Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blemish
Jun 27, 2005

RABID MEAT PIES
I've got this M-Audio Axiom 25, and it seems to work well enough, but I can't use the pads/keyboard/knobs independent of whatever .vst is running. Ideally, I'd like to have my eight pads loaded with my samples while my keyboard controls synth software, but neither M-Audio or Image-Line have been any help. Can I really only use one feature at a time? Seems pretty limited. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Blemish posted:

I've got this M-Audio Axiom 25, and it seems to work well enough, but I can't use the pads/keyboard/knobs independent of whatever .vst is running. Ideally, I'd like to have my eight pads loaded with my samples while my keyboard controls synth software, but neither M-Audio or Image-Line have been any help. Can I really only use one feature at a time? Seems pretty limited. Any ideas?

By Image-Line, I presume you're using Fruity Loops?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Has anybody used a Presonus FireBox?

I was thinking of getting something for my OSX Laptop, a smaller interface. It has the I/O's I need, I'm just wondering the quality of the product, the preamps, etc.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

I was thinking of getting something for my OSX Laptop, a smaller interface. It has the I/O's I need, I'm just wondering the quality of the product, the preamps, etc.

One of the best firewire cards for the money. I used a OSX laptop with one for about 6 months in Live 6 and never crashed once or lost sync. I had about 3-4 ms latency.

Blemish
Jun 27, 2005

RABID MEAT PIES

Kai was taken posted:

By Image-Line, I presume you're using Fruity Loops?

I was, but I found my copy of Cubase LE4 this afternoon, so I think I'll be using that. I have a Creative Labs Live! SB Sound Blaster as well.

My Lexicon interface is showing up as my inputs/outputs for audio in LE4 and there are no other alternatives listed. I can hear the cheap tones of a generic synth, but no .vst files seem to be around/able to activate.

Blemish
Jun 27, 2005

RABID MEAT PIES

Kai was taken posted:

They're the best thing ever. You can find them relatively cheap (~$300) on Craigslist, if that's your thing, but in any case the software is great and the FireBox is as sturdy as it gets. Plenty of inputs, too.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I am just starting in ableton live but am lacking a controller. What really should I be looking for in a controller for around $150?

I'm thinking of either getting the axiom in the op http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Advan...42140598&sr=1-1

or the keystation. http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Keystation-61es-61-Key-Keyboard/dp/B0002H0GF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1242025990&sr=8-1

Keystation lacks trigger pads, and really any control, but does have more keys. Would I benefit more by having the pads, but way less keys?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah get the axiom

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 8, 2014

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
More of a help question but seeing as we're already talking audio interfaces. The last few days, randomly (as far as I can tell) my sound will just stop. I'm using a Edirol FA-66 and I believe that's the problem. Sometimes just turning it off then on again will fix it, sometimes I'll need to restart. Anyways, I haven't the slightest idea whats causing it and Edirol's help pages are loving useless, anyone got any idea?

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

new song im workin on

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

trill rear end posted:

new song im workin on

As a dj I hate that intro, the breakdown is nice, and then back to a mess... not nearly as good as what you've previously posted.

It feels like some little kid was handed a 49 key with a basstation running and told "have fun..." which might work for some. I'd spin the last track you posted and actually was thinking about working it into a set here in a few weeks, but this isn't nearly up to the same level.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm looking for a MIDI keyboard/controller to go with my current setup (couple of condensers, Mackie Onyx Satellite Interface, Cubase Studio 5). Ideally I think I want at least 3 octaves and plenty of dials and things that can be mapped to synth parameters and such in the DAW. I'll consider less keys if there's a massive price jump, but I'm a pianist as well so I may want to record some relatively complex parts. I don't want to spend the earth, maybe up to about £300 pounds, but ideally around £200 if possible. Anyone currently using anything like this who'd like to recommend their kit?

edit: It looks like I don't have to spend as much as I thought. Has anyone used either of these?
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/13886-e-mu-xboard-61-pro-usb-midi-controller-keyboard.html
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/14583-m-audio-oxygen-61-61-key-usb-midi-controller-.html

chippy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 13, 2009

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I've been having some issues about how to do things live, my younger brother is the Musical Genius, and I'm more technical with an ear for good music/rhythm and crazy psychedelic ideas, so I think we'd make a good team, especially with me taking care of technical poo poo my brother can't really handle. It's just I always get lag when I'm using firewire + ableton or Logic or anything we've tried...Is it the firewire or my computer (Macbook Pro, but I have a PowerMac G5 (tower) that I'm gonna start using)

I feel like its "cheating" if I just load my brother's samples etc into ableton and hit "play". But I guess it's not? When I think about it he's got crazy ambient epic landscapes and poo poo that we'd need like 9 people to each play in a traditional band setting, and we're looking to make music just me and him, and maybe a drummer and bassist. And using Ableton is the best way to arrange and play these kinds of things.

