Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
So I just got the Dynasty Warriors games for PSP. I heard that pursuing Lu Bu is a good idea ( :v: ), but I was wondering... How story-independent are the individual games? I know they're based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms—and I've read part of the book and I translated part of Sangokushi Koumeiden, so I'm familiar with it to a degree—but are they all based on the entire novel, or is it piecemeal, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
They all retell it from scratch.

PolishSausage
Feb 1, 2009
Last Remnant

- If you are playing the PC version without a gamepad, make sure you go into your options and go past the keyboard tab to the XBox controller tab. The option to have in-game buttons show up as keyboard keys and not XBox buttons is in there, and it will save you a lot of hassle. The game actually controls fine by keyboard/mouse once you swap the prompts.

- Avoid as much fighting as possible until you've received your final union upgrade to 18 people. Ideally wait even longer until you have all the party members you want to use. This is because the game makes a big distinction between easy battles and hard battles, and if you fight a bunch of monsters at/below your level you might gimp your stat progression and find it hard to continue. You probably want to be BR 7-16ish by the time you've finished the first disk, lower is better.

- The Nest of Eagles fight is ridiculously hard, particularly if you are avoiding levelling. In order to beat it you'll basically HAVE to wait until you have an AoE spell option like Blackout, or David's Gae Bolge (he has to be a union leader for it to show up).

- Try to have 42 sidequests done before you get to the last room of the aqueducts, as game events close off some of those 42 quests forever. Have Emma's and Baulson's quests done before Nest of Eagles. If you really want to be picky, look up which ones you can skip and which ones disappear on https://www.gamefaqs.com or some other similiar site.

- http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Remnant_Wiki_-_The_Last_Remnant_Guide is your friend. Most of your questions about where to find particular monsters, how to do a bothersome quest, or where to find upgrade components can be found there.

- There is no shame in consulting a guide for this game. I found several game mechanics and quests are counter-intuitive, and if you are a completionist you'll basically have to consult a guide. Gamefaqs has a few, as does the wiki site.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I read through the thread and got a few, but does anyone else have tips for Metal Gear Solid 4? I've played the other games so I am familiar with the story, although it was ages ago so I'm sure I forget tons of the details.

I just rented the game, so I want to play through it once then return it.

You may need atleast two play throughs before you "get" it.

MGS4 is heavily tied in with MGS, MGS2 and Snake Eater, but it's also very heavy with the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 from the NES.

The game is a blast to play through and if you don't care much for the story then it should be pretty easy sailing if you were good at the other games. However if you're really interested in what's going on you have to pay attention. There is a feature on the PS3 called Metal Gear Solid Database I believe that will answer EVERYTHING, but may also be very confusing. Your best bet is to jump in and take what it gives you. Most things are explained if you give it enough time.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I'm thinking of picking up Gothic II from goozex since its only 100 points there for the gold edition, but I have a few questions first.

First off, at the moment the game is only available as disc only. Is this going to be a problem at all? As in: am I going to miss a lot of info by not having a manual, or is it likely that if I just get the disc I wont have a cd key and I'll end up with a useless cd?

Second, I remember reading to not install the expansion at first because it makes everything harder, but I remember hearing that the basic game is pretty hard to begin with. What are some easy pitfalls/mistakes to make early in the game?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sentient Toaster posted:

Puzzle Quest

-The AI knows what pieces will drop from above the playing field and will make decisions based on this information. Expect it to cheat.
Not actually true (at least, the devs swear it would be too much work to bother), but it does seem to know probability. That is, it knows what is likely to happen based on what is next to the spots that open up. You can play the same tricks, just keep an eye on when there are skulls near the top of the field and then avoid making any matches underneath them. Once there are skulls near the top in all places, use your spells to stall and see if it makes the CPU pull a bonehead move. Also, anything that gets you an extra turn is a good idea. For example, the Great Axe you can buy pretty early on will serve you through most of the game, and maybe all of it depending on how much you enjoy it.

