Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

What the hell is HUAS HUAS HUAS? That's not even convenient to type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Pillow Face posted:

What the hell is HUAS HUAS HUAS? That's not even convenient to type?

That's what I was wondering. Unless Brazil doesn't use QWERTY. I'm guessing it's a thing in Brazil. Maybe some kind of sound effect of a brain being blown.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
its the sound of a donk-rear end brazilian booty being slapped repeatedly

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

His English was also pretty poor. Shortly after that he said something like "I'm going to take my sister, lets have some fun later." After a few questions I realized he was taking her to school...

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I remember the S being silent sometimes in Portugese, and the H being hard (and R is a soft H). It might be pronounced KWA KWA KWA!! . . . gotta look that up.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Go party! :toot:

Hey Helsbecter what did you mean by that villainous statement? Is woss on hiatus?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

qxan posted:

Go party! :toot:

Hey Helsbecter what did you mean by that villainous statement? Is woss on hiatus?

I was looking through the baby name book with the lady and right there on the first page, "Sebastian." On the one hand, if we named the baby Sebastian it would be in good company, but on the other, we don't plan on it being a miserable baby forever.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
Price info for 2009 go congress is up: https://www.usgo.org/congresses/2009/faq.php#cost

quote:

For adults over 22 the registration fee is $260
For youths 22 and under the fee is $130
Adult non-players are $50 and youth non-players are $50.
Prices raise $50 after June 1st and $100 after July 1st

22-and-under price isn't too bad. If any of you guys can make it out to DC but can't cover the registration fee I might be willing to help out, PM me here or nexterh on KGS.

ps hi qxan are you 9d yet

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

xau posted:

For youths 22 and under the fee is $130

drat it I had to go and turn 22 three years ago. That is a decent price compared to an adult. What I don't understand is what more is a 23 year old (or a 25 year old) going to be getting out of the congress that is worth paying an extra $130. I mean room and food aren't even included.

xau posted:

If any of you guys can make it out to DC but can't cover the registration fee I might be willing to help out

You, sir, are a pip. Even though there is no way I can go I'd like to thank you for this offer.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 8, 2009

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Way too much money for go con.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

FYI:

ITGO just got admin'd for lewd language. The room info got removed and they stuck us in the new room division.

We just got warned by the man.

EDIT:

We just got put back proper room status.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 9, 2009

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Guys, itgo is a family room ok, cut the crap

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Question about materials.
I just got a set from ymimports.com, shin kaya, yunzi stones, about $90 or so. I love it, it's pretty, yadda yadda.
Kiseido says, "Another wood that is being used for go boards is spruce. It is marketed as shin-kaya, but it is a very inferior wood to be used for go boards. It is a soft wood and, after a short time, small dents will be made by stones striking the surface. The boards initially look very nice, but the wood deteriorates rather quickly."
Now... are they saying this because they're selling Katsura boards and want you to shell out the $350 it'll take for one? Or is shin-kaya (alaskan or tibetan spruce) really that terrible?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I probably have that same board or very similar, and while it's not something that's going to get you a lot of wows at a go club, its perfectly usable and is basically the best cheap option for a board that looks and feels decent and isn't a ton of money. It's an "inferior" wood compared to real go boards, but real go boards are way out of the price range of most players.

TLDR: I have a shin-kaya board and I'm perfectly happy with it. The sections started splitting a little bit but thats because I left it in the trunk of my car for a winter, I think.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Quad posted:

Question about materials.
I just got a set from ymimports.com, shin kaya, yunzi stones, about $90 or so. I love it, it's pretty, yadda yadda.
Kiseido says, "Another wood that is being used for go boards is spruce. It is marketed as shin-kaya, but it is a very inferior wood to be used for go boards. It is a soft wood and, after a short time, small dents will be made by stones striking the surface. The boards initially look very nice, but the wood deteriorates rather quickly."
Now... are they saying this because they're selling Katsura boards and want you to shell out the $350 it'll take for one? Or is shin-kaya (alaskan or tibetan spruce) really that terrible?