Its just I don't see how we could do it live, with the lag and poo poo, and setting up different songs in Ableton...there's too many sounds to handle.

What I have:
Axiom 25
Ableton Live
Macbook Pro
Presonus FireWire interface (8 Ports)
Shitloads of instruments that all lag a half second or so when interfaced into ableton

I've been thinking about getting the APC40 which works directly with live, I just don't know if it's enough to handle the scale of music we're trying to do.

I don't know exactly what I'm asking, maybe just for a push in the right the direction, I'm not completely dumbfounded when it comes to this stuff, just a little.

For an example, here's something my brother made in Fruity Loops (It's worth a full listen, though my favorite part kicks off around 4:15, also it's not perfectly mastered)

I would have no idea how to make this live with ableton and what I have...And when we start from scratch in ableton and record loops from instruments and things, it quickly becomes too large and complex to really work with.

When we "jam" though, its more basic and we can't reach the scale of the poo poo he makes in fruity loops in his free time when he's bored...Its more "band" like, and simple. We'd like to be able to merge the two, his complex 100+ pattern songs with the simple "band" style...

I don't know, any help is appreciated, if anything, enjoy the song, feedback is welcome and appreciated.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

colonp posted:

On the topic of MIDI controllers, anyone have experience with the Korg Microkontrol? I might plan to sell my Axiom 25 and get one of those instead if it's nice.
i have one and it rules. i dont think they make them anymore though. now its the kontrol49 i believe.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

I was never able to get the bundled software that came with my microkontrol to work, anyone have suggestions for freeware alternatives?

Also, anyone mind giving me a rundown on how to create jungle and breakbeats? Not how to cut existing beats up, I can do that, but what part of a drum kit needs to hit where for it to get the 'feel' of each type of beat.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rainbow_Horse posted:

I was never able to get the bundled software that came with my microkontrol to work, anyone have suggestions for freeware alternatives?
Which software came with it, and where did you get cockblocked? If you bought it secondhand, the previous owner might've been a dick with registering, if you bought it new, a call to Korg support and handing them a copy of your receipt might help.

quote:

Also, anyone mind giving me a rundown on how to create jungle and breakbeats?
You've casted your net pretty wide :). Any specific artists or tracks?

quote:

Not how to cut existing beats up, I can do that, but what part of a drum kit needs to hit where for it to get the 'feel' of each type of beat.
Do you have cuts of a single hihat or a double one? Usually the "swing" that's in a double gives it the not-so-linear quality. Also, one snare drum is not enough - read up on ghost notes and make sure you've got samples of that too.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

Yoozer posted:

Which software came with it, and where did you get cockblocked? If you bought it secondhand, the previous owner might've been a dick with registering, if you bought it new, a call to Korg support and handing them a copy of your receipt might help.

You've casted your net pretty wide :). Any specific artists or tracks?

Do you have cuts of a single hihat or a double one? Usually the "swing" that's in a double gives it the not-so-linear quality. Also, one snare drum is not enough - read up on ghost notes and make sure you've got samples of that too.

Thanks for the reply. I figured my request would be pretty complicated, but any sort of starting point would be enough for me. I'm not trying to recreate anything specific, I just want to draw upon the feel to liven my sequencing up. The ghost notes and single/double hihat are a good start.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The drums in Pendulum tracks are usually very tight and machine-like. The loops in the earlier LTJ Bukem work are more relaxed, and variation is introduced by retriggering the entire loop instead of a portion. Further tricks involve slicing a breakbeat up in parts using markers, and then replacing each "block" with a different instrument - so you take the Amen, slice it up and mark the positions where you hear a snare drum, and replace that with your own snare, and so on - for every instrument. This retains the groove but avoids the Amen cliche.

