Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MECH VITAE is already stupid.

ludnix posted:

What's surprising to me is that a lot of major coral sites still want to charge $40 for a small frag of it though despite the market saturation. Currently I'm just going to have to throw these away because I cannot find anyone to take them.

How much for shipping? My tank doesnt have any corals and if they're as hardy as I hear then I think one would make a perfect starter coral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx

Vitae posted:

How much for shipping? My tank doesnt have any corals and if they're as hardy as I hear then I think one would make a perfect starter coral
I think they would be fine through priority mail, which would be $4.80.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Any idea what this fella that just showed up today may be?

Never seen it before today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Originally I was going to guess some sort of calimorph (mushroom coral). But since I don't see a mouth on it, It can't be that.

Then I was guessing some sort of nudibranch but that still don't seem right.

Now I'm guessing dead coraline flake or sponge.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
The edges make it look like some sort of flat worm, but that would suggest it moves around. It does look like a coralimorph if that is just a weird elongated mouth, but then again it's a mushroom I've never seen before.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I probably should have elaborated. It does move around, and has two antennae. Although you can't see it in this pic, it has a white oval shaped spot on top of it. That was just a cell phone picture of it since it was handy.

I'll try and get a better image of it.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
Does it have any blue on it? The closest thing I could find was a Pseudoceros sapphirinus or maybe a Pseudobiceros uniarborensis, but both have coloration on the edges.

Anyways I think most decorative flatworms usually end up dying off before too long so I wouldn't be too concerned.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Nothing is missing or damaged, so I'll just keep an eye on things.

Thanks!

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Is this new live rock and where did you get it? I know some of the cultured rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater has all sorts of stuff on it.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

TooLShack posted:

Is this new live rock and where did you get it? I know some of the cultured rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater has all sorts of stuff on it.

I haven't put any rock in my tank in about 9-10 months. I got it at Water World over on 9th and Langley (you're still in Pensacola, right?)

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Sure am, real good friends with the guys at water world. If you are still in pensacola we should trade some frags.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I'm doing some work with zebra fish at my school and there are a couple 15 gallon, 30 gallon, and 80 gallon acrylic tanks vacant but hooked up to the lab's aquarium system. I'm thinking of using one of the spares to start up a reef fish aquarium but I'm not too sure how to go about this because of how those tanks are set up.

The lab aquarium is connected to a large seawater reservoir one story below that gets replenished with fresh sea water every 2 weeks. Each tank has an intake pipe that continuously pumps in seawater from the reservoir and an outtake pipe that drains into a collector that multiple tanks are arrayed above. Presumably the collector sends the water through a filtration system to be recycled.

The biggest issue is that the system keeps the seawater at a constant 17.5 degrees Celsius but reef tanks need a temperature of roughly 25 degrees Celsius. Would commercial heating elements be able to maintain the required temperature in the system that I described? I'm able to control the flow of water to each tank independent of each other.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx

theDOWmustflow posted:

I'm doing some work with zebra fish at my school and there are a couple 15 gallon, 30 gallon, and 80 gallon acrylic tanks vacant but hooked up to the lab's aquarium system. I'm thinking of using one of the spares to start up a reef fish aquarium but I'm not too sure how to go about this because of how those tanks are set up.

The lab aquarium is connected to a large seawater reservoir one story below that gets replenished with fresh sea water every 2 weeks. Each tank has an intake pipe that continuously pumps in seawater from the reservoir and an outtake pipe that drains into a collector that multiple tanks are arrayed above. Presumably the collector sends the water through a filtration system to be recycled.

The biggest issue is that the system keeps the seawater at a constant 17.5 degrees Celsius but reef tanks need a temperature of roughly 25 degrees Celsius. Would commercial heating elements be able to maintain the required temperature in the system that I described? I'm able to control the flow of water to each tank independent of each other.

It sounds like it's going to depend entirely on how fast you're planning on allowing flow through the tanks and reservoir. I can't imagine how to go about determining what sort of heating you'd need. Can you test it out with just the the water and some heaters?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Turns out that there are several temperature control units for different arrays so I won't have to worry about temperature issues.

Alright so I can either stock a massive 80 gallon shallow pool tank (view from above) or a 30 gallon. Probably going to go with the 30 gallon with a mantis shrimp because it's more low maintenance.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
My new additions

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

Bob Sapp Please posted:

I probably should have elaborated. It does move around, and has two antennae. Although you can't see it in this pic, it has a white oval shaped spot on top of it. That was just a cell phone picture of it since it was handy.

I'll try and get a better image of it.

