Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Brannock posted:

I really wish Burlew wouldn't save his strips in .jpg. It makes the text blurry and hard to read.

It's a GIF, actually. The blurriness is just because the print's really small, I think. (Lack of colors to antialias with probably hurts too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Xykon there is packing level 12 spells, there. Good lord. For those of you who didn't read Start of Darkness, this is apparently how Xykon kills all of his epic-level spellcaster foes.

According to the SRD, a maximized Energy Drain is 8 negative levels, no saving throw.

Also, the fact that V isn't REALLY level 60 came to bite her in the rear end there--note the concentration checks.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Well, that sucks. Can't say I'm surprised though, from a narrative perspective V getting defeated and captured / killed is the only way this fight could end.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Maximized energy drain. GOD. drat. That's mean poo poo right there. For those of you who don't know, level drain literally takes away spells and maximum HP for at least 24 hours before V gets a save against permanent loss or a restoration.

V just lost at least 8 levels from the last one, meaning 40 max HP. For a wizard that's pretty lovely. Hopefully V knows when she's beat and gets the hell out of there before she/he dies. That or the Demons pluck her out before she dies because they don't want the souls to go romping around.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Seftir posted:

Maximized energy drain. GOD. drat. That's mean poo poo right there. For those of you who don't know, level drain literally takes away spells and maximum HP for at least 24 hours before V gets a save against permanent loss or a restoration.

V just lost at least 8 levels from the last one, meaning 40 max HP. For a wizard that's pretty lovely. Hopefully V knows when she's beat and gets the hell out of there before she/he dies. That or the Demons pluck her out before she dies because they don't want the souls to go romping around.

If the first energy drain only affected the spliced souls, then I imagine the same is true for the maximized one.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Well Goddamn.

V is right and proper hosed

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

oobey posted:

If the first energy drain only affected the spliced souls, then I imagine the same is true for the maximized one.

loving V even harder. No more epic stuff at all.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Mystic Mongol posted:

Xykon there is packing level 12 spells, there. Good lord. For those of you who didn't read Start of Darkness, this is apparently how Xykon kills all of his epic-level spellcaster foes.

13th level. Xykon isn't low-epic anymore. More like 30th level.

I wonder. Was V dumb enough to challenge a lich without Death Ward up via Limited Wish or something, or did it just not protect the other two in the splice?

Who in theory should have been powered up by an infusion of negative energy, being dead and all.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deathWard.htm

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Donraj posted:

13th level.

"The SRD online posted:

A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

Twelve, I'm afraid.

As for the prep time, I think V was relying on the surprise round / timestop, and hadn't considered the possibility that there would be contingencies set up to kill a teleporting assassin even within the anti-teleportation field.

I think I'll read up on epic level spellcasting, find out just what all this says about Xykon.

E: He's been seen to cast epic spells (Cloister, I believe it was called) and he has at least one level 12 spell slot, which puts him in at 4 epic feats... Epic Spellcasting once, and Improved Spell Capacity three times. So assuming that Xykon pulled out his biggest, meanest spell (a fair assumption) and that he didn't take any other epic feats (more of a stretch) he's either level 26 or 27. Plus, you know, lich.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 11, 2009

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I love Xykon knocking the souls for being stupid enough to die and go to hell. Its such a weird and awesome taunt to prelude his inevitable loving Vaarsuvius' poo poo up.

This is why he's my favorite character, and why I'm tempted to actually buy Start of Darkness.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Do it. If you like Xykon, you'll love SoD. He does very interesting things.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Wolfsheim posted:

I love Xykon knocking the souls for being stupid enough to die and go to hell. Its such a weird and awesome taunt to prelude his inevitable loving Vaarsuvius' poo poo up.

This is why he's my favorite character, and why I'm tempted to actually buy Start of Darkness.

DO IT. Xykon's simple backstory, and his ending monologue, are more than worth it on their own, let alone Redcloak's much more emotional stuff.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I was distracted a bit by Xykon kicking rear end up and down the page, so I didn't notice a little aside from Redcloak--not only did he recognize a soul splice by seeing it, he chided himself for not having realized what it was sooner. This is despite the fiends saying it was a, "once a century," thing, so rare that V hadn't even heard about it in her quest for ultimate arcane power.

Xykon caught on pretty quickly, too. I guess the two of them have spent serious time investigating the various evil routes to power?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Mystic Mongol posted:

Twelve, I'm afraid.

