Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ferrinus posted:

Obrimos 1: I saw a vampire today.
Obrimos 2: Disgusting creatures.

Vampire 1: I saw an ObriFWOOSH
Obrimos 1: :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Dammit Who? posted:

Mastigos: Seen any... changelings? Ahahahaha!

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma

Ferrinus posted:

Obrimos 1: I saw a vampire today.
Obrimos 2: Disgusting creatures.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

a man of ill repute posted:

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma

Attorney at Funk posted:

ferrinus can me and tombheart make a promethean out of the soul of socharis's dead girlfriend and a body stitched together out of fat gay dead dudes

i have darker plans for her

Goatstein
Dec 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

owod werewolf: choose one of 13 stereotypes and play it
nwod werewolf: choose one of 1 stereotype and play it, or else you are Bad At Being A Werewolf (the second stereotype, not unlockable at character creation

yeah but at least 10 of those owod stereotypes were 100% retarded

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
CBN is being unfair, Harmony is dumb but it's not really that invasive

at levels 7->5/4ish, which is what most play will take place at, it pretty much forbids the usual stuff (except for the thing where if you reveal the truth of the werewolf condition to a human you actually lose spiritual power and go insane)

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

reading the grimoire book and supplements, in the mage world, orders vehemently protect their particular rotes, and i can't seem to wrap my head around that, i'm just like "what's the big deal, i buy them for 2 xp a dot, i don't even have to buy them dot by dot like everything else, what the gently caress is with you"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
If you don't jealously hoard arcane secrets then Get The gently caress Out

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

reading the grimoire book and supplements, in the mage world, orders vehemently protect their particular rotes, and i can't seem to wrap my head around that, i'm just like "what's the big deal, i buy them for 2 xp a dot, i don't even have to buy them dot by dot like everything else, what the gently caress is with you"

clearly ferrinus should make buying rotes much more expensive/difficult

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

no i'm just saying that sometimes the Mystical Import of the world doesn't always come across in the game is all

oh god don't make rotes expensive ferrinus

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

no i'm just saying that sometimes the Mystical Import of the world doesn't always come across in the game is all

oh god don't make rotes expensive ferrinus

so you're saying ferrinus is a bad ST

mods. mods can we get a ban on htis chucklefuck

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dammit Who? posted:

so you're saying ferrinus is a bad ST

mods. mods can we get a ban on htis chucklefuck

with my last breath i curse dammmitttwhhhoooooooo

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

with mind 4 i now have the ability to send my mind into twilight as a projection while my body remains comatose, what spells would i need to use so i can manipulate and sense material objects while i'm ghosting it up

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

with mind 4 i now have the ability to send my mind into twilight as a projection while my body remains comatose, what spells would i need to use so i can manipulate and sense material objects while i'm ghosting it up

you'd be able to use your senses normally but not manipulate anything

i'm pretty sure you'd still be able to cast magic to some degree too but i may be wrong

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

you'd be able to use your senses normally but not manipulate anything

i'm pretty sure you'd still be able to cast magic to some degree too but i may be wrong

what magic could i use to, say, grab stuff though, could i cast any death spells upon myself to alter my twilight form or would i basically have to learn forces to manipulate real world things

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

what magic could i use to, say, grab stuff though, could i cast any death spells upon myself to alter my twilight form or would i basically have to learn forces to manipulate real world things

i think it'd be forces. you don't actually have a twilight form when you use Mind to project yourself, you're just a mind. i think you're intangible even to other twilight poo poo like ghosts, although i'm not looking at thebook atm

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

i think it'd be forces. you don't actually have a twilight form when you use Mind to project yourself, you're just a mind. i think you're intangible even to other twilight poo poo like ghosts, although i'm not looking at thebook atm

This mental form has no Corpus or ephemeral body, just an intangible, semi-transparent mage that can be affected only by mind-affecting powers. Likewise, the mentally projecting mage cannot affect creatures or things physically except through magic.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

nuts to that i'll just buy some fuckin' Numina rotes

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

This mental form has no Corpus or ephemeral body, just an intangible, semi-transparent mage that can be affected only by mind-affecting powers. Likewise, the mentally projecting mage cannot affect creatures or things physically except through magic.

i think i might require that sensory range be measured from your physical body because just being able to turn into a mind and then gently caress people up w/ magic while they can't do poo poo about it is kind of crazy

(i.e. you'd need to do everything as a Sympathetic spell. the immediate presence of your mind means you've got an automatic Intimate connection though)

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
can we buy some skills

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

yeah go for it

incidentally there's an excellent chance i won't be able to run this week i'm busy as heck :kiddo:

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

yeah go for it

incidentally there's an excellent chance i won't be able to run this week i'm busy as heck :kiddo:

thats cool m8

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

branigan is still alive apparently

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

ferrinus what is your opinion on the Disarm merit

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
whats that

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

a man of ill repute posted:

whats that

read the wod corebook \___

if you are using a weapon and your damage exceeds your opponent's dexterity you can choose to knock their weapon out of their hand and send it flying (no. successes) yards.

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
that sounds silly

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

that merit blows because you can't take away his weapons.

both of them.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

that merit blows because you can't take away his weapons.

both of them.

in your case i'd just have to kick one weapon out of each of your hands

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I have to two-hand

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

I have to two-hand

one hand to aim the other to hold the magnifying glass

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

disarm is something you deliberately attempt rather than a free bonus effect you get per hit, isn't it? i don't remember it looking bad..

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

disarm is something you deliberately attempt rather than a free bonus effect you get per hit, isn't it? i don't remember it looking bad..

Disarm (**)
Prerequisite: Dexterity *** and Weaponry **
Effect: Your character has refined his Weaponry Skill
to the extent that he can use a weapon to disarm opponents
in close combat. When making a normal attack,
compare your successes to the opponent's Dexterity. If you
get a number of successes equal to or greater than the
opponent's Dexterity, you can choose to have your character
disarm him instead of doing damage. A weapon lands
a number of yards away from the opponent equal to your
successes rolled.
Disarming is a different activity than specifically attacking
or breaking weapons or items carried by opponents.
See 'Equipment' (p. 139) for rules on doing that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

looks okay to me

obviously if it causes huge problems i might change it + offer a refund but i wouldn't expect it to. mind you that specifies Weaponry, not Brawl attacks

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

looks okay to me

obviously if it causes huge problems i might change it + offer a refund but i wouldn't expect it to. mind you that specifies Weaponry, not Brawl attacks

to be fair it's not for mage, i was just curious about your opinion on it in general

i was just wondering if it was one of those merits like fresh start that sounds okay in the book and is completely useless in practice

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

to be fair it's not for mage, i was just curious about your opinion on it in general

i was just wondering if it was one of those merits like fresh start that sounds okay in the book and is completely useless in practice

keep in mind: you attack them, and disarm, inflicting no damage

on their action, they pick up their weapon, inflicting no damage

one on one it's basically a delay tactic although of course if you have friends with you rock on

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

can you use that with a multiattacking merit

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

can you use that with a multiattacking merit

nothing stops you besides DMs who are smarter than gul banana

yeah that's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

so you should be safe then