Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flamadiddle
May 9, 2004

I'm researching UK Universities' Contact Directories for work and think I just destroyed the University of Manchester's search site by searching for "*" in the contact directory. It churned for a while and now won't respond at all. Nevermind that it looks really vulnerable for SQL injection too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
How about "Coding annoyances: post the code that bothers you"

I see numbers needlessly defined in hex all the time.

E.g.
int numberOfApples = 0x05;

What's wrong with a simple
int numberOfApples = 5;

Pensive Goat
Dec 31, 2005

What's a hypotenuse?

Wheany posted:

E.g.

int numberOfApples = 5;

As long as it's a number under 16 it doesn't hurt readability very much.

Though I would be pretty pissed if I saw "int A_MILLION = 0xF4240;" without a very good reason.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

E.g.

int numberOfApples = 5;

'Cause what they're really typing is this: int numberOfApples = 0x05; :smug:

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!
The Prefuse (link) visualization library for Java is actually pretty neat. In its current setup, however, you end up registering data using a String identifier, indexing those data via that same identifier. Sounds pretty standard. Every field of that data is given a String name, too. Data gets nested in more data. Eventually, you end up with monstrous amounts of string constants
code:
public static final String DRAWGROUPS = "drawGroups";
public static final String DRAWFISHEYE = "drawFisheye";
public static final String DRAWFISHSIDE = "drawFisheyeSideSelector";
public static final String DRAWBUTTON = "drawContinueButton";
public static final String DRAWTIP = "drawTip";
and end up using statements like
code:
m_vis.putAction(Data.DRAWMAPDISTORTION, makeMapCenterDistortion(Data.CTR_GROUP));
item.getVisualization().add(Data.HOVERGROUP, t);
item.getVisualization().run(Data.DRAWHOVERCENTER);
So many constants. So many horrifying lines of code. All of Prefuse's tutorials / example code uses this strategy, too :(. Sigh.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
From the iPhone dev thread:

Unparagoned posted:

code:
char ddd[4];
for(int i=1; i<=NUMBEROFUNITS; i++)
	{

sprintf(ddd,"%d",i);
		[b]//printf("begining of LOOP");[/b]
		NSString *StemporyUnitInt=[NSString stringWithFormat: @"%s",
[unitOptionsSQL getSqlEntry: aaa select:cc from:bbb where:eee is:ddd]] ;
		printf("\n index %d", i);
		unitOptionList[i]=[StemporyUnitInt intValue];

}
EDIT: Looks like if I put the folowing at the start of the loop all workds fine. It's fustrating trying to find out what the problem is when everything I try fixes it.
char *testtt;
sprintf(testtt,"%d",i);
printf("testtt %s", testtt);

Jargon posted:

Haha when you pick your variable names do you just like hold down the last key like "one-one thousand, two-one thousand"?
That's too hard, you just copy and paste the code you need and then just add another char to the variables aa->aaa.

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

We employed a guy who was trying to learn Python. The code we had him working on was all text manipulation. We showed him the magic of python's printf-esque print statement and let him go.

He would do things like this:

code:
a = "some string"
print "%s" % a
His code caused me to have a migraine the first time I code reviewed it.

note: what he wrote isn't technically wrong but .. why not just do: "print a" ?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

spankweasel posted:

printf

why not just do: "print a" ?

If you've been doing c for long enough you start to get certain habits.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

fritz posted:

If you've been doing c for long enough you start to get certain habits.
edit: This post is retarded don't read it.

If you've been doing C for long enough you start to write code with format string vulnerabilities in it?

twodot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 5, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

twodot posted:

If you've been doing C for long enough you start to write code with format string vulnerabilities in it?

Congrats, you don't know printf.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

twodot posted:

Wait what?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
If print were actually printf, then print a would indeed have format-string vulnerabilities. But it isn't; the printf-like thing in that code is python's % operator, which is essentially sprintf.

EDIT: VV I think my reading is correct and twodot just doesn't understand the python code, but I will sharpen the idiot hat nonetheless.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 4, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

rjmccall posted:

If print were actually printf, then print a would indeed have format-string vulnerabilities. But it isn't; the printf-like thing in that code is python's % operator, which is essentially sprintf.

I think he is trying to assert that, in C, printf("%s",s); has a format-string vulnerability. Which is false.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
scanf("%s",f);printf(f); certainly has a format string vulnerability though. But in that context, no, none.