If someone beat me to it, sorry. Also if anyone's got Blue Dragon tips and they weren't posted yet I'd be grateful, though I probably don't need it judging by how easy the first grinding spot is.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Grundma posted:

I'm thinking of picking up Gothic II from goozex since its only 100 points there for the gold edition, but I have a few questions first.

First off, at the moment the game is only available as disc only. Is this going to be a problem at all? As in: am I going to miss a lot of info by not having a manual, or is it likely that if I just get the disc I wont have a cd key and I'll end up with a useless cd?

Second, I remember reading to not install the expansion at first because it makes everything harder, but I remember hearing that the basic game is pretty hard to begin with. What are some easy pitfalls/mistakes to make early in the game?

Well, I hoped you played Gothic 1, because there are a lot of references to it, from characters, to plot, to actually visiting a fair chunk of the area from it.

- Don't get into fights with more than one thing at a time, especially at the beginning, or you'll die. Learn to time your attacks, not just swing wildly.
- There are like three or so different ways to get into the city at the beginning, any of them work fine, but I'd recommend working with the farmer; you get a nice set of starting armor out of it to boot.
- I recommend exploring, but carefully and with saves, and only during the daytime. At night shadowbeasts roam the forests and that's bad.
- Humans won't kill you (most of them, anyway), but just knock you out, take your gold, and possibly your weapon.
- The first time I played, I don't think I had the manual and I don't remember losing much from the experience. There's backstory on factions and history and whatnot, but nothing you can't learn from the game. And the interface is many, many times improved from the first game.
- When it comes to joining a faction, as far as I remember, until you've actually joined them and become one of them, you can do the joining quests for all of the factions, gaining a whole lot of xp and some decent items in the process.

Hmm, that's all I can think of. Been a while since I've played.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Morpheus posted:

tips for Gothic II

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll get the first one instead. My only experience with the series so far was watching my old roomate play the demo of Gothic II a few years back, so I didnt realize that the first and second games had that much in common.

You said that the second game greatly improves the interface over the first. Is this gonna be a situation where I should look for a mod or something to fix it if I'm gonna play the first game? If so what do you reccomend?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Buff Butler posted:

Civ 4:

Don't buy Warlords. The only thing it adds is a collection of scenarios, none of which are particularly interesting. Beyond the Sword has all of the good content from Warlords, plus some other cool new stuff. Even if you like spending money, Warlords adds literally nothing to the meat of the game, which is the randomly generated maps.

As far as what you should know while playing the game? Axemen and cottages.

More Civ 4:

-Place new cities next to food resources or flood plains
-Specialize your cities for production/commerce/gp farm/etc
-Try to obtain or build 8-10 cities by 1 AD, beeline currency and code of laws to maintain them
-Don't declare until you have roughly 3 axemen for every 1 enemy archer.
-Use at least one city as a dedicated unit pump and don't ever stop building units unless you are building something to assist production.
-Don't bother founding a religion or building 90% of wonders, just capture the cities that own them.

This alone should be enough to beat up to and including prince

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
What should I know before I play "Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines"?
I'm still not done with Mass Effect, but it will be nice to have something to play afterward.

To be specific:
I hear I should use an unofficial patch. Why / How?
Can this be applied if I bought it on steam? (If no then I guess I'll buy it somewhere else.)

What should and shouldn't I do in order to avoid gimping my character?

EDIT:
Also I have vista SP1. Will this be a problem, and if so how should I solve it?

Jarl fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 14, 2009

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jarl posted:

What should and shouldn't I do in order to avoid gimping my character?

Make sure you have some measure of combat skill, whether it's guns, melee, or barefisted. The last few levels are pure combat.

Don't play a Malkavian or Nosferatu your first time. Tremere is probably the easiest clan to play.

The sewer level is supposed to suck that much.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

nachos posted:

-Don't bother founding a religion or building 90% of wonders, just capture the cities that own them.

All good points. One thing though:

If you're on prince or higher, and you have a leader/civ that starts with mysticism, go for Polytheism and found Hinduism. The income this will generate in the mid- to late-game will be invaluable. As will the espionage/visibility you receive in every city with that religion (depending on which build you're playing). You'll be a little undefended at first because you'll be slower to research archery, but in the long run it's well worth it. It's not essential, but when playing on noble or higher, if you don't start with mysticism you have almost no chance of founding a religion ever, so you may as well take the opportunity when it presents itself.

