Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
I understand the arguments for keeping video comments and photo comments in separate tables, but consider the benefit you gain when doing things like searching all comments or more generally selecting all comments that meet a certain criteria (e.g., all comments posted by some user). In these cases I think it makes more sense to have all comments in one table. Although, then there is still the problem of selecting the video or photo that matches up with the comment - and the only way I can think of is performing a left join on both tables (photos and videos) and just having one be null for every result row. This isn't a big deal when selecting between only videos and photos, but imagine an extreme case where there are not just 2 types of items with comments, but 30 - that means 30 joins where 29 are null on every row. There must be a better solution that I am missing.

supster fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
The solution is to stop treating them the same. It isn't one pool of comments with two types. It's two seperate concepts which at some philosophical level happen to both be comments. All your headaches go away the more you treat them as two totally seperate things.

There's nothing super compelling here regarding your need to make them subclasses, other than your desire to fetch them all in one go, which isn't worth it.

Two queries, done.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

quote:

Although, then there is still the problem of selecting the video or photo that matches up with the comment - and the only way I can think of is performing a left join on both tables (photos and videos) and just having one be null for every result row. This isn't a big deal when selecting between only videos and photos, but imagine an extreme case where there are not just 2 types of items with comments, but 30 - that means 30 joins where 29 are null on every row. There must be a better solution that I am missing.

I think it all boils down to the requirements questions:

1. How many types of attachments are there? Do you anticipate adding more types?

2. What are their attributes?

Say there are 30 very distinct types stored in 30 tables. Then writing a query to get all the threads, comments, and attachments will involve joining at least 30 tables regardless of how you model Comments. edit: having a 30+ table join is to obviously to be avoided...

I'm guessing there won't be 30 distinct types though. It may make sense when the types are similar to store more than one type in the same table, perhaps with a column for MIME type/Content-type.

If the number of types is reasonably small then using a single table has significant advantages.

Bad Titty Puker fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 11, 2009

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH

camels posted:

I'm guessing there won't be 30 distinct types though. It may make sense when the types are similar to store more than one type in the same table, perhaps with a column for MIME type/Content-type.

If the number of types is reasonably small then using a single table has significant advantages.

I think you're right and that this is the best solution. I could easily combine the photo and video tables into one media table with a type column and another two tables for video-specific or photo-specific attributes that would only be joined when retrieving only videos or only photos. And in reality there will be 5 different types of commentable items and this paradigm should work well with those as well. Thanks.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Is there ever a reason to have an index on a column that does not provide a high level of uniqueness? Like let's say we have an employees table keyed and clustered by id, since single user lookups are common. But in another scenario we want to select a group of users by their department_id. If this were joined to the departments table, would the index be

A) employees.department_id
B) employees.department_id, employees.id

The second index is much more unique than the first (actually, totally unique).

I ask because I'm currently using scenario A and wondering if that's the source of my current bottleneck (and I'm testing right now as well).

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I'm in the market for a new job. Mostly I do PHP/MySQL stuff but I see adds for a DBA. What all does being a DBA entail? I know how to manage a MySQL server, write queries, optimize them, etc., but I'm sure there's more involved in being a DBA. What kind of things should I know?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Golbez posted:

What kind of things should I know?

Everything there is to know about a database. The needs depend on the size of the company. If it's a smaller company, you pretty much need to know everything everything (but their needs will be less specific). If it's a larger company, you might have a head DBA, a lot of minion DBAs, and a domain expert (a guy that actually knows how the model relates to its implementation in the database).

You probably won't be doing any PHP development or even writing developer/user-level queries. Usually you're rewriting other people's lovely queries or optimizing the server. You control how poo poo like indexes and databases are implemented. You demand what kind of hardware the database sits on.

So... Yeah, it's not a development job. It's 100% dedicated to the tuning and administration of a high performance database. Tracking statistics, keeping backups, running disaster recovery scenarios, etc...

