Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Definitely talk to your vet again about Satchmo. Amitriptyline isn't the only option for reducing his stress with medication. Some cats do better on prozac, so see what your vet thinks about that. Sorry your situation sucks. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

bee soup posted:

Thank you so much for all your help through this. I might try the carrier thing, but I doubt that he'll enjoy being confined all night (especially with another cat roaming around). I might try sleeping with my partners' shirt or something and giving Satch lots of love, to show him that my partner's smell isn't threatening when it's in bed with me. Elvis is going into the vet on Wednesday to make sure her spay incision is healing properly, so I'll take that opportunity to discuss Satch with my vet. I think it might be best to bring him into the vet again to make sure he's still not having any physiological problems, but if all his unpleasant behaviours are stress-induced, and anti-anxiety medication and synthetic pheremones haven't helped, well, I don't know how much longer I should wait to see if he mellows out. Maybe I should surrender Elvis instead... I guess she would have a better chance at adoption. I just don't know what to do.

I called animal services and they recommended that I bring him back, but they also said that he probably has no chance of re-adoption, so if I bring him back there it kind of seems like a death sentence.

The problem with taking Elvis in is what if Satch is never cured of his problems? Then you have to surrender/re-home him and you are now out both of your cats which would really suck. So I'd suggest keeping Elvis.

How are they getting along? Could it be possible to put them both in one large5r carrier? Or perhaps separate carriers for the night time? I don't by any means think the cat carrier idea is something that should be permanent, just until Satch clams down and learns he doesn't need to pee on your head. Before bed time I'd make sure to play with them really hard, make sure they haven't snuck a nap a few hours before bed time so that by the time they need to go to sleep they are tuckered out. Also put a couple toy mice in the carrier. What about getting a bit ex-pen and putting some cat netting over the top so he/they can't jump out? It's bigger than a cat carrier, they can be in the same room as you and have more room to screw around with toys, food, water etc?

Mesh Ex-Pen with included Covering

Regular Wire Ex-Pen

Cat Netting

You can get Ex-Pens at Petco and they come in a shitload of sizes and heights. My mom found a bunch on craigs list too for pretty cheap when she needed one.

When he pees on the bed, is he only doing it by your head/pillows? Would it be possible to rig up some SSScat to your head board or the side of your bed? You might have to be careful getting in and out and the first couple times it might wake you up but it should take more than once or twice for him to get the picture to stay away from that area at night.

I'm not sure how effective this will be, but I'm just trying different ideas. v:(v

That all really seems like it would be more of a band-aid though until he calms down and realizes he doesn't need to mark you or the vet is able to work out some other reason he maybe doing this and treat him.

It seems like he needs a lot of extra love and attention from you. When you get home or wake up, get stupid excited to see him. Like, so excited that you'd be embarrassed if other people were watching, pick up up, love on him, pet him, give him treats, ignore Elvis, ignore your boyfriend, ignore everything else in the apartment, play with him and only him. Talk to him in a sweet, high pitched voice and say his name a lot. Do this anytime you come in, leave, wake up, before bed and a few other times during the day. You said it was better when other people were there giving him love, so try giving him lots of extra attention.

I like the idea with the boyfriends shirt, no harm in giving that a shot. Also, have him give Satch lots of love too. Bribery with treats is never a bad thing so hopefully he'll bond more with him. If part of the problem is Satch seeing the boyfriend as a threat this might help. Have him act stupid excited to see the cat too just like you. Play with Satch together so he associates both of you with happy fun times.

I really think you should take him to the vet again and let him know the medication isn't working. Maybe the can change the dosage or find another medication to put him on. They could possibly have options we haven't thought of yet. Maybe if those options don't work try a homeopathic type vet. I've never been to one and am skeptical, but hey, if it's a last ditch effort no harm in trying.

I know how frustrating this is, and how gross it must be to wake up with a head full of pee but I was hoping with more time he could calm down. That's why I was hoping some of the band-aid ideas I posted up above might work. Keep us posted. :(

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

He looks a lot like the dog I grew up with, who was a black lab/great dane cross, not that this is very scientific or anything. He had that same sort of glossy black coat that I didn't even realize wasn't quite typical of a lab until years later. Maybe he's a lab/american bulldog cross? He's a beaut! How big is he? Ben got to be about 120.

