Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Simkin posted:

That bike, on the other hand, is not so confusing to me. That's just straight out :black101: Any videos of it running?

No videos right now... I have the exhaust stripped off and a set of Buell headers being prepped for it..... of course, it has been like that for 3 months. I am an incredible slack-rear end sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007
edit: missed the post which answered my question.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Xeno posted:

Now with Gransport upgrades

Be this the only Maser owned by a goon? :drat:

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
Thanks ;)

The Legacy is a long, long story. Short answer, it's not swapped. You know that adage about mechanic's car's being POS's? I work support, and in my free time I was helping out a local Scooby shop. That's a mechanic AND someone who deals with computers and troubleshooting wiring and other BS all day - bad combo for wanting to rip apart two cars to merge 'em. I even bought a donor car from a goon, an '03 WRX wagon rollover, but I never got around to doing the swap, and through some bad BS at the shop, half the working parts on the donor were cannibalized when I finally started getting around to it, so I said "gently caress it" and bought the STi.

Now I've got a ridiculous DD (the wagon has 270k on it, with a newish NA japanese drivetrain in it, Stoptechs, coilovers, Recaros, etc) and a fun weekend car that I don't have to troubleshoot constantly. The wagon shell is worn out; if I was going to try to put 400hp through it, I'd have to strip it to a bare shell, at least stitch-weld it, and replace just about every single part on it, which is more than I feel liek dealing with when it works as-is.

Now, if something happened to the STi that left it with a running drivetrain..... ;)

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
1990 Ford Ranger

105,000-ish miles on this fella. Looks great for its age, doesn't it?

My dad bought it when I was in kindergarten, and I started driving it when i was 17. I bought it from him almost a year ago, so its mine all mine. As of this weekend I've demoted it from DD to minor project status. I just got a job with a 30 mile round trip commute in Dallas traffic, the interior is slowly exploding, the brakes work like crap, and it leaks oil in a couple places. Its usual parking spot is over that patch of oil.

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback

Bought this sweet thing this weekend. Driving a little peppy hatchback is great so far. It has more power and less weight than my ranger, and holy crap it shows. This is my 5th cage to drive and second I've owned.

2004 Kawasaki EX250

I picked this guy up last August, in acceptable mechanical shape but crappy cosmetic shape. Some dollars and plastic removal later, it's now an unusual looking wee streetfighter. Right now its parked until I get unlazy and put a new chain and rear tire on it. I need to get around to doing that. Touring on the thing works surprisingly well. I took this picture after I'd been riding for about 350 miles.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

sklnd posted:

Why even keep the Ranger?

Also: Cage :rolleyes:

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Trucks are handy for moving things, its dirt cheap to insure, its not worth much to sell, and I'm pretty attached to it. Also, I'm looking forward to doing things like fixing the leaky valve cover gaskets and getting the interior back up to snuff (leaky windshield has messed with the headliner and carpet) to work on my wrenching skills.

Roboflow
Nov 26, 2007
How long till I'm re-banned
2001 Infiniti I30, 105k on the odometer. Car has been through hell including being flooded in 4-5ft of water. Runs excellent though, only thing to replace thus far is the alternator.

Love this car, but I can't wait to graduate in Dec and get something new.

ps. joining the jet bandwagon

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Sick JDM euro tuning, breh.

Sorry, just can't help myself when I see "Yakima".

Yakima isn't Japanese but American, breh, nice attempt at trolling though

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Contraband posted:

Haha, not often we get a good :iceburn: in AI.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

Haha, not often we get a good :iceburn: in AI.

As far as we know the Japanese and the Northwest Native Americans could be closely related, the Asia, Alaskan land bridge and all. That is a nice Salmoned up car though!

durzoblint
May 17, 2009

05 Altima Ser - Nismo cold Air - Hawk Pads - Cross Drilled Rotors this week

durzoblint fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 18, 2009

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Cross drilled rotors are a waste of money and do more harm than any good.

durzoblint
May 17, 2009
I agree, but the rotors I have now are pretty much done and the cross drilled I got are from warehouse so they are cheaper than what I would find in an aftermarket shop.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

durzoblint posted:

I agree, but the rotors I have now are pretty much done and the cross drilled I got are from warehouse so they are cheaper than what I would find in an aftermarket shop.

You're telling me that cross drilled rotors are cheaper than blanks from like NAPA or some place? I really do not believe this.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Belldandy posted:

You're telling me that cross drilled rotors are cheaper than blanks from like NAPA or some place? I really do not believe this.

Kids in china make brake rotors for like 14 cents a day

Merkmerk
Aug 14, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here's my baby as of about 10 days ago:

durzoblint
May 17, 2009
^^^^^^^ very nice 370Z

Belldandy posted:

Of course not, I was saying I got C/D rotors cheaper than what it would of cost me getting them from some shop

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

ab0z posted:

Kids in china make brake rotors for like 14 cents a day

No kidding, too bad we don't pay 14 cents for them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Belldandy posted:

No kidding, too bad we don't pay 14 cents for them.

Yeah, but even if we did... what would you do with a bunch of 14 cent kids.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, but even if we did... what would you do with a bunch of 14 cent kids.

have them make 14 cent rotors

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Merkmerk posted:

Here's my baby as of about 10 days ago:

The lines of that car makes me sexually aroused.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Contraband posted:

:bravo:

JDM - because they're subarus
Euro tuning - because they're slammed and have roof racks - just like the any VW I see

It wasn't trolling, it was more a joke about identity-crisis tuning. But I forgot, internet = serious business, and all.

