Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
:siren:New Strip:siren:

What will happen next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Well, there's a gamechanger. If he smashes the phylactery, does that take out Xykon, or does it just render Xykon unable to regenerate once destroyed?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Will Xykon start calling him "Left-Eye" now? And does O-Chul actually know that he's got Xykon's phylactery in his hands, or is he just claiming a trophy before he goes after Xykon?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Responding to Pope Guilty: The latter. But it all depends on O'Chul knowing that the holy symbol is Xykon's phylactery and being able to smash it before Xykon goes after him instead of sacrificing himself and the chance to destroy the phylactery in order to protect V.

It seems as though he knows that this is the phylactery, but it could go either way.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LightWarden posted:

Responding to Pope Guilty: The latter. But it all depends on O'Chul knowing that the holy symbol is Xykon's phylactery and being able to smash it before Xykon goes after him instead of sacrificing himself and the chance to destroy the phylactery in order to protect V.

It seems as though he knows that this is the phylactery, but it could go either way.

Well, he said "No more lich, then", which indicates that he knows exactly what he's holding. Being as he's a paladin, the only reason I could imagine his next action being smashing it with the iron bar would be that he hopes to use it to rescue V or otherwise get something out of Xykon, but honestly it seems to me that no paladin would risk allowing something like Xykon to keep existing just in the hopes of aiding someone who's currently in "pact with Hell" mode.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Scry-and-Die is a cool word.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What does it take to actually destroy a Phylactery?

And if it doesn't kill Xykon immediately, as LightWarden said, but just renders him unable to regenerate, can Xykon make a new one?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I like how Disintegrate does not even slow O-Chul down. Hinjo was hit by it mid-air and thrown back a dozen feet, O-Chul just keeps walking. :cool:

But I think he is basically dead now. The next action anyone in that tower takes just has to be Xykon zapping O-Chul and saving his phylactery.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Normally, liches can't make more phylacteries, but I do recall there be some crazy epic level lich in the Forgotten Realms whose gimmick was that he had something like a dozen of them and could keep making more if they were destroyed.

Actually breaking them isn't easy, since they have 40 HP and a hardness of 20, which means they shrug off the first 20 damage you do them on each attack. You have to either be packing adamantium weaponry or really bring on the pain.

I think that he might know that this is Xykon's phylactery, but his "no more lich then" could just mean that having lost his goblin target, he's now going after Xykon without actually breaking the phylactery.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

O-chul was in in the throne room when Soon explained that the Xykons phylactary was around Readcloaks neck. I imagine that just being immobilized he could still hear everything.

And yeah, conventional hero myth states that O-chul has to die now. He WILL break that drat thing, but then he will die. Xykon will get to him just a second too late.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

LightWarden posted:

Normally, liches can't make more phylacteries, but I do recall there be some crazy epic level lich in the Forgotten Realms whose gimmick was that he had something like a dozen of them and could keep making more if they were destroyed.

Actually breaking them isn't easy, since they have 40 HP and a hardness of 20, which means they shrug off the first 20 damage you do them on each attack. You have to either be packing adamantium weaponry or really bring on the pain.

I think that he might know that this is Xykon's phylactery, but his "no more lich then" could just mean that having lost his goblin target, he's now going after Xykon without actually breaking the phylactery.

There's really no way for O-Chul to destroy the phylactery and since he's such a smart paladin I'm betting he knows that, maybe he'll try to escape with it instead of just standing there whacking at it until Xykon kills him.

Also since Xykon seems to be pulling nasty surprises out of his wazoo right now, that epic level lich thing that makes several phylacteries would fit like a glove.

I just want for O-chul to live :unsmith:

Volga Boatman fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 20, 2009

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

LightWarden posted:

Perhaps he can toss it into the rift to the Snarl. :shobon:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

LightWarden posted:

Any high-level melee character will have Power Attack, which means he can easily do 30-40 damage with an improvised two-handed weapon (like that bar.)