Yeah, spruce is a terrible material for a go board in the sense that a go board is supposed to be this sublime masterwork that you can pass down for generations. At the go club where I play, we've got about a half a dozen shin kaya boards that have been rather indifferently cared for in the ten years or whatever that they've been in service, and only one of them is really hosed up to the point where you might consider grabbing another board. As long as you aren't obsessed with slapping your stones down like some sort of stunt spectacular, it ought to be alright. You wanted something to play on, after all, not something for your tea ceremony.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
smacking down stones is fun and having indents on poo poo like common opening points is sort of cool imo

also just to remind anyone new, when you go into the SA room make some noise and one of the regulars will let you into the super secret cool kids club (SSCKC)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Anyone who was in there previously has to rejoin because some kgs admin took the room down to remedy the INAPPROPRIATE/LEWD SPEECH in our room description. Never mind that because it was a private room only people who had access could see the INAPPROPRIATE/LEWD SPEECH; the only way the admin could have possibly noticed is if he went down the list checking the hundreds of rooms for INAPPROPRIATE/LEWD SPEECH like some kind of busybody human being.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

I stumbled upon this:

http://www.361points.com/go_videos/

Neat to see a fansub of Chinese game commentary on Lee Changho vs. Cho Hunhyun. The double-digit kyu workshop is nice too. Go is about sharing and being nice :) :)

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

So I'm looking to get a copy of Attack and Defense and I was just checking amazon to see had any copies (which I don't know why I did, they never do). Three sellers however had copies. Have you seen what they are charging?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/4871870146/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1242014363&sr=8-1&condition=all

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just got done playing my first two games (KGS) of Go since high school (which were played against equally clueless players using graphing paper and glass "stones"). Thanks Helsbecter for pointing me in the right direction really opened my eyes on how this game works. Hopefully sometime in the future I won't get as demolished. 98 games to go...

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Pillow Face posted:

I stumbled upon this:

Neat to see a fansub of Chinese game commentary on Lee Changho vs. Cho Hunhyun. The double-digit kyu workshop is nice too. Go is about sharing and being nice :) :)

The subtitled commentary is really cool, hopefully he translates a couple more

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Blendy posted:

So I'm looking to get a copy of Attack and Defense and I was just checking amazon to see had any copies (which I don't know why I did, they never do). Three sellers however had copies. Have you seen what they are charging?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/4871870146/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1242014363&sr=8-1&condition=all

Just order it directly from Kiseido(http://kiseido.com/go_books.htm). $18

Zeiros
Apr 9, 2003

It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards.
I'm going to come and hang out with you guys on KGS for a while. I played a little bit of Go a few years ago but have since forgotten all but the most basic rules.

Unfortunately I'll be stuck offline for a couple of days so will try and get back up to speed with GNU Go before coming online to get absolutely demolished. I'd like to be one step ahead of "placing stones randomly" before wasting somebody else's time!

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Zeiros posted:

I'm going to come and hang out with you guys on KGS for a while. I played a little bit of Go a few years ago but have since forgotten all but the most basic rules.

Unfortunately I'll be stuck offline for a couple of days so will try and get back up to speed with GNU Go before coming online to get absolutely demolished. I'd like to be one step ahead of "placing stones randomly" before wasting somebody else's time!

I'd recommend coming on and playing the low-level rank bots. They aren't as good as actual people, but at least we can see your games and help you. And besides, KGS maintains a pretty good population of beginners - even brand new players can usually find a game that will be rewarding for all parties.

EDIT: and yeah just get kiseido books from kiseido, they have sort of an archaic order system but I've done it twice with no complaints.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

GoBob posted:

Just order it directly from Kiseido(http://kiseido.com/go_books.htm). $18

I did, I just thought it was interesting that they're selling copies for $200+

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Blendy posted:

I did, I just thought it was interesting that they're selling copies for $200+

My guess is that they are the original Ishi Press copies, despite Amazon saying the publisher is Kiseido. I know Ishi Press versions tend to sell for insanely high amounts.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
kgs players are big fukkin pussies got banned for callin someone a fag

Ironis
Nov 20, 2004
Why "Hello" young man.

Pillow Face posted:

I stumbled upon this:

This is a great video and it's actually pretty funny too:

"What shall we call this shape... I'm afraid we can only call this White shape...
A shape that wants to cry but can't produce tears."