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

Triple Tech posted:

Is there ever a reason to have an index on a column that does not provide a high level of uniqueness? Like let's say we have an employees table keyed and clustered by id, since single user lookups are common. But in another scenario we want to select a group of users by their department_id. If this were joined to the departments table, would the index be

A) employees.department_id
B) employees.department_id, employees.id

The second index is much more unique than the first (actually, totally unique).

I ask because I'm currently using scenario A and wondering if that's the source of my current bottleneck (and I'm testing right now as well).

For DBMSes such as Oracle and SQL Server, the rule of thumb is that if the selectivity of an index isn't at least 5% (edit that is, 5% or less), the optimizer will avoid using it. What you might want to do is to make sure the statistics are up to date, and then run a trace to get the query execution plan that was actually used when the database engine processed the queries. That will tell you if the optimizer chose to use your index. You might also want to take a look at the distribution of department_id in employees & figure out how selective the index is.

Bad Titty Puker fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 12, 2009

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

Triple Tech posted:

Everything there is to know about a database. The needs depend on the size of the company. If it's a smaller company, you pretty much need to know everything everything (but their needs will be less specific). If it's a larger company, you might have a head DBA, a lot of minion DBAs, and a domain expert (a guy that actually knows how the model relates to its implementation in the database).

You probably won't be doing any PHP development or even writing developer/user-level queries. Usually you're rewriting other people's lovely queries or optimizing the server. You control how poo poo like indexes and databases are implemented. You demand what kind of hardware the database sits on.

So... Yeah, it's not a development job. It's 100% dedicated to the tuning and administration of a high performance database. Tracking statistics, keeping backups, running disaster recovery scenarios, etc...

Data warehousing & OLAP is also a very valuable skill set to have. One more to look for is experience with ETL, importing and exporting data, scrubbing data, etc. You don't have to know data warehousing to land a DBA job, but even if a company doesn't do warehousing now, if you know what you're doing you might be able to get one started. ETL is pretty much a must-have skill; at least from my experience, I've used it in every company I've worked for.

IMO data modeling and database design is also a key skill. Depending on the job, you may be responsible for - reviewing all the DDL code; designing new database objects (tables, stored procedures, views, etc.- or even whole schemas); compiling a data dictionary; diagramming and documenting, etc.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

camels posted:

Data warehousing & OLAP is also a very valuable skill set to have. One more to look for is experience with ETL, importing and exporting data, scrubbing data, etc. You don't have to know data warehousing to land a DBA job, but even if a company doesn't do warehousing now, if you know what you're doing you might be able to get one started. ETL is pretty much a must-have skill; at least from my experience, I've used it in every company I've worked for.

IMO data modeling and database design is also a key skill. Depending on the job, you may be responsible for - reviewing all the DDL code; designing new database objects (tables, stored procedures, views, etc.- or even whole schemas); compiling a data dictionary; diagramming and documenting, etc.

Since I have no clue what any of these terms mean, I guess I'll pass on DBA jobs. :)

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

Golbez posted:

Since I have no clue what any of these terms mean, I guess I'll pass on DBA jobs. :)

Since I want to add DBA experience to my CV I had better get some basic answers about JOINS

This is going to be a 'help me with my homework' post.

I still cannot figure out joins. They are absolutely essential to doing anything with SQL, and I'm stuck. All I understand is that it is about matching the foreign key from one table to the primary key of another table. I managed to fluke my way through a basic one, but anything more than two tables is causing me problems. I would really appreciate any advice offered.

Using Oracle 11g:

List the TourID and Staff Member's Name for all tours that occurred in the February of 2003.

code:
SELECT tour.tourid, 
       staff.staffname 
FROM   tour 
       INNER JOIN staff 
         ON staff.staffid = tour.staffid 
            AND whentourstart BETWEEN '1-FEB-2003' AND '28-FEB-2003';
This worked fine.