As for the prep time, I think V was relying on the surprise round / timestop, and hadn't considered the possibility that there would be contingencies set up to kill a teleporting assassin even within the anti-teleportation field.

My bad. I could have sworn it was four levels.

Still remarkably bad judgement on V's part.

quote:

I was distracted a bit by Xykon kicking rear end up and down the page, so I didn't notice a little aside from Redcloak--not only did he recognize a soul splice by seeing it, he chided himself for not having realized what it was sooner. This is despite the fiends saying it was a, "once a century," thing, so rare that V hadn't even heard about it in her quest for ultimate arcane power.

Also very true. Unforeseen consequences from dealing with fiends? Nah.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Mystic Mongol posted:

E: He's been seen to cast epic spells (Cloister, I believe it was called) and he has at least one level 12 spell slot, which puts him in at 4 epic feats... Epic Spellcasting once, and Improved Spell Capacity three times. So assuming that Xykon pulled out his biggest, meanest spell (a fair assumption) and that he didn't take any other epic feats (more of a stretch) he's either level 26 or 27. Plus, you know, lich.

Cloister was cast from an item.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Vaarsuvius, this is what happens when you get overconfident. I hope we've all learned a lesson from this.

Edit: This is what happens, Vaarsuvius! This is what happens when you get overconfident about a lich! You see this? You see this, Vaarsuvius? This is what happens! This is what happens, Vaarsuvius! This is what happens when you get overconfident about a lich!

(punctuate rant with Energy Drains as you see fit)

ZorbaTHut fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 11, 2009

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I love Xykon so much right now. V was overconfident, and why wouldn't he be? And he's paying for it. I hope we get to see Xykon pull off a cool Epic Spell of his own.

Still I have a feeling V has enough juice in him to put Xykon in a bad enough position that we'll get to see the monster in the dark, maybe with a call back to the first time Xykon tried unveiling him.

For those of you who are saying V should escape, well, he can't 'cause he hasn't got any epic spells remaining and the city is still cloistered. Now doesn't he feel stupid for casting Epic Teleportation three times.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
I believe the effects of cloister only make it so you can't teleport IN. V should be able to teleport OUT (like for a subway sammitch).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeah, V's probably going to say "gently caress it" and get out of there. Possibly zap Redcloak first, I fancy.

EDIT: Oh, and how long does Shapeshift last? If all else fails, he could just turn into an Iron Golem or something and go from there.

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 11, 2009

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Affi posted:

Still I have a feeling V has enough juice in him to put Xykon in a bad enough position that we'll get to see the monster in the dark, maybe with a call back to the first time Xykon tried unveiling him.

What makes you think that? V tops out at level 7 spells. Both splices took enough negative levels to lose all their epic slots, and then eight more each on top. We're left with a mid-level adventuring party that can only take one action a round, and the clerics are just standing back clapping politely.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Affi posted:

I love Xykon so much right now. V was overconfident, and why wouldn't he be? And he's paying for it. I hope we get to see Xykon pull off a cool Epic Spell of his own.
I'm pretty much loving Xykon too. I think we've seen his Epic Spell though - Maximized Energy Drain. That's about as mean as anything I've seen a GM do.

New question: is V responsible for damages to the spliced souls? With each one being returned (at least) twelve levels weaker than they were loaned out, I think the fiends could make a legitimate claim. That's far beyond the normal wear and tear one would associate with a normal rental.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

bartolimu posted:

I'm pretty much loving Xykon too. I think we've seen his Epic Spell though - Maximized Energy Drain. That's about as mean as anything I've seen a GM do.

New question: is V responsible for damages to the spliced souls? With each one being returned (at least) twelve levels weaker than they were loaned out, I think the fiends could make a legitimate claim. That's far beyond the normal wear and tear one would associate with a normal rental.

The level loss is only permanent if they fail their saving throw; it's just the negative levels they carry around until they can make a save drops the spells they can cast.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

the car rental place still charges you an arm and a leg if you bring the car back with less fuel than it started with. and these are infernal bureaucrats.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

bison wings posted:

the car rental place still charges you an arm and a leg if you bring the car back with less fuel than it started with. and these are infernal bureaucrats.

They could be real dicks about it too. "Alright, so we they came back down ten levels, so we get your soul for the time you were spliced plus the time it takes you to gain ten levels."

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Geshtal posted:

They could be real dicks about it too. "Alright, so we they came back down ten levels, so we get your soul for the time you were spliced plus the time it takes you to gain ten levels."

