Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Something I've been wondering about, do the 20 levels of sorcerer stack with V's and the other soul's wizard levels? Seems to me it wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

tripwood posted:

Something I've been wondering about, do the 20 levels of sorcerer stack with V's and the other soul's wizard levels? Seems to me it wouldn't.

I'm pretty sure they do, given how his disjunction effortlessly broke the dragon's anti-magic field, and that's only a 1% chance per caster level.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I get the feeling at a tarrasque is too obvious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well if it ends up being something like a Gargantuan Ethereal Filcher or whatever we'll all feel kinda cheated.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Paragon kobold! :haw:

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

DoctorTristan posted:

I'm pretty sure they do, given how his disjunction effortlessly broke the dragon's anti-magic field, and that's only a 1% chance per caster level.

If the caster level check succeeded it would break through just as effortlessly at 25%-30% as at 90%. If V was in the 50s or 60s level-wise she'd be solo-ing deities and the Snarl, not Xykon. If archfiends could make something like that they would have used it for other projects. At most (beyond high level epic spellcasting), I'd say that V has an inflated caster level from the meld. And more likely Burlew ignored the probability for dramatic effect.

And I'm also leaning towards young tarrasque. They had an entire planet of them in Spelljammer, after all. :)

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Ashenai posted:

Paragon kobold! :haw:

Pun-Pun . . . nooooooooo!

e:

Donraj posted:

And I'm also leaning towards young tarrasque. They had an entire planet of them in Spelljammer, after all. :)

Yeah, but Spelljammer also had gnomes flying space-hamster-powered spaceships and fighting space duels in space with space-illithids and space-beholders.

What I'm saying is Spelljammer was awesome. :)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Donraj posted:

If archfiends could make something like that they would have used it for other projects.

V is their proof of concept or prototype.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

You know, if you look at that Go board, O'Chul is in a terrible position. Granted, that....mess of black stones means the Monster is still learning, but the false eye on the left there could be taken easily with the sacrifice of 3 stones, netting the Monster 5 white stones and leading into an attack back to the center.

Or O'Chul is just teaching him.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Arctic Baldwin posted:

I get the feeling at a tarrasque is too obvious.

Young Reptillian Gargantua?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Pope Guilty posted:

V is their proof of concept or prototype.
That's what they say, of course, though I expect that's mostly a crock in order to have a plot device later in the story.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Half-Terrasque Elf?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

sansuki posted:

You know, if you look at that Go board, O'Chul is in a terrible position. Granted, that....mess of black stones means the Monster is still learning, but the false eye on the left there could be taken easily with the sacrifice of 3 stones, netting the Monster 5 white stones and leading into an attack back to the center.

Or O'Chul is just teaching him.

He's teaching him, that's pretty obvious. He started a while back, I don't remember which strip though. He's obviously trying to make a point and was waiting for the right opportunity where he could mix it in with a game the monster seems to enjoy. O'Chul appears to be a decent paladin, trying to turn the creature good using the resources at his disposal.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Donraj posted:

If V was in the 50s or 60s level-wise she'd be solo-ing deities and the Snarl, not Xykon.
That's a point I hadn't considered, and I'm guessing V won't think about it either. With that many caster levels it might be possible to at least investigate the Snarl in ways that haven't been done before. Let's hope somebody brings this up after he releases the souls (if in fact he ever does).

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.

Donraj posted:

If V was in the 50s or 60s level-wise she'd be solo-ing deities and the Snarl, not Xykon. If archfiends could make something like that they would have used it for other projects.

It's also important to note that, so far, V has had a short list of things to do with her immense power: save her family and protect them forever, reunite the gang, destroy Xykon. And she's done two of those so far. I don't think she really wants to go off battling gods or what have you since the whole reason she left in the first place was for the power she could get to help out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Rennej posted:

It's also important to note that, so far, V has had a short list of things to do with her immense power: save her family and protect them forever, reunite the gang, destroy Xykon. And she's done two of those so far. I don't think she really wants to go off battling gods or what have you since the whole reason she left in the first place was for the power she could get to help out.

She saved her family, sure. But she had nothing to do with getting the group back together.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.

Lord Commissar posted:

She saved her family, sure. But she had nothing to do with getting the group back together.

Didn't say that she did, just that that was on her list of things to do.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
There's more to soloing deities than being level 60. V may have a caster level of roughly 60, but remember that almost every spell is level capped in some way or other, so the majority of that power isn't used on a spell to spell basis. Plus, V's stats aren't boosted as if she had gained all those +int at level 4s, and isn't wearing level epic setting appropriate equipment, and has a small number of epic spells suitable for much lower level spell casters than the total gestalt. Plus, she only has one caster worth of actions, and she's burned through a lot of her high level spells already. How many epic spells can a caster cast a day? I forget the formulae, but I'm pretty sure it's not many.

Xykon and crew are going to absolutely light her up.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Are we sure that this is going to be a fight? Xykon might just think she's one of the bad guys and at least try and talk her into joining him.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Glass of Milk posted:

Are we sure that this is going to be a fight? Xykon might just think she's one of the bad guys and at least try and talk her into joining him.

Enter the archfiends taking their part of the contract, followed by some sort of magic that requires the target to be willing that makes them somehow subservient.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Mystic Mongol posted:

There's more to soloing deities than being level 60. V may have a caster level of roughly 60, but remember that almost every spell is level capped in some way or other, so the majority of that power isn't used on a spell to spell basis. Plus, V's stats aren't boosted as if she had gained all those +int at level 4s, and isn't wearing level epic setting appropriate equipment, and has a small number of epic spells suitable for much lower level spell casters than the total gestalt. Plus, she only has one caster worth of actions, and she's burned through a lot of her high level spells already. How many epic spells can a caster cast a day? I forget the formulae, but I'm pretty sure it's not many.

