Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

dreggory posted:

This is closer to the shot I'm going for, I was just having a hard time seeing what was going on with the lights, etc. from this angle.

For some reason it looks like your objects are picking up much more light than your glassy surface. It seems like there should be more light reflecting off that glass than the legos. Picking yellow light kind of blows out the yellow of the figures. I'd tone down the light a lot and just up the specular of the plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Wheeeee!

Had a couple of hours spare at the end of today so I did a render to fit my music. 'schtick' is the name I go by for it, it's all dark n' poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Wheeeee!

Had a couple of hours spare at the end of today so I did a render to fit my music. 'schtick' is the name I go by for it, it's all dark n' poo poo.

Nice render, but gently caress reduce that kerning :D. It's way too much.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks for all the input.

Unfortunately, anything outside of Australia is impossible for the time being (can't pay for it if I don't work), so the plan I had in mind was: Go to Australia, start at the entry level, and once I finish up there use the money I saved up to go somewhere else.

It's still really far fetched for now, and depends on a million different things, but I wanted to get a headstart with the whole "choose a bloody place" before arriving there. v:shobon:v

How knowledged are you about CG? Do you know what you want to do? The different roles and positions in a company.

I think it's very important for people to do some research if they are interested in going at this as a career, and learn about the different aspects of the industry, because honestly a lot of it is just a matter of picking up the software and going from there, and the rest can be learned from books, dvds, online training and even the docs themselves.

Again this my opinion, since this is what I did, but that's another story.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Thems some fancy couches cubicle!

I've been playing with fluid sims today, gonna blow me up some grain silos. Yea.

http://tinyurl.com/dnhjup
http://tinyurl.com/dcg778

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

Thems some fancy couches cubicle!

I've been playing with fluid sims today, gonna blow me up some grain silos. Yea.

http://tinyurl.com/dnhjup
http://tinyurl.com/dcg778

Hey fellow Houdini buddy, advecting particles on that should be fun. Good start so far. What kind of shattering is that you're using?

Been keeping my eye on the new volume break that's being worked on, it's getting there soon hopefully.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
The inbuilt shatter thing sucks, I grabbed the Kfracture thing off the exchange and it works a treat. Couldn't really be assed making my own right now.

Yep particles on it will be sweet, I'm just getting the workflow down before I apply it to the proper silo thing.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

The inbuilt shatter thing sucks, I grabbed the Kfracture thing off the exchange and it works a treat. Couldn't really be assed making my own right now.

Yep particles on it will be sweet, I'm just getting the workflow down before I apply it to the proper silo thing.

haha yeah, it's pretty wonky. I've been working on my own setup lately, even as far as hitting up the HDK and figure out some real stuff, but too drat busy with work lately.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

Wheeeee!

Oh gently caress beaten irl :argh:

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
I have one week to model and rig a 2 minute short in 3dsmax.

Jesus gently caress what the god.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
What is it, what is it of, kind of plausiable depending on content and direction but you will not be sleeping more than 5 hours a night. Godspeed.

The pint at the end of that will be the finest pint that you have ever tasted.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

I've been doing construction animations for three years or so for a large engineering firm. I've moved jobs recently and there's potential to start doing interior visuals for my new company. The only thing is, I find it difficult to light interior spaces even half decently.

I'm trying to recreate this scene (but with more daylight through the window)..

I have my wireframe...

I'm using Max 2008 with Mental Ray and FG, I've placed a daylight system and two mr Sky Portals at the windows. No glass in the windows, just the two Sky Portals. I'm using mr Photographic Exposure Control with the Exposure Value defaulting to 10.0

This is the initial scene with the lighting described above...

What room lights should I use? I've tried mr Area Omni and Photometric lighting to recreate the room lights but with no success. Have I gone down the wrong route by using the Daylight and Sky Portals?

Also, why does the Max render window show me the image on the left, when I save the image and open it in Photoshop show me the image on the right? It's never been that noticable before. I've used the Gamma setting in Max but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Solved issue thanks to SynthOrange

If anybody could give me help with the lighting, I'd be very grateful.