Not in the contract. There was no clause about the condition the souls were supposed to be returned in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Aren't Epic Spells and greater-than-level-9 slots separate issues?

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Zereth posted:

Aren't Epic Spells and greater-than-level-9 slots separate issues?

Yes. Two different feats, the latter giving you actual level 10+ slots to cast out of, and the former giving you a number of castings per day based on Knowledge ranks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
While probably not true it would be pretty cool if V did this on purpose, and gets the souls he is spliced with level-drained to nothing before sending them back to hell as some kind of out to his contract based on... something. I find that highly doubtful of course.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Hey, if he has no ranks in Knowledge (religion)...

(Just bulshitting)
You joke, but my DM has pulled this poo poo on me for no less than recognizing ghouls on sight and zombies by sound. loving GHOULS and ZOMBIES. And I had even fought zombies before with that character!

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Oracle posted:

You joke, but my DM has pulled this poo poo on me for no less than recognizing ghouls on sight and zombies by sound. loving GHOULS and ZOMBIES. And I had even fought zombies before with that character!

As a DM, I can tell you one good reason to make people roll a checks for zombie noises. At one point I had a drunk staggering out of a bar, moaning a bit, who was promptly murdered by a paladin. Paladin lost his powers, started a huge bitch-fest in the party about it. So now I have to make people roll to identify zombies.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Cuchulain posted:

As a DM, I can tell you one good reason to make people roll a checks for zombie noises. At one point I had a drunk staggering out of a bar, moaning a bit, who was promptly murdered by a paladin. Paladin lost his powers, started a huge bitch-fest in the party about it. So now I have to make people roll to identify zombies.

That's hilarious. I can just picture some drunk shambling out the door all "Faithandbegorrah... sshafffuck.... ohhhmabrain urrkblrgh..." and a passing Paladin suddenly lunges at him screaming "ZOMBIES! YOU HAVE TO DESTROY THE HEAD!" before decapitating him. Was the paladin's whole family eaten by zombies or something in his backstory?

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Cuchulain posted:

Quick anecdote: The master describes the creature I see in a room as "A very pale, tall man dressed in aristocratic clothing" I roll, getting the description narrowed to: "looks undead". My Bard jumps out of the window screaming "Vamp!" like a maniac.
It was a "freshly zombiefied rich guy"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

At one point I had a drunk staggering out of a bar, moaning a bit, who was promptly murdered by a paladin. Paladin lost his powers, started a huge bitch-fest in the party about it. So now I have to make people roll to identify zombies.
This was in a barred, locked dungeon below a keep that had been abandoned for thirty years and had been recently reoccupied. We were charged with cleaning the place out.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

maybe the moaning was coming from a kid left in the dungeon as part of a ye olde fraternity prank.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Oracle posted:

To be fair, how do you immediately tell the difference between a zombie, ghoul, wight, and vampire? I mean, assuming that it's dark and they're dirty, as they're likely to be.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, how do you immediately tell the difference between a zombie, ghoul, wight, and vampire? I mean, assuming that it's dark and they're dirty, as they're likely to be.

Preliminary nutshot; if they crumple in a heap, cursing your name, then it's not a zombie.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Shyrka posted:

That's hilarious. I can just picture some drunk shambling out the door all "Faithandbegorrah... sshafffuck.... ohhhmabrain urrkblrgh..." and a passing Paladin suddenly lunges at him screaming "ZOMBIES! YOU HAVE TO DESTROY THE HEAD!" before decapitating him. Was the paladin's whole family eaten by zombies or something in his backstory?

No, he was just an idiot. Then the other Paladin in the party killed him for his unrepentant murder. Good times, gooood times.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Cabbit posted:

Preliminary nutshot; if they crumple in a heap, cursing your name, then it's not a zombie.

Poor man's "detect evil".

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Cuchulain posted:

No, he was just an idiot. Then the other Paladin in the party killed him for his unrepentant murder. Good times, gooood times.

Should have stripped him of his powers too for added hilarity!

(don't turn into an alignment argument don't turn into an alignment argument don't turn into an alignment argument)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

ZorbaTHut posted:

Poor man's "detect evil".

A Fighter in the same party from my story had a small knife he kept around to weed out spies, actually. He would stab people and see what deity they shouted.

quote:

Should have stripped him of his powers too for added hilarity!
The Second Paladin was actually the Paladin of Freedom variant from Unearthed Arcana, so he got away with poo poo like that all the time. I loved that character.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 13, 2009