As to the jumping up thing: he's trying to get your attention/affection when he does that. The best thing to do is to turn around and completely ignore him for a few seconds/minutes every single time he does it. NEVER pet him or praise him when he jumps up, even if you don't mind that particular time. And kneeing him in the chest or popping him on the nose might be negative attention but it's still attention and some dogs don't care one way or another.

This has helped a lot with my puppy, he has stopped about 90% of his jumping just from this.

A good number or people suggested lab/great dane so that might be the case.

He's about 70-80 pounds at the moment but he's still growing and still skinny. I'll try completely ignoring his bad behavior and let you know how it works--thanks.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Helanna posted:

I just heard that my Mum bought by little sister a 4 week old guinea pig from a pet store today :doh:

Now, they already have two adult guineas who are happy, healthy little pigs, and we had guinea pigs for years when I was growing up, but my instinct says that 4 weeks old is too young?

Apparently the three pigs all get on well together, but still, the age makes me concerned. Anything special that they need to do with a guinea that young?

Aaand the obligatory photo:

Four weeks is about a week after they need to be separated from the male siblings, so it's not too young in terms of bonding her with new girls. My bigger concerns would be A) that she may be a male (unless your parents are pretty savvy at sexing baby pigs and have already ruled that out), and B) she probably has mites, coming from a pet store - and now all three pigs probably have mites. Get them to a vet ASAP, get the baby sexed, and get them all treated with a preventative course of ivermectin or Revolution (NOT Frontline).

The other, bigger concern is that the baby needs to be eating alfalfa-based pellets and alfalfa hay for another 24-48 weeks or so. The adults need to NOT be eating alfalfa, as it can lead to bladder stones. So for six months to a year, the baby should be separated and given alfalfa based foods once a day. The rest of the time she can eat timothy based foods like her friends.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Well, good to know it's not too young at least.

After a previous incident of a pet store selling us "two males" when I was a kid (who later turned out to be one male and one pregnant female), my Mum is very vigilant about sexing the pets herself; she's 100% sure it's a girl.

As far as vets go, I know the current guineas have been in and out of the vets for checkups regularly enough (and I think one of them had a dry skin issue for a while, or something) so I guess the mites thing is also not an issue by this stage. I'll remind them though.

The alfalfa thing I didn't know, so I'll pass that on - my sister is very taken with the new pig, so she's got her out for handling very regularly. She's apparently a happy little thing, and eating well so it should be simple enough to feed her something different to the others once a day.

Thanks!

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Allright posted:

A good number or people suggested lab/great dane so that might be the case.

He's about 70-80 pounds at the moment but he's still growing and still skinny. I'll try completely ignoring his bad behavior and let you know how it works--thanks.

My family and I have done great dane rescue for the past ten years, and we've even had a few dane/lab mixes. To me, he doesn't look like he has any dane in him.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
my cat is crying
she has clear tears coming out of her right eye. I'm going to call the vet in the morning but should I call the e vet now? I noticed the eye was red last night and a little tear but it seems to be getting worse. she gets "pink eye" when she gets stressed out but this looks different, and that hasn't happened in ages, at least over a year. She seems fine in every other way, but she has been very affectionate.
*edited to add I did call the e vet and they said she should be ok tonight and just bring her in tomorrow in the morning

*2nd edit home from the vet, my snow princess has the pink eye again :( they stained her eye to make sure there were no scratches and she is fine, but they also took a sample of a bump that has been bothering me so that was good, also they want her to come in for teef cleanings :( i have to hold her eye open and put stuff in it twice a day but she will be fine
so yay

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 5, 2009

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
I have a really skinny cat can anyone suggest an easy treat to fatten them up?

It is a kind of older cat and I asked the vet and he really said any treat, but I am nervous about feeding him just any random fat treat.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Scrotos posted:

It is a kind of older cat and I asked the vet and he really said any treat, but I am nervous about feeding him just any random fat treat.

If your older cat has lost weight, why didn't they do bloodwork to find out what's up? Weight loss in an older cat is pretty much always a symptom of an underlying problem, not just old age. On top of that, there are some great appetite stimulant drugs that work great for older kitties who don't want to eat (again due to a real medical problem that needs treatment on its own).

You can try chicken baby food, but make sure you get a brand that only has chicken (no onion or garlic ingredients). Keep in mind that baby food isn't nutritionally complete for a cat, so he needs to be getting some calories from cat food, too. There's also a prescription food you can get from your vet called A/D that's very calorie dense and high fat. It also happens to be stinky and typically pretty appealing to older cats.