So, that's why I asked about the style :).

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
I don't usually make tracks that I would class as being particularly dancy, but I've put one together which I think is pretty rad and wondered what the mob in this thread thought. Ignore the name, it's not trance. Sensible naming is hard.

If you like it, you might also like this, similar veined track. I made this one first, kinda liked the vibe, and set out to make another one with the same sort of mentality (stupid amounts of sidechain compression etc.) It has a bit of a fun silliness I think?

What do you electronic/club/DJ music boffins think?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

RizieN posted:

I've been having some issues about how to do things live, my younger brother is the Musical Genius, and I'm more technical with an ear for good music/rhythm and crazy psychedelic ideas, so I think we'd make a good team, especially with me taking care of technical poo poo my brother can't really handle. It's just I always get lag when I'm using firewire + ableton or Logic or anything we've tried...Is it the firewire or my computer (Macbook Pro, but I have a PowerMac G5 (tower) that I'm gonna start using)

Your brother's song sounds pretty good. With clever application of layers/sections in some good MIDI controllers you could certainly go a long way towards reproducing this live with just 2 guys on keyboards, a drummer and bassist.

There's no complicated keyboard parts, so with 4 hands you ought to be able to play 4 instruments with a bit of practice and talent. You may find it easier to have certain tracks running as backing tracks though. Typically the paddy atmospheric stuff, but whatever works for you... it's just that having a lead line played via a backing track is a) tricky and b) lame. The audience doesn't notice the background chords/noise so much, the leads stand out.

As far as latency goes, you definitely should not be suffering half a second lag through the Presonus into Live. I would guess that you should be able to get it down to around 20ms with correct configuration. Make sure you are using the ASIO drivers, that you are buffering only a modest number of samples (512 or less probably), and you're set to 44.1/24 not some stupid moon numbers like 196/48.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Thanks for the feedback, I think when I get more money I'm going to spring for an APC40 controller to control the ambient background things. My brother has 2 keyboards, one is of epic proportions, I forget what its called but my dad got him a 2000 dollar yamaha, and its absolutely ridiculous; and I've got my axiom and an X50 that needs a power cord. So we definitely won't be playing leads through a backing track.

I'm gonna gently caress with the equipment and take the advice when we get together next, thanks.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

mezzir posted:

More of a help question but seeing as we're already talking audio interfaces. The last few days, randomly (as far as I can tell) my sound will just stop. I'm using a Edirol FA-66 and I believe that's the problem. Sometimes just turning it off then on again will fix it, sometimes I'll need to restart. Anyways, I haven't the slightest idea whats causing it and Edirol's help pages are loving useless, anyone got any idea?

Anyone? Happening more than ever now, though restarting the audio interface and the programs using it usually fixes it. but still, reinstalled the drivers and all and it's still happening :/

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

mezzir posted:

Anyone? Happening more than ever now, though restarting the audio interface and the programs using it usually fixes it. but still, reinstalled the drivers and all and it's still happening :/

I get the same problem with my Alesis io26. Also Firewire. My suspicion is that the interface loses sync with the computer, since the interface is still clearly working as direct monitoring is fine. I'm not really sure what to try other than a different firewire cable or port. What I've been doing is leaving the interface unplugged when I'm not using it so that it's always freshly synced when I want to work.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Vanmani posted:

I get the same problem with my Alesis io26. Also Firewire. My suspicion is that the interface loses sync with the computer, since the interface is still clearly working as direct monitoring is fine. I'm not really sure what to try other than a different firewire cable or port. What I've been doing is leaving the interface unplugged when I'm not using it so that it's always freshly synced when I want to work.
Seems like a good idea, but all my audio goes through this and I have something playing 95% of the time I'm on my computer :/ Even just playing tf2 over the course of a long couple games it'll go from being fine to stuttering a little. Also increasing the buffer doesn't seem to help, still happens even when I have the 'max buffer' setting checked.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

mezzir posted:

Seems like a good idea, but all my audio goes through this and I have something playing 95% of the time I'm on my computer :/ Even just playing tf2 over the course of a long couple games it'll go from being fine to stuttering a little. Also increasing the buffer doesn't seem to help, still happens even when I have the 'max buffer' setting checked.

