Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

That Turkey Story posted:

Modern compilers do link-time optimization which includes inlining.

I don't think a compiler is going to be doing any linking, mister! :crossarms:

(Does the inline keyword even have any effect on a non-inline function definition in an object file?)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't think a compiler is going to be doing any linking, mister! :crossarms:

:argh:

Hardboiled Kid
Jul 27, 2001

This is my club avatar!
Where is a good online resource to learn about Ada? I have an Ada programming class next week and I would like to get my feet wet early on learning this stuff.

Any help out there?

Hardboiled Kid fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 13, 2009

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Trifling Fox posted:

Where is a good online resource to learn about Ada? I have an Ada programming class next week and I would like to get my feet wet early on learning this stuff.

This is a good resource for the prospective Ada student

Hardboiled Kid
Jul 27, 2001

This is my club avatar!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

This is a good resource for the prospective Ada student

That's one of the links you give out when you can't answer a question.

Yes, I've looked. I tried this place, but I was hoping there's a place that's a lot better. That's why I came here.

Since you gave out that particular link, I'll rescind my call for help and look elsewhere.

Hardboiled Kid fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 13, 2009

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Does your class have an assigned book? Chances are that it's a much better learning source than anything you'll find on the Internet.

Trifling Fox posted:

Since you gave out that particular link, I'll rescind my call for help and look elsewhere.
One person gives you a snarky answer and you completely give up?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Mustach posted:

One person gives you a snarky answer and you completely give up?

Apparently we're getting better at this!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Trifling Fox posted:

I don't "get" "jokes"

Trifling Fox posted:

I tried this place, but I was hoping there's a place that's a lot better.

You tried all of the books and resources listed on that page under Further Reading and External Links?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Trifling Fox posted:

Any help out there?
List of free ebooks on Ada (didn't double-check, can be in the wiki above):
http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/programming.php#ada

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Apparently we're getting better at this!
Or worse - before, we'd get a page of comedy as a result. :(

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
SSDs like the OCZ Vertex and Intel X-25 are the bee's knees when it comes to making your system more responsive. But $150 will only get you 30GB, half of which will be eaten alive by a typical Windows 7 install. Soon you're forced to install your apps and games to your huge, slow HDD.

Don't do this.

Install them to your SSD, then move the entire folder to your HDD of choice and make an NTFS junction on the SSD pointing to the new location. Reverse the process when you want the program to load quickly. This way you can install a terabyte's worth of software and pick which ones you want to perform well.

All this folder moving and running mklink.exe /J can get tiresome, so I threw together a VBscript that gets launched from the folder context menu (HKCR\Folder\shell\MenuNameHere\command, default = c:\scriptname.vbs "%1").

I am a computer janitor, not a programmer. If anyone wants to give this thing an actual interface/installer, or even just some basic error checking, please be my guest.

code:
'The destination hard drive letter is hardcoded, change it on lines 21 & 23
on error resume next 
set objArgs = Wscript.Arguments 
Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.Shell") 
Dim fso, f 
set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 

dim path 
path = fso.GetAbsolutePathName(objArgs(i))
path = LTrim(path) 
dim driveletter 
driveletter = Left(path, 1) 

dim source, sourcequotes 'the source path 
source = fso.GetAbsolutePathName(objArgs(i))
sourcequotes = """" & source & """"

dim dest, destquotes 'the destination path 
If driveletter = "C" Then 
    dest = "E" & Mid(source, 2)       
    destquotes = """" & dest & """"
Else If driveletter = "E" Then        
    dest = "C" & Mid(source, 2)
    destquotes = """" & dest & """"     
End If
End If

'Check to see if a junction exists at dest. If it does, delete it.
'Use rmdir to avoid deleting the contents of the junction.
If (fso.FolderExists(dest)) Then
    oShell.run "cmd /C rmdir " & destquotes, 6, True
End If

'Copy the folder over 
fso.CopyFolder source, dest 

'Delete the original if we've had no errors
If Err.Number = 0 Then
    fso.DeleteFolder source, true 
Else
    MsgBox(Err.Description)
    WScript.Quit
End If

'Make the junction file on source, pointing to dest
dim commandargs
commandargs = sourcequotes & " " & destquotes
oShell.run "cmd /C mklink.exe /J " & commandargs, 6, True
Set oShell = Nothing 
Set fso = Nothing 
Set f = Nothing
Disclaimer: I don't know how, but I'm sure this script could manage to break some old program's terrible method of file access and ruin your day. Works great for me, but YMMV.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Shuntly posted:

This non-question would probably work better in SH/SC if you want your intended audience to see it.

I could also be incorrectly guessing your intentions, in which case, um, thanks for your script.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Shuntly posted:

not a programming question

Unless I'm missing something, isn't the point of the junction just to make it appear as though the app is installed on the SSD so copying doesn't break registry references? And if you really want the app running from the SSD (for more speedz), you manually copy it back?

Also I'm sorry, but holy fukin lol:

quote:

I am a computer janitor

quote:

code:
on error resume next 

quote:

Don't do this.

:v:

pokeyman posted:

I could also be incorrectly guessing your intentions, in which case, um, thanks for your script.

I think it's this:

Shuntly posted:

If anyone wants to give this thing an actual interface/installer, or even just some basic error checking, please be my guest.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shuntly posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136296

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

csammis posted:

Unless I'm missing something, isn't the point of the junction just to make it appear as though the app is installed on the SSD so copying doesn't break registry references? And if you really want the app running from the SSD (for more speedz), you manually copy it back?

Yes, the point is to avoid breaking registry references. With Steam, for example, you could just move the specific game folder under \steamapps\common off to your HDD. You don't have to manually copy it anywhere, you just run the script on the folder again.