Find the total dollar amount of daily-equipment-rentals for each tour.
Now is where I get stuck. I can't even get the joins to work, let alone extract any information to answer the question.

code:
SELECT   tour.tourid, 
         rental.rentalid, 
         product_rental.rentalid, 
         product_rental.productid, 
         product.productid 
FROM     tour, 
         rental, 
         product, 
         product_rental 
         INNER JOIN rental 
           ON tour.tourid = rental.tourid 
         INNER JOIN product_rental 
           ON rental.rentalid = product_rental.rentalid 
         INNER JOIN product_rental 
           ON product.productid = product_rental.productid
This returns ERROR at line 4: ORA-00904: "TOUR"."TOURID": invalid identifier

OK so I'll try a different approach:
code:
SELECT tour.tourid, 
       rental.rentalid, 
       product_rental.rentalid, 
       product.productid 
FROM   tour a, 
       rental b, 
       product_rental c, 
       product d 
WHERE  a.tourid = b.tourid 
       AND b.rentalid = c.rentalid 
       AND d.productid = c.productid;
Same (?) error, different place: ERROR at line 1: ORA-00904: "PRODUCT"."PRODUCTID": invalid identifier

The slides with my course are not very helpful, and the best tutorial I can find is at w3schools but it doesn't go into joins of more than two tables. I've been banging my head for the last few hours. Can anyone help?

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gap In The Tooth posted:

code:
SELECT tour.tourid, 
       rental.rentalid, 
       product_rental.rentalid, 
       product.productid 
FROM   tour a, 
       rental b, 
       product_rental c, 
       product d 
Same (?) error, different place: ERROR at line 1: ORA-00904: "PRODUCT"."PRODUCTID": invalid identifier

You're aliasing the table names in the FROM clause, so you have to use the aliases in the SELECT clause.

code:
SELECT a.tourid, 
       b.rentalid, 
       c.rentalid, 
       c.productid, 
       d.productid 
FROM   tour a, 
       rental b, 
       product_rental c, 
       product d 
Some tips:

1. Use meaningful abbreviations for table aliases instead of a, b, c, d...

2. In this query:

code:
SELECT tour.tourid, 
       staff.staffname 
FROM   tour 
       INNER JOIN staff 
            AND whentourstart BETWEEN '1-FEB-2003' AND '28-FEB-2003';
Separate the filter criteria from the join criteria:

code:
SELECT 
  tour.tourid, 
  staff.staffname 
FROM   
  tour 
INNER JOIN 
   staff 
WHERE
  whentourstart BETWEEN '20030201' AND '20030228';
and use Standard SQL/ISO date format (YYYYMMDD): '20030201' and '20030228'

edit: Also, qualify all the referenced columns with the table name. Preserving case of data element names is a good practice for readbility as well.

code:
SELECT 
  Tour.TourID, 
  Staff.StaffName 
FROM   
  Tour 
INNER JOIN 
  Staff 
  ON Staff.StaffID = Tour.StaffID
WHERE
  Tour.whenTourStart BETWEEN '20030201' AND '20030228';
Here I qualified "whenTourStart" with its table name: "Tour.whenTourStart".

Bad Titty Puker fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 12, 2009

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Gap In The Tooth posted:

All I understand is that it is about matching the foreign key from one table to the primary key of another table.

This isn't really true. It might be true like 95% of the time for "natural" joins, but it's not true for what joins actually are.

When I get to work I'll write up a post summarizing joins.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

camels posted:

Awesome advice

Love for you right now. The incorrect aliasing was indeed causing the error. If I add d.rentalpriceperday under SELECT and add ORDER BY a.tourid; to the end, I get close to what the question requires (total dollar amount of equipment rentals for each tour):

They want the total of RentalPricePerDay for each instance of TourID. I'm thinking that SUM(), or maybe COUNT() needs to come into play here. I'm going to poke around my noob brain for a while.

