Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Frontalot posted:

Oh...my...God. That's like the cinematic version of "did I tell you about the time I got arrested?"

I don't understand this reference, and googling just turns up an unrelated village voice article. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

ClydeUmney posted:

I don't understand this reference, and googling just turns up an unrelated village voice article. Help?
It's a joke that you're supposed to tell straight and drag out as long as possible before delivering the lame punchline, just to piss people off.

The boiled-down version, which you embellish as needed: Did I tell you about the time I was arrested? I was driving along I-5 and there was a family in this car in front of me and the kids in the backseat were playing with their cat. Well, I guess they had the windows down because the cat jumped out and I accidentally hit it. Seeing the family pull over, I pulled over behind them and was greeted by an angry mother.

"Sorry I hit your cat."

Her: "Is that alcohol on your breath? I should have you arrested."

"Please don't do that. What would it take to make it up to you? Fifty bucks?"

Her: "You're going to put a price on my kids' trauma?"

"Look, I can give you seventy bucks and maybe a promise for more, but it's all I have on me."

Her: "What don't you get about not putting a price on my kids' trauma? I'm calling the cops, you drunk."

Twenty minutes later, I was arrested. You know what they got me for?

Haggling over the price of pussy on an interstate.

It's really bad, but there's no other joke I know of that pisses people off more.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Frontalot posted:

It's a joke that you're supposed to tell straight and drag out as long as possible before delivering the lame punchline, just to piss people off.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'll agree with you Frontalot, I found April Fool's Day to be really bad. The very end is really funny though. Crazy jack in the box thingy? That's pretty funny, I like that. I'll definitely avoid the remake, of course.

And H2 looks pretty interesting, I'm liking Rob Zombie's stuff, at least since Devil's Rejects.

Seems like a decent year for horror so far.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

PsychoGoatee posted:

I'll agree with you Frontalot, I found April Fool's Day to be really bad.
I can't stand it when a twist invalidates all that we've seen before, even if it's really, really good. That's why I'm mixed on April Fool's Day; it's clever, but to what purpose?

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Frontalot posted:

I can't stand it when a twist invalidates all that we've seen before, even if it's really, really good. That's why I'm mixed on April Fool's Day; it's clever, but to what purpose?

I pretty much found the movie to be bland and boring all throughout, so the ending didn't really change that either way. If that ending was on a slasher movie I was enjoying, I'd definitely be annoyed by it. But yes, the ending was silly too.

Did you enjoy the spooky jack in the box at the end though? Because that was legendary in my book.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

PsychoGoatee posted:

I pretty much found the movie to be bland and boring all throughout, so the ending didn't really change that either way. If that ending was on a slasher movie I was enjoying, I'd definitely be annoyed by it. But yes, the ending was silly too.

Did you enjoy the spooky jack in the box at the end though? Because that was legendary in my book.
And the party scene at the beginning. It was really creepy, the way it was shot, like a fading memory of a funeral instead of a birthday party.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hey guys is Left For Dead as awesome as it was supposed to be.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

weekly font posted:

Hey guys is Left For Dead as awesome as it was supposed to be.

Try the proper sub-forum and thread; and yes.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

wormil posted:

There are 3 different horror movies with that same name, at least one of which is a slasher, but you're probably right and he posted in the wrong forum.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
Never trust the White man driving the Black van, he's saving all his voodoo for you
umm Trip report?

I went to the Tribeca Film Fest last night and saw a midnight showing of Ti West's House of the Devil. This is a solid SOLID old school horror film.

Everyone looking for the return of suspense based horror that isn't pretentious - here it is folks.

Story is straight up B-movie - college girl needs money so she signs up to be a babysitter for this creepy couple in a house in the middle of the woods during a lunar eclipse and well... they don't have a kid (not a spoiler!). The movie is shot grainy and uses 70's/80's camera style (actual good zooms!)and music. While it is set in the 80's, the period is not overdone by over doing it like most 80's period pieces are - just subtle touches like pay-phones and walkmen.

While many films now try to be "throwback", this one actually feels like it was made in the 80's. While the last act is pretty bloody, the movie relies more on tension and suspense, creepy noises - creepy people - creepy atmosphere.

I don't know if it got distribution yet since it premiered at Tribeca but from the audience reaction - it will. God I love seeing a well-made horror film with people that actually want to be there in a non-ironic way. I love to hear people scream at the scares and then giggle in acknowledgment of a well-done fright.

trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_-5tU3Diy0 - honestly - I cannot recommend this movie enough - track this fucker down.

wanted to give it another shout out in a different thread. But don't see it expecting a wham-bam-flash-gore movie. It is like Terrance Mallick made an American gothic film.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time
Wow I really want to see House of the Devil now. Too bad Australia sucks for getting movies like that released.