Also, nachos is right and only 10% of the wonders are useful (mostly the ones that increase production or great people). But, if you manage to specialize in great engineers (by assigning citizens as engineers, or building wonders that produce them), you can use them to construct a wonder in a single turn, which allows you to focus on your military while not sacrificing the cultural and health/happiness bonuses the wonders afford.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Grundma posted:

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll get the first one instead. My only experience with the series so far was watching my old roomate play the demo of Gothic II a few years back, so I didnt realize that the first and second games had that much in common.

You said that the second game greatly improves the interface over the first. Is this gonna be a situation where I should look for a mod or something to fix it if I'm gonna play the first game? If so what do you reccomend?

Before you pick the first one up, you might want to hit up gogamer.com. They have the Gothic Universe on sale now for about $5, which is 1-3 plus 2's expansion, and for another $5, you can get the expansion for 3. I don't know how much longer the sale is going, but that's the best price I've ever seen for the bundle.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Going for some new games and some old games, any tips for:

Fable II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy Tactics

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Abugadu posted:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Save points are usually pretty close to where boss rooms are. Save often and prepare to run into a boss without saving for a long time once or twice. If this happens, I just suggest you hit up a walkthrough for the boss as to not lose a poo poo ton of progress. It's really annoying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jarl posted:

What should I know before I play "Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines"?

I hear I should use an unofficial patch. Why / How?
Can this be applied if I bought it on steam? (If no then I guess I'll buy it somewhere else.)

You can patch the Steam version. And you definitely should - use the latest patch. They've fixed most of the bugs - including some that would break your game - and added back in a lot of lost dialogue and the like. Last I heard the patch was at 6.0, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've updated again. A quick Google will find it for you.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Almighty Pod posted:

Save points are usually pretty close to where boss rooms are. Save often and prepare to run into a boss without saving for a long time once or twice. If this happens, I just suggest you hit up a walkthrough for the boss as to not lose a poo poo ton of progress. It's really annoying.

The strategy for almost all bosses is "beat the poo poo out of it until it dies."

Symphony of the Night is one of those games with inverted challenge--it starts difficult but gets ludicrously easy once you start amassing levels and equipment. Don't get discouraged if you die a few times at the start.

Check a walkthrough to find a list of Alucard's spells. All of them are available to you from the get-go but require some esoteric button combinations to pull off (and the game never tells you what they are). Make absolutely sure you get good at casting soul steal, which drains life from everything in the area and gives you a good chunk of health back.

The only familiar worth using is the sword.

Attack suspicious-looking walls to find secret passages.

Get the gold and silver rings and wear them where the game tells you to.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Abugadu posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Save after every battle, and if the game specifically asks you to save directly after a battle, make sure to save it in a different slot. This is of particular importance at Riovanes Castle.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Abugadu posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Just gonna throw out a bunch of random tips here:

-Knights suck past the first chapter.
-Ramza's Squire class is special. As you progress through the game he'll get more abilities and better equip options, making Squire his best all-around class by the last chapter.
-Item is a life-saver in the first chapter. Don't forget you have to actually buy the Potion and Phoenix Down abilities to use them.
-Males have better physical attack while females have better magic attack.
-Read the Tutorial for the basics. Understanding how charge times and clock ticks work is a huge help.
-In general you want high brave and faith for your units. Good zodiac compatability between your units is important too but I wouldn't worry too much about that.
-Press Select on everything.
-Offense >>> Defense. PA and MA (phy. and mag. attack) are far more important than HP and MP. For this reason, never use Best Fit in stores.
-There is no benefit to mastering a class. If you ever feel you have all the worthwhile abilities for a class move on to another one.
-Equips and abilities >>>>> levels. Buy Gained JP UP ASAP and literally never take it off unless you have to to win a battle.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Abugadu posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics

