Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma

marshmallard posted:

I don't know what country you're in, but in England, Creative Circle is an advertising-related company that runs some well-respected awards, produces an annual and does some membership-related stuff that I don't understand even though I'm a member.

Yeah... definitely not the same company. Creative Circle here in the states are based in major US cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, and others. They're basically a job placement agency for creative jobs. Just wondering if anyone dealt with them and their experiences.

RiceTaco fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

RiceTaco posted:

Anyone ever deal with Creative Circle? They always post a lot on craigslist, monster, careerbuilder, etc. in major cities. Sounds like a typical job placement agency...
They're a staffing agency. It doesn't necessarily mean they're not worth applying with, though.

Speaking of which, I'm looking up online job seeking resources. There seem to be a few specifically geared towards designers, but aside from Craigslist, Monster, and Creativeheads, can someone recommend a few more?

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Have you looked at Coroflot.com? It's basically a design industry job listings site where you can also post a portfolio.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KittenofDoom posted:

They're a staffing agency. It doesn't necessarily mean they're not worth applying with, though.

Speaking of which, I'm looking up online job seeking resources. There seem to be a few specifically geared towards designers, but aside from Craigslist, Monster, and Creativeheads, can someone recommend a few more?
I got a lot of quality contacts from dice last time I was looking for work, it was mostly from outside recruiters though. I also got a lot of Indian VoIP recruiters wanting me for a 60 day gig in Sarasota, FL for $20/hour so just be patient.

Also see if you can find your resume using a google search for relevant terms and your city. I still get a fair number of hits to my resume from Google.

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.
Anyone know any good sites for video production/post-production jobs? I've been looking, and I've really had the most success on craigslist, but that has a really low response percentage.

I'm moving to Seattle next month, and I have made a few contacts, but no one was really looking for entry level or intern stuff.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Snap Your Fingers posted:

Anyone know any good sites for video production/post-production jobs? I've been looking, and I've really had the most success on craigslist, but that has a really low response percentage.

I'm moving to Seattle next month, and I have made a few contacts, but no one was really looking for entry level or intern stuff.

Creative Cow has job postings for production and post. http://www.creativecow.net/

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can anyone tell me about concept art and character design for the video game/movie industry? Just how to get on that path and what type of career is possible.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

IntoTheNihil posted:

Can anyone tell me about concept art and character design for the video game/movie industry? Just how to get on that path and what type of career is possible.

I'm not sure if concept design is managed along the same vein, but I've heard nothing but horror stories from people working on the programming end of the gaming industry. It's hard to get into, they're generally on the low end of the pay scale, and they're driven like bloody slaves--and they know they can get away with it, because it's considered a 'fun job'.

If you're dedicated enough, I'd imagine that 'fun' jobs in the film and gaming industries could be pretty great--but from what I've heard from my sister (who used to work in film) and my nerd-friends who originally wanted to get into gaming, the best piece of advice is not to put all your eggs in that basket. For it is a tiny basket, and everyone and his dog wants to load their poo poo into it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't know about that, I have seen some horror stories too, but on the other side I have met a few artists from the industry and they all seemed to be happy with what they were doing. I guess it depends a lot on the company that you work for.

IntoTheNihil posted:

From what I've heard, both of those areas are extremely hard to get into. They don't need too many people doing that and you have to be pretty drat good at it to have a chance.

akanekun
Apr 5, 2008

IntoTheNihil posted:

It's oversaturated since art schools around the nation keep pumping out more grads than there are jobs, but don't let that discourage you. You'd need a portfolio showcasing your abilities - start to finish character design and/or concept designs (props, environment, vehicles, etc.) meaning sketches, reference research, refinement and final.

Career possibilities start at junior artist, texture artist, previsualization, storyboarding, matte painter, character designer, costume designer, etc. More than likely at a big studio you'd be doing cleanup of someone else's work if you get in when a project's already underway. Your chances of getting hired are much greater if you're able to do 3D and work that's production level - as in it can actually be used as in-game assets rather than fancy paintings designed to "inspire".

