Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wettos posted:

Any suggestions for meeting cool mid 20s people in palo alto? I'm having a hard time ..

ask all the 35-year-olds with babies if they have younger siblings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

wettos posted:

Any suggestions for meeting cool mid 20s people in palo alto? I'm having a hard time ..

Hit Nolas, Blue Chalk, and Old Pro on Ramona Street, and B412 (which is on Emerson next to the Aquarius Theater) are the best places during the night hours. During the day, Stanford, Uni and Cal Ave are where to go in the day.

Honestly, if you ain't raising a family or are from Stanferd, I'd look elsewhere from Palo Alto to socialize. That's why I left - that city's too much like f-ing Disneyland.

wettos
Mar 29, 2008
Yeah I want to get out but I just can't stomach commuting from SF. I work long hours and driving 40 mins at night before I can crash is killer.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

wettos posted:

Yeah I want to get out but I just can't stomach commuting from SF. I work long hours and driving 40 mins at night before I can crash is killer.

Yep, I know the feeling - it really is a hassle to commute to have fun, especially when you're tired. San Jose and Mountain View's downtown are more manageable at about 20 minutes away.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah downtown MV isnt bad. Check out Castro st.

ZsaZsa
Mar 20, 2008
I am going on a trip with a friend to San Fran here in a couple weeks, if that poker night is still going on i'd love to get more details.

ZsaZsa fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 28, 2009

CurlyFries
Jul 7, 2004

wettos posted:

I'm 23 and live in Menlo Park and have had the same problem... I got tired of Nolas/ old pro/ blue chalk really quickly. I'm actually thinking about moving up to the city and dealing with the commute. Hit me with a pm if you want to talk local spots.

Fairly Incredible
Aug 27, 2007

Somewhat extraordinary

CurlyFries posted:

I'm 23 and live in Menlo Park and have had the same problem... I got tired of Nolas/ old pro/ blue chalk really quickly. I'm actually thinking about moving up to the city and dealing with the commute. Hit me with a pm if you want to talk local spots.
I'm moving to downtown Mountain View in a few weeks. I hope there's some young, interesting people there... I *really* don't want to have to commute from the city. :(

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

Fairly Incredible posted:

I'm moving to downtown Mountain View in a few weeks. I hope there's some young, interesting people there... I *really* don't want to have to commute from the city. :(

-keeps pointing to Mountain View, San Jose and back up to San Francisco-

wettos
Mar 29, 2008
MV downtown is pretty bad too.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I'm flying out of SFO next week and am planning on staying at the Mark Hopkins hotel as there is a dirt cheap rate right now on all the travel sites. I want to return a rental car at the airport, and was planning on taking BART from SFO to powell st and walking the rest of the way so I don't have to hold onto the car any longer than I have to. If I buy a round trip ticket, can I use it the next day to get back to the airport? Any reason any of this is a dumb idea?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You will probably not want to walk up that hill. Take a cab or the cable car if there isn't a huge line. I mean you could do it but it wouldn't be pleasant. I live 2 incredibly steep blocks down the hill from there and the walk from Powell to my apartment is one of my least favorite things when I get back from a trip. Getting back down to Powell & Market is very easy though. One cheaper way to go is to get off at Montgomery or Embarcadero and take the #1 bus up Sacramento.

Here's a shot from flickr (that totally flattens the first few blocks)

There's one more block up California at the top of that too.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

SuicidalSmurf posted:

I'm flying out of SFO next week and am planning on staying at the Mark Hopkins hotel as there is a dirt cheap rate right now on all the travel sites. I want to return a rental car at the airport, and was planning on taking BART from SFO to powell st and walking the rest of the way so I don't have to hold onto the car any longer than I have to. If I buy a round trip ticket, can I use it the next day to get back to the airport? Any reason any of this is a dumb idea?

bart tickets don't expire, really. It's based on how much money is on the card.

Also, while the distance isn't very long, it's a pretty steep hill, especially if you have luggage. The cable car is a ripoff for $5 but i'd consider it.

edit: drat you qirex and having to peck on this tablet pc

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Can the cable car be caught at the powell station? I assume the station is at the bottom of that hill then?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Can the cable car be caught at the powell station? I assume the station is at the bottom of that hill then?

You'll have to come out of the underground station and catch the cable car in the plaza.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Thanks for the help.

