Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NEon Lights
Sep 5, 2006
Agent Jordan

blugu64 posted:

Probably not

Its the first motorcycle I've ever even sat on. I learned everything about motorcycles on this on. Never had a dirt bike or anything. I stand firm its a good beginner bike. What else would you suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NEon Lights posted:

Its the first motorcycle I've ever even sat on. I learned everything about motorcycles on this on. Never had a dirt bike or anything. I stand firm its a good beginner bike. What else would you suggest.

Something with less power and weight. Of course you think it's a good beginner bike, that bike is both the best and worst you've ever had.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Z3n posted:

Something with less power and weight. Of course you think it's a good beginner bike, that bike is both the best and worst you've ever had.

We should have a sticky that sums up the massive amount of recommendations made for beginner's bikes, since the advice is always pretty much the same.
I would guess the number 1 reason for choosing a 600 ss as a first bike is vanity. It was certainly my prime motivation back in the day, when I did just that. I would be richer (honda plastics = $) and more experienced now, had I chosen something smaller and less expensive and flogged the hell out of that first.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

Believe it or not when I was looking for my bike I had a few different people tell me a CBR600 was a good starter bike. They were saying the bike was very smooth and easy to ride, I was saying I don't need a hundred some odd horsepower, etc.

For some reason the CBR seems like a beginer bike cuckoo. It occasionally shows up in the nest for beginer bikes, but your damned if you know how it got in there.

Oh God... what small displacement begineer bike died for it to make room?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The CBR250. :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

The CBR250. :smith:

ZX2R :(

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

'80 CM200T Twinstar. Current ride/training wheels. Purchased new by my mother-in-law, fell into disrepair/neglect, sat for over a decade. I resurrected it last summer. It was still on the original tires!

'82 CB650SC Nighthawk. Should be on the road in the next couple weeks, after I unrack the carbs and replace the o-rings on the fuel feed tubes. :smithicide:

'80 CB750F DOHC. Recently purchased for $200. Long-term project; not a showroom restoration, but it'll get new paint, decals, engine gaskets/seals, and other wear parts.

E: Goddammit, I keep forgetting to turn off the datestamp on my camera.
E2: Yes, Redneck Yard of the Week.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 3, 2009

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
My first bike and I, kawasawki versys I got from a guy used with 61 miles.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

Gr3y posted:

Believe it or not when I was looking for my bike I had a few different people tell me a CBR600 was a good starter bike. They were saying the bike was very smooth and easy to ride, I was saying I don't need a hundred some odd horsepower, etc.

I'm going to get a lot of heat, but I learned to ride on the street on a '08 ZX6R which I had on loan for about a month before I bought my own. The power was there, but I mean, I have dirt bike experience which far from translates to street driving. I'm sure if you're the type of kid that tried to go as fast as possible in his "new" 1992 Grand Am the first day you bought it, stay away.

My situation was unique as I had the bike on loan, but as for actually buying one, I wouldn't. There's insurance, what happens if you drop it, learning curve is higher (IMHO), and the basic abilities you have as a rider will just be a huge waste of the bike. While I learned on one, I actually bought a '96 Suzuki GS500 with 5,300 miles on the odo for $2200 on Craigslist, and I really couldn't be happier. I actually hate the sport bike seating style and by this fall I feel like I'll be sitting on a SV650 or Versys or something similar.

halonx
May 4, 2005

I just picked this up on Tuesday. I upgraded from a 2000 Victory Sport Cruiser, and now I know what I've been missing.

Its a 2008 Harley XL1200N Nightster ( Sportster ). It had about 450 miles on it when I got it ( up to ~500 now ). It came with a couple non-stock pieces; the exhaust, forward controls, and new handle bars.

I'm really happy with it so far.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mrchina posted:

I'm going to get a lot of heat, but I learned to ride on the street on a '08 ZX6R which I had on loan for about a month before I bought my own. The power was there, but I mean, I have dirt bike experience which far from translates to street driving. I'm sure if you're the type of kid that tried to go as fast as possible in his "new" 1992 Grand Am the first day you bought it, stay away.

Dirt experience also really helps you avoid a lot of the stupid mistakes that'll dump a new rider on their rear end, stuff like grabbing the poo poo out of the front brake, dealing with wheelies, accidentally grabbing a fistful of throttle, etc.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
I can already feel the chest hair growing, and I have a compulsion to start using hair gel.

SO ANGRY

2009 Aprilia Sportcity 250. It's stupidly fun around town, and like riding a small couch. Much bigger than it looks too, that's a CR-V on the left, and an '03 Civic on the right for comparison.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

halonx posted:

Very nice. Are those pipes open?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

halonx posted:

Shiny

Looks nice, although the straight pipes don't really seem to fit the lines of the bike. I mean, if you're going to run straight pipes, why have them pointing arbitrarily at the contact patch of the rear tyre?

Nice looking bike, Christobevii3, how are you finding it thus far? Also, wtf 62 miles? Did the guy ride it home from the dealership without telling his wife, and then ride it right back when she threatened divorce?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Simkin posted:

Christobevii3, how are you finding it thus far? Also, wtf 62 miles? Did the guy ride it home from the dealership without telling his wife, and then ride it right back when she threatened divorce?

Really easy, i'd say it is basically the "minimum" you'd want in power if you've ever ridden atv's ( my experience ).

He said he had a 1L yamaha sport bike before and his job requires him to travel a ton now. Also, he was from plano, which isn't a really friendly place for motorcycles, so the combo of traveling and that is why I guess he didn't ride it in the last year.