Also if your cat is only being fed dry food, you should be feeding canned. See the nutrition megathread for the good stuff, but even Fancy Feast is better than nothing for a skinny, picky eater.

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006
Hardcore like Charles Bronson
My dog has a medium-length two-layer coat and I've noticed that as things warm up she's gotten a bit more lethargic. I was wondering what the consensus was on shaving her down.

I know that generally the advice is to do the belly hair first, but she doesn't have much down there naturally, so I don't think it'd do that much.

I am a little worried about clipping down all her guard hairs because she loves running through brush and woods, and I want her to have all the protection possible.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I suggested to my husband the other day that we go to the SSPCA, you know, just to look... He responded with "If you bring back a disease on your shoe and get our cats sick, I will kill you." Not wanting an argument or a grumpy husband, I dropped the subject, but it has me wondering. Can you bring home cat diseases on your clothing/skin?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Scrotos posted:

Maybe he doesn't like his food? Check out nutrition thread and get some sample bags till you find one he'll scarf down. Shouldn't take too long to find one.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Crooked Booty posted:

If your older cat has lost weight, why didn't they do bloodwork to find out what's up? Weight loss in an older cat is pretty much always a symptom of an underlying problem, not just old age. On top of that, there are some great appetite stimulant drugs that work great for older kitties who don't want to eat (again due to a real medical problem that needs treatment on its own).

You can try chicken baby food, but make sure you get a brand that only has chicken (no onion or garlic ingredients). Keep in mind that baby food isn't nutritionally complete for a cat, so he needs to be getting some calories from cat food, too. There's also a prescription food you can get from your vet called A/D that's very calorie dense and high fat. It also happens to be stinky and typically pretty appealing to older cats.

Also if your cat is only being fed dry food, you should be feeding canned. See the nutrition megathread for the good stuff, but even Fancy Feast is better than nothing for a skinny, picky eater.

Yea we ended up buying some baby food and are going to ration that in with his normal dry and wet food. The vet ran blood work, he is healthy just old. He also only has like one tooth left so I think he is just having trouble eating cause when he fed him the baby food he ate 2 whole cans! So we might just have to keep him on that with some regular food to make sure he has fiber and stuff so he does not have weird poop.

Thanks for the baby good advice. I asked our vet today about it and he thinks wed food/dry food/ and some baby food sounds like a good combo.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
If he's only got the one tooth left then dry food straight out of the bag is going to be all but impossible for him to eat. Switch him permanently to straight wet food so that he can eat it better. The plus side is that you don't have to worry about him getting plaque on his teeth since they're all gone!

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Women's Rights? posted:

If he's only got the one tooth left then dry food straight out of the bag is going to be all but impossible for him to eat. Switch him permanently to straight wet food so that he can eat it better. The plus side is that you don't have to worry about him getting plaque on his teeth since they're all gone!

yea the dry food is really out there for my 2 younger cats, he just attempt to eat it anyways and I am not going to stop him from trying. I already started feeding him wet food 3 times a day even though the younger cats get it once. (He only eats like a 3rd a can at a time, but he will eat 2 baby food cans at a time or at least did last night and this morning.) So I think it was not his hunger just finding food he can actually eat. So I think I got it under control. Thanks.

vvv might try that

Scrotos fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 5, 2009

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Someone posted about feeding an old cat with missing teeth by letting the dry food stew in warm/hot water for a little bit so they're still getting adult food but its much more manageable.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Burnt Out Case posted:

Awesome looking dog. Looks like a rat terrier I fostered. Is he obedience trained? If so, have you thought of training him more? I am in the process of training the smarter of my two dogs to stay at 30 feet, or with me outside of the room. Its pretty fun, and it wears him out. After we work at it for awhile he conks out.

He is somewhat trained, knows: sit, stay, paw, other paw, lay, off. But yeah he needs some more, how are you going about your training?

And just cause PI loves pictures:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm leaving on a camping trip for nearly 2 weeks, in 2 weeks, and have ordered an auto fish feeder, but am wondering what to do with my mouse.

Do you think it's okay to leave a mouse unattended with tooooooooons of food for 2 weeks? I'm kinda worried about the cage getting really nasty, especially since she tends to eliminate where she eats.