Cad_Monkey2 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 9, 2009

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Photoshop might be using a colour profile.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Photoshop might be using a colour profile.

Thanks, I've changed the Photoshop colour profile and it looks much better.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

I've been doing construction animations for three years or so for a large engineering firm. I've moved jobs recently and there's potential to start doing interior visuals for my new company. The only thing is, I find it difficult to light interior spaces even half decently.

I'm trying to recreate this scene (but with more daylight through the window)..

I have my wireframe...

I'm using Max 2008 with Mental Ray and FG, I've placed a daylight system and two mr Sky Portals at the windows. No glass in the windows, just the two Sky Portals. I'm using mr Photographic Exposure Control with the Exposure Value defaulting to 10.0

This is the initial scene with the lighting described above...

What room lights should I use? I've tried mr Area Omni and Photometric lighting to recreate the room lights but with no success. Have I gone down the wrong route by using the Daylight and Sky Portals?

Also, why does the Max render window show me the image on the left, when I save the image and open it in Photoshop show me the image on the right? It's never been that noticable before. I've used the Gamma setting in Max but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Solved issue thanks to SynthOrange

If anybody could give me help with the lighting, I'd be very grateful.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong about this but here it goes . . .

The skyportals serve to concentrate the FG rays around the point of entry (the window). The area light should be size and shape of the window/opening with the skyportal connected to the light through the mental ray tab in the light. I believe Max has its own separate light for a sky portal vs using an area light but I could be wrong.

In order to make the light travel farther through FG you can turn on secondary bounce. You can then go into the secondary bounce settings and ADD diffuse bounces by increasing the VALUE of the light beyond one. This way you can get as many FG diffuse bounces as you want. However each bounce increases render time and each bounce means more bounce color which looks weird if there is too much.

Alternatively, portal lights are supposed to work best with GI. GI + FG + portal lights will allow much more light in but you have to tweak the GI to taste as well as your exposure settings in Max. Max has a really cool preview window for the exposure (I wish maya had something like this) which shows the exposure changes in realtime (f-stop, whitebalance etc) by hitting the 8 key. There are even presets for outdoor vs indoor lighting.

Still wouldn't mind a really nice tut on how to do this in both max and maya and what the differences are. As far as I can tell, the daylight system in max is the equivalent to turning on Mray sun and sky in Maya's render globals (thereby setting up a source for the fill light from the sky and the directional/key light for the sun.

If you go with FG + GI, it is very important to make sure you use enough FG sampling to smooth out any blotchiness you might get.

This is stuff I have been going over a lot lately, so I hope I have explained it well.

Here is an example of a cathedral render I made with just the Mray sun and sky + FG and GI. This is maya but regardless of which package you use, the concepts are the same.

Lighting the fruitplate in much the same way:

EDIT:

These links are for maya but they may still be helpful as they are more about Mray settings. This is what I have been using to read up on it outside of the help file:

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/maya/mr/
http://toi.bk.tudelft.nl/maya/help/docs/Maya2008/en_US/ArchGuide/arch_sunsky.html#Foot8

EDIT2:
Google search pointed me to this for Max:
http://masteringmentalray.surpass.nl/content/view/34/10/

If any one knows of a comprehensive guide on this which illustrates the process in BOTH max and maya, I would very interested. I also recommend reading Digital Lighting and Rendering (2nd edition) for really getting your head around lighting. That and read this classic tut:
http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/light01.htm

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 9, 2009

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

Thanks Sigma 6, I've been messing with the exposure settings a touch before you posted and got to this point...

I tried using GI with FG but it completely washed out the scene, even lowering the GI almost to nil it was still washed out.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Unexpected EOF posted:

You are hosed.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

Thanks Sigma 6, I've been messing with the exposure settings a touch before you posted and got to this point...

I tried using GI with FG but it completely washed out the scene, even lowering the GI almost to nil it was still washed out.

