Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theseus
Jan 15, 2008

All I know is if there is a God, he's laughin' his ass off.
I've been toying with replacing the Windows Vista installation on my laptop with Fedora 10, but my past experiences with Linux and wireless networking have stopped me. One of the networks I need to be able to connect to is WPA-Personal network with TKIP and a hidden SSID, but I was unable to get a (very old) desktop with Slackware installed to connect to it. After days of fiddling the best I was able to do was to get it to see the access point. So my question is this: Is this a common issue, is there a way around these problems as a network user (not administrator), and if so, how would I go about implementing it on a Fedora box? This is currently the only thing standing in the way of replacing Vista. I need to be able to connect to a WPA-Enterprise network using TKIP as well. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1520.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
I'm working on the latest version of Ubuntu. Does anyone have a guaranteed to work method of mounting CIFS shares? All the instructions I find involve editing /etc/fstab, which seems to be un-editable on my system (or something)

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Theseus posted:

I've been toying with replacing the Windows Vista installation on my laptop with Fedora 10, but my past experiences with Linux and wireless networking have stopped me. One of the networks I need to be able to connect to is WPA-Personal network with TKIP and a hidden SSID, but I was unable to get a (very old) desktop with Slackware installed to connect to it. After days of fiddling the best I was able to do was to get it to see the access point. So my question is this: Is this a common issue, is there a way around these problems as a network user (not administrator), and if so, how would I go about implementing it on a Fedora box? This is currently the only thing standing in the way of replacing Vista. I need to be able to connect to a WPA-Enterprise network using TKIP as well. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1520.

Why don't you boot up the newest Fedora or Ubuntu live CD and see if everything works. It's probably the easiest way to find out.

Doc Faustus posted:

I'm working on the latest version of Ubuntu. Does anyone have a guaranteed to work method of mounting CIFS shares? All the instructions I find involve editing /etc/fstab, which seems to be un-editable on my system (or something)

You have to be root to edit fstab. You can use Nautilus to connect to CIFS shares, but I don't remember if they look like a filesystem to non-gnome applications.

yippee cahier fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 5, 2009

Theseus
Jan 15, 2008

sund posted:

Why don't you boot up the newest Fedora or Ubuntu live CD and see if everything works. It's probably the easiest way to find out.

So I'm a moron and didn't think of this. Thanks.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Does anyone have experience with setting up Dovecot+Postfix?

I am able to access Dovecot via IMAP now, but after changing from Mailbox to Maildir format, Dovecot doesn't seem to be able to pick up mails anymore that have been

a) created locally by mutt / mail
b) picked up by Postfix (SMTP)

I'm kinda stumped as to which logfiles to look in / how this MTA/LDA stuff really works.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

sund posted:

You have to be root to edit fstab. You can use Nautilus to connect to CIFS shares, but I don't remember if they look like a filesystem to non-gnome applications.
I don't think they are usable by any non-Gnome apps, actually, unless they support the Gnome Virtual Filesystem. (gvfs)

Theseus
Jan 15, 2008

Theseus posted:

So I'm a moron and didn't think of this. Thanks.

So I booted from the Live CD and as I suspected I can't quite figure out how to access the wireless. I can get a wired connection with no problems whatsoever. I've posted a thread in the Haus if anyone can help.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3130751

Theseus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 5, 2009

Dec 10, 2004

lol custom title more like custom DICKS

LiquidRain posted:

I don't think they are usable by any non-Gnome apps, actually, unless they support the Gnome Virtual Filesystem. (gvfs)

Modern gnome mounts its mediated filesystem connections in ~/.gvfs using FUSE.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

kyuss posted:

Does anyone have experience with setting up Dovecot+Postfix?

I am able to access Dovecot via IMAP now, but after changing from Mailbox to Maildir format, Dovecot doesn't seem to be able to pick up mails anymore that have been

a) created locally by mutt / mail
b) picked up by Postfix (SMTP)

I'm kinda stumped as to which logfiles to look in / how this MTA/LDA stuff really works.
I admin a few boxes with many thousands of email accounts running postfix/dovecot. In my opinion there's not a better combination to go with. You probably need to adjust your mail_location in dovecot.conf to tell it where your maildir lives relative to your user's homedir. It's incredibly flexible and it can be placed just about anywhere, including not under your user's home dir at all. Perhaps the most reasonable place for it for you is wherever mutt thinks it should be.

I would also highly recommend using dovecot's LDA for postfix mailbox delivery. This will generally keep things simpler and will let you use sieve for filtering/vacation replies/etc.

* http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix
* http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Is the a jabber server that doesn't suck balls like ejabberd? Ideally, it'd authenticate against LDAP and support SSL, but if it can't than that's fine.

But seriously, gently caress ejabberd and the language it's scripted in.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

TheHeadSage posted:

Is the a jabber server that doesn't suck balls like ejabberd? Ideally, it'd authenticate against LDAP and support SSL, but if it can't than that's fine.