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Any high-level melee character will have Power Attack, which means he can easily do 30-40 damage with an improvised two-handed weapon (like that bar.)
Maybe I'm not thinking right but how are you getting that high damage out of it? He's probably around lvl 10 after all.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Volga Boatman posted:

Maybe I'm not thinking right but how are you getting that high damage out of it? He's probably around lvl 10 after all.

I would have thought level 15, but even if he's level 10, full Power Attacking with a two-handed weapon is +20 damage. He'll have maybe a 16 Strength without magic items, so that's another +4 damage with a two-hander. 1d6+24 is not 30-40, but it's enough to break the phylactery in about 6 rounds (less than a minute.)

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

Ashenai posted:

I would have thought level 15, but even if he's level 10, full Power Attacking with a two-handed weapon is +20 damage. He'll have maybe a 16 Strength without magic items, so that's another +4 damage with a two-hander. 1d6+24 is not 30-40, but it's enough to break the phylactery in about 6 rounds (less than a minute.)
Sounds good, doubt it'll come to that though, it would be pretty anti-climactic.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
...he hands the phylactery to the Thing in the Darkness; almost certainly it's capable of breaking it...

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Sergeant Rock posted:

...he hands the phylactery to the Thing in the Darkness; almost certainly it's capable of breaking it...

Giving us a strip of the Monster in the Darkness debating whether he's a "good man" or not.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
O-Chul is the best.

Vanadium posted:

Perhaps he can toss it into the rift to the Snarl. :shobon:

I can't decide if this would be a good idea or the worst idea ever.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
He said "No more spells" because clerics need their holy symbols to cast most spells, right?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

maltesh posted:

Will Xykon start calling him "Left-Eye" now?

Recloak does know the spell Regenerate. The only reason he never cast it on Right-Eye is because of his brother's complex, years-long double blind escape plan. Give him an extended rest period and he'll be back in binocular action.

CK07 posted:

He said "No more spells" because clerics need their holy symbols to cast most spells, right?

Well, some of them. A few of the more powerful, certainly. But you'll notice Redcloak cast Word of Recall just fine (and let's all be grateful it wasn't bound to recall him to the throne room)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

What about Regenerate? Does he need his symbol for that?

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well, some of them. A few of the more powerful, certainly. But you'll notice Redcloak cast Word of Recall just fine (and let's all be grateful it wasn't bound to recall him to the throne room)

Yeah, but "Word of Recall" (being . . . well, a word) is a verbal component only. Something like Regenerate does require the divine focus.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
My prediction?

Redcloak recalls, warns Xykon. The two of them burst into the room just to see the Monster destroy Xykon's phylactery. Hell breaks loose.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Brannock posted:

Redcloak recalls, warns Xykon. The two of them burst into the room just to see the Monster destroy Xykon's phylactery. Hell breaks loose.

I really don't think O-Chul would set up the monster for a fall like that. Does he really strike you as someone who would endanger an innocent?

I think he'll break it just fine on his own. Remember, Hinjo said he was the strongest member of the Sapphire Guard, which is why he was leading the defense of the Throne Room--and not only did he just drop a fairly high level cleric with an improvised weapon, back in the day he hit and damaged Xykon enough to disrupt his casting. He's definitely a candidate for the title of, "Strongest Paladin in the World," even if he isn't an adventurer.

Also, it's only the standard phylactery that has hardness 20/40 hitpoints, an iron box. Redcloak crafted this one with an eye on breaking it in trouble situations--so it should be easier to shatter than the standard issue.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Mystic Mongol posted:

I really don't think O-Chul would set up the monster for a fall like that. Does he really strike you as someone who would endanger an innocent?

I think he'll break it just fine on his own. Remember, Hinjo said he was the strongest member of the Sapphire Guard, which is why he was leading the defense of the Throne Room--and not only did he just drop a fairly high level cleric with an improvised weapon, back in the day he hit and damaged Xykon enough to disrupt his casting. He's definitely a candidate for the title of, "Strongest Paladin in the World," even if he isn't an adventurer.

