Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unreal
Mar 14, 2007
unf! unf!
I've been searching for an hour and I can't find it. The game was released around the time of Jazz Jackrabbit (So about 1994/95). It was a top-down shooter and you flew a hovering ship of doom. It wasn't an on-the-rails shooter where the screen scrolled automatically, but the camera followed you as you banked around 360 degrees. At first I thought it was raptor, but no, that's a standard scrolling shmup.

I'm sorry I can't give more details, if I could I'd probably be able to find it myself.

Unreal fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Unreal posted:

I've been searching for an hour and I can't find it. The game was released around the time of Jazz Jackrabbit (So about 1994/95). It was a top-down shooter and you flew a hovering ship of doom. It wasn't an on-the-rails shooter where the screen scrolled automatically, but the camera followed you as you banked around 360 degrees. At first I thought it was raptor, but no, that's a standard scrolling shmup.

I'm sorry I can't give more details, if I could I'd probably be able to find it myself.

Zone 66, maybe?

Unreal
Mar 14, 2007
unf! unf!
That's very close in terms of gameplay, so we're on the right track now. The graphics in the game I'm thinking of were tighter, crisper. Probably more CGI-ish pre-rendered looking, if that makes sense.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Crash Fistfight posted:

There was this PC game i used to play at my mate's house in the mid- to late nineties. It was a first person adventure game, set in an oblivion-like world (i think), that started out with you working on your family's farm.

I'm trying my hardest to remember it, but i only played it like two or three times. It just stuck with me because it seemed really cool.

I also remember the graphics were pretty good too, but this was one of the first times i'd seen real 3d graphics, so i could be wrong.

It might have been called dragon- something, but i really can't remember.

If i can come up with more about the game i'll come back with it

Any chance this was Dragon Lore? I remember it as less adventure and more RPG, but I never got that far in it: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dragon-lore-the-legend-begins

roushimsx
Dec 1, 2002

Unreal posted:

That's very close in terms of gameplay, so we're on the right track now. The graphics in the game I'm thinking of were tighter, crisper. Probably more CGI-ish pre-rendered looking, if that makes sense.

Fire Fight?

Unreal
Mar 14, 2007
unf! unf!

roushimsx posted:

Fire Fight?

YESSSSSSS. Thank you! :dance:

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
Looking for 2D space themed RTS for the PC. You would deploy ships that would spawn lots of humanoid robot drones that would float toward the enemy side typically meeting up at a sort of skirmish line halfway across the field of battle. You directly control a hero character in a sort of Gundam super robot suit that had special attacks like swarms of missiles or a huge fuckoff giant laser blast.

Also I think it was badly translated from or actually mostly in Japanese. I remember a thread about it either here or in GBS like 5 years ago.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
Maybe it's Liberation Army. Click here to go to a post in GBS about it, with screenshots and a download link.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Saint Septimus posted:

Maybe it's Liberation Army. Click here to go to a post in GBS about it, with screenshots and a download link.

Yeah thats it. Thanks!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I have asked this before, I *think* in a Post Your Request thread like this, but I don't have Archives and I stupidly forgot the game. I probably asked in '06. Got an answer pretty quick amazingly. Don't know if Search works at the moment, or how easy it would to post history.

It starts out in First Person view in your apartment, you have some sort of VR thing on your eye, and you have to go to work. You grab your keycard and leave your apartment. 1995ish is around when I played it.

I'm amazed someone knew what I was talking about considering how little I remember/know about the game. I couldn't even figure out how to get to work in the game. :argh:

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
That's probably one of the Journeyman Project series. I've only played the Turbo version, but it starts in the same way you described.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Saint Septimus posted:

That's probably one of the Journeyman Project series. I've only played the Turbo version, but it starts in the same way you described.

Wow that was quick, you rock. Both times I've asked this, I figured noway in hell someone can figure it out from my crappy explanation. Pretty awesome.

:hfive: Thanks!

Unreal
Mar 14, 2007
unf! unf!
Here's two more I can't figure out for the life of me.

First up: It's a side-scrolling platformer from around 92-94. You're a wizard/mage, and you have a wand that you can use to zap tiles while you go around collecting treasure. It's not Hocus Pocus.

Second: It's an obsure FPS, based around the Build engine (or very similar). You can chose from a few different "classes", one of which his a big mutant guy. One of the weapons includes a fletchet rifle. It's not Rise of the Triad. It's more Sci-fi-ish.

roushimsx
Dec 1, 2002

Unreal posted:

Second: It's an obsure FPS, based around the Build engine (or very similar). You can chose from a few different "classes", one of which his a big mutant guy. One of the weapons includes a fletchet rifle. It's not Rise of the Triad. It's more Sci-fi-ish.
Are you thinking of Eradicator?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Two things that are a big help in figuring out a game are the year you played it and the kind of system you played it on. Obviously, the more specific the better, but saying something as vague as "the early 90s" or "an arcade game" can still help narrow things down quite a bit.