I'm trying to find a friend who is actually staying in this college town for the summer, and tolerates rodents, but am coming up kinda empty. I'm considering messaging the girl who I adopted her from in the first place, but would feel kind of out of line asking favors because we didn't know each other before the mouse, and really have no contact other than being facebook friends now.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I have a question: how normal is it to want to throw my puppy in a river?

He's eight months old now and just got fixed on Friday and oh my GOD, he's been an rear end in a top hat the past two days. What the hell. Last night I took him for a nice long walk (45 minutes) and then I took him in the backyard to try working on his obediance stuff in a different setting. He did "sit" and "down" and then I tried telling him to stay and he went ape poo poo on me - running around at top speed in a circle. When I tried to make him quit that he got all mouthy on me. GRRR.

Puppies are assholes!

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I have a question: how normal is it to want to throw my puppy in a river?

He's eight months old now and just got fixed on Friday and oh my GOD, he's been an rear end in a top hat the past two days. What the hell. Last night I took him for a nice long walk (45 minutes) and then I took him in the backyard to try working on his obediance stuff in a different setting. He did "sit" and "down" and then I tried telling him to stay and he went ape poo poo on me - running around at top speed in a circle. When I tried to make him quit that he got all mouthy on me. GRRR.

Puppies are assholes!

Yes. They go through a teenage stage, and sometimes it seems like they've forgotten everything they've ever learned. Be patient, and take small steps.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

tse1618 posted:

Yes. They go through a teenage stage, and sometimes it seems like they've forgotten everything they've ever learned. Be patient, and take small steps.

Sigh. Yeah, I figured. :) I'm kinda frustrated because I don't really know what to expect from him and when to expect it, if you know what I mean. I got him a month+ ago so he was already over six months old but he came from an awful family that didn't teach him much of anything. He knows sit, down, stay, come, leave it, drop it - he's not 100% on any of those though. And he's getting better about not pulling on the leash but I feel like "heel" is beyond him at this point. I just don't know if I'm expecting too much or what.

Mostly he's really good. I suppose I won't toss him in the river just yet. If I did I would only jump in right after him and pull him out and kiss his nose anyway.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.
So I took in a rescue dachshund yesterday at about 7PM. I'm planning on adopting him, but it's just a foster arrangement for the first week or two to make sure he gets along with my first dog. He was abused by his previous owner, so he's still really skittish which I expected but he hasn't eaten, drank or gone to the bathroom in the 16+ hours he's been here. I'm not too worried about the eating or drinking yet, but I've taken him on 4 walks and he hasn't squeezed out a drop yet which does concern me. Do I need to be worried about this, or should I just give him some more time?

zeek40 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 5, 2009

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

zeek40 posted:

So I took in a rescue dachshund yesterday at about 7PM. I'm planning on adopting him, but it's just a foster arrangement for the first week or two to make sure he gets along with my first dog. He was abused by his previous owner, so he's still really skittish which I expected but he hasn't eaten, drank or gone to the bathroom in the 16+ hours he's been here. I'm not too worried about the eating or drinking yet, but I've taken him on 4 walks and he hasn't squeezed out a drop yet which does concern me. Do I need to be worried about this, or should I just give him some more time?

My cat didn't crap for the first 72 hours she was here. A lot of times animals get constipated or are too nervous to do their business. It's only been 16 hours, give it a bit more time. Keep taking him out though so he has the opportunity if he wants too. Watch and make sure he's eating and drinking okay. It's awesome you took on a rescue, I really hope it works out for you guys! :)

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
About a month ago, Gilbert puked up some bile (which he had never done before), I noted it and thought if he did it again I would take him in. Well today, he puked up more bile, it was just yellow and it was after he ate (but no food came up).

Every now and again he starts hiccuping (or that is what it sounds like) and I pat him on the back and it usually goes away. I am debating on taking him to the vet (likely expensive with blood tests and the like) as he isn't puking bile up all of the time.

Anyone have any ideas?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Regnevelc posted:

About a month ago, Gilbert puked up some bile (which he had never done before), I noted it and thought if he did it again I would take him in. Well today, he puked up more bile, it was just yellow and it was after he ate (but no food came up).

Every now and again he starts hiccuping (or that is what it sounds like) and I pat him on the back and it usually goes away. I am debating on taking him to the vet (likely expensive with blood tests and the like) as he isn't puking bile up all of the time.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cambria does that every once in a while for no apparent reason. It doesn't seem to bother her, so I've never gone to the vet about it.