Also, it's only the standard phylactery that has hardness 20/40 hitpoints, an iron box. Redcloak crafted this one with an eye on breaking it in trouble situations--so it should be easier to shatter than the standard issue.

It's all a matter of if Xykon notices what's going on. Without Redclock, he can be a bit oblivious as to what's going on around him.

And I definately don't think the Monster will have any affect on this particular battle. He'll get shaken up, and then ponder what's going on and then turn later on. Unless Xykon makes a jab at him or something.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

One thing to keep in mind about the Monster is that (spoiler from Start of Darkness) Xykon can and has cast a hypnotic suggestion on him. He's currently got one active to eat Redcloak and spit out the phylactary if Redcloak ever betrays Xykon. Doubtful that paticular one will come into play right now, but it's a possible way to manipulate the Monster's actions, even if he decides to act against Xykon.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
can't the paladin dude just Smite Evil on the phylactery or does that only work on living creatures? I can't think of many inanimate objects that are more evil than a lich's phylactery.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

tylertfb posted:

can't the paladin dude just Smite Evil on the phylactery or does that only work on living creatures? I can't think of many inanimate objects that are more evil than a lich's phylactery.

Well, the text of the ability says it doesn't work if used on a non-evil creature, but doesn't say what happens if used on a not creature. In the game I'm playing in I was able to use it to sunder a Balor's sword, though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Shyrka posted:

Well, the text of the ability says it doesn't work if used on a non-evil creature, but doesn't say what happens if used on a not creature. In the game I'm playing in I was able to use it to sunder a Balor's sword, though.

Well, the life force is in the phylactery so I'd go with it works on such a thing. He is a decently leveled paladin though, so he'll probably think of something even if just smashing it doesn't work.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
O-Chul is the loving man.

I mean, he's going to die, and he's like "Is that meant to mean something to me? 'Scuse me while I skewer this goblin high-priest with the bar of the cage I just broke out from."

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Nilbop posted:

O-Chul is the loving man.

I mean, he's going to die, and he's like "Is that meant to mean something to me? 'Scuse me while I skewer this goblin high-priest with the bar of the cage I just broke out from."

A cage I could have broken out of months ago, but decided to endure torture to teach a monster the difference between right and wrong instead.
Seriously, O-Chul is the best Paladin I've ever seen, he's one of those character's who is just so good, like Captain America.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Cuchulain posted:

like Captain America.

Oh god. He IS going to die!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Am I the only person who thinks this could be the end of Xykon?

Why not?

O'chul destroys the phylactory, poof goes the lich.

Not the end of the strip, but why could this not be the end of the lich?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Diogines posted:

Am I the only person who thinks this could be the end of Xykon?

Why not?

O'chul destroys the phylactory, poof goes the lich.

Not the end of the strip, but why could this not be the end of the lich?

Because Xykon's soul isn't in the phylactery, it's in the lich. Breaking it stops him from respawning, it doesn't get rid of a level 26+ sorcerer slumming about the place.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, we finally get to see a proper Paladin, as they should be, and he's probably about a minute away from getting messily murdered. I can only hope that Burlew decides to spit in the face of the every story cliche invented and let him live.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, we finally get to see a proper Paladin, as they should be, and he's probably about a minute away from getting messily murdered. I can only hope that Burlew decides to spit in the face of the every story cliche invented and let him live.

We've seen three paladins apart from Elans Origins dude. Miko's Lawful Stupid paladin, Hinjo's Lawful Relaxed paladin and O-Chuls Lawful Awesome paladin.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
From Start of Darkness:

"Thing is, my soul isn't in there right now. Smashing it won't do anything to me. [...] That phylactery is just a pricey bauble unless you destroy me first."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Seftir posted:

Oh god. He IS going to die!

No, he didn't give up and let Xykon capture him because part of one tower in Azure City fell off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Halloween Jack posted:

No, he didn't give up and let Xykon capture him because part of one tower in Azure City fell off.

This fireman told me to surrender!