Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Overwined posted:

Isn't this game where you can pop up a console window and watch the AI's thinking process churn away. A friend of mine had this (or that) game and it was breathtaking to watch decisions whirr away at an alarming rate.

Most chess engines have this feature. What's helpful is after a few seconds, you start to see the decision tree line up in order of rank of what the chess engine thinks is the best move sequence. I'm not sure if Chessmaster has this per se, but the Fritz engine (a version of which is also available for a tenner) also will give you plain language reasoning after the move sequence; "Develops white's bishop," or "harasses black's pawn," for example.

I've also seen Chessmaster 10 available at Fry's for ten bucks in a jewel case edition. It might be worth waiting a bit to see if UbiSoft authorizes GOG to sell 10; it's a lot prettier. But it'd be a dick move to sell 9000 and withold selling 10 until they thought they'd sold as many as possible.

Also, it's worth noting that any chess engine will wipe the floor with just about anyone not playing chess competitively. For normal shlubs like us, it's more important that the game 'play down' to our level, giving us a challenge without murdering us or making us feel like it's so obviously giving away pieces to artificially even things out. The good news is that Chessmaster does this pretty well, though I can't speak specifically for the 9000 product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

iceaim posted:

I live in Hong Kong and I never had issues with Steam. Can you clarify?

Off topic, but I wanted to pre-order Empire total war and get all the sets that came with it. They literally disappeared when I looked them up on my steam account here, when they were available in the US. So I feel like I lost a lot of money.

On topic. haven't gotten those stickers yet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Postal 2 Complete is up for $9.99

quote:

POSTAL 2 Complete includes the original POSTAL 2, POSTAL 2 Share the Pain multiplayer expansion and POSTAL 2 Apocalypse Weekend expansion pack with new weapons, characters, dismemberment and 20 new maps!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

iceaim posted:

I live in Hong Kong and I never had issues with Steam. Can you clarify?

Off topic also but I'm another Hongkie and can confirm this wasn't a steam issue, - the problem was specifically Empire Total War. Sega has an exclusive distributorship agreement covering Greater China with a quite unimpressive outfit, which precludes it from electronically distributing games here. In the event I just bought an imported UK version box from the cuteish girl in the PC games shop at the 188 centre, subsequently no probs with steam.

Having said all that I should emphasise that GoG is awesome, not least because it saves the trouble of these pointless and irritating regional restrictions. 10 games on the shelf and rising...

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 7, 2009

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Sporadic posted:

So I saw. Buying this now. :)

Went ahead and bought Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project also as another salute to 3D Realms and the great games they made. Here's hoping we'll still see more of them on GoG.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 7, 2009

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Sporadic posted:

Well, time to shoot Gary Coleman in the face. Again. I never got the expansions, so this is perfect.

Anyone recommend some good mods?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Welp, the GoG version of Fallout just murdered my video card. :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Went ahead and bought Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project also as another salute to 3D Realms and the great games they made.

Too bad they didn't make Manhattan Project :v:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bovineicide posted:

Well, time to shoot Gary Coleman in the face. Again. I never got the expansions, so this is perfect.

Anyone recommend some good mods?

AW7 (or AWP) is the game and the expansion pack glued together with a ton of weapons added (although alot of them suck)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/awp-a-week-in-paradise/downloads/awp-fudge-pack-version

Eternal Damnation is a zombie mod.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eternal-damnation/downloads/eternal-damnation

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Too bad they didn't make Manhattan Project :v:

But they're still listed as the developer. =/

In any case, I still supported the fantastic service that is GoG today for a few great games.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

whydirt posted:

Welp, the GoG version of Fallout just murdered my video card. :(

Care to explain?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Just checkin' in to say that I used GoG for the first time, and it is the loving poo poo. God Freespace 2 was such an awesome game.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish
I've been waiting for Postal 2, it was banned in Australia on release. Perfect time to see what I missed out on.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sorry if this has been answered but 14 pages is a ton to trawl through for a simple issue:
I decided to give Fallout 2 another go, and I just wanted to check if there are any additional patches or fixes one should install after installing the GOG version? It is version 1.2 I think, but the time on the map still goes by incredibly fast - is that normal? Also, random encounters on the world map seem very very few and far between.

Any recommendations?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

BadAstronaut posted:

Sorry if this has been answered but 14 pages is a ton to trawl through for a simple issue:
I decided to give Fallout 2 another go, and I just wanted to check if there are any additional patches or fixes one should install after installing the GOG version? It is version 1.2 I think, but the time on the map still goes by incredibly fast - is that normal? Also, random encounters on the world map seem very very few and far between.

Any recommendations?
You could try Killap's patch. It fixes a ton of bugs, including the passage of time on the map. I'm pretty sure I used this patch when I last played Fallout 2.

I'd also reccomend the patch to add children back into the game. They were "removed" by just taking out their sprites, so the kids are actually still in the game, just invisible. Which makes it easier for them to pickpocket you unnoticed, or for you to accidentally blow them up with a grenade. Both of which are bad things.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

BadAstronaut posted:

Any recommendations?

Check the gog.com forums for the fallout series. There's always a stickied thread on unofficial patches and mods to get you going.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I'd also reccomend the patch to add children back into the game. They were "removed" by just taking out their sprites, so the kids are actually still in the game, just invisible. Which makes it easier for them to pickpocket you unnoticed, or for you to accidentally blow them up with a grenade. Both of which are bad things.

Strange, they are totally visible in this unpatched version 1.2 I have here...
(or is that 1.02, I cant remember)

Trying KillApp's now...