It does help a lot to know people currently working in the industry because a company's far more likely to hire a recommendation than a cold call.

Best way to start is to start drawing a lot (pros are drawing 8 hours a day, five days a week, constantly), draw from life, do landscape painting, the basics of foundation. You don't need to go to a school but it speeds up the process if you do. Tons of resources are out there specifically for concept art (conceptart.org, cgchannel, gnomon3d, etc.) so it's not as obscure as it once was.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

IntoTheNihil posted:

There are lots of fine arts graduates every year who you are competiting with, you really do need an incredibly high level of ability to get a 2D art job. Alot of the time company have far fewer concept artists than other 3D or animation artists as concept artists arent creating any shippable game assets (apart from texture artists).

As an example the artist who did those teamfortress 2 valentines was interviewed by vavle for a concept artist position but was deemed to not be good enough yet. You would have to be better than art then them to stand a chance at getting a job at a place like valve or any other top studio.

I wouldnt be suprised if there were 100-200 fine arts graduates for every job directly related to producing 2D art. Compared to say accounting its just a job where the economy simply doesnt have that many jobs for, so you are competiting against the best of the best to get a job in it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Let's say I go that route and can't get into the career after schooling. How many other options would I have relating to my work?

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Hi all! I am currently a Middle/High School art teacher who has discovered a love of design/media arts through my assignment to teach said classes to the kids. I would like to take some classes in this field, at least to be able to teach them better, but possibly for a future career change if I love it. Going to school full time is not an option, and I live in the middle of nowhere Midwest, so there are no schools for me to attend in person except community college, which offers daytime classes only in design.

I am looking into DeVry and the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online out of neccessity. Are these schools going to look laughable on a future resume? Are they worth my time, or should I keep teaching myself?

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
I'd take the Art Institute's design course over DeVry. The AI chain differs a lot by location and faculty but they usually do pretty well.

Impper
May 10, 2003

Okay, this was originally addressed to Defenestration but his PM box is full. I'm posting this here in case he's still reading the thread, and hey, maybe he can reply to it and help out any other prospective MFAs in CW. Maybe somebody else can weigh in, too.

Hey Defen,

I saw a few of your posts in the career thread in c&c. I graduated a couple weeks ago with a degree in financial economics, but a lot of my energy has gone into my writing. I'm not likely to pursue a career in banking or the government. I'm also taking a year off, which will give me some time to write and organize the application process for grad schools next year. Anyway, I have some questions for you if you don't mind me asking.

How do I best go about choosing my writing sample? Most of my fiction is quite long, with short stories running from 5000-10000 words. CW profs. have told me that the stuff is publishable, or at least near publishable. I also have a good deal of newer stuff, including the beginning of a novel I'm planning. In my personal estimation, what I have (of the novel) is quite good, but it hasn't seen editing or critique from anybody outside of myself. As you can imagine, this is a problem since most schools seem to only be interested in seeing 15 or 30 pages. I'm planning on asking some of my professors what they'd recommend I submit, but it's the summer and it may be a while before I get a response. Is there any chance you could skim the stuff?

How many schools should I apply to? I'd prefer to limit myself to NYC/Seattle/San Francisco/Chicago... honestly, at this point, I'm not too sure how important reputation is to me. I think I just need some time to write and interact with other writers and people who can competently edit. Just for example, I imagine (though I'm willing to be told otherwise) I'd rather go to a middling school in NYC than to the University of Houston, which supposedly has a great program, and broil to death in Texas.

Well, anyway, I had a bunch of other questions but you answered some of them and this is already an essay. Thanks a lot

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Impper posted:

Okay, this was originally addressed to Defenestration but his PM box is full. I'm posting this here in case he's still reading the thread, and hey, maybe he can reply to it and help out any other prospective MFAs in CW. Maybe somebody else can weigh in, too.