Looks a bit like an elephant snail but they are only in cold water round here so I don't know if there is a variety that lives in the tropics.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'll preface by saying that I have kept marine fish and a very lovely reef (due mostly to the every summer massive dieoff since the AC stopped working all the time), but overall I consider myself very loving novice in marine tanks. I'd like to look into dwarf or pygmy seahorses, and I do know that keeping baby brine is a constant for them, and seahorses do need to be largely kept in species tanks.

What I don't know is if they can thrive and breed without a protein skimmer (I'd think the current might be a bit strong?) or anything other than a sponge filter?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
I keep dwarf seahorses with no protein skimmer. I'm a daredevil. :smug:

I keep them with pipefish and a pygmy wrasse, as well as some sexy shrimp and other harmless inverts. I have a soda-bottle brine shrimp feeder, and they are fed daily.

So far they are thriving, and breeding.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What size tank do you keep them in? Did you get them from a breeder, order online, etc?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

What size tank do you keep them in? Did you get them from a breeder, order online, etc?

12 gallon tank, and I got them from Ken at sealifeinc.net. He very rarely gets them in, and I ordered every one he had at the time. I have about 15 at the moment.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How often do you water change? I'm used to freshwater overall, where water changes are frequent in my tanks. I know daily feeding of BBS is needed; do you feed copepods as well?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

How often do you water change? I'm used to freshwater overall, where water changes are frequent in my tanks. I know daily feeding of BBS is needed; do you feed copepods as well?

I have a fuge where pods grow, and I do see the horses and pipefish eating pods in the tank. I do a 2 gallon change weekly.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Oh god I got my first aiptasia :gonk:
Now to form a plan of action..

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Vitae posted:

Oh god I got my first aiptasia :gonk:
Now to form a plan of action..

Peppermint shrimp. No further action required (in my experience).

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard
Make sure they're Caribbean peppermints, not pacific. Only the Caribbean ones eat aiptasia

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Well, my LFS (Memfish) had a sale on some coral, 15$ for a bunch of cool pieces. I couldn't help myself.
I bought my first coral, ever.

Hopefully she'll open up soon, then again I just put her in there earlier.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

Anyone know how long it takes for Zoas to open after being introduced into a tank?

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard

Vitae posted:

Anyone know how long it takes for Zoas to open after being introduced into a tank?

Anywhere from minutes to days.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009
edit- redundant since was answered in the other thread, ignore

QuentinCompson fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 25, 2009

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

The Interpolator posted:

Make sure they're Caribbean peppermints, not pacific. Only the Caribbean ones eat aiptasia

I had a peppermint that made snacks of a snail and polyps before he up and died out of the blue

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Morbid Florist posted:

I had a peppermint that made snacks of a snail and polyps before he up and died out of the blue

My drat peppermint is *still* alive after almost 10 months (from what I gather is unheard of for a peppermint). It even survived me nuking my tank of flatworms with Salifert's FlatwormExit.

That was gross, btw, but well worth it.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
I picked up a few new toys for my tank. I finally got my own RO/DI unit. I don't know why I waited so drat long. I also got the vortech MP20. It is a pretty amazing piece of equipment. It allowed me to remove all my other powerheads. And finally I took advantage of the $99 ReefKeeper deal and picked one up.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Hypnotized posted:

I picked up a few new toys for my tank. I finally got my own RO/DI unit. I don't know why I waited so drat long. I also got the vortech MP20. It is a pretty amazing piece of equipment. It allowed me to remove all my other powerheads. And finally I took advantage of the $99 ReefKeeper deal and picked one up.

That is an amazing tank!

Looks a lot more organized and fluid than mine. Mine looks like a random mashup of various corals. I need to come up with a better plan, but I'd kind of rather just get a larger tank (90 gallon acrylic or so plumbed for a closed loop)

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

That ReefKeeper lite is tempting. What modules do you have for it? I'd love to be able to graph its results in cacti heh

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hypnotized posted:

I finally got my own RO/DI unit.

Best thing I ever picked up for myself as far as my tank goes.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

optikalus posted:

That is an amazing tank!

That ReefKeeper lite is tempting. What modules do you have for it? I'd love to be able to graph its results in cacti heh

Thanks, as for the ReefKeeper I just got the Level 1. It comes with a temperature probe and 4 controllable outlets. You can do a ton of stuff with it and control anything that is dependent on time or temperature. It is upgradeable, but I don't think I will because it does everything I need to right now.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
My 120 gallon has been running for a year now. Thought I'd share some pics:

Bunch more here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15192780#post15192729

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard
A few pictures of some of the corals that have moved into my new tank.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hate you guys. :mad:

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

You either need to take pictures under full spectrum lighting or adjust the blue out of your pictures. It looks like you're specifically taking pictures under actinics to blow out the colors.

• Locked thread