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

as halfway crooks posted:

kgs players are big fukkin pussies got banned for callin someone a fag

bans only last 48 hours so in two days you can start making GBS threads the place up again

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

Blendy posted:

I had an original copy of that. Lent it out to friends, pages got torn out from the poor binding, and all I can remember is wanting that entire book back because I am 100% positive it explained everything I am currently lacking.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Azazel posted:

I had an original copy of that. Lent it out to friends, pages got torn out from the poor binding, and all I can remember is wanting that entire book back because I am 100% positive it explained everything I am currently lacking.

Was it the Ishi press or Kiseido printing? I'm wondering if the Ishi press is any different. I'm guessing not.

Edit for stupidity: I'm guessing by original you mean Ishi. Have you seen a Kiseido copy? If so have you noticed differences?

Blendy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 12, 2009

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Blendy posted:

Was it the Ishi press or Kiseido printing? I'm wondering if the Ishi press is any different. I'm guessing not.

Edit for stupidity: I'm guessing by original you mean Ishi. Have you seen a Kiseido copy? If so have you noticed differences?

The only differences(as far as I'm aware) between the Ishi Press and Kiseido editions of the books is that the Kiseido versions fixed a lot of the errors in the Ishi versions. At least that's what I gathered from looking at my Kiseido copies of L&D and Tesuji.

If anyone is looking for some out of print books, Kiseido has released some old books as downloads or all five on a DVD(http://www.kiseidodigital.com/kdb.html)

* What's Your Rating?, by Miyamoto Naoki: 50 full-board problems with detailed explanations.
* Kato's Attack and Kill, by Kato Masao. Fundamentals, problems, and game commentaries on Kato-style middle-game fighting.
* Enclosure Josekis, by Takemiya Masaki. Dictionary of josekis for attacking and defending corner enclosures, an oft-overlooked topic.
* All About Thickness, by Ishida Yoshio. An easy-to-understand, visual explanation of the crucial concept of thickness.
* The Breakthrough to Shodan, by Miyamoto Naoki. Commentaries on three- and four-stone handicap games for the low-kyu player.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I was doing some reseach on Ishi Press this morning (looking up their publishing list and what not) and I'm now kind of confused about Ishi and Kiseido. In particular I can't find any information on when Ishi stopped printing (though they released a few books in 2007 under the Ishi label, so maybe they are still publishing?). Also I can't find any information why Richard Bozulich left Ishi and founded Kiseido. Invincible was printed first by Ishi and then by Kiseido but according to the info I found Kiseido printed it while Ishi was still in business!?

:confused:

Blendy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 12, 2009

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

So I realized I hosed up buying my goban. I got a neat shin-kaya Japanese board which is totally off the hook and Chinese yunzi stones which are off the hook. I'm sure a lot of people reading this see the problem. The stones are too big for the board. Not by much. Ever so slightly. But it's enough to bother me when I play on it. I have to readjust the stones as every move maligns other stones.

Woe is me.

tl;dr:
:words:

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.
I'm in the room as mkarr. I'd like to start playing--I've only played maybe three games before. Looking forward to seeing you guys.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

So I realized I hosed up buying my goban. I got a neat shin-kaya Japanese board which is totally off the hook and Chinese yunzi stones which are off the hook. I'm sure a lot of people reading this see the problem. The stones are too big for the board. Not by much. Ever so slightly. But it's enough to bother me when I play on it. I have to readjust the stones as every move maligns other stones.

Woe is me.

tl;dr:

Press '8' to toggle the shrink ray.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

qxan posted:

Woe is me.

tl;dr:

Post a picture, stones are supposed to be slightly too big

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Unfortunately, this is a picture of 19 stones. As you can see, they line up perfectly with the lines of intersection. Not. The black stone in the center is perfectly positioned, and, as you can see, the stones only get worse and worse from there.

So can we throw my pity party now? I'll bring the dip. :v:

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Honestly, I'd still play with it. You aren't often going to see these huge solid fields of stones where that will become that noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan is your goban slotted together? The photos kind of make it look like 2 parts slotted together (which I've seen but I can't tell if this one is or if the photo is just weird). Also is that a carrying case in the background? If so how is it?