Hey Defen,

I saw a few of your posts in the career thread in c&c. I graduated a couple weeks ago with a degree in financial economics, but a lot of my energy has gone into my writing. I'm not likely to pursue a career in banking or the government. I'm also taking a year off, which will give me some time to write and organize the application process for grad schools next year. Anyway, I have some questions for you if you don't mind me asking.

How do I best go about choosing my writing sample? Most of my fiction is quite long, with short stories running from 5000-10000 words. CW profs. have told me that the stuff is publishable, or at least near publishable. I also have a good deal of newer stuff, including the beginning of a novel I'm planning. In my personal estimation, what I have (of the novel) is quite good, but it hasn't seen editing or critique from anybody outside of myself. As you can imagine, this is a problem since most schools seem to only be interested in seeing 15 or 30 pages. I'm planning on asking some of my professors what they'd recommend I submit, but it's the summer and it may be a while before I get a response. Is there any chance you could skim the stuff?

How many schools should I apply to? I'd prefer to limit myself to NYC/Seattle/San Francisco/Chicago... honestly, at this point, I'm not too sure how important reputation is to me. I think I just need some time to write and interact with other writers and people who can competently edit. Just for example, I imagine (though I'm willing to be told otherwise) I'd rather go to a middling school in NYC than to the University of Houston, which supposedly has a great program, and broil to death in Texas.

Well, anyway, I had a bunch of other questions but you answered some of them and this is already an essay. Thanks a lot
I emptied a bit so you can PM me now if you want.

If you want a place to interact then pick one with a large MFA class, like Emerson, NYU or Columbia. Or one in a city with a big publishing industry (NYC, Boston and maybe SF). Absolutely not a low-residency course because most of those are done by mail.

You do have to pick schools that you'll be happy at. For example, I'm a huge prestige whore to begin with but I didn't apply to Iowa because I honestly could not have lived in a cornfield for 2 years.

Picking a submission is a more difficult question, especially since you've been working hard on everything (usually I would say to just pick your best one, because most people at that stage only have like 1-2 really polished stories). As a rule, if you have a short story that's more than 25 (or heaven forbid more than 30) pages, it's not tight enough and needs cutting. Lit mags won't publish anything longer anyway.

Here are some other things to consider when you're trying to impress MFA Faculty with a story:
- Most MFA programs are ridiculously conservative. Don't send experimental pieces, gimmick pieces, or anything that needs an outside explanation for people to "get".
- No genre. Unless the program is specifically for that (most of those are low-res). They really don't want to read scifi, fantasy, or heaven forbid, fanfic/erotica. It can have some sci-fi elements to it, maybe, if the story is still not dependent on the gadgets/setting. which leads us to
- Character-driven. You hear this a lot and what it means is "your main character has a problem and a desire, and while trying to resolve them, something important changes." Rather than what I see a lot of goons doing in CC: "my character is a cool/interesting misanthrope, let's let him talk about what he thinks about it for pages and pages".

As an aside, Impper, why not work in the financial sector this year? (besides the obvious issue of job availability) MFAs are expensive, and you could definitely use the scratch. But more importantly, part of the program is learning to discipline yourself to write: when you graduate, you're still going to need to support yourself with a day job and write at night. Plus, there's nothing more motivating to make you want to excel at art school than working a poo poo job you hate.

Impper
May 10, 2003

Thanks for the quick reply, Defenestration.

As for a job in the meantime...it's something I've been giving a lot of deep thought. I've been ridiculously bored, and I'm not writing any more than I usually do. Actually, with so much free time recently, I seem to be able to write even less than I normally do, and I'm already a slow writer. My main problem is a sparse resume (instead of working during school/summer, I did silly things like play guitar and write and seriously lift weights) but I should have enough to do something entry level. Well, I'm not here to whine about my life, so yeah :)

As for my writing...I'm not sure how I'd describe it. Definitely not experimental, not 'genre' or gimmicky. I'm pretty beholden to strong narrative, interesting characters, etc. while maintaining strong pacing and a distinctive voice. I'd say my writing is very accessible, and I wouldn't be afraid of sending any of my pieces to an MFA program except for a few things:

1) My piece that gets the best reactions has a good deal of sexual content and uses some foreign words. Is this problematic? I'd think not...but I'm not sure where literary fiction ends and 'erotica' begins when there's explicit sexual content. Runs to 18 pages or so.

