Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

Doctor Zero posted:

You should be looking at between $50 and $75 a tire.

I would expect more like $20 to $30 each off the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antonio97b
Sep 21, 2008

Legerdemain posted:

I just got a new tire for my motorcycle today cost about $35 for the tire but after mounting and balancing it came to $73

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I don't think it does it is currently registered. Does it need to be re-safety inspected before I buy it or after? The registration expires in July. I have no idea about CA tag laws and such.

No safety inspection in CA. Take your second set of wheels and bring those in to get the new tires pit on. 20$+ fees is pretty standard, man be a bit more. Some places are dicks about the tires, some aren't. If you're willing to wait a bit I'm running a maintenence day in Santa maria in a few weeks and we could do them then.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
drat, you guys are getting some cheap tires! My rear cost $150!!!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Yeah, I think they're probably getting the 'fell off the back of the truck' discount. My last tyre change set me back $CAD550, including installation and levies. :smithicide:

Edit: that included the cost of both front and rear tyres, obviously.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I had new tyres bought and put on last week. Cost me £180 in total. But those weren't massively sporty tyres, just some normal battleaxes.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Haha, waiting at the BMV to get my license (save oninsurance between now and MSF) and I am the only one wearing gear outside of helmet in a group of 10 riders to far. One harley guy, huge suzuki standard, gsx, and like 6 scooters. Only one scooter guy wearing a helmet :( what the hell.

Edit: huzzah passed

First 4 testers failed, first was spectacular. Girl in her 20's wiped out on the swerve test. Next was a near wipeout on the fast stop, the next was a harley guy that failed cone and uturn. Final guy was just pointsa adding up from feet down.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 9, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Legerdemain posted:

My post even said "on the bike" but you chose not to include that in your quote. :smugbert:

Also, seconding the cheap tires. Mine cost me $160 for the front and $190 for the rear. They retail for more than $80 more than that too. :smith:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
That's why I buy Chen Shins. I don't ride aggressively enough to need a good sporty tire. I think mine were like 50 front and 70 rear.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Phy posted:

I talked to one of the senior salesmen in the Eurobike section of the local giga-dealer, he says he's planning on setting up a V7 Classic for demo rides. Should I sign up, or should I really sign up?

Only sign up if you have the money or are prepared to spend years pining for the V7 that got away.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I already have the tires I just need them put on the wheel. I would love to wait Z3n but I need to be up and riding fairly soon. My car loves sucking gas like a fat kid loves cake. My commute is almost half a tank round trip in my buick.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

That's why I buy Chen Shins. I don't ride aggressively enough to need a good sporty tire. I think mine were like 50 front and 70 rear.

Perhaps I'm being stupid, but I figure I don't want to skimp on the only thing between me and asphalt at 70 miles an hour.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I did some research before buying. CS's aren't Dunlops, or Pirellis, or any of the other more expensive brands, but they're not complete pieces of poo poo. I've never had them slip, leak, or give me any kind of trouble. Most of my riding is around town and they've done very well at that. On the occasions I've gone to ride the twisties or been on the freeway there's been nothing that has indicated they aren't up to the task.

I ride pretty much like a grandma on Sunday. If I had a faster/more aggressive bike I would probably have gotten something else, but on a 27 year old sedate standard they've been fine.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Doctor Zero posted:

Perhaps I'm being stupid, but I figure I don't want to skimp on the only thing between me and asphalt at 70 miles an hour.

My bike won't even go that fast, and I only cruise along back roads at 45mph. When I get a more capable bike and do more highway riding, I'll most assuredly be on brand-name tires. (But still, bike tire $ > car tire $ is positively ludicrous.)

Edit: Refresh before posting.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Man it looks like my seller is getting cold feet.... Won't answer the phone or return emails, bummer. Ah well unless something happens with him soon I'm gunna write him off. I didn't put cash or check in his hands so no worries there.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

100 Years in Iraq posted:

That's why I buy Chen Shins.
they're not making street tires anymore :(
but we still have kenda and shinko!

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
I just tapped someone while lane splitting :(. I was on 680 just now and ran into a massive traffic jam. I tried to sit it out, but we came over a crest and I saw it went on for miles and miles. There was hardly any room to lane split at all because of a wall on the left pushing cars towards the line. I managed to get by several giant suvs and it ended up being two small economy cars that squeezed me in. I stopped to give a courtesy wave as an apology and the dude looked pretty annoyed. Sorry dude. The contact wasn't even enough to put my mirror out of adjustment and my girlfriend's shoe sort of brushed up against the car as well. No damage at all but I still feel really bad. First time lane splitting with the lady too. Not easy at all.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Man, I wish lane splitting was legal in this province, especially after watching that guy commute through London traffic.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
Yeah, when you need to lane split you need to lane split. I'd hate to still squeezed in with those cars right this moment still. Most places it's cake, but not this stretch of road. Glad I have the option at least.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

darknrgy posted:

Yeah, when you need to lane split you need to lane split. I'd hate to still squeezed in with those cars right this moment still. Most places it's cake, but not this stretch of road. Glad I have the option at least.