Also, H2 looks awesome :colbert:

Well, better than the first one anyway.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

wormil posted:

Isn't that new movie with the chrome-skull killer called Left For Dead? Cause that's what I meant.

EDIT: It's Laid To Rest. I'm an idiot. Was it good?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

That House of the Devil looks pretty awesome, I hope it gets a national release fairly soon. I kind of wish we got more throwbacks to older horror movies like that instead of fifty more slasher film remakes.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

weekly font posted:

Isn't that new movie with the chrome-skull killer called Left For Dead? Cause that's what I meant.

I thought it was ok. Great gore effects but they movie is let down by characters being totally moronic and a total lack of suspence.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

It's a "Check your brain at the door" kind of Slasher, I happened to love it but a lot of people hate it.

Some fantastic gore effects though and the cast is decent enough except the lead chick who's pretty loving terrible.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
There seems to be a remake of The Stepfather coming out this October, if anyone cares. The poster at least is neat.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

timeandtide posted:

There seems to be a remake of The Stepfather coming out this October, if anyone cares. The poster at least is neat.

It's from the makers of Prom Night so no, no one cares.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

It's from the makers of Prom Night so no, no one cares.
Playing devil's advocate: these are also the makers of Nip/Tuck and Southland. Maybe Prom Night was a fluke?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wilhelm Scream posted:

It's a "Check your brain at the door" kind of Slasher, I happened to love it but a lot of people hate it.

Some fantastic gore effects though and the cast is decent enough except the lead chick who's pretty loving terrible.

Is it a straight-up slasher or should I expect a bunch of HOLY poo poo TWIST moments?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Is there any way I can find a version of My Bloody Valentine that's been composited? My eyes don't work right for 3-D. :(

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Frontalot posted:

Is there any way I can find a version of My Bloody Valentine that's been composited? My eyes don't work right for 3-D. :(

Unless I'm mistaken, and glancing at the disc reviews I'm not, both the Bluray and DVD offer both the 3D and 2D versions.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Ape Agitator posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, and glancing at the disc reviews I'm not, both the Bluray and DVD offer both the 3D and 2D versions.
Yep, found it. Thanks!

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Ape Agitator posted:

How do you watch the 3D version at home?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Pet Rock Band posted:

How do you watch the 3D version at home?

It's been formatted in the old red/blue standard and comes with, I think, four pairs of fold out glasses. So it won't be the nifty new shutter system used in the new 3D theaters but it's workable.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Ape Agitator posted:

It's been formatted in the old red/blue standard and comes with, I think, four pairs of fold out glasses. So it won't be the nifty new shutter system used in the new 3D theaters but it's workable.
I thought it was my eyes, but my wife also says she can't see the 3-D effect on the DVD release. Then again, we were using the Intel Super Bowl glasses and they look a little different from your standard 3-D glasses.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Frontalot posted:

I thought it was my eyes, but my wife also says she can't see the 3-D effect on the DVD release. Then again, we were using the Intel Super Bowl glasses and they look a little different from your standard 3-D glasses.

Yeah, those were custom glasses and I think I recall that attempts to use standard 3D glasses to watch those specials also failed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is something I'd been wondering about for a while and sorta on topic: A few weeks after MBV3D came out, I saw that a cam version (of 3D, not 2D) had been released on some torrent site. I still have my glasses from when I saw MBV3D in theaters, so if I were to watch something like that on my computer with the glasses on, would it have all the 3D effects that I saw in the theater?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This is something I'd been wondering about for a while and sorta on topic: A few weeks after MBV3D came out, I saw that a cam version (of 3D, not 2D) had been released on some torrent site. I still have my glasses from when I saw MBV3D in theaters, so if I were to watch something like that on my computer with the glasses on, would it have all the 3D effects that I saw in the theater?

I don't think it would. The capture would be at best 24 fps and the newer 3D systems run much higher than that, like 6 times the regular frame rate so that they can show the image for each eye individual fast enough to be smooth. It's different from the old 3D methods that were two projections overlaid on each other, which I think translate through typical encoding just fine.

Running at 24fps, I'd kind of assume that they'd be capturing both eye frames over the duration the camera's shutter was open and would blend them together, making it a mess that even the same glasses couldn't correct. And I don't even have a clue if you could capture circular polarization anyway.

So I'm pretty sure that the answer is no chance for many reasons. Old 3D, probably. Newer 3D, highly unlikely.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

Is it a straight-up slasher or should I expect a bunch of HOLY poo poo TWIST moments?