2) My personal favorite piece is something of historical fiction (set in revolutionary France with the Marquis de Sade as one of the characters), has strong sexual content, a difficult structure, and runs to 40 pages (11k words). Now, yeah, it would seem that this should disqualify the thing but I feel that, of all my pieces, this is the one that's the strongest when it's excerpted. I understand that you're not the review board for an MFA program, but any opinions/wisdom on excerpts?

3) I don't have any pieces that I feel are particularly strong in the 10-15 page range. I have some shorts that might be decent (but could extend, maybe, into 'experimental') but they're at 3-5. I guess what I'm trying to say is: should I write some stuff that will specifically fit in the range of an MFA writing sample? The problem, obviously, is that these pieces likely won't see a ton of outside editing/opinions. I tend to be a good self editor though.

4) Editing internship/jobs. My workshop professor last semester said I'm one of the best editors he's seen at the university, a number of the workshop members told me I gave the best critiques, and I truly do enjoy editing/proofreading. I love tearing bad stuff apart, I'm pretty good at helping to improve decent-to-good pieces, and I love reading good stuff. How the heck do I get into a job along these lines? I'm relatively good at it, and at this point, I'd be willing to work for free.

The Pimpin Panda
Feb 19, 2008
Hey guys, I'm a junior in high school and am really interested in pursuing graphic design/advertising in college. I've been looking around a lot but find it very hard to find an unbiased report on a school who has a good program for this. I would like to attend a large/state school and have a B average and a 32 ACT. Any help would be really really appreciated.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

The Pimpin Panda posted:

Hey guys, I'm a junior in high school and am really interested in pursuing graphic design/advertising in college. I've been looking around a lot but find it very hard to find an unbiased report on a school who has a good program for this. I would like to attend a large/state school and have a B average and a 32 ACT. Any help would be really really appreciated.

Your best bet is to actually and physically visit the schools, look at and compare facilities, and meet faculty. See who is running the program and what they're experience is. Look at the student work on display. Choose whichever impresses you the most.

Also with your ACT score you should be able to milk scholarships, especially at a state school. Research the gently caress out of incoming freshman scholarships. Make it your job to go to school free. Don't rely on whats available online either, call financial aid offices, department offices, call offices that might not in any way be related to your proposed degree, and ask everyone you can get to listen for help getting scholarships or grants. State schools are awful at making everything public and sometimes you need to (figuratively) beat information out of people.

edit - Oh, you're from Illinois? The best state school will be Northern Illinois University, and the best non-state school will be The Illinois Institute of Art. Then again, I graduated from Northern and am probably biased towards it, but its broadly known for having the best art program out of the state schools. The graphic design program is extremely solid and I could put you in touch with some people who've recently completed pretty much whatever program you're interested in.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 26, 2009

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Mein Eyes! posted:

Also with your ACT score you should be able to milk scholarships, especially at a state school. Research the gently caress out of incoming freshman scholarships. Make it your job to go to school free. Don't rely on whats available online either, call financial aid offices, department offices, call offices that might not in any way be related to your proposed degree, and ask everyone you can get to listen for help getting scholarships or grants. State schools are awful at making everything public and sometimes you need to (figuratively) beat information out of people.
This. Art Students are notoriously lazy, and any if you show any desire at all to take advantage of scholarships and grants and whatnot, the people that manage them will usually leap at the chance to reward who even shows the smallest iota of effort.

In my opinion, it actually takes more effort to fail at art school than to just do your work, so maintaining grades isn't that big of a concern. I was able to make school surprisingly affordable through scholarships, and I'm kicking myself now for not applying for more - it's basically free money.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Mein Eyes! posted:

edit - Oh, you're from Illinois? The best state school will be Northern Illinois University, and the best non-state school will be The Illinois Institute of Art. Then again, I graduated from Northern and am probably biased towards it, but its broadly known for having the best art program out of the state schools. The graphic design program is extremely solid and I could put you in touch with some people who've recently completed pretty much whatever program you're interested in.