Lane splitting is so awesome, after getting a taste of riding though LA in rush hour, I can't look at traffic jams in Dallas the same way. I won't normally lane split here, though yesterday after getting cut off by some bimbo, I split by and took her cigarette.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

blugu64 posted:

Lane splitting is so awesome, after getting a taste of riding though LA in rush hour, I can't look at traffic jams in Dallas the same way. I won't normally lane split here, though yesterday after getting cut off by some bimbo, I split by and took her cigarette.

ok that is hilarious. Did you actually grab it from her or just knock it out of her hand?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

darknrgy posted:

ok that is hilarious. Did you actually grab it from her or just knock it out of her hand?

a little of both, it's not like I could actually, or wanted to keep it while riding or anything.

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

I think fast track driving is a little like playing the bagpipes, you know, a gentleman can - but doesn't.
Arizona may have a nice winter riding season but it gets a little tough in the summer. The ride too work this morning was nice, coming home not so much.

Click here for the full 1058x793 image.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What is this the cockpit of?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^ Ducati Monster (Dark?).

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

I think fast track driving is a little like playing the bagpipes, you know, a gentleman can - but doesn't.

Bucephalus posted:

Ducati Monster Dark.

Its a little cheater because the bike is air cooled and I obviously can't take a picture while riding. But it was honestly about 104 when I was riding home today and it pains me to ride in my leathers so I scrape by on the summer jacket I have. Going to work at 5:30 AM when its 75 is nice though.

sl0hburn fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 10, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My folks and I were talking about violence and poo poo (great conversation for Mother's Day lunch, I know) and I thought of the guy who shot the motorcycle rider in the back. The rider had some sort of accident with the dude's daughters and followed them home. When he was driving by a second time, Dad shot the kid in the back.

What ever happened with that? It kinda fell off my radar. Last I heard, the dad was in jail awaiting trial.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
He got life.

http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2009/01/richard-gear-se.html

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jeez. It was a bullshit shooting, but I wasn't expecting him to get life.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Uthor posted:

I don't know...what is a reasonable sentence for shooting someone in the back?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Getting assraped from behind for lif.... Yeah seems fair.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Uthor posted:

Good. gently caress that guy.

Edit: Well I guess I can sort of sympathize with 'my daughters told me someone was after them and I'm a crazy trigger happy bastard and this happened'. If he had the full story from the get go, he probably wouldn't have shot anybody. So really what I meant to say is, gently caress that family.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

I'm not saying life isn't reasonable, just that I didn't expect him to get it. I was expecting something like 15 years. Actually, before the reports that the cops were going full bore to put him away, I was expecting him to get off.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

That is some of the best news I have heard in a long time, justice system finally works. I remember when that story first came out and all the bullshit from the 2 daughters and father made me think he was going to get off with a slap on the wrist. gently caress that guy, I hope he gets shanked a few times in the back.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I agree with the verdict too. I bet those lying bitches feel like poo poo now, since they made up that whole story probably just to avoid getting yelled at. Your plan backfired and your dad is now someone's bitch for life. I wonder how many one percenters are gonna be in the same jail as him.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

they're not making street tires anymore :(
but we still have kenda and shinko!

Yea, no kidding. My next KLR tire's going to be those Shinko 244s, $23 front & $40 rear and change'em out myself. From what I've heard, Shinko just buys the old discontinued model molds from more established makers so you don't have to pay for the R&D.

I'm going to see how these work out first before even considering them for the sport bikes.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Still no word from my R1 guy... I'm still hopeful but it looks like a bust at this point. If I can't reach him by Monday I'll be on the hunt again I guess.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Retarded Pimp posted:

Yea, no kidding. My next KLR tire's going to be those Shinko 244s, $23 front & $40 rear and change'em out myself. From what I've heard, Shinko just buys the old discontinued model molds from more established makers so you don't have to pay for the R&D.

I'm going to see how these work out first before even considering them for the sport bikes.

I liked my Shinko 003 Stealths on my F4i. The were cheap and worked fine on the street. I tracked them once and they got unpredictable towards the end of the day. So I would say they're fine for normal riding, anything more agressive you should get better tires.

They did wear out pretty quickly though the rear was gone in ~4000 miles IIRC

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I hate to wish that on anyone, even someone so obviously unhinged, but echoing the "I hope those girls feel like poo poo" sentiment. When that story broke it was pretty obvious that the motorcycle didn't loving ram their car. I bet they were loving with him being obnoxious and that's why he followed them.

Glad justice worked this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

I hate to dogpile on this, but gently caress that guy, he got what he deserved. You could smell the bullshit straight from the first news article about this, and I'm glad justice was done.