Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

hah, they are.
They look hosed up, just because it's not exactly a common sight. Thats actually how big they are though, it's weird.

I might just swap them out because it makes the scale of my scene look wrong.

stupid reality all up in your photons n poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

hah, they are.
They look hosed up, just because it's not exactly a common sight. Thats actually how big they are though, it's weird.

I might just swap them out because it makes the scale of my scene look wrong.

That's awesome and if they're based on a real product I need to get some stat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You modelled the parquetry. YOU MADMAN.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
No I didnt! It's a displacement map.

Although you can then say 'you used a 4k x 4k displacement map on a glossy reflective floor' and then I could say 'yeah what of it son'

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

cubicle gangster posted:

Although you can then say 'you used a 4k x 4k displacement map on a glossy reflective floor' and then I could say 'yeah what of it son'

My hats off to you sir. Beautiful render.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

cubicle gangster posted:

and then I could say 'yeah what of it son'

You sounds so English heheheh

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

There's no bump is there? You put all the grain in the displacement as well didn't you? Say yes because that would be awesome.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
haha. I did :3:
It's a mix map with the grain faded over the top.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

I don't know if anyone remembers my little shrimp boat rendering I did for my job, but the exhibit is getting close to completion. Which is kind of cool to see the reality start to take shape, that was first represented with the CG. The perspective on the boat kind of weirds me out how it matches up with everything. The horizon line is right at my eye level (which is how I designed it).

The cab of the boat is a separate piece that's not installed yet.

Curator is happy... He's sitting on his rock-work.

That's me there. And that's a camera lens in my pocket, I'm not that happy about it.

I also have pictures posted of the process up at my blog if anyone is interested.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

cubicle gangster posted:

drat, where does one even get a 4k X 4k image of a floor? Minor suggestion, think you should do something about the wood texture on the chairs, I think they're what give it away most. (coming from an amateur keep in mind, it's looking good otherwise)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/candyfab

Ridiculous large scale edible 3d printing.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

drat, where does one even get a 4k X 4k image of a floor? Minor suggestion, think you should do something about the wood texture on the chairs, I think they're what give it away most. (coming from an amateur keep in mind, it's looking good otherwise)

arroway.de has some good ones, cgtextures.com also started making professional textures recently.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Its an arroway one. Diff/bump/spec as 4k x 4k 60mb .png's

They are silly

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Had a username change (formerly Akaikami) but the website remains the same:

Click Here

Three new 3D pieces added to the portfolio, just speed sculpts for now until I take the time to settle down and really produce something of worth.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
'produce something of worth', he says!
They're awesome.

Anyone who uses max along with vray needs to get onto forest lite, stat - http://www.itoosoft.com/english/menu.php?id=forest_faq

It's basically vray scatter, but it has a free version too.

I did this in 45 minutes and it rendered in 10 - (excuse the awful colour balancing on the shrubbery, I didnt change the materials)

12 billion polys total, 2 of those billion just coming from the individual blades of grass.
That is ALL geometry, stretching to just over 1km away. (although the grass breaks off much earlier)
Also the entire ground plane is displaced mud. haha.

The viewport loving flies with very little slowdown. It's completley bonkers.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 14, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

They're awesome.

Thanks, coming from a pro like you it's appreciated.

Next project is to make a bust of Jean Reno as accurately as possible.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

They're awesome.

Anyone who uses max along with vray needs to get onto forest lite, stat - http://www.itoosoft.com/english/menu.php?id=forest_faq

I did this in 45 minutes and it rendered in 10 - (excuse the awful colour balancing on the shrubbery, I didnt change the materials)

12 billion polys total, 2 of those billion just coming from the individual blades of grass.
That is ALL geometry, stretching to just over 1km away. (although the grass breaks off much earlier)

Woah . . . THANKS for that link! Now I want to install the free version, scatter some trees around and push my new computer a bit. :)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Here's that crazy camera mapping experiment. Got that part down so now refining the sim and hacking a render together:

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

Here's that crazy camera mapping experiment. Got that part down so now refining the sim and hacking a render together:

Looks fun, though I hate how Houdini renders out camera projection that looks a bit lowres and soft, I've tried to make the NDC shader and use a shader like Maya's background shader, but it always comes off a little too soft on my end.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Yeah I'd say that it's a resampling issue. IE the renderer goes "ok, this texture is applied to this plane" and then treats it AS a filtered texture on 4 big polys, there's bound to be some approximation when it interpolates UVs, resamples the image and renders.

To combat this you can use a higher res mesh, and up the pixel sampling rate. Or render the UVs and add the cam map in post. With the camera projections above I'm doing all sorts of crazy warping on the UVs and geometry, so it's blurred to hell.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

Yeah I'd say that it's a resampling issue. IE the renderer goes "ok, this texture is applied to this plane" and then treats it AS a filtered texture on 4 big polys, there's bound to be some approximation when it interpolates UVs, resamples the image and renders.

To combat this you can use a higher res mesh, and up the pixel sampling rate. Or render the UVs and add the cam map in post. With the camera projections above I'm doing all sorts of crazy warping on the UVs and geometry, so it's blurred to hell.