I also went to NIU and loved the art department there (graduated art ed). Interestingly, I also had a 32 ACT score, and ended up getting the "University Scholar Scholarship," which pays for all tuition and even your room and board! Basically, every kid I met there with above a 30 ACT and 3.5 GPA had at least a full tuition scholarship. They especially like it if you come from a working class to low income background, so milk it if you've got it!

The Pimpin Panda
Feb 19, 2008

Mein Eyes! posted:

Your best bet is to actually and physically visit the schools, look at and compare facilities, and meet faculty. See who is running the program and what they're experience is. Look at the student work on display. Choose whichever impresses you the most.

Thanks so much for the advice everybody. To clarify, the reason I was asking here instead of waiting to look around is because I have to send a National Merit Scholarship thing to a couple schools soon and don't have enough time to check anywhere out. And NIU sounds great, I'll definitely look into it further and go and visit.

If anyone else has other suggestions I'd really appreciate them, the reason I want a big school is that I love sports and the whole college experience and want to have other opportunities if I decide graphic design isn't for me. Thanks a lot! Oh, and sorry if I didn't make this clear, I just meant state schools in general, not state schools in Illinois.

The Pimpin Panda fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 27, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Thas never been a problem before with contract work, but is there any chance a game or film company is going to piss test me for a full time junior artist type position?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

etard knievel posted:

Thas never been a problem before with contract work, but is there any chance a game or film company is going to piss test me for a full time junior artist type position?
Any job can test you as part of a screening process. As to whether it's likely, probably not. Just in case it's not terribly hard to lay off weed for a few days, is it?

Redminty
Nov 9, 2005
I want to apply for "special student status" in University of Maryland in order to do some post-bac work. Apparently, to do this, I'm supposed to find a faculty member I want to work with, write to them and basically try to convince them to work with me. I want to do this, but am also kind of freaking out, I have no idea how to write such a letter. Does anyone have any experience with this-any advice?

Edit: Nevermind. Did it, it was good. Woo.

Redminty fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 7, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Well I'm 2 quarters out from being done with my associates at ITT in Visual Communications. I've worked very hard at developing a decent portfolio and am one of the top two students in our program. I've also been lucky enough to have very good instructors who know their poo poo. I figure there is probably someone out there who interested in ITT so I'll just post my observations about the school here in St. Louis.

Before going to ITT I know I had heard bad things from people about it. The vast majority of my classmates are lazy and do very lovely work that they couldn't care less about. Many don't even show up to class and when they do, they do the bare minimum to scrape by while hardly applying themselves to learn the programs (photoshop, after effects, MAX, illustrator, exc..). From what I've seen I'm guessing these are going to be people that say they were ripped off and can't get a job. I find myself happy with what I've learned, but I've really worked hard to try and do the best I can in the classes. A couple other classmates who actually apply themselves do really good work too. So yeah I guess what I'm trying to say is you get back what you put in to it. Seems most of my classmates put 0 percent into it.

There is my rant!

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Well I'm 2 quarters out from being done with my associates at ITT in Visual Communications. I've worked very hard at developing a decent portfolio and am one of the top two students in our program. I've also been lucky enough to have very good instructors who know their poo poo. I figure there is probably someone out there who interested in ITT so I'll just post my observations about the school here in St. Louis.

Before going to ITT I know I had heard bad things from people about it. The vast majority of my classmates are lazy and do very lovely work that they couldn't care less about. Many don't even show up to class and when they do, they do the bare minimum to scrape by while hardly applying themselves to learn the programs (photoshop, after effects, MAX, illustrator, exc..). From what I've seen I'm guessing these are going to be people that say they were ripped off and can't get a job. I find myself happy with what I've learned, but I've really worked hard to try and do the best I can in the classes. A couple other classmates who actually apply themselves do really good work too. So yeah I guess what I'm trying to say is you get back what you put in to it. Seems most of my classmates put 0 percent into it.