Now, she does have a tendency to puke more after she's eaten something she shouldn't have (sticks, plastic, etc). Thankfully, she'll throw it up before it gets into her intestines. *knock on wood*

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Yeah, he was digging at something in the grass last night. I'll watch him over the next few days and if I see it again, I'll take him in.

He is eating just fine, drinking just fine, and playing his rear end off like normal.

epilepticMinnie
Apr 15, 2009
So I gave my 9 year old rat terrier Sergeants gold flea medicine (I'm too poor right now for the good flea medicine) probably six hours ago and she started gagging over and over just an hour later. I've been awake all night with her because she keeps throwing up. I took her outside once and she ate a bunch of grass. A little while later she threw up grass. Now she is still gagging and licking her lips and whining wanting to go outside. I don't want to let her because she'll just end up throwing up more grass. I tried wiping her face with a wet rag but every time she licks a part of her body she just starts gagging again. I'm pretty sure her previous owner (I adopted her two months ago) said she used Sergeants, but maybe she didn't say she used it on my dog.

She seems to have stopped throwing up, but is whining a lot now. Is this serious or will she be fine with time? Should I bathe her really well right away or is it okay to leave it on her?

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

epilepticMinnie posted:

She seems to have stopped throwing up, but is whining a lot now. Is this serious or will she be fine with time? Should I bathe her really well right away or is it okay to leave it on her?

Honestly, I'd be inclined to take her to a vet.

epilepticMinnie
Apr 15, 2009
Actually, I just called the Sergeant's emergency line. The lady was very helpful. She said the medicine can make the skin tingly so that's why my dog kept licking herself. She suggested bathing her with dish soap and taking her to the vet if she vomits again. I bathed her and she seems to be a lot more calm. The lady also said to fed her liquid from a can of tuna to get that taste out of her mouth. My dog seemed to like that.

So she is doing better now, but so that she doesn't get too dehydrated I'll take her to the vet if she vomits again.

Sorry for the freak out post earlier.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

epilepticMinnie posted:

Actually, I just called the Sergeant's emergency line. The lady was very helpful. She said the medicine can make the skin tingly so that's why my dog kept licking herself. She suggested bathing her with dish soap and taking her to the vet if she vomits again. I bathed her and she seems to be a lot more calm. The lady also said to fed her liquid from a can of tuna to get that taste out of her mouth. My dog seemed to like that.

So she is doing better now, but so that she doesn't get too dehydrated I'll take her to the vet if she vomits again.

Sorry for the freak out post earlier.

In the future, please do not use lovely topical flea meds. Reactions like your dog's is why we always advise people to get the real stuff from their vet.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

epilepticMinnie posted:

So I gave my 9 year old rat terrier Sergeants gold flea medicine (I'm too poor right now for the good flea medicine) probably six hours ago and she started gagging over and over just an hour later. I've been awake all night with her because she keeps throwing up. I took her outside once and she ate a bunch of grass. A little while later she threw up grass. Now she is still gagging and licking her lips and whining wanting to go outside. I don't want to let her because she'll just end up throwing up more grass. I tried wiping her face with a wet rag but every time she licks a part of her body she just starts gagging again. I'm pretty sure her previous owner (I adopted her two months ago) said she used Sergeants, but maybe she didn't say she used it on my dog.

Wash it off of her and take her to the vet right away. Cheap flea treatments like Hartz and Sergeants are horrible and can make animals very ill and have even killed quite a few pets. I'd probably call the e-vet and ask them what you can do and if you should take him in right away. Yeah, it's cheaper flea treatment but you pay more in the long wrong from vet bills.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Is there an ideal height for an elevated feeder? My mom's dog has gas (from both ends, too!), and I've heard this might help her swallow less air. She's a golden retriever, and most of the feeders I see are so low to the ground that it doesn't seem like it would help that much.

(She also has food allergies and is on a high quality diet, so I doubt that's the culprit. Or even if it is, we're not changing her food because she has finally stopped chewing her skin off. :))

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Can anyone recommend good books on dog training?

I want to buy and read some before I get a puppy (hopefully June 1st!) so that I can do all the right stuff (crate/clicker etc). Puppy classes will follow of course, but not until after all the vaccines are done, so I'll have a few weeks of doing my own training with the pup, and I've never had to do it before.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
My cat had a runny nose this morning and has been sneezing occasionally for possibly longer than two weeks. He seems fine but I know this is rather unusual for my cat considering for the first 16 years I knew him I only saw him sneeze maybe once every few months. I wouldn't concern myself with this at all if he wasn't so old. Should I be concerned?