But seriously, gently caress ejabberd and the language it's scripted in.

OpenFire is pretty easy to set up, has an option to auth with LDAP, and supports SSL.
Its written in Java though, if that scares you. I was going to try another server but once I played around with the web admin interface I kinda liked it and was easily able to add AIM/ICQ transports and other features through plugins.

There was a thread somewhere specifically about this, but I couldn't seem to find it.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

JHVH-1 posted:

OpenFire is pretty easy to set up, has an option to auth with LDAP, and supports SSL.
Its written in Java though, if that scares you. I was going to try another server but once I played around with the web admin interface I kinda liked it and was easily able to add AIM/ICQ transports and other features through plugins.

There was a thread somewhere specifically about this, but I couldn't seem to find it.

OpenFire was just what I needed. 5 minutes to setup and now the office can start discussing random poo poo through jabber instead of over my desk and the Asterisk plugin just seals the deal.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 13, 2017

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Crossposting from the Ubuntu Thread.

I have root access over SSH to an ubuntu box. Any of you guys know links which have braindead simple instructions for setting up a VNC server with a full gui (looking for something like RDP, except for linux) over the command prompt?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GregNorc posted:

Is there a way to force Fedora to install the latest kernel?

yum update kernel just got me 2.6.27 and I need the wifi features added in 2.6.29 for a project.

I haven't used Fedora in a while (years) but I'd assume that the only updated kernel you'll be getting for your Fedora version is whatever kernel it shipped with. Typically if you want to get a different kernel on your distro you'll want to either compile yourself, or find somebody who provides an RPM package.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 13, 2017

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Theseus posted:

So I booted from the Live CD and as I suspected I can't quite figure out how to access the wireless. I can get a wired connection with no problems whatsoever. I've posted a thread in the Haus if anyone can help.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3130751

What type of wireless card are you using? I have a Dell D820 at work and run Fedora 10. It has a Dell wireless card that doesn't work at all with the stock drivers. None of the Dells I have work well with the stock Broadcom drivers. I have to load up NDISWrapper, which is pretty easy. On the other hand, my personal Sony laptop has and Intel wireless card which works flawlessly with a stock Ubuntu or Fedora install.

You should be able to install NDISWrapper in a Live CD, but it won't stick between reboots. Google and NDISWrapper HOWTO for more information.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

falz posted:

You probably need to adjust your mail_location in dovecot.conf to tell it where your maildir lives relative to your user's homedir. It's incredibly flexible and it can be placed just about anywhere, including not under your user's home dir at all. Perhaps the most reasonable place for it for you is wherever mutt thinks it should be.

I'll try that, thanks!

quote:

I would also highly recommend using dovecot's LDA for postfix mailbox delivery. This will generally keep things simpler and will let you use sieve for filtering/vacation replies/etc.

That's my intention too. I think my problem is that I cobbled several installation Howtos for postfix / dovecot / deliver together, resulting in an inconsistent install.

Postal posted:

You should be able to install NDISWrapper in a Live CD, but it won't stick between reboots. Google and NDISWrapper HOWTO for more information.

There's sufficient info on creating your own custom Ubuntu Live CD on the web. I tried this last year and it was a breeze.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
GregNorc, you could try to get the kernel from the testing or rawhide repos. They're getting close to releasing leonidas anyway, so it should be stable.

That said, be careful.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

GregNorc posted:

One last question, since a quick google is turning up nothing: How do I add those repos to yum? I've only used debian up til this point.
Depends. I take it you're not running with a gui.

Apparently, you're supposed to run
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide update

If you want to have daily updates from rawhide, you need to edit every repo-file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and set enable= to 0 on the repos you don't want (Everything but rawhide) or just run that command every time you want a new snapshot of rawhide.

I'm guess you could just run
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide update kernel
to only update the kernel, though there might be conflicts with other packages.

Good luck. :)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

GregNorc posted:

I downloaded the source from http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/ but get this error:

code:
make: cc: Command not found
make: *** [hostapd.o] Error 127
Any help is greatly appreciated!

make isn't finding a C compiler; I assume Red Hat has a 'gcc' package you'll want to install.

If you still want to try installing from the package you could describe the problems you're having and someone more familiar with Red Hat than myself may be able to help you out.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

kyuss posted:

There's sufficient info on creating your own custom Ubuntu Live CD on the web. I tried this last year and it was a breeze.

You want remastersys.