Unreal
Mar 14, 2007
unf! unf!

roushimsx posted:

Are you thinking of Eradicator?

You're an encyclopedia of classic gaming. I thank you again. :golfclap:

My apologies for not specifying a system. The Hocus Pocus-esque game is for PC.

EDIT:

I found it purely by chance. 5 hours later (hurray lazy sundays) I came across it by chance. Clyde's Adventure and its sequel, Clyde's Revenge.

Unreal fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 18, 2009

Crash Fistfight
Mar 29, 2007

First now I understood the true complexity of women.

Bob Loblaw posted:

Any chance this was Dragon Lore? I remember it as less adventure and more RPG, but I never got that far in it: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dragon-lore-the-legend-begins

Haha, wow that's the one! Thanks!
Hard to believe how lovely it looks compared to how impressed i was at the time

FunnyFatGuy
Jan 15, 2008
A game that ive been trying to remember the name of for years i think it was a dos game. You would have pieces to build a base with on mars i think then you could place like a laser in the rooms that you build. Aliens would come and attack your base and when they destroy a piece of the base your guys would be sucked out into space.

The Stupid Hat
May 6, 2007
Just here to lurk
It's been driving me nuts trying to remember the name of a game from my youth.

It was a mech action game for the SNES. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I seem to remember it like this:

It was essentially a platformer, with some space shooter aspects. You could select to be a red mech, a blue mech, or a yellow mech that resembled a cat. The red and blue mechs could fly, and the cat couldn't, but the cat could go down narrow passageways. You could switch between them during the game, and I think it was two-player. There was another mech that could be unlocked later on, but I could never get that far. I think it had a sword.

Am I just completely nuts or does this game sound at all familiar to anybody?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Metal Warriors?

pud
Jul 9, 2001

The Stupid Hat posted:

It's been driving me nuts trying to remember the name of a game from my youth.

It was a mech action game for the SNES. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I seem to remember it like this:

It was essentially a platformer, with some space shooter aspects. You could select to be a red mech, a blue mech, or a yellow mech that resembled a cat. The red and blue mechs could fly, and the cat couldn't, but the cat could go down narrow passageways. You could switch between them during the game, and I think it was two-player. There was another mech that could be unlocked later on, but I could never get that far. I think it had a sword.

Am I just completely nuts or does this game sound at all familiar to anybody?

Xardion.

The Stupid Hat
May 6, 2007
Just here to lurk
Thanks so much, I remember this being a pretty fun game and I've been wanting to try it out again.

Colon B
Dec 9, 2008

:B
I think it came out around 01-03 on the PC. Something around there.

It was a fantasy-based game, kind of like an RPG. You could be a warrior, a mage, and something else (probably a hybrid).

The game was not continuous like most RPGs. Instead each level was a mission, and you just went into the mission, fought a boss and left. I don't recall any lead-ups to the bosses. It was basically an arena-type game.

In between each mission you used money / exp to buy upgrades / spells / weapons for the next mission, and so on.

That's really all I can remember, but it's killing me trying to figure out what it is.

Also it's third person, if that helps at all. Like, the camera follows the person from behind.

It isn't Golden Axe.

Colon B fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 26, 2009

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

This isn't really a game I know of, but someone might recognise this. My friend found a cool picture and we'd both like to know where it's from. He can't remember where he found it. Any help would be appreciated.

To me it looks like concept art, maybe for a random enemy in a game, or perhaps some player class. Could also be someone's elaborate rendition of their WoW character but looks too um, restrained.

Click here for the full 580x750 image.

Zames
Oct 18, 2004
This game was a Scorched Earth/Tank-style game, except it was in outer space and you were satellites or ships or something. There were planets scattered across the playing field, and you could fire shots and carefully aim them so as to take advantage of the planets' gravity. There was the usual variety of crazy-rear end weapons to take advantage of, of course.

VV Yep. Thanks. VV

Zames fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 26, 2009

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005
That's Warheads SE most likely.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Corridor posted:

This isn't really a game I know of, but someone might recognise this. My friend found a cool picture and we'd both like to know where it's from. He can't remember where he found it. Any help would be appreciated.
I can't say for sure but the design reminds me of something from Warhammer 40,000.

Silver Rocket
Sep 2, 2007
Alright, there was this demo that came with my ps1 which was a fairly generic side-scrolling shooter. I think you flew through space shooting purple lasers. Probably came out between '96 and '97. I know that's quite vague, but its really all I can recall.

Another easier title: I think you played Goofy and you were in some haunted mansion. I remember it being particularly difficult for my young self.