That's starting to look pretty nice. I might suggest a light behind the camera as if there was a doorway or something.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

FWIW when photographers shoot rooms like that they hide about 5-15 extra lights in places you don't see so the room looks evenly lit. That room isn't lit solely by the ceiling lights and the window. Do the same and put lights anywhere you see light that shouldn't naturally be there from lights+window.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

le capitan posted:

That's starting to look pretty nice. I might suggest a light behind the camera as if there was a doorway or something.

Not an Anthem posted:

FWIW when photographers shoot rooms like that they hide about 5-15 extra lights in places you don't see so the room looks evenly lit. That room isn't lit solely by the ceiling lights and the window. Do the same and put lights anywhere you see light that shouldn't naturally be there from lights+window.

I'll be taking both these comments on board, cheers guys!

On a another note, why is this speckling happening with regards to reflectivity to materials? I've increased the Shadow Samples on the Sky Portals to no avail...

EPIC PROPORTIONS!!
Jul 10, 2008

zzzzzzrrrrrrwwwnnnnnnnnnnn
Hey guys, here's an insect creature I've been working on for class:

Concept Art:

Click here for the full 716x774 image.

Any crits would be really great! (it's due Monday).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I never got into mental ray at all :(
The way it works just rubs me up the wrong way.

Also, is anyone from here going to the vray public event in london on the 13th?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

You need interior lights. If you are just going to use light from the window, then rooms tend to be quite a bit gloomier. The room from the photo is a lot brighter from interior lights, not from the window. In fact the window from the photo looks like a poster on the wall as barely any light is coming in. Try taking a photo in a room lit only from the window and see what happens. Get more light working inside the scene and I think you will find it makes it more realistic feeling.

I don't light many interiors but I don't personally tend to use lots of complicated effects. I tend to just do an occlusion pass and then light with cheaper lights. Of course I'm not usually going for a hyper-realism look, just something that will show off my models well in an expressive way.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Holy hell, mudbox is proving itself to be more and more of a godsend for my workflow these last couple of days. Things that would have taken me days to pull off are coming together in hours now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You'd better elaborate on that.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

SynthOrange posted:

You'd better elaborate on that.

Well, for the longest time, even for simple models I was using straight up polys and smoothing groups to get anything done, even simpler stuff. Admittedly this is a terrible thing if you need to work fast or even if you don't. Mudbox flows really well into Maya though and it's a lot easier for me to sculpt things like folds in clothing when I don't really need to work out any complex motion detail with them.

Basically, I've gone from tedious "click. click. click. click. stab myself with a fork to stay awake. click. click" to "export to obj, draw some buttons, seams and whatever on, send it back to maya as a displacement map."

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

I'll be taking both these comments on board, cheers guys!

On a another note, why is this speckling happening with regards to reflectivity to materials? I've increased the Shadow Samples on the Sky Portals to no avail...

I'm not sure about mR materials, but if that were a Vray material, it would be the reflection samples of the material. There's also a sample interpolation toggle which would help render time and the "smoothness" of that reflection at the cost of accuracy.

hope that helps

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EPIC PROPORTIONS!! posted:

Hey guys, here's an insect creature I've been working on for class:

Concept Art:

Click here for the full 716x774 image.

Any crits would be really great! (it's due Monday).

Aw, he's so cute. I'd say the limbs and shell arent very hard and defined, looking a little blobby compared to how hard and textured the concept art does.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

Handiklap posted:

I'm not sure about mR materials, but if that were a Vray material, it would be the reflection samples of the material. There's also a sample interpolation toggle which would help render time and the "smoothness" of that reflection at the cost of accuracy.

hope that helps

It did indeed Handiklap, thanks for that.

Hinchu posted:

You need interior lights. If you are just going to use light from the window, then rooms tend to be quite a bit gloomier. The room from the photo is a lot brighter from interior lights, not from the window. In fact the window from the photo looks like a poster on the wall as barely any light is coming in. Try taking a photo in a room lit only from the window and see what happens. Get more light working inside the scene and I think you will find it makes it more realistic feeling.

