Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Halloween Jack posted:

Half-dragons and such aren't necessarily of any particular alignment, even if they have black dragon ancestry. So if Rich is playing this sensibly, V probably pulled the Ark-of-the-Covenant on a lot of Good and Neutral individuals.

That's not true. Half-dragon alignment is listed as "Same as the dragon variety." So no, they're always Chaotic Evil.

...Well I'm just SAYING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's a good thing DnD has alignments, I don't know what else we'd fill this thread with between updates.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Ashcans posted:

It's a good thing DnD has alignments, I don't know what else we'd fill this thread with between updates.

If I ever make an RPG, I'm going to make sure it has a subjective complex badly-defined four-axis alignment system.

"Yeah, well, I'm Lawful Selfish Atheist Neutral! My alignment requires that I behave that way!"
"You're completely misinterpreting the rulebook. That behavior is what a Neutral Corporate Buddhist Neutral character would do. Don't you even understand what Atheist means?"
"Hey guys, if I use Smite Heretic, but I'm Polytheistic, does it work on demons?"

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

No I think it's better to go the other way, have an RPG that just cleanly cuts everything into Good and Evil.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

oobey posted:

No I think it's better to go the other way, have an RPG that just cleanly cuts everything into Good and Evil.

Cleanly and inconsistently.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

ZorbaTHut posted:

If I ever make an RPG, I'm going to make sure it has a subjective complex badly-defined four-axis alignment system.

"Yeah, well, I'm Lawful Selfish Atheist Neutral! My alignment requires that I behave that way!"
"You're completely misinterpreting the rulebook. That behavior is what a Neutral Corporate Buddhist Neutral character would do. Don't you even understand what Atheist means?"
"Hey guys, if I use Smite Heretic, but I'm Polytheistic, does it work on demons?"

I think I would play this game.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

The second edition would double the alignment axis with optional 'Very' modifiers, in both directions.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

ZorbaTHut posted:

Were it the 1980s, you could be writing for Palladium right now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ZorbaTHut posted:

Have you considered RIFTS?

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

oobey posted:

The second edition would double the alignment axis with optional 'Very' modifiers, in both directions.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether I'd want these axes to be a collection of nonlinear options or points on a line. I'm really loving the idea of the Religion line though.

Atheist -- Agnostic -- Neutral -- Buddhist -- Christian -- Polytheistic

Because, obviously, the more religious you are, the more gods you believe in, right? :D

If I had a ton of spare time I'd write up the rules for this game as a subtle elaborate two-hundred-page playable troll.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZorbaTHut posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding whether I'd want these axes to be a collection of nonlinear options or points on a line.
Clearly it has to be a collection of nonlinear options arbitrarily assigned points on a line.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ZorbaTHut posted:

As the inventor of the Smart/Stupid axis, I demand that you use it :colbert:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

ZorbaTHut posted:

Clearly that depends on whether demons (both demons in general and the particular demons you want to smite) are part of the pantheon you worship.

Yeah, this could be awesome.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Okay what are the classes for our new game and who's going to do the themed web comic

Jahoodie fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 6, 2009

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
The classes have to have an oversaturated category while neglecting the others. For example:

Combat classes:
- Street brawler
- Archer
- Knight
- Dragon hunter
- Captain
- Ninja
- Savage
- Griffin tamer

Magic classes:
- Wizard

Support classes:
- Healer
- Manservant

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

KOraithER posted:

The classes have to have an oversaturated category while neglecting the others. For example:

Combat classes:
- Street brawler
- Archer
- Knight
- Dragon hunter
- Captain
- Ninja
- Savage
- Griffin tamer

Magic classes:
- Wizard

Support classes:
- Healer
- Manservant

In addition to Street Brawler, we need Martial Artist. And Monk.
Also, either every class needs access to alignment based abilities, or we need some kind of Holy Knight to have all the abilities like Smite Heathen, Smite Heretic, Smite Adulterer, Smite Someone Who Works on Holy Days, and so on.

I kinda like the idea of a class whose every attack is some kind of smite, actually. And none of them work unless the person you're trying to smite actually fits into that category for your (subjective) belief system.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like the Warhammer way of dividing up the universe into "Beings which deserve to die" and "Us".

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Sefer posted:

I kinda like the idea of a class whose every attack is some kind of smite, actually. And none of them work unless the person you're trying to smite actually fits into that category for your (subjective) belief system.