And christ, look at it. This hackjob is definitely not suitable for posting in SH/SC without cleanup. How do you check for and obtain Write permissions? Make sure it's being run on Vista / 7? Is there an easy way to make an installer (or First Time Config) for this that'll let someone pick which drive letter they want to swap to and write the reg key? And I don't have a clue what kind of error checking needs to be done with the existing functions.

Velociraptors are so very slow. See http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=25

Extremely Penetrated fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 15, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Shuntly posted:

And christ, look at it. This hackjob is definitely not suitable for posting in SH/SC without cleanup.

So you thought you should post it in the forum where people are even more critical of bad code?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Shuntly posted:

Velociraptors are so very slow. See http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=25

How many games do you think do lots of small, random read/write operations?

SSDs are not so much better than a good disk like a VRaptor that they justify the tiny perfromance gain. You're better off plowing all that extra money into RAM unless you're on a money-is-no-object budget. Edit: which is clearly not the situation you're attempting to address

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 15, 2009

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm trying to have a piece of code that executes at midnight for visual basic, and I'm having trouble doing so. Anyone know a link to a good tutorial?

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

Munkeymon posted:

How many games do you think do lots of small, random read/write operations?

SSDs are not so much better than a good disk like a VRaptor that they justify the tiny perfromance gain. You're better off plowing all that extra money into RAM unless you're on a money-is-no-object budget.

Everything that pertains to 'responsiveness' of a system ties in strongly to access time, random read, sequential read, and random write. Access time is an order of magnitude faster than a VRaptor. Please don't cherry pick, look at the rest of Anand's article. Shaving 20s off boot times? Yes please. Game loading times are usually pure sequential read (Far Cry 2 is an exception), and if you can cut them in half it has a large impact on the user experience.

If you already have 4GB of RAM (which cost you a whole $70), SSDs are your only real option for improving responsiveness from a hardware perspective.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hey yeah, let's talk about computer janitor stuff in the General Programming Questions thread!!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Not like anyone was talking about anything else

Shuntly posted:

Everything that pertains to 'responsiveness' of a system ties in strongly to access time, random read, sequential read, and random write. Access time is an order of magnitude faster than a VRaptor. Please don't cherry pick, look at the rest of Anand's article. Shaving 20s off boot times? Yes please. Game loading times are usually pure sequential read (Far Cry 2 is an exception), and if you can cut them in half it has a large impact on the user experience.

If you already have 4GB of RAM (which cost you a whole $70), SSDs are your only real option for improving responsiveness from a hardware perspective.

I see small improvements for big money. Whoop de doo. How much extra time am I going to waste watching a script copy poo poo around so that poo poo will then load 10 seconds faster? Bet it's more than 10 seconds.

Install the 64-bit OS and software solves the memory problem for free.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm trying to have a piece of code that executes at midnight for visual basic, and I'm having trouble doing so. Anyone know a link to a good tutorial?

If you need to schedule something to run regularly, 9 times out of 10 you should be using the Windows Scheduler to just run your program at a specified time (as opposed to having your program run 24/7 and check to see if it's midnight yet).

quote:

blah blah blah hard drives anandtech articles

:ughh:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

csammis posted:

If you need to schedule something to run regularly, 9 times out of 10 you should be using the Windows Scheduler to just run your program at a specified time (as opposed to having your program run 24/7 and check to see if it's midnight yet).
I probably should've mentioned that it is part of a DLL I'm making for someone, so that is not an option.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I probably should've mentioned that it is part of a DLL I'm making for someone, so that is not an option.

Install your program as an auto-run service I guess?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I wish CoC had a strict mod.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?

Scaevolus posted:

use strict;

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Triple Tech posted:

use strict;
That is SO not the new religion.
code:
SAForumMod CoCMod = SAModFactory.fetchSAMod((SAForumVisitor)this);
CoCMod.setAttrib(new SAModAttrib(SAPolicy.Strict));
CoCMod.doit();

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Scaevolus posted:

I've been wandering around here for a good few months now, and can't recall a single instance of moderator action. So I'd say delete "strict" from your wish.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

The only one that comes to mind for me is hexadecimal getting banned, and I think that happened outside SH/SC anyway.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
UggBoots got probated :laugh:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
For too many reports.

And yes, hexadecimal (perma'd user enenthogen) got banned after posting in yospos.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

pokeyman posted:

I've been wandering around here for a good few months now, and can't recall a single instance of moderator action. So I'd say delete "strict" from your wish.

I think teapot got permabanned from here, but that would have been further back than a few months.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
SH/SC almost certianly.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

I think teapot got permabanned from here, but that would have been further back than a few months.

Yeah I remember teapot getting banned, but that was a while ago.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

tef posted:

And yes, hexadecimal (perma'd user enenthogen)
Oh really? I missed that memo. Given the wrath he generated with his posts, I guess he really should be crowned as Best SH/SC Troll.

:patriot: !(x ^ y) :patriot:

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Does anybody know of any decent function generator libraries for C++? By function generator, I mean a library that will allow me to generate squarewaves, sinewaves, etc. of specific frequencies and amplitudes.

If possible, one that allows me to send these to the speakers would be helpful.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

tef posted:

SH/SC almost certianly.

If you're talking about teapot's permaban, it was in CoC

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Dijkstracula posted:

Oh really? I missed that memo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3057002&pagenumber=1#post355159936

Where is Unabomber, I always enjoyed his C arguments.

csammis posted:

If you're talking about teapot's permaban, it was in CoC

I must have been confusing it with one of his many bans in sh/sc.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

Where is Unabomber, I always enjoyed his C arguments.

Back when I had PMs I talked to him once, he's got some sort of family poo poo going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
If the Twilight theme for Textmate is freely available, can someone link to it or upload it? I plan to port it to Notepad++.