Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

anotherone posted:

This "Doing DaVinci" show would be so much more interesting if the old guy didn't bicker about every single little thing. They could cut out all of the drama breaks and show more actually testing the machines.

This should should really be cut to half an hour long, and the next episode should be some sort of DiVinci torture machine that kills the old guy. Then it would be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous
Does the whole conflicting personalities thing really entertain anyone? Some shows specifically choose cast-members that they know will not get along just so they can add that element. I've gotten to the point where I can't stand to watch a show where the people involved are always bitching at each other.

It's just not loving entertaining, Discovery. I'd rather see a show like Doing DaVinci where the people involved were competent, professional, and got poo poo done without spending half the episode whining at each other like they're in grade school.

It's the projects that are interesting, seeing them work, seeing what goes into making it work, not listening to a bunch of little sissys whine about their sandy vaginas and whose fault it is.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Karthillion posted:

Does the whole conflicting personalities thing really entertain anyone? Some shows specifically choose cast-members that they know will not get along just so they can add that element. I've gotten to the point where I can't stand to watch a show where the people involved are always bitching at each other.

It's just not loving entertaining, Discovery. I'd rather see a show like Doing DaVinci where the people involved were competent, professional, and got poo poo done without spending half the episode whining at each other like they're in grade school.

It's the projects that are interesting, seeing them work, seeing what goes into making it work, not listening to a bunch of little sissys whine about their sandy vaginas and whose fault it is.

American Chopper is the sole reason we will continue to get this kind of TV show. It was a massive hit. Out of the park.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Weaponizers seems like a Junkyard Wars that cut out fun hosts, charming teams, improvised building materials, and bizarre challenges in favor of bad cgi, Futureweapons-style gunwankery, and tons of explosions.

The challenge seemed to be really set up too, unless their remote controlled cars had terrible signal reception. Especially the bonus remote-controlled bomb the one team got, it just sat there while the other team shot at it until it exploded. And the rocket barrage moment, the team getting shot at is all "Everything around us is on fire!" but they just sit there instead of moving a foot or two.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I wondered about that too. I then figured maybe there was some sort of RPG turns thing going on. Team A has 1 minute to attack while the other has to let their armor work. If Team A does no crit damage, Team gets their minute to move and attack.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Is Wreckreation Nation done? My DVR hasn't recorded a new episode or a repeat in weeks.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Weaponizers could have been a fun show, should have been a fun show. Somehow they managed to make a show about armoring vehicles, mounting weapons on them, and using them to battle via remote control, boring. That takes real effort. I lost all interest with about 20 minutes left. They need to change-up the format to have an A-Team style build, where they slap tons of poo poo on a vehicle, then just pit them against each other in a duel to the death. None of this designed in target areas and weak points nonsense. I want to see an armored behemoth limping around on bent wheels, dragging along a partially sheared off body, being raked by machine gun fire as flaming transmission oil trails behind.

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.
Not to mention the amount of money being poured into these things. The loving machine guns on there are worth over 30k each. All we are watching is human being rich manboys with their expensive toys. I wanted a megasized battlebots thing where they use ghetto homemade weapons that tore each other to shreds. Mount a home made bowling ball cannon, have a wrecking ball. Freaking premade machine guns, sheesh.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Trident posted:

Not to mention the amount of money being poured into these things. The loving machine guns on there are worth over 30k each. All we are watching is human being rich manboys with their expensive toys. I wanted a megasized battlebots thing where they use ghetto homemade weapons that tore each other to shreds. Mount a home made bowling ball cannon, have a wrecking ball. Freaking premade machine guns, sheesh.

Yeah they need to make a robot wars type thing, but make it in the desert or something and just loving go all out.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Yes, exactly, a bowling ball cannon, flamethrower, or a bodged together gravel shotgun, poo poo like that. It should be a cross between A-Team with the slapped together creations, Junkyard Wars with the pile of source material, Monster Garage with the inspired designs, and maybe some Iron Chef with a few choice pieces for each show. Then each team gets handed a vehicle, they do the build up, and go at each other in rounds like a boxing match. In between rounds they get to patch things back up and reload their weapons. The winner gets a token $10,000 donated to their team's chosen charity, so they have something tangible they are battling for. That's a show I would watch. I would love to see the result of something like one team being given a garbage truck, and the other being given a sports car.