The most powerful class will be Paladin With Multiple Personality Disorder.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

I like the Warhammer way of dividing up the universe into "Beings which deserve to die" and "Us".

Actually, most of Us deserve to die too. In His name, if we're cool enough.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Having insomnia gets a little better when there's a new strip:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You know, today's comic seems to be pretty strong evidence for the Monster being a piece of the Snarl, if you think about it.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Holy poo poo I never even considered that.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
It's not. Rich has stated previously that it's not a monster of his own creation, but one that actually exists in DnD. Also, in Start of Darkness the hunters who find him in the rainforest know what kind of creature he is.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I'm confused as to where they can be where they can freely converse but still see V arrive.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GigaPeon posted:

I'm confused as to where they can be where they can freely converse but still see V arrive.

In a comic strip.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
do you guys think the monster in the darkness is Evil since he's using black Go pieces?

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
Can someone dig up the last time we saw "What's-his-face-ninja" and Monster in the Dark talking? Been a while. Don't even remember who that guy is or how he got captured.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

bison wings posted:

do you guys think the monster in the darkness is Evil since he's using black Go pieces?

He's pretty obviously chaotic stupid.

Werner-Boogle posted:

Can someone dig up the last time we saw "What's-his-face-ninja" and Monster in the Dark talking? Been a while. Don't even remember who that guy is or how he got captured.

He was the guy Xykon froze right before he seized the Azure throne. Dude was paralyzed for quite a while as "Mr Stiffly"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Werner-Boogle posted:

He's a Paladin of the Azure Guard, not a ninja. His name is O'Chul, and Xykon has been keeping him alive to entertain himself. You don't remember when they dropped into an acid pit filled with firesharks (or something) with Xykon and Redcloak taking bets on whether he could make it out?

Dude has probably leveled three times or something, if there is any justice in the world!

It's a shame that he's going to lose his Paladin status for consorting with evil creatures! :v:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think trying to turn an agent of evil toward the light is a perfectly paladin thing to do.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
no see, the creature in the darkness is evil (small e) so that doing evil things is Good (capital G) to him. By getting the creature to do good things would be Evil, so O'Chul is doing Evil. Since he's not losing his abilities, I think he switched to a Blackguard in the interim time that we've been watching V.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

bison wings posted:

no see, the creature in the darkness is evil (small e) so that doing evil things is Good (capital G) to him.

This further supports my hypothesis that Xykon is really the good guy in all of this

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Noonsaliwah posted:

It's not. Rich has stated previously that it's not a monster of his own creation, but one that actually exists in DnD. Also, in Start of Darkness the hunters who find him in the rainforest know what kind of creature he is.

I was thinking a tarrasque after today's.

Big. Eats a lot. Dumb (though technically sentient at Int 3), but not really evil. It mostly fits.

Granted, the tarrasque can't actually speak, but maybe there's a way around that? :shobon:

e: VVV too slow :v:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure the monster is a baby Tarrasque. All the stats seem to fit, including the low intelligence and wisdom, as well as its father being huge and eating a lot.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Brannock posted:

I'm pretty sure the monster is a baby Tarrasque. All the stats seem to fit, including the low intelligence and wisdom, as well as its father being huge and eating a lot.

Pretty much. And that poo poo would be terrifying to fight against.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Seftir posted:

Pretty much. And that poo poo would be terrifying to fight against.

Speaking of which, wouldn't this be a perfect time for Xykon to let loose the Monster, with V right there?

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Given how resistant to magic the average Tarrasque is it wouldn't be the worst idea, but epic magic trumps pretty much anything so I doubt even a full grown tarrasque (isn't there meant to be only one, ever?) could slow down V at the moment. No more than a fully grown dragon would at any rate.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Isn't V sufficiently high-level to automatically overcome a tarrasque's spell resistance anyway (He's still rocking two level 20+ casters, with their levels added to his own)? Plus he could always just disintegrate the floor, use a wall of force or do one of any number of other things.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Granted, the tarrasque can't actually speak, but maybe there's a way around that? :shobon:

It's been acknowledged (in Start of Darkness, I think) that the Monster speaking is unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

I think the monster's "dad" was the Tarrasque, but I also think the monster would latch on to another creature as a daddy-figure, like a baby duck imprinting on a "mother" of a different species.