Although I'm looking not to mimic the scene exactly regarding the 'time of day' look, I'm working on the lighting now. Thanks for the tip, Hinchu.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
A lot of architectural photographers these days merge different exposures to get an even light throughout the scene. Sometimes available light doesn't do nearly enough to make a pretty picture. Many rooms, even in well designed homes are actually pretty badly lit from a photographic standpoint. As was stated before, they also add all sorts of reflectors and strobes that you can't see to accent specific areas. So don't feel bad about fudging stuff to get the look you want.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

DefMech posted:

A lot of architectural photographers these days merge different exposures to get an even light throughout the scene. Sometimes available light doesn't do nearly enough to make a pretty picture. Many rooms, even in well designed homes are actually pretty badly lit from a photographic standpoint. As was stated before, they also add all sorts of reflectors and strobes that you can't see to accent specific areas. So don't feel bad about fudging stuff to get the look you want.

I've fudged the light as best I can. You'll have to excuse the same poster appearing twice in the image and I also need to add more clutter. Thoughts so far?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
That definitely looks better. I think the bloom from the window is still a bit harsh. Also the blurry mirror looks kind of odd. I think the blurred reflection would look nice on that blue counter top. I think a few more hotspots in the room from interior lighting would be nice as well.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

Hinchu posted:

That definitely looks better. I think the bloom from the window is still a bit harsh. Also the blurry mirror looks kind of odd. I think the blurred reflection would look nice on that blue counter top. I think a few more hotspots in the room from interior lighting would be nice as well.

Is his more along the lines or what you mentioned, Hinchu? I added subtle hotspots around the main Keith Moon poster and the book shelves. Or was it too subtle. I also toned down the bloom on the Sky Portals. The highlight on the tv screen is from the Sky Portal, not the hotspot. It looks odd, I might rotate the tv a bit for 'realism'.

Cad_Monkey2 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 11, 2009

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

Unexpected EOF posted:

I have two and a half weeks to do basically the same in Maya

I don't even know how to use Maya yet

gently caress maya I haet it so much

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I have 2 weeks (Less than that now) to model, texture, and light a subaru STi in full rally trim and I just started working in maya today. Looks like in 2 weeks we will see who can pick up extremely deep programs the fastest.

Edit: Atleast I don't have to paint weights hahaha.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

I added subtle hotspots around the main Keith Moon poster...

It's not that subtle, and now I'm wondering where that spotlight is coming from.

Heath Deadger
Feb 24, 2009

Trintintin posted:

I have 2 weeks (Less than that now) to model, texture, and light a subaru STi in full rally trim and I just started working in maya today. Looks like in 2 weeks we will see who can pick up extremely deep programs the fastest.

Edit: Atleast I don't have to paint weights hahaha.

We'll see who picks it up faster...

I'm building a still life from Esquire Magazine.

So far I have a Coleman Kerosene lantern, an ax, and a claw hammer ready to be textured...

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Cad_Monkey2 - it's coming along a lot better now, but everything still seems slightly disjointed. I'd get some subtle dirt/ao in there, and it might be worth seeing how it looks with camera correction on.

Here's a few days work - bit quiet in the office so i'm working on some portfolio things. I didnt do the bar though, that was taken from someone elses old scene.

edit:
Wireframe!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 11, 2009

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Cad_Monkey2 - it's coming along a lot better now, but everything still seems slightly disjointed. I'd get some subtle dirt/ao in there, and it might be worth seeing how it looks with camera correction on.

Here's a few days work - bit quiet in the office so i'm working on some portfolio things. I didnt do the bar though, that was taken from someone elses old scene.

Great atmosphere, but holy crap the scale of the bar stools with the person seems really off. Unless those are wingback sized stools...which would be awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
hah, they are.
They look hosed up, just because it's not exactly a common sight. Thats actually how big they are though, it's weird.

I might just swap them out because it makes the scale of my scene look wrong.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 11, 2009