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2009

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

BadAstronaut posted:

Trying KillApp's now...

Kids were only removed from the European release of Fallout 2. That said, even Europe has some copies of the version with kids in it that came in through various means, be it import versions or (as I got) ones that came with certain magazine/club subscriptions. The version I bought new in Norway had kids removed, and the one I got from some magazine thing my uncle bought had the kids in it.

I don't know what version GoG has, but I'd assume it's the original uncensored release.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

BadAstronaut posted:

Huh. I haven't actually yet played the GoG release of Fallout 2, but I did play GoG Fallout 1, and I know for a fact the kids were taken out of it. I just figured the same would be the case for Fallout 2.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Children are missing from the GOG version of Fallout 1, but are there in Fallout 2.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

Off topic also but I'm another Hongkie and can confirm this wasn't a steam issue, - the problem was specifically Empire Total War. Sega has an exclusive distributorship agreement covering Greater China with a quite unimpressive outfit, which precludes it from electronically distributing games here.

Then I stand corrected. had no idea there were so many people on here from Hong Kong. (3 is quite a lot in my mind)

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just wanted to say: If anyone is really aching for a cheap copy of Rainbow Six, I saw the Rainbow Six Gold Pack in my GoGamer newsletter today for only $4.90+shipping.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Charles Martel posted:

Just wanted to say: If anyone is really aching for a cheap copy of Rainbow Six, I saw the Rainbow Six Gold Pack in my GoGamer newsletter today for only $4.90+shipping.
Stick that up on ddd.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

404notfound posted:

Children are missing from the GOG version of Fallout 1, but are there in Fallout 2.

Well that sucks, but at least it's Fallout 1 and not 2. In Fallout 2 there's this one town that's like one big marketplace. In front of almost all the stores are two kids. Who will PICKPOCKET YOUR STUFF if you don't run past them quickly enough. In the children-less versions of Fallout 2, all they did was make the children invisible. So now your stuff is mysteriously disappearing and you'd think it's a glitch when it's just invisible children taking your stuff. I hated those pickpocket children, it was so satisfying to get them to pickpocket my active explosives and watch them explode.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

404notfound posted:

The european version I got also missed them, but some sites like NMA have their files so it's easy to fix.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I grabbed Fallout from GOG and I am a first time player. I've been exposed to the Fallout universe via Fallout 3.

I started playing Fallout and skimmed the start of a Fallout Walkthrough in gamefaqs to start me off in the right direction. I am at the Hub for the first time and the Walkthrough says to go to Necropolis next, but it doesn't appear to be an available area in the over world map. Why is that? Am I supposed to find it on my own by walking around the world map?

Also did I ruin the game for myself by using the unlimited money gambling trick?

So far I am having a blast with the combat system and cleared out a raider camp.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Agreed posted:

Care to explain?

After playing for a while, the game would lock up and crash every so often and after one such incident I now get screen artifacts in the BIOS and Windows loading screens (then it just locks up with a black screen with occasional flashes) and can only log into Safe Mode in Windows.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

iceaim posted:

Also did I ruin the game for myself by using the unlimited money gambling trick?

If I remember right, I had more caps than I knew what to do with by about level 6-7, once I was able to kill groups of raiders and sell all their poo poo, so not really. It'd make the early game a bit easy, though the game is cool enough that it's really fun with or without that early challenge.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Vidmaster posted:

If I remember right, I had more caps than I knew what to do with by about level 6-7, once I was able to kill groups of raiders and sell all their poo poo, so not really. It'd make the early game a bit easy, though the game is cool enough that it's really fun with or without that early challenge.

Awesome!

Should I assume that I need to find Necropolis by myself by exploring the wastes like I do on Fallout 3? So far no character told me about it in Shady Sands or Junktown.

Also in Necropolis can I get the water chip at any time, or do I have to get it in January?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

iceaim posted:

Awesome!

Should I assume that I need to find Necropolis by myself by exploring the wastes like I do on Fallout 3? So far no character told me about it in Shady Sands or Junktown.

Also in Necropolis can I get the water chip at any time, or do I have to get it in January?

You should be able to get the water chip in Necropolis at any time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

iceaim posted:

Awesome!

They should have pointed you toward some other locations. Just keep exploring.

And having caps doesn't really ruin the game. The really good equipment has to be taken from harder enemies or is given from quests.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished Arx Fatalis. Kinda sucks that the final boss was easier than the Ylsides. Overall a pretty fun if occasionally aggravating game.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
New promo:

quote:

For the whole week, until Monday, May 18 at 11:59 p.m. EDT you can grab three great adventure games, The Feeble Files, Waxworks and In Cold Blood, with a 25% discount. This means you can buy each title for only $4.49!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Just finished Arx Fatalis. Kinda sucks that the final boss was easier than the Ylsides. Overall a pretty fun if occasionally aggravating game.
I bought the game a few weeks ago and while it's a fun first person dungeon romp I still feel that it's a drat shame that the game doesn't hve a proper dialouge system.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

whoops, I forgot Postal 2 kinda sucked. Well I've spent ten dollars on worse things I guess.

And what the heck is with the Postal Girl comic

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thanks for the thread OP or I'd have never heard of this site. Seems very well organised and well priced.

Well, time for some Postal 2 I think.

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?
Absolutely loved Megarace growing up. So glad I read this thread.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If they put up the two Relentless games, I'm so there.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
And another promo: Heroes of Might and Magic (1) for $5.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Bought. I've been waiting for this for far too long. (Especially since I already own Heroes II and III).