***Keep at least two save slots, for the love of God. I always make three for any new game.

*Characters of different classes can gain about a fourth of the JP of any other character with a different class gains. A Ninja attacks once per turn and gains 8 JP, so everyone else who isn't a Ninja gains 2 JP.
*Use "Gain JP up" on everyone for most of the game.
*You can use up to five characters per battle most of the time and Guests could alter the amount. This eluded some dumb people.
*Use Thieves to steal equipment, as you will always run short of money.
*A Knight's skill can break equipment or stats. Breaking 2 speed will cripple any opponent.
*Randomly created Crystals from dead humans (even your guys) could give you their learned abilities if your character doesn't know them. Kill your old guys off if you want to buff up late characters.
*Spam Accumulate/buffs to build 10 experience.
*The more advanced classes gain more stats per level and the Mime has the best growth.
*Too much Faith will make your characters defect and the screen effect is troublesome.

***Press the right direction over your attacks. It should show character turns and display if your spell will hit in time. The higher speed of weak spells is much faster and reliable.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 20, 2009

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Almighty Pod posted:

The boss rooms are really obvious when you enter them and you can turn around and leave immediately if you don't walk too far into the room.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Grundma posted:

I don't know of any mods that fix the interface, which is a shame because I can definitely see it turning away people. The interface is usable, just a pain in the rear end to start using. Eventually it's possible to get completely use to it, but at the beginning you'll be wondering wtf.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Abugadu posted:

Fable II

There are two Point of No Return moments in the game, once around half way through and once for the end of the game. The half way point is rather obvious, while for the end just be careful doing the quest for the third hero.

The best way to make money is to just start buying property. Basically, you want to just buy any and every piece of property you can.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The best way to make money is to just start buying property. Basically, you want to just buy any and every piece of property you can.

An alternate method if to wait for sales on weapons in the first big town, buy everything, and go to Fairfax Gardens and sell them to the merchants there. Easy for a quick buck if you got the cash to get the process started.

Property is really the best way though. If you really want to grind money, buy properties, save+quit, advance the clock ahead a day or two, reload and buy more properties with the money you just made. The money you make from property is based on real time, not game time (unlike say, family upkeep).

Once you reach the town with the arena, find the guy who wants to invest in the town immediately. If you don't give the guy some money to invest you'll miss out on a lot of properties to buy and you get more money back from it after the next story segment or two.

Also potions are the best way to get experience. As the game progresses the alchemy shop in the first big town gets better potions. Buy 'em, sleep a few days away/travel to other alchemy shops, buy more potions, repeat.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Abugadu posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics

I'm sure FFT has come up at least 2 or 3 other times in this thread, but here are some more.
  • Don't be afraid to play around with different skill sets, there are many interesting and effective combinations.

For example the range of a Knight's Battle Skill is dependent on your weapon. So a gun user with Battle Skill is a long range crippler. Even more effective if it's Mustadio.

Or the effectiveness of Samurai's Draw Out is based on magical attack. So it makes an amazing secondary skill for a wizard or summoner.

• Despite Males being better with physical classes and females being better with magical classes, Bard is a male only magic class opened from magic jobs, and Dancer is a female only physical class, opened by physical jobs.

• Speaking of Dancers, they're most effective earlier in the game.If only because of the speed difference between dances and your enemies. A pack of dancers can cripple an enemy team, giving you free reign to loot all their stuff.

• Don't bother with Archers except to access better classes.

• For line of sight weapons like crossbows, guns, harps and dictionaries, you can hit a target that's too close to you by targeting a panel in the same line behind them.

• Summons will only target enemies or allies, never both. So you can target an ally who will move before the summon goes off and march them up into a group of enemies for some nice damage.

• Try and get Counter on all your melee units. If you do go for Hamedo be sure to switch it out when fighting monsters, as it won't work.

• Speaking of counter attacks, the chance of a counter attack activating is a unit's brave. Brave can be increased to 97 without any downside.

• Cure spells damage undead. I want to say Raise/phoenix down will kill them but I can't remember for sure.

• Never use flails or axes, their damage is too random.