There is my rant!

I get the feeling that this will happen, with the same ratio of students who care/apply themselves to those who don't, no matter where you go. Better schools attract more smarter or more talented people, but not always more motivated people. For those of you planning to go to study art in college, really the only important factors for undergraduate education are faculty and resources (studios, labs, industry connections, etc).

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Everyone hates their course, everyone hates their college, everyone hates their slacker classmates; the grass probably isn't greener on the other side.

Astian
Jun 16, 2001

Defenestration posted:

My BA was in English at a SUNY school. But it doesn't matter what you did; so long as you write well they'll take you.
When I get out, I am going to get a publishing job and start shopping my thesis novel around.

I don't really know how hard it was to get in. I like to think it was pretty drat selective. 95% of your application is the writing sample. You could have a recommendation from the Pope and they still wouldn't let you in if your pieces weren't good. I applied to 2 MFAs, Emerson and Columbia, which are both big classes (Emerson at 40 or so and Columbia takes 70). Compare that to a place like Johns Hopkins, which takes less than 5 fiction writers A YEAR. Emerson took me, Columbia didn't.

Now that I'm here, I love Emerson. I love that it's all about writing. That was my biggest problem with undergrad, that we didn't get to work on our own fiction. Ain't no problem with that anymore. It's also so amazing that now I have all these friends who care about writing the same way I do. Who want to sit around and talk about it, and share their work, and take and give honest critique.

The best school is The University of Iowa. This is undisputed. Extremely selective to get in, extremely good writers coming out. I don't know why (though I have a theory). After that the next group is Johns Hopkins, Columbia, NYU, UVA and UC-Irvine. I firmly believe that if you can't get in to a good school, you shouldn't get your MFA. It's not a practical degree, so reputation counts for so much. Emerson is top 20, though US News hasn't ranked MFAs in years, and outside of the top 6 or so it varies widely list to list.

How is the funding situation at Emerson? Do you have a TA position? If not, is it because you don't want one or because they are in high demand?

I decided recently that the only way I would do an MFA program is if I were able to get through it without going into debt. From what I've read this is definitely possible if you get a good package+TAship. If you have any insight into the funding end at Emerson or other schools, I'd love to hear it.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Astian posted:

How is the funding situation at Emerson? Do you have a TA position? If not, is it because you don't want one or because they are in high demand?

I decided recently that the only way I would do an MFA program is if I were able to get through it without going into debt. From what I've read this is definitely possible if you get a good package+TAship. If you have any insight into the funding end at Emerson or other schools, I'd love to hear it.
Funding: If you want a free-ride, you'll need to get in to a tiny program that gives them automatically, like Johns Hopkins. Or be so exceedingly good that you get one of the say 1-2 full rides a year at a bigger school. It's available, but realistically, most MFAs will put you in some debt. But debt in itself is not a bad thing, so long as you're in the program for the right reasons, and make sure you set yourself up to have gainful employment once you're out (or during)

Teaching: Is usually not like in PhD programs, where it's required and part of your tuition. Some will do tuition remission, but it won't be a stipulation of everyone entering the program. At Emerson the teaching program is a separate adjunct position that you have to apply for after taking the pedagogy class. Roughly 1/3 of people who apply get the job. I have my own section of freshman comp: I write my own syllabus, I grade my own assignments. It is way better than being a TA and a lot more work.

Me: I got an assistantship which covered roughly half my tuition per semester, where I worked in the writing center to earn it. This might have been either due to my previous experience in my undergrad WC, or my GRE verbal scores (learn those words!). Other people got similar deals to work the front desk of the department, or be "research assistants" for professors, or intern at the bigtime lit mag that's attached to the school (not the graduate-run one)

shudder
Mar 16, 2006
Just kind of curious if anyone is aware of any job postings in the Chicagoland area for any type of photography/assistant job?

