Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Anybody have genius suggestions for "first dance" songs, or good links to lists of suggestions? Need to settle on one before we start our dance lessons tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
What type of music do you like? Are you having a more traditional wedding or something more contemporary?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Contemporary, at a modern hotel in town. It's a mixed culture wedding, with a lot of (Indian/Scottish)-Canadian attendees. She's not especially into music, so we never really had "A Song" but looks like we better figure one out soon. :)

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Off the top of my head, here are some more modern/indie songs that are really nice:

Ben Folds - The Luckiest
Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Follow You in the Dark
Queen - You Are My Best Friend
Ben Harper - Forever

Oldies but a goodies:
Etta James - At Last
Beatles - When I'm 64
Rolling Stones/The Sundays - Wild Horses

Comedy option but still very cute:
Kermit the Frog - Rainbow Connection (I think Sarah McLachlan does a version too.)

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

My fiancee actually had three of those in an e-mail she sent over today, so you have a pretty good eye for this. (Ben Folds, Death Cab, Etta James.)

I think we're leaning towards Barry White's "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love".

Generic Superhero
Nov 9, 2000

You've gotta find first gear in your giant robot car.

Gravitee posted:

Comedy option but still very cute:
Kermit the Frog - Rainbow Connection (I think Sarah McLachlan does a version too.)

She does and it was my wife's and my first dance at our wedding in Oct. It's very nice, and is a perfect one-two-three for a waltz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4GBnpS83As

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Chemmy posted:

They have a diamond selector where you can pick what stone you want and it's all conflict free so you can still give deBeers the middle finger.

DeBeers diamonds are sold through the legitimate channels and are legally classified as Conflict Free. Brilliant Earth's marketing campaign puts up a "we are different" facade, but I do not believe that they promise a DeBeers free diamond or sell any different products than your local retail jeweler.

Turkeybone, is there a reason why you are paying $550 for a titanium ring? For that price (or very close) you could have the same ring made in white or yellow gold.

For a light blue or green diamond you will probably need to look for a natural diamond that has been irradiated to add color. They are available in every color of the rainbow, and are exponentially cheaper than purchasing a natural fancy colored diamond.

I would stay away from man-made diamonds. As of yet there is no cost savings except for off-color and off-make gems, and sourcing them can be difficult since they are sold outside the normal channels.

We sell all of these things. If you would like a quote, or any jewelry questions answered, feel free to shoot me a PM here or a message via the http://brookheart.com contact form.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
She liked that ring specifically so that's the one we're set on. We also like the style and such. She really has no interest in gold, or diamonds for that matter (we specifically we into the off-color man-made aspect of it)-- we talked and looked around more, and it seems more and more that she isnt interested in a diamond at all (especially not the off-colors now that we looked haha), so we've just included all gems into the spectrum. I think blood red garnets are her fancy of the day ;)

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Sorry to descend into e/n a bit here, but I'm kind of freaking out because my fiance just discovered that my mother isn't terribly fond of her and she's now in a ridiculous illogical panic saying things like:
"I don't want to make you choose between us."
"What if she's right and you realize this ten years down the line."
"Obviously you must be unhappy being with me if your mom can see that I'm no good for you."

Family is very important to both of us, but it's really not as bad as she's making it out to be in her mind. My mom simply doesn't trust her yet because of some things that happened a year ago, but I'm sure that given more face time with her she'll come to really like her. I'm having a lot of trouble talking sense into her in this state, and it's torturing both of us. She really means the world to me, and if it came down to it, I WOULD choose her over my mom in a heartbeat. There isn't a need to do this, though, and she's blown it out of proportion in her mind.

Can anyone offer consolation or advice? I'm just feeling a little worried that she doesn't seem to listen to me right now on such an important issue. We've always been able to work through disagreements and problems before, and we've had some tough ones. Is this just wedding stress? It's less than a month away!

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
More honeymoon help needed!

Our original plan was Europe (italy/france specifically), but that recently fell through due to immigration issues (I'm canadian in the US), so our honeymoon needs to be in the US (and no territories either :(). She doesn't want to do Hawaii as she's been there a LOT and we'd rather go someplace new together. I just really have no idea what's a good place in the US to honeymoon mid-july.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

pwnyXpress posted:

She really means the world to me, and if it came down to it, I WOULD choose her over my mom in a heartbeat. There isn't a need to do this, though, and she's blown it out of proportion in her mind.

You should say this to her, as it's the only thing that's going to help. She needs to know that she is your new #1 priority & that you will stand up to your mom/family if they're being mean/rude to her. Trust me, having a loved one's mother hate you is terrible. It makes family gatherings really difficult & awkward. If you don't stick up for her when your mom makes snide comments, she'll feel like you don't really care about her.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Splat posted:

Our original plan was Europe (italy/france specifically), but that recently fell through due to immigration issues (I'm canadian in the US), so our honeymoon needs to be in the US (and no territories either :(). She doesn't want to do Hawaii as she's been there a LOT and we'd rather go someplace new together. I just really have no idea what's a good place in the US to honeymoon mid-july.

One of the National Parks maybe, like Yellowstone or Glacier? Do you need passports for cruises?