The show seemed promising when the one team said they were going to put an extra engine inside to power a weapon to batter the other vehicle. Then I saw the hand-axes welded to a wheel hub, felt instantly disappointed, and the show went down hill from there.

It all felt like they were just going through the motions. They need to go full on Twisted Metal with this.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
To be fair, that harpoon launcher was kinda cool and did score the killing blow.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Gazaar posted:

It's great that they're trying to incorporate more boats into the show but the ones they add are really boring to watch and you don't give half a poo poo about them ever.

Except the Hungarian.
Take that back. The North American had the pluckiest little crew out there and I really liked Sten.

I was going to make a Deadliest Catch megathread before I saw this thread, and i still think it deserves it's own. It seems like Jonathan can fall rear end backward into poo poo and come out smelling like a rose and poor Murray gets a boat dumped in his lap and can't catch a loving break.

Splendiferous
May 7, 2006

wah dee dah
How come no one's talking about The Alaska Experiment? Am I the only person that likes it?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I'm liking this season as well. I was hoping they'd get a bear, but at least they got something out of the trips. I'm surprised they've yet to get any fish.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Splendiferous posted:

How come no one's talking about The Alaska Experiment? Am I the only person that likes it?

I love it and think it's fantastic, better than last season. Of course I'm Alaskan, so have a bias. But drat, the poo poo they're doing is really really hard. Chances are not a lot of you know what it's like to not shower, have a toilet, or have a grocery store for a month. Of course, it was hilarious that the the only hunter amongst them left in the first episode, and the outdoor tour guide or whatever left in the second or third. That really hosed them. Now they just traipse about making too much noise to hunt, which is kind of sad. Plus they have a pea shooter so they can't hunt big game. Now that I think of it, I wonder how many caribou or bears or whatever they've seen and just not been able to kill.

I think I like the dynamic of the show more than anything. No "omg Becky slept with Joey" drama, no stupid competitions, none of that. Just five people surviving for a month with nothing but a gun and some sleeping bags. And a ukulele. What happened to that ukulele? I bet they threw it out or burned it.

Speaking of the ukulele, they really cocked it up in the beginning, choosing which items to bring. The snow shovel could have been a fine fishing pole or net, and the ukulele seemed like a perfect rodent trap. The giant loving wash bin was kind of hilarious to see them lug around, but I guess at least they found a use for it. Of all things to find a use for, they chose the giant loving wash bin.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

LegoMan posted:

Take that back. The North American had the pluckiest little crew out there and I really liked Sten.

Yeah right that was the worst part of last season.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

Teek posted:

I'm liking this season as well. I was hoping they'd get a bear, but at least they got something out of the trips. I'm surprised they've yet to get any fish.

yeah this season is much better then last year. and I like his quote today that whatever people tell you, don't believe them, there are no fish in alaska.

also i thought it was pretty sad that the tour guide tried to use the excuse that it was too easy and he was bored so he wanted to go home.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Splendiferous posted:

I watch it every week if not just for the scenery. The format this year is so much better than it was last year (stupid challenges). I just wish I knew where in Alaska it was taking place. On one of the topo maps in the first episode, it showed Clark Creek but I haven't been able to really find a Clark Creek that would match up.

RichardNixon
Dec 20, 2008

MrDingleDangle posted:

also i thought it was pretty sad that the tour guide tried to use the excuse that it was too easy and he was bored so he wanted to go home.

I thought it was really funny that the two experienced people went "this is dumb, you guys are dumb, gently caress this" really fast.

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.
I thought it was hilarious when they chased the drat ground squirrel around for two hours trying to catch it by hand when they had a gun RIGHT INSIDE THE loving CABIN.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

RichardNixon posted:

I thought it was really funny that the two experienced people went "this is dumb, you guys are dumb, gently caress this" really fast.

I was glad when the hunter lady left, she was a pain in the rear end. For such a know it all, she really didn't do poo poo to help the group, just bitched a lot.