I put 200 miles on it since 5pm saturday, so yeah, he never rode it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Any plans to tour around on it? (yeah, 200mi in a weekend isn't a bad start :v: )

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Christobevii3 posted:

Also, he was from plano, which isn't a really friendly place for motorcycles,

I'll drink to that, in a couple months when you're comfortable head up north and ride FM455 from Celina, and work your way west to Muenster. Best ride in the area I've found.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 4, 2009

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yup, plan to take in on trips probably in the next year. I'm from wichita falls, so not really sure where fm 455 is?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Christobevii3 posted:

Yup, plan to take in on trips probably in the next year. I'm from wichita falls, so not really sure where fm 455 is?

In that case forget FM455 and ride almost everything north of 82 from Nocona to Muenster. Not too many twisty roads in North Texas to be honest.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Bucephalus posted:

Very nice. Are those pipes open?

Nah, theres a baffle in there.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Looks nice, although the straight pipes don't really seem to fit the lines of the bike. I mean, if you're going to run straight pipes, why have them pointing arbitrarily at the contact patch of the rear tyre?

I kind of liked them like that. Much better than the "shorty" pipes they sell, which are pretty fugly.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

09 Honda ruckus

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Mr. Clark2 posted:

09 Honda ruckus

I've always liked the Ruckus. They're very utilitarian no-nonsense looking scooters.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Boat posted:

I've always liked the Ruckus. They're very utilitarian no-nonsense looking scooters.

I've always liked that it comes with tires that could actually sort of do some offroading

I like the idea of mopeds offroad, it's like a bicycle weight, but you don't have to pedal

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Sorry about the lovely cell-phone pic!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

It's a '78 kz650sr. Pretty much stock, except for the Kerker pipe and a few other bits. I bought it as my first bike about ten years ago and I still love it!

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

President Beep posted:

Sorry about the lovely cell-phone pic!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

It's a '78 kz650sr. Pretty much stock, except for the Kerker pipe and a few other bits. I bought it as my first bike about ten years ago and I still love it!

Nice. I really like the looks of those 70's Kawasakis and Hondas.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Nice. I really like the looks of those 70's Kawasakis and Hondas.

Thanks!

It's heavy, it sits almost ridiculously high and compared to most modern machines it's a pooch, but it'll always have a special place in my heart.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

President Beep posted:

Thanks!

It's heavy, it sits almost ridiculously high and compared to most modern machines it's a pooch, but it'll always have a special place in my heart.

I don't find my KZ sits particularly high, maybe those rear shocks are a little large?

Also, here is my KZ. Its currently looks like poo poo, but mechanically its a tank. I also finally found a matching tank instead of the SR tank.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

8ender posted:

I don't find my KZ sits particularly high, maybe those rear shocks are a little large?

Also, here is my KZ. Its currently looks like poo poo, but mechanically its a tank. I also finally found a matching tank instead of the SR tank.

Fair enough. My rear spring pre-load is set as high as it'll go and i'm also comparing it to some other very different bikes that I've ridden, i.e. old Brit bikes and various cruisers. Have you compared your ride height to any other UJMs?

Also, I read your thread about restoring that particular kz and I found it most entertaining. I sure don't think it looks like poo poo!!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

President Beep posted:

Also, I read your thread about restoring that particular kz and I found it most entertaining. I sure don't think it looks like poo poo!!

You should see it now. The tank is still red but various other bits are freshly painted green and some primered. My friends are calling it the Christmas bike :(

Also I found the ride height pretty sane. I recently put new rear shocks on and I measured the old ones in at 13" eye to eye. Its actually lower than my 66' YDS3. That bike has height rivaling some dual sports.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

blugu64 posted:

In that case forget FM455 and ride almost everything north of 82 from Nocona to Muenster. Not too many twisty roads in North Texas to be honest.

I'm scared you know my area? Where do you live? Maybe we could meet up and be antisocial by riding and not talking?

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you
My first bike and i love it. Suzuki GS450

Lunchb0x fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 5, 2009

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Here are updated pics of my zephyr after I finally got to wash and wax it from the new paint job last fall

And a bonus pic of my GF's 1982 Kawasaki CSR 305 mid sissybar and crashbar install. One of the brackets was cracked by the guy who I bought it from off ebay and I had to run and get it welded so it was dark before I finished.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Christobevii3 posted:

I'm scared you know my area? Where do you live? Maybe we could meet up and be antisocial by riding and not talking?

Plano. That area is a nice place for a saturday ride, that and the Glen Rose area.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lunchb0x posted:

Looks very clean and well kept. That fairing should help you keep safe from traffic police and their anti-fun radars.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Pubic Lair posted:

Here are updated pics of my zephyr after I finally got to wash and wax it from the new paint job last fall

Do you live in MI? I swear I see that same bike ride by my house quite often.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pubic Lair posted:

Man, I always forget how sweet Zephyrs look. I love that tail section.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Lunchb0x posted:

Hmmmm. Reminds me of something I wonder what it cou....

:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Do you live in MI? I swear I see that same bike ride by my house quite often.

Nope, Harvard IL just between chicago and milwaukee

Phat_Albert posted:

Man, I always forget how sweet Zephyrs look. I love that tail section.

I always forget to put the asterisk on and mention that the PO chopped the tail and put the turn signals into the tail light housing. It should look like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Either way, still looks good.