• Try and invite a uribo any time you see one. You can raise and poach them and their offspring (Porky/Wildbow) for some useful and otherwise unavailable items.

• Calculators will break the game in your favour if you figure out how they work.

• Never jump on a target with more than 50 CT

• Be careful with Mimes. As they will mimic every attack and ability your generics have access to using their current facing.

• Buy a holy robe as soon as they're available, it will give you an edge in a particular solo battle. (There are only two, and one happens before you can buy them.)

• The effect of Elemental depends on which tile your geomancer is standing on if you don't have the associated ability, it doesn't work. However Counter Flood works regardless of whether you have the ability or not, also hits the surrounding tiles.

• Move find-item is best on people with low brave. Don't bother with it unless you're at Nelveska Temple or the Deep Dungeon.

• Rubber shoes trivialize the part of the Lionel Castle battle that doesn't involve Ramza.

• Some spells/summons can be learned by being hit and surviving it. Your unit must be in the class that learns the spell. All the big damage summons can be learned this way (Bahamut and lower on the list) As well a the top tier spell of each element/effect Fire/Ice/Bolt/Cure 4.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
During my present DOS games jag, I elected to play through the Quest for Glory series. Having enjoyed but never completed the first two games as a kid, I'd like to try them with my superpowered adult man-mind.

I know these early adventure games are notorious for loving you over with minute details, and I don't have the patience for games I used to have.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Draile posted:

The only familiar worth using is the sword.

This is wrong. Experiment with all of them and find out which you like (they also have some unexpected benefits from time to time).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Draile posted:

Check a walkthrough to find a list of Alucard's spells. All of them are available to you from the get-go but require some esoteric button combinations to pull off (and the game never tells you what they are). Make absolutely sure you get good at casting soul steal, which drains life from everything in the area and gives you a good chunk of health back.

Actually, you can buy the codes for their use from the librarian, if you don't feel like looking online.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just started playing Tales of Phantasia and am very confused with the battle system. I thought I was doing ok, but I'm getting torn apart in the first real dungeon when you have to fight two golems at the same time. Anyone have any advice?

cAtf00d
Sep 3, 2006

My brother-in-law loaned me Champions of Norrath and it's not bad so far, but I'm sucking at it. I could use tips.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

PantsBandit posted:

I just started playing Tales of Phantasia and am very confused with the battle system. I thought I was doing ok, but I'm getting torn apart in the first real dungeon when you have to fight two golems at the same time. Anyone have any advice?
If you're having trouble then try walking up to the enemies and blocking a lot. If you do the thing where you run up to the enemy and hit him and run all the way back you sometimes risk getting stunlocked while turning around. Also, I don't think this is spelled out, but you can do variations on the basic attack by pressing up or down at the same time as attack, and also pressing the attack button twice does a jumping attack which can knock the enemy away.

Also, try to avoid using your TP in dungeons until you get a TP accessory. To level up your moves you'll usually grind them on the overworld next to an inn.

Salt Block Party fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 21, 2009

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
I think you can use L and R to move your "home point," where you run back to after attacking. If you sidle right up to a guy, you won't have to run anywhere, so you can stunlock him back into a corner and cheese from there.

ydaetskcoR
Apr 29, 2008
I recently grabbed Mass Effect from ebay for pretty cheap. Any tips for that?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

ydaetskcoR posted:

You can't go back to the main map after finishing the game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Abugadu posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics
For an amusing time, try playing FFT using the auto-battle. You want to set your guys on "Save fading life" if you're playing PS1 or "Healer" if you're playing PSP. Generally this will give your guys AI with the same rough priorities as the computer players. The only other useful auto battle option is the first one ("fight for life" or "berserker"), which will let you mark a specific unit to kill, but keep in mind this will in most cases cause your units to not give a poo poo about dead/dying friendlies. Still it can be an easy way to get through "kill Whatsisname" type missions.

The AI also knows how to abuse Calculators, so if for some reason you feel you're not cheating enough, just look up what jobs you need to train one and enjoy watching the computer blow up the entire field in two seconds. Then restart and play it properly. Calculators have awful speed, though, so you may want to Haste and Yell at them while you grind their JP, and you'll probably feel like you earned it when you finally start obliterating things.