I liked the guide, but I think I would have left too if I knew what I was doing and people refused to listen to reason.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

I liked the guide, but I think I would have left too if I knew what I was doing and people refused to listen to reason.

well the thing is he kept wanting to leave the slow guy behind and just take off on his own, but the slow guy decided to leave at the same time, so it seemed he was just so full oh himself to even give the rest of them a chance

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was glad when the hunter lady left, she was a pain in the rear end. For such a know it all, she really didn't do poo poo to help the group, just bitched a lot.

Both crazy lady and the fisherman were looking for an excuse to leave. "I'm better then you" is the best excuse to bail. I mean, c'mon, crazy lady threw a fit over not having her 1/9th of a mouse... Fisherman was pissed that he had to slow down for Uncle Fred, but then again, both Fisherman and Uncle Fred tapped out at the same time. The group hit it's stride with those three gone, all the ego's and the weakest member were out.

Article on the behind the scenes photography stuff.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MrDingleDangle posted:

well the thing is he kept wanting to leave the slow guy behind and just take off on his own, but the slow guy decided to leave at the same time, so it seemed he was just so full oh himself to even give the rest of them a chance

I think once he made up his mind that it wasn't worth it, even Fred pushing the button (therefore giving him what he wanted in the first place) wasn't enough to change his mind. He may have thought it would just be more of the same.
I totally agree with Scarecrow though that they really meshed after those three dropped out.

And the lady bitching about not getting a piece of the mouse was hilarious.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 14, 2009

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
It drives me up a wall when I see them gutting a freshly killed animal and trimming off all the fat. YOU loving MORONS- THE ANIMALS UP HERE HAVE FAT BECAUSE IT HELPS YOU TO NOT STARVE. EAT THE loving FAT! YOU NEED IT!

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Sig was kind of a dick not to help the other guy with bait. Bet he is going to be pissed off when he see's the show air!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Something I don't get with Deadliest Catch...

They play up how Keith and the Wizard are struggling, but they show the crab count and he's got more than anyone, and if nothing else more than the boats that the show seems to show as having a great season (e.g. Time Bandit).

Also, I believe it was the Time Bandit, when they off-loaded their crab, there was a comment made about how it was only a few days or maybe one week (?) or so into the fishing season, but Mike Rowe's narration seems to say things like, "For the last three weeks, the crew of the Time Bandit has endured harsh winter conditions...", etc.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

Todd Flanders posted:

They play up how Keith and the Wizard are struggling, but they show the crab count and he's got more than anyone, and if nothing else more than the boats that the show seems to show as having a great season (e.g. Time Bandit).

Also, I believe it was the Time Bandit, when they off-loaded their crab, there was a comment made about how it was only a few days or maybe one week (?) or so into the fishing season, but Mike Rowe's narration seems to say things like, "For the last three weeks, the crew of the Time Bandit has endured harsh winter conditions...", etc.

yeah i always find it kind of confusing too, i didn't check the crab count, but thats kind of strange considering they never showed them getting any real crab.

however even if they get more then the rest they could be still having a worse season because they all have a specific quota. If the Wizards quota is twice that of anyone else they can still be screwed.

I wish instead of the crab count they did % of quota left and days fishing/days before quota due...I think the Northwestern has been 48 hours away from their deadline for 2 weeks now.

crab count only mattered when there was no limit the first couple seasons

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Todd Flanders posted:

Wizard is a goddamned huge boat, so they have a higher quota to make than the others. Agreeing with the other guy that it's silly they still do crab count in numbers - it really hasn't mattered since they stopped using the derby system.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Also in regards to Sig doing the fish sauce or whatever, if anyone is allowed to sell out these guys are. I mean come on, if you are going to get upset at people selling out get mad at the "celebrity" chefs.

hutch
May 30, 2001

Slow, wide & ugly. Just the way I like 'em

Todd Flanders posted:

Even after the Derby days, King Crab season is only about a week long. When it was still derby rules the season sometimes was as short as 4 days (but there were also two to three times as many boats out there).

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Selling out rules I would sell out in a split second.