Straight-up Slasher, no real HOLY poo poo TWISTS in it.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Ape Agitator posted:

Eh. This isn't what the studios want to hear, but I have no plans on ever buying a Blu-Ray of a movie released in 3D that I saw in theaters.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Pet Rock Band posted:

Eh. This isn't what the studios want to hear, but I have no plans on ever buying a Blu-Ray of a movie released in 3D that I saw in theaters.
But it's eye-popping!

...Eye-poppingly bad.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Pet Rock Band posted:

Actually, this is the logic of 3d movies from the beginning. Basically, the effect is only really workable on a big screen so it will drive people who want to experience it into theaters instead of waiting for the home release. If I remember right, the 3D theaters outsold the 2D theaters for MBV like 5 or 6 to 1.

Of course, that's also why they're releasing the 3D movies as combo DVDs/BRs so you've got the 2D version to let people enjoy it traditionally.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
Never trust the White man driving the Black van, he's saving all his voodoo for you
Just saw Laid to Rest last night and wow... loving terrible.

Pros - The gore effects are truly top-notch and the kills are very creative.
- The main girl is way hot and the acting is sufficient.

cons - the camera work is terrible and done in a way that reminds me of DTV horror flicks made for under 20k
- the soundtrack is horrendous industrial-metal (and im a metalhead)
- characters do dumb poo poo, more-so then the normal dumb poo poo that characters do in hack-n-slash flicks. honestly, a character has a shotgun aimed at the killer while the killer slowly creeps towards him and then kills him. loving fire the gun or have the killer briskly run up and kill him.
- terrible pacing, no attempt at suspense ever - so no stalk scenes
- the killer is given no character at all and a reveal of his name means nothing since the movie never tries.
- the big reveal of who the main girl is is also very anti-climatic
- the main girl never goes nude and you honestly don't know she's hot until the last 10 minutes (since this is an "old school slasher", this is a point)

This movie loving pisses me off so much because it had so much potential; decent actors, awesome gore, and a killer that could be menacing. But this movie fucks it all up by seemingly made by a hack that loves slasher movies but hates film-making. I love slashers, grew up with them. Pieces is an awesome movie (check that out now if you haven't seen it). I dug Hatchet, which is like this but more fun and better made, I really liked Behind the Mask, and I overall welcome a return of the sub-genre.

I love lovely movies of the 80's but many people miss the point. Trying to make a lovely movie will make a lovely movie that is unwatchable (like this one). The reason those movies were somewhat successful was that they weren't trying to be bad, they were trying to be good but failed - the sincerity of it made those films memorable and fun to watch. Laid to Rest wanted to be a bad movie and succeeded. loving watch See No Evil instead, that movie was terrible but at least more fun to watch.

LeechCode5
Dec 19, 2004

Burn, Galactica! You're finished, Adama!
Has there been any word yet on what exactly is getting changed/added in the "extended killer cut" of Friday the 13th? Don't think I'll have the cash to buy both versions on DVD (or to finally upgrade to a bluray player). I thought the theatrical cut was pretty drat good, and considering the extended cut of the Halloween remake just made that movie even worse I'm kinda hesitant.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
A guy at work raised the question:

Is Jason really just a zombie?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

stawk Archer posted:

Jason is Jason. There's no definitive answer, and it's wildly inconsistent.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
For those in the UK, Tormented opens next Friday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdJP23OYS1Q

So far it's getting decent reviews- 4/5 from Empire and a 3/5 from Total Film, to bad the poster is terrible.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

stawk Archer posted:

I followed the first 3 movies, and would say clearly "no". Pissed off, feral, disfigured, anti-social, territorial crazy man, yes. But he wasn't actually a "zombie" per se until after the 5th installment in the series. The newer F13 flick did a better job of making Jason a pissed off, territorial person who had no social contact and lived a very lonely, sheltered life, but wanted revenge against the people who killed his mother. One thing the series didn't touch on clearly though was that Jason survived the drowning incident - the movies sort of left that open-ended enough that you didn't clearly know if he had come back to life, or if he survived and was traumatized. Based on a lot of his actions, I'd say survival + trauma + watching his mom get murdered = recipe for sweet, sweet, slashy revenge :black101:

Put it this way: You watch your mom get murdered after she finds/rescues you from drowning. But, nobody has taught you right from wrong or instilled any morals in you, so all you know is "mommy wants me to kill for revenge and she approves of it, so it must be okay". Thus, crazy serial killer is born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think the general consensus is that once he's reanimated by a bolt of lightning he's a zomb.