For what it's worth, I have an FA-66 and I haven't had any sound issues yet. Haven't done any custom config, and I'm usually working in Ableton or Acid Pro. The games I've played haven't given me issues either.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

one more vote for the firebox, it's an outstanding soundcard. plus if you use it on osx it's firewire powered (whereas on PC's requires a power brick).

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

mezzir posted:

I use a xiosynth as my interface in xp and the same thing happens, but only for a half second randomly every 1hr or so. It disappears for days to reappear randomly. It is like I run livecut and supatrigga on my whole system all the time.

I hacked my bias to host vsts and now I cant get supatrigga to stop glitching tf2:420:.

Seriously it glitches randomnly, but not enough to drive me nuts. I tried sample rate changes and buffer changes, and asio4all.

I am getting a tascam us1641 in about a week, and a second custom built rackmount quad cord rig. I will see if it still happens then.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

xpander posted:

For what it's worth, I have an FA-66 and I haven't had any sound issues yet. Haven't done any custom config, and I'm usually working in Ableton or Acid Pro. The games I've played haven't given me issues either.

Yeah I've had the FA-66 for over a year and this only just just started happening, so overall I'm still happy with the unit. But god drat, its annoying.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is there any videos on how to make some simple beats in ableton? Like simple hip hop beats? I've watched some videos on youtube, but they seem to all focus on parts of ableton.

I just want a beginners video to start, with creating a simple drum and bass line to work with.

I'm completely knew at ableton and don't know where to jump in.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Harminoff posted:

Is there any videos on how to make some simple beats in ableton? Like simple hip hop beats? I've watched some videos on youtube, but they seem to all focus on parts of ableton.

I just want a beginners video to start, with creating a simple drum and bass line to work with.

Doesn't Live have a creating beats tutorial built-in?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harminoff posted:

The manual?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Harminoff posted:

You are either very lazy or very dumb. This is linked from within the help view

Also, the manual.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I know about the manual. I was talking more about things like this
http://www.vtc.com/products/Ableton-Live-7-Tutorials.htm

and this

http://www.groove3.com/str/ableton-live-training/

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I am looking into making some techno music/beats via a synthesizer just for fun and looking for something to just play around with. First thought after watching some videos was to pick up a Korg Kaossilator as I am not at all familiar with playing a piano. While I was in the local guitar shop, a salesguy directed me over to the NI Maschine if I wanted to make some music. It seemed pretty intuitive to use, but I didn't pull the trigger (600 is about my max and the Maschine was 600).

Am I on the wrong path for a newbie getting into this? Do I go with something like the Kaossilator or something very robust like the Maschine? Or do I look at something completely different?

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

Spy posted:

So I am looking into making some techno music/beats via a synthesizer just for fun and looking for something to just play around with. First thought after watching some videos was to pick up a Korg Kaossilator as I am not at all familiar with playing a piano. While I was in the local guitar shop, a salesguy directed me over to the NI Maschine if I wanted to make some music. It seemed pretty intuitive to use, but I didn't pull the trigger (600 is about my max and the Maschine was 600).

Am I on the wrong path for a newbie getting into this? Do I go with something like the Kaossilator or something very robust like the Maschine? Or do I look at something completely different?

I haven't used it before but the Maschine looks like a pretty cool to me. It's a combination hardware/software device that emulates some MPC-like hardware sampler/sequencer features but adds computer connectivity. It's nice to have a device that has both though, hands on hardware with the power of computers added on. I haven't used one before but that's my impression, I recently spoke to a friend who moved to the Maschine from an MPC. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken and this device is poo poo.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Spy posted:

I would just get some production software if I were you. Also, read as much as you can about different electronic music producers/styles, it helps to be knowledgeable about all the different genres once you get out of the "I'm just gonna gently caress around and make noises" stage.

The OP of this thread has a list of popular production software, and some of them offer free demos if you want to try it out before laying down some cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I own and use Maschine. I'm a big fan of Native Instruments, pretty much all of their products are very nice. If you only want to make beats, Maschine is an awesome environment to do it in. If anyone is thinking about buying it I urge them to check out NI's website and watch the videos that basically lay out everything there is to know about Maschine. You can see them here: http://www.native-instruments.com/newreleases/#/en/products/producer/maschine/

• Locked thread