Unparagon posted:

pointer mishaps and SQL abuse
I am never downloading an app from the app store again.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The fact that you are printf'ing a string stored in a variable and not a literal means that the value could change in the future without even looking at or knowing about the existence of the printf in question. If it changes to a string which contains a %, it introduces undefined behaviour that could have easily been prevented. It even specifically states this in K&R (page 155).

On the other hand, there's no point in doing it in the python code since there's no vulnerability to start with.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

necrobobsledder posted:

OH GOD Unparagon's poorly named variables are going to magically corrupt all of your data and send your SSN to North Korea.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think he is trying to assert that, in C, printf("%s",s); has a format-string vulnerability. Which is false.
Sorry, I've been writing in C# for 6 months, and I'm apparently functionally retarded in C now.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Just now found a classic:
code:
i = (++i) % j;
...in 5 places in the same file.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Presto posted:

Just now found a classic:
code:
i = (++i) % j;
...in 5 places in the same file.

Well hey, at least it isn't
code:
i = (i++) % j;

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Volte posted:

The fact that you are printf'ing a string stored in a variable and not a literal means that the value could change in the future without even looking at or knowing about the existence of the printf in question. If it changes to a string which contains a %, it introduces undefined behaviour that could have easily been prevented. It even specifically states this in K&R (page 155).

On the other hand, there's no point in doing it in the python code since there's no vulnerability to start with.

But nobody did that. The only person that did was in the example above you. The Python code is 100% valid and safe, because the formatting part is a literal.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ran into this at work in a college's code. It took me a while to figure out what this was actually doing thanks to a very oddly overloaded operator(*) plus incredible terseness:

code:
for (++*i; **i; ++*i)
{
}

Chuu fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 9, 2009

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

ymgve posted:

But nobody did that. The only person that did was in the example above you. The Python code is 100% valid and safe, because the formatting part is a literal.

That was just an explanation how to possibly get it wrong in C, because defending against that is what the dude did in Python. The joke is not that the python guy did something unsafe, it is that he used formatting operations to protect against a danger that does not even come with Python's print function.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Chuu posted:

Ran into this at work in a college's code. It took me a while to figure out what this was actually doing thanks to a very oddly overloaded operator(*) plus incredible terseness:

code:
for (++*i; **i; ++*i)
{
}

What's going on here? What did he make his operators do?

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Steve French posted:

Well hey, at least it isn't
code:
i = (i++) % j;

Both statements have undefined behavior unless those are overloaded operators. Post or pre-increment doesn't matter, assuming C or C++, that is.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

That Turkey Story posted:

Both statements have undefined behavior unless those are overloaded operators. Post or pre-increment doesn't matter, assuming C or C++, that is.

I get why post/pre doesn't matter, but why is the overall behaviour undefined? To my (admittedly untrained) eyes, assuming i and j are numbers, that line increments i by one then ensures it didn't just grow larger than j, wrapping around to 0 if so. Did I get that wrong?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It just is undefined, since both the assignment itself and the ++ modify i, which is illegal because there is no sequence point inbetween.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

I get why post/pre doesn't matter, but why is the overall behaviour undefined? To my (admittedly untrained) eyes, assuming i and j are numbers, that line increments i by one then ensures it didn't just grow larger than j, wrapping around to 0 if so. Did I get that wrong?

With a few exceptions, the order of execution of side-effects within expressions is not specified in C/C++, so it is permitted for the increment to logically happen after the assignment. The major exceptions are the comma operator (left before right), the ternary operator (condition before chosen expression), and call-like operations (function and arguments (in any order) before call). (n.b. this list is not guaranteed to be exhaustive)

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

no this is not "who knows what the value of i is going to be afterwards", this is literally undefined behaviour

you do not have to argue why it is because it just says in the standard not to do that poo poo

j4cbo
Nov 1, 2004
huh?

Vanadium posted:

no this is not "who knows what the value of i is going to be afterwards", this is literally undefined behaviour

you do not have to argue why it is because it just says in the standard not to do that poo poo

oh poo poo guys demons just flew out of my nose what do i do

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I agree with you? But we can argue if you like, I am not picky. I just thought people might care why x = 7, ++x was well-defined and this wasn't.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

rjmccall posted:

With a few exceptions, the order of execution of side-effects within expressions is not specified in C/C++, so it is permitted for the increment to logically happen after the assignment. The major exceptions are the comma operator (left before right), the ternary operator (condition before chosen expression), and call-like operations (function and arguments (in any order) before call). (n.b. this list is not guaranteed to be exhaustive)

Thanks for the explanation.