TOMSOVERBAGHDAD
Dec 26, 2004

Switzerland is small and neutral!
I'm going to be arriving in SF a day early for WWDC, and I'm wondering exactly what I can do in one day around there. I'd like to see as many "must-see" things as I possibly can - Golden Gate, Fisherman's Wharf, Lombard Street, all that jazz...but I'm wondering what else is a must-see.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'd say that Fisherman's Wharf is definitely not a must-see, more like a must-avoid unless you really like tourist traps with mediocre overpriced food. Any time you planned to spend there would be better spent in tons of other places, for example you could go to Golden Gate Park and start at the Conservatory of Flowers, walk down to the De Young Museum and go up into its free observation tower to get some great views of the city, then go across to the Academy of Sciences and check out the rainforest exhibit and the aquarium for an hour or two. Or you could go to Alamo Square and see the famous Painted Ladies houses and get an unrivaled view of downtown.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Fisherman's Wharf is really lame, except for In-n-Out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

stun runner posted:

Fisherman's Wharf is really lame, except for In-n-Out
and the sea lions and the Musee Mechanique but overall it's probably best avoided if you only have a day.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

qirex posted:

Musee Mechanique

:allears: My favorite place in SF. Take lots of change with you.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

qirex posted:

and the sea lions and the Musee Mechanique but overall it's probably best avoided if you only have a day.

There's also that world war II submarine that you can tour. I'm sure it's overpriced though.

Fisherman's wharf is largely a tourist trap as has been said, so it isn't a must see...but if you find yourself in Fisherman's wharf, i recommend:

-In-N-Out (really good for fast food)
-Musee Mechanique (cool old school arcade games)
-Sea Lions (they sit on pieces of wood in the bay off of Pier 39, and can be entertaining)
-Alcatraz (the ferries leave from fisherman's wharf)
-the Hyde Street Pier (a pier with a bunch of old sailing and steam ships docked at it. It's like a museum, you pay to enter, and then you can explore the pier and some of the boats.)
-Bushman (a guy who hides behind some branches, so he looks like a bush. He then pops out and scares unsuspecting tourists who pass by. He even has a wikipedia article now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Famous_Bushman)

strangeflavor
Oct 20, 2004

Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane

It's the funk doctor spock smoking buddha on a train
Well, I am headed to UC Berkeley as a transfer student next Fall. I'm going to be poor as gently caress but I want to avoid living in the dorms at all costs. Currently looking for off campus housing in some form or another with sub 900 rent. My Craigslist hunt has begun today as I am told the houses will start getting nabbed up beginning June 1st. My plan is to get a lease beginning in early summer and try to find a job for some cash before the semester starts. Any tips or leads are appreciated !

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
Greetings SF goons, my gf and I are planning on driving up to SF to do touristy things in a month or so. I haven't been to SF since 91 so I dont really know too much. I was wondering i have a budget of 75-175 per night for a hotel room, where can you guys suggest we stay? I checked up the sf.funcheap site and will definately do some of those things. Thanks for the help.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

strangeflavor posted:

Well, I am headed to UC Berkeley as a transfer student next Fall. I'm going to be poor as gently caress but I want to avoid living in the dorms at all costs. Currently looking for off campus housing in some form or another with sub 900 rent. My Craigslist hunt has begun today as I am told the houses will start getting nabbed up beginning June 1st. My plan is to get a lease beginning in early summer and try to find a job for some cash before the semester starts. Any tips or leads are appreciated !

Craigslist is the best place to find listings. I signed up for the university-housing website, and didn't find anything. For most places, you'll have an advantage if you have a credit report already printed out, a parent to co-sign, and (most importantly) you can move in immediately. For under $900, you won't find an apartment, but you can easily find a bedroom or roommate. You might want to consider on-campus housing the first year though. I was a transfer student too, and lived in off-campus housing, and felt like I was at a huge disadvantage meeting people. At the very least, living within walking distance of campus will help.

Kafkaeskimo
Jul 30, 2008
This Friday, a fellow goon and I are road tripping from Phoenix to San Francisco and then down Highway 1 before jumping on a plane at LAX for Puerto Vallarta (Swine Flu Megadeal). I'm most interested in advice on crash locations, but am welcome to any side advice you want to throw this way.

My questions are gonna have a cheapskate vibe, but we're just more interested in roughing it or trying to do guerrilla camping for the experience of it than the need to save cash.