Many thanks again for the pointers.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Find the total dollar amount of daily-equipment-rentals for each tour. Make sure you also display those tour(s) that did not involve any equipment. Sort by ascending TourID.

code:
SELECT a.tourid, 
/* All of this was unnecessary and getting in the way.
       b.rentalid, 
       c.rentalid, 
       c.productid, 
       d.productid, */
       SUM(d.rentalpriceperday)
FROM   tour a, 
       rental b, 
       product_rental c, 
       product d 
       AND d.productid = c.productid
GROUP BY a.tourid
ORDER BY a.tourid;

Basically I just learned that you don't need to select so much stuff when you're joining.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

I was initially writing up something about joins and then quickly realized how it was getting really complex... That and my example was pretty terrible. Do you guys still need help on joins or are you okay?

aslewofmice
Dec 22, 2003
I need to replace all backslashes to forward-slashes in a character field. I'm using the following command but I keep getting an error:

code:
update properties set imageLink = replace(imageLink,'\','\/');
Anybody see a problem with this?

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

ABombInABowl posted:

I need to replace all backslashes to forward-slashes in a character field. I'm using the following command but I keep getting an error:

code:
update properties set imageLink = replace(imageLink,'\','\/');
Anybody see a problem with this?

code:
UPDATE 
  Properties 
SET 
  imageLink = REPLACE(imageLink, '\', '/');
It looks like you're trying to use a backslash character to escape the forward slash in the string_replacement, but it's not necessary.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

Triple Tech posted:

I was initially writing up something about joins and then quickly realized how it was getting really complex... That and my example was pretty terrible. Do you guys still need help on joins or are you okay?

I think the Wikipedia article about SQL joins is actually pretty good (but the article on relational databases is terrible).

In addition to the JOINs in SQL statements are the joins used by the query engine. Understanding these is helpful to optimizing SQL statements. I think Wikipedia does a decent job of explaining them as well, but I like Microsoft's explanations (which I believe is not SQL Server specific):

edit: This info is somewhat advanced; it probably is useful only if you are already optimizing queries, analyzing query execution plans, and so on.

Nested Loop Join (Microsoft)
Hash Join (Microsoft)
Merge Join (Microsoft)

Nested Loop Join (Wikipedia)
Hash Join (Wikipedia)
Merge Join (Wikipedia)

Bad Titty Puker fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 14, 2009

SHODAN
Feb 20, 2001

NARCISSISTIC QUEEN BITCH:
ASK ME ABOUT BEING BETTER THAN YOU
Is there a way to get the date/time of a record insertion in MySQL?

philihp
Jun 1, 2008

SHODAN posted:

Is there a way to get the date/time of a record insertion in MySQL?

Create a field with the type "timestamp". Whenever that row is inserted or updated, the column will be updated.

Flamadiddle
May 9, 2004

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Find the total dollar amount of daily-equipment-rentals for each tour. Make sure you also display those tour(s) that did not involve any equipment. Sort by ascending TourID.

code:
SELECT a.tourid, 
/* All of this was unnecessary and getting in the way.
       b.rentalid, 
       c.rentalid, 
       c.productid, 
       d.productid, */
       SUM(d.rentalpriceperday)
FROM   tour a, 
       rental b, 
       product_rental c, 
       product d 
       AND d.productid = c.productid
GROUP BY a.tourid
ORDER BY a.tourid;
Basically I just learned that you don't need to select so much stuff when you're joining.

I'm not sure, but I think you wanted an outer join on some of that data, rather than an inner join as it states that you need to include tours that did not involve any equipment. Those tours may not appear in the rental tables, so an inner join wouldn't return anything. It seems like all the data you got out was for tours which did have equipment hires. This may be a fluke.

Flamadiddle fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 18, 2009

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Need help on this MySQL query...

Here is my table:

key_table
code:
keyid  papid  userid
4 	7 	0
2 	1 	0
1 	2 	0
2 	2 	0
3 	2 	0
6 	2 	0
7 	19 	0
3 	19 	0
2 	3 	0
1 	0 	1
2 	0 	1
2 	0 	2
3 	0 	2
What I'm trying to figure out is how to setup a query that will check for a papid (lets say 2), get the keyid's associated to that papid (which would be 1,2,3,6), then pull all userid's that also have that keyid (which would output 1,1,2,2).

Any ideas on how to setup a query to do this?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

philihp posted:

Create a field with the type "timestamp". Whenever that row is inserted or updated, the column will be updated.