Vanadium posted:

Calm down champ, nobody's trying to stir up poo poo but you. "Literally undefined behaviour" and "not specified in C/C++" mean the same thing to me, and either way I got the point: the result of this expression is not defined, and thus a coding horror. I didn't know it was undefined in C/C++ so I didn't see why it was a horror. Following along? Great.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Patashu posted:

What's going on here? What did he make his operators do?

i is a pointer to a custom iterator class. First operator is deference to get the actual iterator object. Second is to get the object the iterator is pointing to, which is NULL if it's out of range. ++ overloaded to increment the iterator's internal reference.

It's a pretty natural way to write the code if you know what's going on but it makes people who maintain your code want to stab you.

I am still a neophyte to C++ but seeing "++*x" is also a little offputting at first glance.

(I guess * isn't that oddly overloaded, but seriously, if you are going to write an iterator class, making it behave differently than STL iterators is a bad thing.)

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 11, 2009

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

necrobobsledder posted:

Unparagon posted:

pointer mishaps and SQL abuse

I admit my pointer understanding is a bit limited, could you explain the pointer mishaps.(I didn't even know I was using pointers, except for maybe for the nsstring).

Also what about the sql abuse?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Chuu posted:

(I guess * isn't that oddly overloaded, but seriously, if you are going to write an iterator class, making it behave differently than STL iterators is a bad thing.)

If it's different to STL iterators then it is wrong. There are well defined behaviors people are going to expect if it looks like an iterator, if these are violated anything could happen.

This is almost as bad as overloading && to delete it's arguments.

Seth Turtle
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Zombywuf posted:

This is almost as bad as overloading && to delete it's arguments.

Where do people come up with this insanity? Is it really that hard to code in a sane and understandable manner?

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
code:
-(void)visUpdate
{	
	int i=0;

int squareSel=[[myMap.basePosArray objectAtIndex:i]intValue]*myMap.mapSize+[[myMap.basePosArray objectAtIndex:i+1]intValue];

[myMap.visibilityArray replaceObjectAtIndex: (squareSel) withObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:1]];
[self visTexUpdateSquare:squareSel];

int squareNear=squareSel-1;
		if([[myMap.basePosArray objectAtIndex:i+1]intValue]>0)
		{
			[myMap.visibilityArray replaceObjectAtIndex: (squareNear) withObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:2]];
			[self visTexUpdateSquare:squareNear];
		}

squareNear=squareSel+1;
		if([[myMap.basePosArray objectAtIndex:i+1]intValue]<myMap.mapSize-1)
		{
			[myMap.visibilityArray replaceObjectAtIndex: (squareNear) withObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:2]];
		}
		squareNear=squareSel+myMap.mapSize;
		if([[myMap.basePosArray objectAtIndex:i]intValue]<myMap.mapSize-1)
		{

{
				[myMap.visibilityArray replaceObjectAtIndex: (squareNear+1) withObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:2]];
				[self visTexUpdateSquare:squareNear+1];
			}
			{
				[myMap.visibilityArray replaceObjectAtIndex: (squareNear-1) withObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:2]];
				[self visTexUpdateSquare:squareNear-1];
			}

}
		squareNear=squareSel-myMap.mapSize;
		if([[myMap.basePosArray objectAtIndex:i]intValue]>0)
		{

{
				[myMap.visibilityArray replaceObjectAtIndex: (squareNear+1) withObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:2]];
				[self visTexUpdateSquare:squareNear+1];
			}
			{
				[myMap.visibilityArray replaceObjectAtIndex: (squareNear-1) withObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:2]];
				[self visTexUpdateSquare:squareNear-1];
			}

}

}

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
So, what's it trying to do? It's too verbose...

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Seth Turtle posted:

Where do people come up with this insanity? Is it really that hard to code in a sane and understandable manner?

Given that people make functions called doit or run in Java, yes.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

Triple Tech posted:

So, what's it trying to do? It's too verbose...

1. There should be comments on what it actually does.

There is a map/grid, with an array with a single index. The function basically just finds all the squares next to a given square and performs a couple of functions on it.

It can be replaced with a couple of for loops and if statments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Unparagoned posted:

1. There should be comments on what it actually does.

There is a map/grid, with an array with a single index. The function basically just finds all the squares next to a given square and performs a couple of functions on it.

It can be replaced with a couple of for loops and if statments.

Not to mention the use of NSArray to store integers makes me want to scratch my eyes out, since it means you have to wrap them in NSNumbers and make everything even more verbose by boxing/unboxing them.

I refuse to actually look too closely at the code, but there's the potential for NSIndexSet to be a better fit here for a collection of integers.