Or if not any nice sites for photography jobs?

gently caress, craigslist.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

I'm considering trying to get a Fulbright Scholarship or similar program to get my MFA in Europe, I guess I'd be most interested in France, Belgium, Germany or The Netherlands but I'd be open to other countries as well. What are some good art schools that offer master's programs in those countries (particularly in commercial art or illustration)? And if any of you guys have been in a postgrad exchange to europe and wouldn't mind telling me a little bit about your experiences and what kind of resources there are, please contact me via PM or email, thanks :)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

etard knievel posted:

I'm considering trying to get a Fulbright Scholarship or similar program to get my MFA in Europe, I guess I'd be most interested in France, Belgium, Germany or The Netherlands but I'd be open to other countries as well. What are some good art schools that offer master's programs in those countries (particularly in commercial art or illustration)? And if any of you guys have been in a postgrad exchange to europe and wouldn't mind telling me a little bit about your experiences and what kind of resources there are, please contact me via PM or email, thanks :)

I'd be interested as well, except I'm wanting to go to the UK.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'd be interested as well, except I'm wanting to go to the UK.

I don't know about scholarships but Ravensbourne and Central St. Martins are well-regarded for design and art, or if you're still thinking of advertising, Watford and Bucks are considered the best.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

marshmallard posted:

I don't know about scholarships but Ravensbourne and Central St. Martins are well-regarded for design and art, or if you're still thinking of advertising, Watford and Bucks are considered the best.

Know any for broadcast design/motion graphics?

I see myself heading into that area.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Know any for broadcast design/motion graphics?

I see myself heading into that area.

Are you after undergraduate or post-grad?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

marshmallard posted:

Are you after undergraduate or post-grad?

I will be a post-grad.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.
My company is looking for an amazing website designer. This is for a paid full time position.

What we need
You are an incredibly talented designer with advanced photoshop skills that can build designs for every page of a website, including mock-ups for advanced features.

We need someone who has at least 3-4 years experience with a portfolio and a resume to back it up.

Knowledge of Flash/ASP.NET/C# a plus, knowledge of HTML/CSS is mandatory though you wouldn't often take part in the coding.

I'm open to designers anywhere in the world, but fluent English is required (Reading and writing). The position can start remotely, but we would like to relocate someone to our offices here if everything works out. (Yay, living in Europe!)

Who we are
We're a small but successful design company based in Eastern Europe. We are a young and energetic team that works extremely well together in a very casual office which ends the day with alcohol more days then not.

We're currently gaining more success then our current team can handle and are expanding again to suit our needs.

Contact me for more details about location, the job and the company. You can PM me or e-mail at jackhudson2012 at gmail dot com, include link to portfolio, resume, images, naked pictures of your girlfriends or boyfriends yourself, your favorite color, and anything else that might help.

I'm starting with you guys because finding qualified people where we are has become impossible.

Although it doesn't belong here, contact me if you're an extremely good flash developer for routine work (not full time though), or an ASP.NET developer (Full time, same as design job).

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Just want to post my appreciation for the loving awesome resume layout. I've directed friends to it for a long time now, and they've always had good feedback, but it might have just gotten me a job teaching college courses. I contacted my old college adviser to ask if they were in need of any adjuncts, and she said there were two ahead of me, but to send my resume to her, so she'll have it on file for in the future. Did so, and this is the message she sent me today:

quote:

Jon,

Nice resume. I love the format. If the opportunity arose, and that's a big If, could you teach a composition class on line?

It's a small gig, and of course not guaranteed, but it's what I want to do in life, and I haven't even finished my Master's yet, so it's a great start. gently caress, I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

unprofessional posted:

Just want to post my appreciation for the loving awesome resume layout.

I want to echo this. That layout might've landed me a corporate communications gig cranking out pamphlets for my hospital. (Worked there for years in a menial capacity--long enough for me to get pissed off whenever anyone talks smack about it--so it's mine.) Nothing in concrete yet, but I've got a meeting with the department head in July.

That layout is really impressive stuff.