I'd recommend against using a timestamp in MySQL, and instead use Date/Time, check out this article: http://www.dbtuna.com/article.asp?id=36

(Summarizes that date/time is about 50% faster to query, even with a larger disk space footprint)

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

I'd like to know more about your data model, it sounds a little suspect. Otherwise, it's just a join, where you happen to be joining on the same table you're looking up.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Triple Tech posted:

I'd like to know more about your data model, it sounds a little suspect. Otherwise, it's just a join, where you happen to be joining on the same table you're looking up.

I could split this one table into two, but I figured I could keep it running faster using this query since its just hitting the same table (.....maybe?).

Here is the furthest I've got with the query:

code:
SELECT keyid  AS keyid,
       userid AS userid
FROM   key_table
WHERE  papid = '2'
AND    userid = keyid
This pulls up a blank result, but I can't figure out what I'm missing. Or am I totally wrong in thinking this could speed up the query and should separate the table?

indulgenthipster fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 18, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Triple Tech posted:

Doesn't joining a table on itself mean there's a normal form violation of some sort or is there a legit reason to do this?

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

For such a thin table, you are almost absolutely optimizing way too prematurely. Speed isn't really a concern with such a low/thin amount of data.

And no, self joining doesn't automatically signal a problem. It's just wonky at times. All the times I've seen self joining done was for some sort of hierarchical data, which I personally feel relational models are horrible for ("parent_id" would be the type of signal you're looking for). I can't think of any great examples right now but a self join isn't inherently evil. It's mostly obtuse and awkward and something that should be looked at with great care.

Vince McMahon
Dec 18, 2003

VerySolidSnake posted:

Here is my table:

key_table
code:
keyid  papid  userid
4 	7 	0
2 	1 	0
1 	2 	0
2 	2 	0
3 	2 	0
6 	2 	0
7 	19 	0
3 	19 	0
2 	3 	0
1 	0 	1
2 	0 	1
2 	0 	2
3 	0 	2
What I'm trying to figure out is how to setup a query that will check for a papid (lets say 2), get the keyid's associated to that papid (which would be 1,2,3,6), then pull all userid's that also have that keyid (which would output 1,1,2,2).

I can't tell if userid = 0 means non-existant or something, so try this and remove the >0 bit if it's not necessary
code:
SELECT kt.keyid, 
       lj.userid 
FROM key_table kt 
INNER JOIN (SELECT keyid, userid FROM key_table) as lj 
ON kt.keyid = lj.keyid 

WHERE kt.papid = 2 
AND lj.userid > 0;

MoNsTeR
Jun 29, 2002

VerySolidSnake posted:

I could split this one table into two, but I figured I could keep it running faster using this query since its just hitting the same table (.....maybe?).
It will be accessing a second logical copy of the table, which for most intents and purposes is just like accessing a second table (or rather, accessing the first table a second time). 99% of the time you're better off normalizing.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

MoNsTeR posted:

It will be accessing a second logical copy of the table, which for most intents and purposes is just like accessing a second table (or rather, accessing the first table a second time). 99% of the time you're better off normalizing.

Uhh, this is an implementation detail, so possibly false (if you meant each pass incurs a disk read). If the engine knows that you're accessing all the columns (and it's page reader probably will since the fields are adjacent to one another), it will have all the data available in one pass.

:siren: Nota bene across the board: The way you write a query and what it actually does behind the scenes are two totally different things. :siren:

MoNsTeR
Jun 29, 2002

Triple Tech posted:

Uhh, this is an implementation detail, so possibly false (if you meant each pass incurs a disk read). If the engine knows that you're accessing all the columns (and it's page reader probably will since the fields are adjacent to one another), it will have all the data available in one pass.

:siren: Nota bene across the board: The way you write a query and what it actually does behind the scenes are two totally different things. :siren:

Well sure, your particular DBMS may be able to make that optimization. Oracle doesn't though, so I doubt it. Either way the second read will be cached and thus faster, but that's beside the point.

The point is that modeling your data in a goofy way in pursuit of phantom performance gains is not a good idea. The way you write a query and how it gets executed may be different but they are not unrelated. IMHO you have to prove the performance gains are both Real and Significant before abandoning normalization.