Xykon and crew are going to absolutely light her up.

All she needs is one or two level 8 spells, and three or four level 6 spells, and she can effectively destroy Xykon and kill Red Cloak, in one round if one of the level 8 spells is timestop. At high levels casters are brokenly better than anything else, and if a wizard wins initiative or gets a surprise round, its over.

Not to mention if Xykon casts against her, she can counterspell it with ease.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Red_Mage posted:

All she needs is one or two level 8 spells, and three or four level 6 spells, and she can effectively destroy Xykon and kill Red Cloak, in one round if one of the level 8 spells is timestop. At high levels casters are brokenly better than anything else, and if a wizard wins initiative or gets a surprise round, its over.

Epic combat: Whoever goes first, wins.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Red_Mage posted:

Isn't Time Stop a level 9 spell though?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

LightWarden posted:

Isn't Time Stop a level 9 spell though?

That it is.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'll admit I'd be entertained if V just blows Xykon up and that's the strip. Burlew retires to obscurity and we're all standing around, mouths hanging open.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
I think there is a very good chance that V will drop Xykon very quickly. Unfortunately for V, she is relying on a soul bind using the souls of dead evil casters, Red Cloak is a cleric and a cleric specializing in the care and keeping of undead casters at that. My prediction is that V drops Xykon, but is repelled by Red Cloak who protects the Phylactery, V burns whats left to dip the gently caress out.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

At V's level, he should know about a lich's phylactery, but, back when the team defeated Xykon before, they all seemed to believe they had truly defeated him. You'd think V would have at least spoken up and said "by the way, liches have phylacteries you gotta destroy to end them for good." Might be an easy out in this coming fight. V wins, but still doesn't know defeat Redcloak too, allowing Xykon to return yet again.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Anyone want to refresh my memory? Did they ever get his phylactery? Do we know what it is or was it kept secret/hinted at? I honestly don't remember.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

The phylactery is Redcloak's holy symbol. Redcloak managed to escape when Xykon was first destroyed, so Xykon could regenerate mostly unharassed.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Vanadium posted:

The phylactery is Redcloak's holy symbol. Redcloak managed to escape when Xykon was first destroyed, so Xykon could regenerate mostly unharassed.

Oh god now I remember. You would think that would be a terrible place to put it (on a lackey that might betray you someday) but whatever. I remember reading up on one of the wizards boards they worked out the mechanics to teleport to a mountain, create a room inside it, dump the phylactery, cast screen and all that divination blocking stuff, then have a Psion wipe your memory for the last day so that even the lich didn't know where his own phylactery is.

I need to go to bed.

Altamir
Aug 8, 2007
It's all my fault!

Seftir posted:

Oh god now I remember. You would think that would be a terrible place to put it (on a lackey that might betray you someday) but whatever.

This is explained, it horrible horrible detail, of why Redcloak can be trusted in "Start of Darkness". Perhaps the best writing this comic has ever seen is on the pages explaining why Redcloak will have his back.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mylan posted:

At V's level, he should know about a lich's phylactery, but, back when the team defeated Xykon before, they all seemed to believe they had truly defeated him. You'd think V would have at least spoken up and said "by the way, liches have phylacteries you gotta destroy to end them for good." Might be an easy out in this coming fight. V wins, but still doesn't know defeat Redcloak too, allowing Xykon to return yet again.
Hey, if he has no ranks in Knowledge (religion)...

(Just bulshitting)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Actually I'm pretty sure V's an invoker. Wasn't Necromancy one of the two opposed schools (the other being Transmutation or whatever Teleport was) back in 2nd edition? V says something about "hey sorry Teleport was a banned spell when I started out and I haven't gotten around to picking it up yet" at some point. Necromancy being a banned school would explain being unusually ignorant of the care and feeding of magical undead.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

bartolimu posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure V's an invoker. Wasn't Necromancy one of the two opposed schools (the other being Transmutation or whatever Teleport was) back in 2nd edition? V says something about "hey sorry Teleport was a banned spell when I started out and I haven't gotten around to picking it up yet" at some point. Necromancy being a banned school would explain being unusually ignorant of the care and feeding of magical undead.

V's forbidden school is Conjuration but teleport used to be in transmutation before being switched over to the conjuration school. So V got hosed.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Seftir posted:

Oh god now I remember. You would think that would be a terrible place to put it (on a lackey that might betray you someday) but whatever.

If you get a chance, buy and read Start of Darkness. It pretty clearly documented how Xykon has Redcloak's loyalty forever, no matter how bad things get for him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bartolimu posted:

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that 2nd ed has nothing to do with OotS. They started as 3.0 characters, then there was the switch to 3.5.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Mystic Mongol posted:

There's more to soloing deities than being level 60. V may have a caster level of roughly 60, but remember that almost every spell is level capped in some way or other, so the majority of that power isn't used on a spell to spell basis. Plus, V's stats aren't boosted as if she had gained all those +int at level 4s, and isn't wearing level epic setting appropriate equipment, and has a small number of epic spells suitable for much lower level spell casters than the total gestalt.

This is the best counter-argument I've heard, I have to admit.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
New Strip.

V is doomed.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I really wish Burlew wouldn't save his strips in jpg gif. It makes the text blurry and hard to read.

e: vvv that. Either way...

Brannock fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

But they are gif