On a related note, for fans of poaching, the AI is also very good at calculating the Mediator/Orator passive "Train" which converts anyone who gets hit down to critical by that unit. Also it never misses a lancer/dragoon Jump due to the enemy moving, though it will often stupidly kill its target with another of your units first.

The AI's also pretty good at judging Charge (the Archer skill) and you can use it on just about anything except a gun. Play around with it on some melee attackers, though you may want a secondary with more utility to it. It also knows how to float arrows over long ranges from up hill or arc them over obstacles, though bows generally do poo poo damage and the AI will still generally prefer even piddling damage to a crippling Knight skill.

Stealing does not work based on physical OR magical attack, but rather speed, which is best raised by leveling up as a Thief, or if you can swing it, a Ninja. Most other skill sets are based on physical or magical attack, and some are also affected by some combination of the attacker and/or defenders' Faith and Bravery. Just use the brave for physical and the faithful for magical if you don't want to get hung up over the details.

Geomancers are horrible. Unless you're cheating, get Attack UP from them and then pretend they don't exist. Even though they use both magical and physical attack, their Elemental powers often hit for about as much as Counter Tackle.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 21, 2009

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ydaetskcoR posted:

Don't go to Noveria first.

Aside from that, get used to hitting RB all the time during combat to pause, recenter your aim, and queue up your Force powers. You CAN play it like a real-time Gears of War clone, but you'll get your rear end kicked that way, especially at the beginning.

biak
Mar 7, 2006
Raped Idiot
Requesting: Even more CIV4 tips/strats (love the game, but i always build jack-of-all-trade cities like a newbdick)

Medieval II:

- Engage their lines with yours and then flank with Heavy Cav. Battle won.
- Send your horse archers/light cav to deal with enemy catapults/archers. Eliminating your opponents ranged forces balances the playing field if you're outnumbered.
- For money: roads then docks then farms then merchants
- Ignore merchants, waste of time micromanaging them and they always get raped by enemy bean counters. Useless until your empire is big enough to have them be in any territory you want, at which point you probably don't need the money anyway.
- The best mod for M2TW is Stainless Steel (6.1 i believe). Adds a ridiculous amount of content to the game, find their forums and read up on it.
- Upon capturing a new territory, make sure to demolish any remaining buildings that do not belong to your religion.

TF2:

- If you're pushing the cart, hold mouse1. you automatically replenish health/ammo for being next to it so you might as well spin and fire to catch spies.
- If you're playing as a heavy and need to get some where quick, move towards your destination and as soon as you're relatively close jump and start spinning your gun whilst airborne without a movement penalty. especially useful for surprising enemies gathered on a staircase.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

CrashCat posted:

Geomancers are horrible. Unless you're cheating, get Attack UP from them and then pretend they don't exist. Even though they use both magical and physical attack, their Elemental powers often hit for about as much as Counter Tackle.

That's the price you pay for having one of the longest-ranged(Base range of 5, hits a cross-shape, so it's effectively range 6. Given the size of most maps, that's excellent coverage), instant, undodgable attacks, with a flat 25% status chance. They also have good values in both PA and MA, and good equip options, so they're a good class if you seek a hybrid. Also bear in mind Counter Flood-infinite-range counter with an Elemental attack(Regardless of whether you know the one for the ground you're on) when struck.

The formula for Elemental is annoying: PA+2, half the result, times MA. It's not impossible to min-max, but it's tricky since you want a strong base value and a strong multiplier. Please remember that they are treated as magical, and thus affected by Magic Attack UP.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

What should i know before i play Shin Megami Tensei:Nocturne ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ydaetskcoR posted:

Its best to chose a "mixed" class since it will allow you to keep the main character well rounded. Don't worry too much about not being able to use certain weapons as the pistol is really, really effective. Certain Achievements unlock bonuses for your next play through so make sure to keep an eye on those if you want to maximize unlocking.

You really want to try to get the Rich Achievement as it will let you purchase SPECTRE gear which are the best weapons in the game.