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
This season of Deadliest Catch is really lacking in story. There is no Phil to yell at his kids, Johnathan's kid isn't around so no family reminiscing, and Sig's greenhorn went from badass "I'll do anything to make you love me" last season to a meth mouth whiny little bitch this season. I still like the show, but it is really missing the personality. All there is to be interested in is watching them fish, and I got tired of that years ago.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

Also, again they showed the "crab count"...they have yet to show cornelia marie catching any crab at all, yet they have them at 290,000 pounds and the 3rd most amount of crabs, with the leading boat catching 310,000. Its one thing to say they aren't near their quota, but if didn't see the crab count i would think they had cought like 100 crab all season

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I am going to hop on to the gently caress Weaponizers! bandwagon. After the first episode, my roommate and I were really wondering why the hell they sat there taking turns during the first round of the "competition." After he watched Monday's episodes, he says to me, "After seeing another episode I think I hate this show, there are shots in the final competition where the two vehicles disappear and reappear at random, it looks really staged." We were watching it last night and at the end of the "Carbecue" episode I had to rewind after they detonated the bomb at the end. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but no, they tried to fake the van explosion footage by putting the front shield from the modified van on another van and blowing that one up. The real kicker is that the van was a completely different model and color, and they thought it wouldn't be noticeable. Hey, Weaponizers! We've had VCRs for like 30 loving years and DVR for almost a decade! People can check that poo poo!

This says nothing of stuff like "OH GOD THE CAR IS STUCK ON THESE ROCKS" followed by him simply putting the car in reverse and driving away a few bullshit-filled minutes later, or the retardedly repetitive scenes of them shooting machine guns at the beginning of each episode to "get a feel" for the weapons. The ex-Army guys don't know that a rifle round can easily pierce a standard car door? SERIOUSLY? I think you're loving with me, Discovery Channel! It really needs to be a large scale Robot Wars thing - give 'em a junker car, access to the workshops, and let them make cars designed for melee combat.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Something definately needs to be done with the show. I ended up fast-forwarding through the first 40 minutes for both the new episodes from this week. I don't think I missed much. They really need to explain the head to head stuff, because it makes almost no sense the way it is edited. Do they have "turns" or what? Why are you guys just parked there, why aren't you moving around? Plus the challenge where they have to cut or knock over targets to save/destroy towers is horribly broken. They hardly ever use the actual car implement to act against the target, instead they just ram into it which tends to have the same effect for one of the sides, "Knock over this bar with your extending saw" becomes "Let's just RAM this fucker with the whole car while the other team has to line up a shot."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Teek posted:

They really need to explain the head to head stuff, because it makes almost no sense the way it is edited. Do they have "turns" or what? Why are you guys just parked there, why aren't you moving around?

I'm pretty sure they are just taking turns to manufacture "tension." Nothing they do makes any drat sense because as far as I can tell it's all scripted. If I saw a guy driving toward a target, and I were competing, I would drive toward them and try to ram them off target or hit the defenses first. Meanwhile they sit there and wait for them to nail the target before screaming "OH poo poo, WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING" and moving on. It's just dull, fake poo poo.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

hutch posted:

Even after the Derby days, King Crab season is only about a week long. When it was still derby rules the season sometimes was as short as 4 days (but there were also two to three times as many boats out there).
I'm not sure that it's that short, but the big limiter now is that the processor boats have the power. They might want to only be out there two weeks, so they say "we'll pay half-price for crab after this date, and we're a monopoly so tough for you".

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I don't understand why they feel the need to recap the same things every episode of Weaponizers. They do the same introduction of the guys every episode, the same description of the challange, etc. That's one way to fill the hour I guess.

Although I have to admit the flaming tennis ball cannon from the "Mad Max" episode was pretty cool. I loved the "Time Warp"-level disregard for safety when the one guy went downrange to hit the flaming tennis balls being launched at him.

It's just too bad that didn't work out as a weapon - it sure looked cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

I think the editing is just getting really bad.

according to the editing Cornilea Marie has not 290,000 pounds of crab with the largest single pot being like 10 crabs...so they have pulled 29,000 pots this season

then you have the Time Bandit. Every pot they pulled was 60+ going into the last string, but if they don't catch at least 30 a pot then they will lose a lot of money. WTF, what would have happened if they were only pulling 50+ the entire time? and they are back days early, so why did they have to get 30+ the final string

A) they are really bad editing and telling us what is really going on

B) it was a really really boring season so they just made up stories that they needed to catch crab.

also didn't they say before the season "1 captain won't be coming back"...well the boat that sanks captain made it back so does that mean something is still coming?

• Locked thread