While I'm at it, he is really thin, but I don't think there is much we can do about that at this point.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

My cat had a runny nose this morning and has been sneezing occasionally for possibly longer than two weeks. He seems fine but I know this is rather unusual for my cat considering for the first 16 years I knew him I only saw him sneeze maybe once every few months. I wouldn't concern myself with this at all if he wasn't so old. Should I be concerned?

While I'm at it, he is really thin, but I don't think there is much we can do about that at this point.

Sounds like he could have an upper respiratory infection. Usually this is from a virus, but just like human colds it can progress to a bacterial infection, in which case antibiotics might help. You can try waiting it out, but if he's not eating well or seems to not feel good, I'd take him to a vet. They can at least give him something to help with the congestion and his appetite.

Also, 16 really isn't that old for a cat. If he is losing weight, that is a symptom of a problem, not just old age. Hyperthyroidism, diabetes, and kidney disease are all VERY common problems in older cats than can make them lose weight. All three are also manageable with medication and home care, so take your cat to a vet and get some labwork done. Please!

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

Crooked Booty posted:

Sounds like he could have an upper respiratory infection. Usually this is from a virus, but just like human colds it can progress to a bacterial infection, in which case antibiotics might help. You can try waiting it out, but if he's not eating well or seems to not feel good, I'd take him to a vet. They can at least give him something to help with the congestion and his appetite.

Also, 16 really isn't that old for a cat. If he is losing weight, that is a symptom of a problem, not just old age. Hyperthyroidism, diabetes, and kidney disease are all VERY common problems in older cats than can make them lose weight. All three are also manageable with medication and home care, so take your cat to a vet and get some labwork done. Please!

It's been done. He has a kidney problem that gets worse when we treat his hyperthyroidism (something to do with increased blood pressure helping his kidneys function better - otherwise he throws up constantly). And yeah he's about 19 years old, we got him from the vet when he was three. :)

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
Now that its warmed up outside, my apartment has had some bug problems. Some ant-like bugs with wings that let them fly short distances. I don't know what they are, but they got in somehow and need to be gotten rid of. I am wondering what the best way to do this is with a cat around. Normally, my apartment complex would just spray a bit of stuff around the floor in corners, but I'm concerned about pesticides hurting the cat. Does anyone know if there any good safe sprays that won't hurt a cat? Failing that, (and this is more an exterminator question than a PI question) does anyone know if there are fast acting sprays that dissipate quickly enough I could get away with leaving my cat with a friend overnight?

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.
If they look like this, they're probably termites and you're probably gonna have to find a place to stay for a few days while they bomb your apartment.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
I'm having a persistent problem that when I walk my parent's dog, he pulls like mad. He's very strong and about 80 lbs, and I have a very difficult time stopping him.

I think it's because my dad usually jogs with him and he's used to going faster. I like to walk at a normal pace, but he wants to go fast. But if I speed up, he speeds up too!

I've read everything that says to just stop in your tracks and praise them when they heel or stop pulling or turn to look at you... but he never does. I've tried over and over, every trick they say. I'll stand there and wait and wait, and he just keeps pulling, or at least never takes tension off the leash. He never heels. At best he'll just sit, but the second we start moving again he's back to pulling.

If I try to turn around and go the other way, he just pulls in the other direction.

He usually ignores treats when we're walking, even if he hasn't had dinner yet and should be hungry, so I have no way to reward him for those brief instances where he's not pulling.

I'm at a total loss. My dad insist he walks perfectly for them, but I think in that case my dad is just fast enough to keep up with the pace the dog wants to go.

Should I look into prong collars or anything? He starts wheezing he pulls so hard with a normal collar and it worries me.

VVV edit: Ooh I totally forgot about those things, thanks. The head collars always looked iffy but that looks like it could work... I'll stop by Petco and see what they have.

Customer Service fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
Our last dog pulled something terrible on walks, so we fitted her for an easy walk harness:

http://www.buygentleleader.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/collars/easywalk/description

After a few weeks of wearing it, she was better with a regular collar/leash. If you do go this route, make sure it fits snugly. The functionality will be lost if the harness is loose. Not sure what pet stores you have in your area, but I've seen it at both Petsmart and Petco.