1. We're working on couchsurfing in SF and I just found the CS Goons group. Sent a bunch of requests, so we'll see.

2. If driving, what's a good park n' ride spot for the BART if you want to take in Chinatown or another touristy spot for the night?

3. What do you guys recommend on Highway 1 as far as good stopping points, food, and camping? I'm really interested in checking out Big Sur and camping there for a night.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Anyone have recommendations for a motorcycle mechanic in the city? My bike is all sorts of weird and Ive given up hope it will sort itself off.

Jzf_K
Sep 1, 2002
JS
Going along the recommendation theme, does anyone have a guitar tech/shop they like...I just need to get my guitar set up (new strings, fretboard cleaned, intonation fixed, etc).

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Jzf_K posted:

Going along the recommendation theme, does anyone have a guitar tech/shop they like...I just need to get my guitar set up (new strings, fretboard cleaned, intonation fixed, etc).

I can't say from personal experience, but I've had a friend go to SF Guitar Works with excellent results. They also come highly recommended on Yelp (but who knows how reputable that site is anymore...)

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Anybody going to BFD this weekend?

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Thought I would try here before dealing with craigslist, but I'm heading to europe for three weeks and want to rent my place out. It's in a nice part of the Mission and would be ideal for someone searching for other housing. I'll be leaving July 1st. Work on price as time needed etc

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I'm going to be in Davis for a week or so in about a months time to do some research at the library there. To avoid me going out of my tiny mind and just living in an archive does anyone here know the town at all? Anything you guys can recommend to do there?

I know its not the Bay Area but I couldn't see a general California thread and I figured this might be the best place to find people who might know the town a bit.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

OrthoTrot posted:

I'm going to be in Davis for a week or so in about a months time to do some research at the library there. To avoid me going out of my tiny mind and just living in an archive does anyone here know the town at all? Anything you guys can recommend to do there?

I know its not the Bay Area but I couldn't see a general California thread and I figured this might be the best place to find people who might know the town a bit.

Are you over 21?

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Emasculatrix posted:

Are you over 21?

I am indeed. I presume from the question that your answer to my problem involves alcohol. I can live with that.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

OrthoTrot posted:

There's a Sacramento Goon Meet thread that may be helpful to ask in.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit

OrthoTrot posted:

:) I'm from Davis! There isn't a whole lot to do in the town itself but we're near a lot. Definitely check out the Sacramento goonmeet thread because Sac goons rock.

What kind of things are you into? It would definitely help narrow down things to do.

Some random suggestions:
On Saturdays theres a big farmers market in the Central Park
Theres Second Saturday in Sacramento (on the second Saturday, go figure!) where art galleries open up and its a big midtown party
The arboretum is gorgeous

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Well, I'm not particularly fussy. I'm really looking for touristy stuff to do when the library is closed - so all your suggestions sound pretty good. I tend to spend most of my time at the moment on left wing meetings, campaigns, and the like. I know its a liberal town, but is there much of a campaigning movement around?

I'll check out the Sacramento thread too. Thanks for the heads up and the suggestions!

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Make sure to check out Daviswiki.org!

Also, there aren't a ton of touristy activities in Davis, at least not that I know of. Here's a fun website I found for Sacramento though:

http://www.sacmag.com/media/Sacramento-Magazine/January-2007/50-Things-You-Must-Do-In-Sacramento/

One of my favorites from the list is Old Town Sacramento. It's small but cute and right on the river. :)

kohinoor
May 30, 2009

I have a ~1-week period to spend in California and the end of this month and I was thinking of starting near the bottom, in San Diego and working my way up to Sonoma/San Fran. I have about 9 days and want to do 1 beach day (in/around San Diego) and some desert-park type of visit as well, before making my way up to SF and trying some wine in Sonoma.

Can anyone recommend things that I should absolutely do and how realistic is it to have an enjoyable trip to CA if I have those 9 days, only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Lackadaisical posted:

Make sure to check out Daviswiki.org!

Also, there aren't a ton of touristy activities in Davis, at least not that I know of. Here's a fun website I found for Sacramento though:

http://www.sacmag.com/media/Sacramento-Magazine/January-2007/50-Things-You-Must-Do-In-Sacramento/

One of my favorites from the list is Old Town Sacramento. It's small but cute and right on the river. :)

Excellent, thanks! I'll have a look.

• Locked thread