FWIW you can often eliminate self-joins in queries such as this using analytic/window functions but those are Oracle specific. And still not a good reason to denormalize.

var1ety
Jul 26, 2004
Speaking of analytic and windowing functions, did anyone else catch that PostgreSQL's current beta (8.4) added support for them?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/tutorial-window.html

I always single out Oracle and SQL Server for supporting them, so it's very exciting to see them added to a free DBMS.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

VerySolidSnake posted:

Here is my table:

key_table
code:
keyid  papid  userid
4 	7 	0
2 	1 	0
1 	2 	0
2 	2 	0
3 	2 	0
6 	2 	0
7 	19 	0
3 	19 	0
2 	3 	0
1 	0 	1
2 	0 	1
2 	0 	2
3 	0 	2

As other people have pointed out, you may have more of a DDL problem than anything else. What entities and relationships are you modeling?

What is 'key_table'?

'keyid'?

'papid'?

'userid'?

Are you modeling hierarchical data?

Please post DDL, including keys and indexes -- that makes it easier to give useful advice.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

var1ety posted:

Speaking of analytic and windowing functions, did anyone else catch that PostgreSQL's current beta (8.4) added support for them?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/tutorial-window.html

I always single out Oracle and SQL Server for supporting them, so it's very exciting to see them added to a free DBMS.

Yeah, I saw that too. :c00l: I went from Oracle projects to MySQL and am still suffering withdrawal of not being able to use MERGE statements and analytic functions.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

VerySolidSnake posted:

I'd recommend against using a timestamp in MySQL, and instead use Date/Time, check out this article: http://www.dbtuna.com/article.asp?id=36

(Summarizes that date/time is about 50% faster to query, even with a larger disk space footprint)
Will datetime update automatically?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Golbez posted:

Will datetime update automatically?

Not automatically, but can be done easily.

As for my table, I ended up breaking it up into two different tables. I altered the name of the table for my original post, it is a keyword_assign table, where the keyid links to a keyword_name table (which has keyid and keyword columns). Planning on large amounts of scalability and many instances of the same keywords I went this route (also, much faster to search the table VIA a number for matches instead of a string, that may also be UTF8). I split the keyword_assign table into keyword_paper and keyword_userid, the join ended up being MUCH more straightforward.

Thanks for the input!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MoNsTeR posted:

FWIW you can often eliminate self-joins in queries such as this using analytic/window functions but those are Oracle specific. And still not a good reason to denormalize.

Ah, so THATS why I've never had to use a self-join!

Anyway, DB2 has window functions, and they have saved my bacon repeatedly. Adding another layer to the SQL is SO MUCH faster then doing a separate query. I love them so much that I'm gonna do a clinic for the reporting team on how to use them (because the documentation sucks).

MoNsTeR
Jun 29, 2002

Good to see window functions are more commonly available than I thought. Along the same lines, does anyone other than Oracle support syntax of the form:

some_aggregate_function(foo) keep(dense_rank last order by bar)

...which executes some_aggregate_function over the set of rows that are "last" (or "first") in a dense_rank over the given order by clause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
This is driving me nuts, and i know *why* its happening, but not a way around it.

Consider Table A
code:
KEY1  KEY2     FAX1  FAX2
00111   A222   123   987
00111   A333   123      
12555   A666   143   521
12555   A668   234   521
and table2
code:
KEY1   KEY2     FAX
00111    A222   123
00111    A333   232
12555    A666   521
12555    A668   634
[code]

I want to pull every record from table 'a' where the fax in table b does NOT equal fax1 or fax2

select * from tableb
inner join tableb on tablea.key1 = tableb.key1 and tablea.key2 = tableb.key2
where (tableb.fax != tablea.fax1 or tableb.fax != tablea.fax2)

I understand that TRUE OR FALSE returns TRUE.. but I don't want it to.  The expected result should be:

[code]
00111   A333   123
12555   A668   234   521
Did i explain this enough? What is the proper work around ?