Ahh, makes sense, I'll have to give that a try one of these days, my usual work around for that was blending in comp, and motion blur, hah.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
One interesting thing I did with motion blur the other day was accidently loving up my shader so that it just mapped the current frame of the plate on the fragmenting geo. Since motion blur was on, it looked like the plate was being distorted in all sorts of freaky directions. I must give this a go again to distort things like people's faces.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

EDIT:

NEVERMIND. It was a bad HDR file. :rolleyes:

Once I tried a stock HDR it worked fine . . . hmmm.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 15, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
re: the houdino map thing - cant you just turn filtering off completley and crank up the AA to let that handle it? I'm stabbing in the dark here, but you can do that with vray.

The results look awesome, if a little bright ;)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
There isn't really a standard AA setting per se, at least not in the default sampling settings. Micropoly renderers handle things pretty different to raytracing based ones, it splits each poly into tiny little chunks each with a corresponding UV value and then renders that. So really you want it to dice the geometry into smaller and smaller bits to give more accurate results (the pixel sample settings).

Gah the sim I ran all last night has massive artifacts, I might not be able to do this with self collisions, drat.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Here's an update with a few textures thrown on, with the same lighting set-ups as in the last post.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

The checkered areas haven't been unwrapped yet; that's why they look wonky. Yes, I stole an Iggy Pop poster.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

They're awesome.

So the trees and grass in the image are all 3d? I saw on the website that alot of the stuff is done with 2d planes and iv never had much luck making planes work well in an animated scene. Have you tried any of that?

Image looks great by the way. Was the sky done in post?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, question for people who do a lot of their own scipts and programming out there. How do you get to a decent level of ability at it? I'm self taught so I can accomplish very basic stuff, but more complicated scripts just have me stumped. Is it as easy as picking up Programming for Dummies or do I have to go through a Computer Science Bachelor's degree?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

TouchToneDialing posted:

So the trees and grass in the image are all 3d? I saw on the website that alot of the stuff is done with 2d planes and iv never had much luck making planes work well in an animated scene. Have you tried any of that?

Yeah - the trees are modeled leaves, and the grass I modeled myself (at 5 polys each blade)
Never used a 2d plane in a scene, always thought it looked like poo poo and now we can get away with 3d objects. It's a technique straight out of the late 90's.

Sky is kind of a camera projection - I took a screen shot of the viewport from a camera with a wider angle, put the sky over it as I would in post then projected it onto a self illuminated plane behind everything. Gives me about 5 degrees either side of the view because I was going to do some basic animation.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 17, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Heintje posted:

Oh god. Flash backs from our Hulk debris tests....

Aiee...

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Tell me, did you ever figure out how DOPs worked? :D

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, question for people who do a lot of their own scipts and programming out there. How do you get to a decent level of ability at it? I'm self taught so I can accomplish very basic stuff, but more complicated scripts just have me stumped. Is it as easy as picking up Programming for Dummies or do I have to go through a Computer Science Bachelor's degree?

Honestly a lot of it is just basic logic theory - syntax is syntax, but logic is universal. I would say UML flowcharting might help, but it's always seemed a bit...remedial? I wish I could recommend a book, but I haven't really read any other than some old java and c# stuff from college, though a generalized dummies book would probably do the trick. If you have any questions, I maintain a decent amount of maxScript (almost identical to java, syntactically) code at work, so I can probably help you out if you're stuck on breaking something down.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
has anyone used papervision?

for example this site uses it;
http://ecodazoo.com/

there's been some really cool stuff coming out lately, and me and some friends are looking for some tips on what exactly can be imported in regards to models/textures/animation.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Ecodazoo is the best thing I've seen come out of Papervision and one of my favorite Flash sites in general. That said, I'd only use Papervision for web3d if you ABSOLUTELY have to use Flash. If that isn't a limitation for you, there are better technologies out there.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Another texture update:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

I fiddled with the lighting a wee bit too, but I still don't like it.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

spottedfeces posted:

Another texture update:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

I fiddled with the lighting a wee bit too, but I still don't like it.

Couple suggestions with your lights: tone down that bright white spot on the lower right-hand corner of the building, and find a way to bring more attention to the 'bloody piston' sign. As it is, my eyes are being drawn to the wrong places.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Working on a new exhibit vis. Crits welcome. It's an interactive sea turtle exhibit. You can feed the sea turtles from the top area. I'll probably add some people using feeding poles and some more fish in the tank tomorrow.

We'll be really pushing this exhibit this summer for fund-raising. It's the next big exhibit, although we are working on some smaller ones currently. This would be an actual new building added to our facility which costs quite a bit more than throwing in some new themed tanks and areas.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The only thing that stands out to me are the orange walls - they look a little flat. Maybe a subtle glossy falloff reflection, slight noise in the glossiness - just so it looks a little shiny and painted.

Aside from that it's really good, the people are well matched.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

subtle glossy falloff reflection

I'm not sure technically what you mean by that. I get the idea of what you are saying, just not implementation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heimlich Bimmler
Oct 26, 2002

Don't you know old chap I was head of Gestapo for ten years. Five years! No, no, nein, I was not head of Gestapo at all...I make joke.
if you're using the mia_material_x, you'd increase the glossiness of your orange wall shader slightly, and put a bump map on it to break up the highlights so they scatter a bit like they would on a painted wall. you can sometimes fake the effect without a bump map by just lowering your glossy samples, but it doesn't look as nice up close.

that, and mess with the BDRF curve to tweak how reflective the surface is at different angles. that'll give you nice falloff.