Samnit
Jun 25, 2004

Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon merangue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators.
There was this amazing, simple PC game that I played several years ago. I distinctly remember the game having character sprites from Wolfenstein/Doom. The game was for two players, one playing the hunted and the other playing the hunter. The hunter had a 1 shot pistol, and his goal was to locate the hunted among a huge crowd of the sprites mentioned above. The hunter would have to use a sonar-like device to home in on the target. If you've played this game, then the above is more than enough information to identify it, and you are already thinking 'drat, I've got to play this game again.'

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Unreal posted:

Here's two more I can't figure out for the life of me.

First up: It's a side-scrolling platformer from around 92-94. You're a wizard/mage, and you have a wand that you can use to zap tiles while you go around collecting treasure. It's not Hocus Pocus.

Probably too old, but the tile-zapping wand makes me think of Solomon's Key.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I remember playing some game where a male character says
"That's beaucoups bucks too many!" in what I believe is a Texan-sounding voice, possibly when you're trying to buy something you can't afford. That one quote is echoing repeatedly in my head, and I can't place it. Might be a point-and-click adventure game, might even be Full Throttle—does anyone know offhand?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I remember playing some game where a male character says
"That's beaucoups bucks too many!" in what I believe is a Texan-sounding voice, possibly when you're trying to buy something you can't afford. That one quote is echoing repeatedly in my head, and I can't place it. Might be a point-and-click adventure game, might even be Full Throttle—does anyone know offhand?

Pimp's Quest

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Polsy posted:

Pimp's Quest

Hahaha, right, figures it would be a Newgrounds game I played like five years ago and completely forgot about.

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~
Alright, here's one that's been bothering me for, I think, years now.

I think it was on the SNES, I remember it having those kind of graphics. The characters were cavemen, it was dinosaur-themed, but it WASN'T that one called Joe and Something or whatever, I've tried it. Basically it was a run-from-left-to-right type of game, and you had a club that shot out different things when you swung it. You'd pick up different weapons to shoot out, I remember some being a boomerang and a wheel.

The game was two player, and I think the cavemen had blue and green hair. I think the ending might've been you beating the boss, then credits roll while you watch the cavemen run from all the caveladies they saved (including a beastly looking one).

As much as I remember all those details I can't remember the drat name! Help me out here.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Heres a fucker of an obscure one for you lot, foggily remembered from my five year old self in a British bedroom in 1987. Can still remember picking it out randomly at WH Smiths.

On the Sinclar ZX.... a game where you have to rob things from houses, and if you're caught you go to a red-brick (I think) jail and have to break out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SUBLIME! posted:

Alright, here's one that's been bothering me for, I think, years now.

I think it was on the SNES, I remember it having those kind of graphics. The characters were cavemen, it was dinosaur-themed, but it WASN'T that one called Joe and Something or whatever, I've tried it. Basically it was a run-from-left-to-right type of game, and you had a club that shot out different things when you swung it. You'd pick up different weapons to shoot out, I remember some being a boomerang and a wheel.

The game was two player, and I think the cavemen had blue and green hair. I think the ending might've been you beating the boss, then credits roll while you watch the cavemen run from all the caveladies they saved (including a beastly looking one).

As much as I remember all those details I can't remember the drat name! Help me out here.

I don't know why you said it isn't Joe and Mac because this is exactly Joe and Mac.

krael
Feb 4, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know why you said it isn't Joe and Mac because this is exactly Joe and Mac.

Either that or "Prehistorik".

I think there's a sequel as well, Prehistorik 2 :)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Simiain posted:

Heres a fucker of an obscure one for you lot, foggily remembered from my five year old self in a British bedroom in 1987. Can still remember picking it out randomly at WH Smiths.

On the Sinclar ZX.... a game where you have to rob things from houses, and if you're caught you go to a red-brick (I think) jail and have to break out.

Saboteur?

Funnyologism
Feb 14, 2006

Labor produces all wealth; all wealth belongs to the producer thereof.
Racing game from around 97 or 98. 3D graphics in glorious 256 color VGA. You can choose different drivers and they all have their own vehicles. There's one guy named Tank and I think he drives a bus. Another called Nail drives a hummer or something. I think you race across volcanic and urban hellscapes.

Another is this fighting game in a cartoonish SVGA style from the same period. I think you controlled anthropomorphic rats and mice in robot suits. Or something. Anyway you could not just punch and kick and use special moves but also fire machine guns. I remember there was an ammo counter.

Another! Mid-90s Edutainment game in VGA. I think it was French since you can choose between French and English in the menu. Third person, you control this little boy who walks around a castle. There are many different areas for you to engage in various educational activities. You can water plants in the garden, play with colors in the studio, watch the stars in the planetarium etc.

Funnyologism fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Simiain posted:

This is definitely Crimebusters.

• Locked thread