1) Install Ubuntu
2) Configure NDISWrapper + your wireless card.
3) Run remastersys to create a bootable version of your live system
4) Burn ISO
5) Praise its simplicity

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

falz
Jan 29, 2005

kyuss posted:

That's my intention too. I think my problem is that I cobbled several installation Howtos for postfix / dovecot / deliver together, resulting in an inconsistent install.
The best docs for dovecot related stuff is their own wiki, in my opinion.

diafoirus
Mar 25, 2009

Epikhigh posted:

What would be the best Linux OS to use with an older computer with these specs:
62MB of RAM
10GB Harddrive
1.something Processor

I found it in my attic and want to throw an OS on it that isn't Windows 95 :/

Any help would be nice :)

Well you have many choice :

Slax : http://www.slax.org/
Vextor Linux : http://vectorlinux.com/
Xbuntu : http://www.xubuntu.org/
Fluxbuntu : http://www.debianadmin.com/fluxbuntu-light-weight-ubuntu-based-linux-distribution-featuring-fluxbox-window-manager.html

In general any distributions can be best in all machine.... if you want X.org runing, the tip is choice a lightweight desktop manager, for example : XFCE, Xwm, Fluxbox, and run the necessary services at boot time ....

Bye

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

GregNorc posted:

Thanks. I got lucky and found an rpm.

I thought I had /etc/hostapd.conf set up right, but I still get errors when I try and start it (at this point I just told it what interface to use and an ssid, I'm not even going for connectivity, just being able to connect to the AP will be enough right now)

Here's the error:
code:
ioctrl[PRISM_IOCTRL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
Could not enable hostapd mode for interface wlan0
hostap driver initialization failed.
Ah, yes, hostapd. God how I dicked around with that one.

I think you've set the wrong driver in there. I think you need to switch it to "driver=madwifi" in the config file, if you're using an atheros card.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

kyuss posted:

Good point. I know Slax is pretty easy to customize a Live CD or USB. I've never attempted it, however.

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

Quick question:

I'm looking for a services and security tracking software. Something that could integrate things like SNORT, nmap scans, and the like.

Basically I've used Solarwind's Orion/ipMonitor and PRTG's network grapher in the past and I'd like to implement something that I could throw on a linux server. I'd prefer something with a web gui front end as it makes managing alerts much easier.

If it supports syslogs and snmp that'd be even better!

For reference I've been looking into OSSIM but I'd like something to compare it to and hear a second opinion.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I have a bunch of static html files with date entries like the following:

code:
<h2 class="date">05.10.2009 21:43</h2>
but I need to swap the month with the day like this:

code:
<h2 class="date">10.05.2009 21:43</h2>
I'm thinking sed, awk or python?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

mike12345 posted:

I have a bunch of static html files with date entries like the following:

code:
<h2 class="date">05.10.2009 21:43</h2>
but I need to swap the month with the day like this:

code:
<h2 class="date">10.05.2009 21:43</h2>
I'm thinking sed, awk or python?

Lots of ways. here's perl:

code:
perl -p -i -e 's/05\.10/10\.05/' *.html

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

falz posted:

Lots of ways. here's perl:

code:
perl -p -i -e 's/05\.10/10\.05/' *.html

Sorry, I meant to say that the date entries differ, <h2 class="date">05.10.2009 21:43</h2> was just an example. Basically it goes all the way back to February, multiple html files for each date. But always written like <h2 class="date">mm.dd.yyyy hh:mm</h2>

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

mike12345 posted:

Sorry, I meant to say that the date entries differ, <h2 class="date">05.10.2009 21:43</h2> was just an example. Basically it goes all the way back to February, multiple html files for each date. But always written like <h2 class="date">mm.dd.yyyy hh:mm</h2>

code:
$ sed 's/\([0-9]\{2\}\)\.\([0-9]\{2\}\)\./\2\.\1\./' input.html > output.html

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Lucien posted:

code:
$ sed 's/\([0-9]\{2\}\)\.\([0-9]\{2\}\)\./\2\.\1\./' input.html > output.html

Woah, thanks! Just what I was looking for.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

mike12345 posted:

Woah, thanks! Just what I was looking for.
Cheers. Regular expressions look confusing but are really useful and not at all difficult to write once you get the hang of it. If you need this stuff more often than like once a year, you should definitely look into it.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Anyone know how to get reliable dynamic DNS up and running? I've been using no-ip service and noip2 software on Ubuntu but it's been flaking out pretty bad lately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Anyone know how to get reliable dynamic DNS up and running? I've been using no-ip service and noip2 software on Ubuntu but it's been flaking out pretty bad lately.

I've used ez-ipupdate before and didn't have any problems that I can remember. It's been awhile, I've since switched to having the router do the updates.

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

I'm fairly new to the whole administering linux thing, and i'd appreciate any input on what I can do to further increase security. My main concern is that because the server will be running a publicly available wiki that i'm unfamiliar with (mindtouch/dekiwiki), I want to make sure I've got things nailed down as hard as I possibly can in case mindtouch goes tits-up via some exploit.

ssh seems taken care of (ip restricted, no root login from ssh, key required for auth etc), apache is running mod_security and the server is firewalled down as much as I can get it - what else can I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Lucien posted:

Cheers. Regular expressions look confusing but are really useful and not at all difficult to write once you get the hang of it. If you need this stuff more often than like once a year, you should definitely look into it.

I know, I know. Do you think it's worth buying that O'Reilly book on regexp or should I just google and print out stuff I find on the web?