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009

98 Twin Turbo GTS
76mm Turbo's
Striker Race Heads
Cage Certified to 8.50
20" HRE's w/Nitto Invo's

I'll be running it on Pass Time this wednesday at Zmax, not sure when the show airs. I'm a mopar guy, so most of my cars are old mopars, but this is the "main" toy.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Good God.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Sweet jesus. I'd like to see the rest of your garage, too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SmartPowders posted:

98 Twin Turbo GTS
76mm Turbo's
Striker Race Heads
Cage Certified to 8.50
20" HRE's w/Nitto Invo's
slotted and drilled rotors :smug:

:911: God I miss Greensboro. Do you know that guy whose yellow Lambo was wrecked by a mechanic joyriding? Now he's got a white replacement with the plate "WUZYELLO"

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009
I haven't seen that car around. I'm actually in Burlington, NC, which is a podunk town. I've grown up about racing and cars my whole life. This is by far the nastiest thing I've ever owned. I'll race anything, including bikes from a roll. A dig is a different situation. I weigh 3800lbs, so I don't move worth a poo poo till the turbo's kick in. I ran the 1/8th the other night, on 17lbs of boost (can run 32) I went 6.32 at 123 on those Invo's you see on the car. When I run past time, I'm hoping to hit about a 9.60 or so on those Invo's. I'm not going to turn the boost up, just leave it around 17.

Here are a few others, I don't have pics loaded up for most:

63 dodge 9 passenger 880 station wagon. Has dual AC's, 2 gas tanks and a 413 with push button trans.

66 dodge A100 van. Everyone needs a Scooby Doo van. Slant 6 / 3 Speed and a ton of fun

NHRA/IHRA Super Stock avenger. In the middle of doing a new motor for it now. Also have a 67 Coronet Station wagon that is IHRA legal, being made into an NHRA car. Just bought a 70 challenger to build an NHRA/IHRA stocker from the ground up. Throwing a motor into a 72 duster we have to get it ready for IHRA this summer. I just sold a 59 dodge wagon on ebay, have a 71 440 demon going on end of week. Got a few other cars around, but I'm not one much for pictures.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Just a bit of a Mopar guy aren't ya?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

SmartPowders posted:

I haven't seen that car around. I'm actually in Burlington, NC, which is a podunk town. I've grown up about racing and cars my whole life. This is by far the nastiest thing I've ever owned. I'll race anything, including bikes from a roll. A dig is a different situation. I weigh 3800lbs, so I don't move worth a poo poo till the turbo's kick in. I ran the 1/8th the other night, on 17lbs of boost (can run 32) I went 6.32 at 123 on those Invo's you see on the car. When I run past time, I'm hoping to hit about a 9.60 or so on those Invo's. I'm not going to turn the boost up, just leave it around 17.

Here are a few others, I don't have pics loaded up for most:

63 dodge 9 passenger 880 station wagon. Has dual AC's, 2 gas tanks and a 413 with push button trans.

I misread and thought you were talking about the wagon being turbocharged and putting those numbers down. I almost fainted whilst clapping.

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009

Doctor Bud posted:

Just a bit of a Mopar guy aren't ya?

My dad raced for chrysler back in the day. To own anything outside of a mopar will result in death in my family.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

SmartPowders posted:

My dad raced for chrysler back in the day. To own anything outside of a mopar will result in death in my family.

Holy poo poo dude, welcome to AI. Your Viper is absolutely insane, please post more pictures!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

SmartPowders posted:

Is the cupholder thing on the passenger side the air intake?

Also :aaaaa:

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

SmartPowders posted:

66 dodge A100 van. Everyone needs a Scooby Doo van. Slant 6 / 3 Speed and a ton of fun

I am a sucker for the 60's vans... Very cool!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

SmartPowders posted:

I think I speak for all of us when I say we will happily overlook the "lurk more" rule in this instance.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

edit: nevermind, I'm tired and can't read

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 18, 2009

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

SmartPowders posted:

How's did the family deal with the Mitsu partnership, then the Mercedes buyout, and now the final nails being driven in?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

and now the final nails being driven in?

Part Canadian ownership? :canada:

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009
I joined the site for the nutrition section as it seems people are visiting my site from here. Just trying to figure out from where. I'm a car guy first though. I just love old cars, obviously mopars. Although I really like certain off brands, such as nash. I just like oddball cars.

My dad can't stand what has happened to the chrysler. The performance division went to crap a long time ago. It has always bothered him. At the end of the day, it's just common sense. They didn't make cars people wanted. We aren't big on new cars in my family, hell even the viper is 11 years old. We're into all the old stuff.

I've got a lot of racing experience to add to the board. Dad was world champ, brother was world champ, hell even my 8 year old nephew won his division in IHRA and has won 5 out of his past 10 races. I owned a race track for 18 months and sold it in december. I'm not the technical person in the family. It's my job to make enough money to pay for all this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

SmartPowders posted:

I joined the site for the nutrition section as it seems people are visiting my site from here. Just trying to figure out from where. I'm a car guy first though. I just love old cars, obviously mopars. Although I really like certain off brands, such as nash. I just like oddball cars.

My dad can't stand what has happened to the chrysler. The performance division went to crap a long time ago. It has always bothered him. At the end of the day, it's just common sense. They didn't make cars people wanted. We aren't big on new cars in my family, hell even the viper is 11 years old. We're into all the old stuff.

I've got a lot of racing experience to add to the board. Dad was world champ, brother was world champ, hell even my 8 year old nephew won his division in IHRA and has won 5 out of his past 10 races. I owned a race track for 18 months and sold it in december. I'm not the technical person in the family. It's my job to make enough money to pay for all this poo poo.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that it would be really cool to post a thread with some more info and pictures and things about your family and their racing if you have some time. I know everyone would love to learn more, it's kind of rare for us to have real race guys around the boards.