track from 1-4pm, so I was out there with the fast guys which was a little scary at times.

My bummer is I only have Thursday and Friday to do trackdays so I am stuck with CT and 2fast or whatever they are called, unless someone does trackdays on Thursdays, which I don't know about yet. It would be fun to do one together, that and I have no support vehicle and don't know anyone so it would be nice to have company.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did about 480 miles this weekend. Killed my chain, but that was going anyways.

Took this just outside of Whitewater, WI.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

blugu64 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyxz6kqql98

Is this real? How the hell did he not go down?

Haha nice try stupid bike.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Phat_Albert posted:

Bluff road, nice.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Took a ride out to the ever so famous Ortega Highway (Highway 74). It was my first time on it with a bike. Hell, first time on twisties with my bike. Took it nice and slow and enjoyed the ride.

Sorry for lovely photos. Didn't have a camera.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

Bluff road, nice.

Awesome, I figured if anyone would recognize it it would be you.

Seriously, is that not a great road? And then Nature road, that Bluff dumps into. Nature road is like a rollercoaster encased in asphalt.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Do you have any pictures of the bandit where I can get a sense of scale? It looks angry and massive in that picture. Like a sport bike for giants.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Phat_Albert posted:

Awesome, I figured if anyone would recognize it it would be you.

Seriously, is that not a great road? And then Nature road, that Bluff dumps into. Nature road is like a rollercoaster encased in asphalt.

Both are terrifying to really go fast on... the best part of bluff road is like 1.5 lanes, trees inches off the road, and you can't see poo poo for what's coming up next (oh, and driveways). It's still fun to go reasonably fast through though :)

By the way, if you're ever near Monches, take a quick ride up County Rd Q towards 83. Wouldn't do anything stupid there, but it's a nice little ride.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 6, 2009

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Phat_Albert posted:

Hey this past weekend was the Slimy Crud Run between Pine Bluff WI. and Leland WI. Did you happen to make it out there?

A group of riders I met from the TheGResources and I met up and took some nice back roads out there and through Sauk City...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skreemer posted:

Hey this past weekend was the Slimy Crud Run between Pine Bluff WI. and Leland WI. Did you happen to make it out there?

A group of riders I met from the TheGResources and I met up and took some nice back roads out there and through Sauk City...

I did, I took the Bandit, and was with a buddy on his FZ6. We hit Pine Bluff then Leland. Lots of Harleys acting stupid this year, which was disappointing, but other than that it was great.

I generally hit the spring and fall one every year.

8ender posted:

Do you have any pictures of the bandit where I can get a sense of scale? It looks angry and massive in that picture. Like a sport bike for giants.

I dont really have any of it next to something that you can gauge scale by, I can take one next to my Focus hatch tonight though.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 6, 2009

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*
Video of me on the 'Ring last weekend.

http://www.vimeo.com/4498813

I was constantly waiting for the car to keep up (he's only done 2 laps).

At 11:21 you can catch a glimpse of the old geezer on the 250 two stroke I was talking about in an earlier post.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

these threads are going to be way better now that you can post youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVjGW7cD5EM

free bowl of soup fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 6, 2009

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

free bowl of soup posted:

these threads are going to be way better now that you can post youtube videos

gently caress that looks painful. I'm glad the video didn't show more of her landing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Here's a series of clips talking about different manufacturers and their bikes. It's like 50 videos so I'm not linking them individually. Warning you will kill a few hours.
Twist of the Throttle

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
Here's something I just ran across. Another argument for wearing a full face helmet. Even though this rider wasn't wearing a helmet at all the amount of damage done to his face alone is ridiculous.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2450912496/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AkrisD posted:

Here's something I just ran across. Another argument for wearing a full face helmet. Even though this rider wasn't wearing a helmet at all the amount of damage done to his face alone is ridiculous.

That is astounding, both for the technology in scanning like that, and the pure amount of damage done. Jesus.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

AkrisD posted:

Holy poo poo hosed for life

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh God the jawbone :barf:

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*
Are those pieces of skull stuck in his brain? Nice.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Phat_Albert posted:

Oh God the jawbone :barf:

"He's probably over-reactOH GOD THE JAWBONE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think I would be able to handle looking at the actual pictures, his friggen jawbone is broken in 2 spots :O