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

CalamityKate posted:

One of the National Parks maybe, like Yellowstone or Glacier? Do you need passports for cruises?

I'm actually checking that today just to have our options open, but my guess would be yes.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

pwnyXpress posted:

Sorry to descend into e/n a bit here, but I'm kind of freaking out because my fiance just discovered that my mother isn't terribly fond of her and she's now in a ridiculous illogical panic saying things like:
"I don't want to make you choose between us."
"What if she's right and you realize this ten years down the line."
"Obviously you must be unhappy being with me if your mom can see that I'm no good for you."

Oh, mothers. My mom hates my husband. But my mom hates everyone.

To be honest, I also think that your fiance is being a little overly dramatic. It seems that everyone would be well-served by taking a chill pill. There's no reason that anyone should be up in arms over this-- it's a situation that will be playing out over years, and will most likely get better over time.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

zap actionsdower! posted:

Oh, mothers. My mom hates my husband. But my mom hates everyone.

To be honest, I also think that your fiance is being a little overly dramatic. It seems that everyone would be well-served by taking a chill pill. There's no reason that anyone should be up in arms over this-- it's a situation that will be playing out over years, and will most likely get better over time.

Or in the case of my mother who still hates my grandmother to this day..

My fiance had a bit of an issue with my mother when we first got engaged.. She sat my mother down, had a nice long talk, and the 2 have been just fine ever since,

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn
I dunno if this has been posted anywhere in the thread, but I found a website where you can design your own dress from a set number of bodice shapes, skirts, and embellishments. You can even pick the fabrics and whatnot. It's also not super expensive, I designed a knee length, a line, strapless dress in organic cotton sateen with a silk shantung sash and they priced it at $400.

Here's the website for desigining: http://olivialuca.com/home/
And here's her blog (it has great information on avoiding environmentally unfriendly chemicals when cleaning dry clean only stuff and a huge entry on preserving fabrics): http://olivialuca.blogspot.com/

I know I'm totally pimping out some random website, but finding affordable dresses you can design yourself is crazy awesome.

and

Splat posted:

Our original plan was Europe (italy/france specifically), but that recently fell through due to immigration issues (I'm canadian in the US), so our honeymoon needs to be in the US (and no territories either ). She doesn't want to do Hawaii as she's been there a LOT and we'd rather go someplace new together. I just really have no idea what's a good place in the US to honeymoon mid-july.

I second the idea to go to a national park. Or maybe you guys could do one of the scenic Amtrak routes or go on a road trip across the southwest/along the west coast/east coast, something like that. I think it'd be really nice to find little family owned bed and breakfasts and plan two weeks or so of traveling around to go see some cool little towns and take a lot of pictures and then make a photo album.

I'm sure you can come up with something and that sucks about your original plans falling through. Hopefully whatever issues came up get resolved pretty soon.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Splat posted:

I'll recommend where I went - Osoyoos B.C.
Wineries galore, and some beautiful resorts. Outdoor areas to go on quiet hikes.

Specifically, we stayed at the Spirit Ridge Vineyard which was extremely nice.

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 21, 2009

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
^^^ Was just in Summerland last week, it's truly beautiful. Due to Splat's immigration, he has to stay in the states so I'm guessing a trip to B.C. isn't possible.

Anyway, I feel like I can properly post in this thread rather than lurk! Back in April my fiance and I went to see The Cure in Vegas, and he proposed when they began to play Love Song :3:

He gave me a giant retro Batman plastic ring, which was awesome cause I love Batman. Back in Pullman we checked out rings at the local jeweler and ended up with this!

The center stone is a garnet; a stone I fell in love with after we went digging for them in Idaho last summer :)

Zantie fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 21, 2009

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn
omigosh Zantie that is gorgeous! I love the retro feel to it and the garnet is beautiful! Also the proposal sounds like it was adorable. :3:

Congrats!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

What should I know about buying a platinum engamgent ring? Gold is out because she is too fair skinned (doesn't own any gold jewellery) and white gold needs to be constantly replated with rhodium.

EDIT: Other than the increased price... haha oh wow.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 23, 2009

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

What should I know about buying a platinum engamgent ring? Gold is out because she is too fair skinned (doesn't own any gold jewellery) and white gold needs to be constantly replated with rhodium.

Where do you get that constant retreating thing from? I've had white gold for ages that has never yellowed a bit.

Menolly
Feb 26, 2006

Burnin' the Heretics
So I'm probably getting married late next month or sometime in July (waiting on my band to be made and shipped). He and I don't want an actual wedding, so we'll be doing the whole courthouse thing here in Texas. His family is in Maryland, and he isn't very close to them. Mine is in California. Trying to put together a traditional ceremony and getting people out here would be a nightmare, even if we wanted to.

I already let my parents know that I'm essentially eloping, and they're taking it surprisingly well. I do know that they're disappointed, though, and I'd like to do something for them and the rest of my family. It's very hard for me to make the trip out there- so any California post-elopement reception may be far off. Anybody have any ideas?

The local post-elopement party with our friends and co-workers may just be a night out at a pub or something.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

Hey, I really appreciate the groomsmen gift ideas so far, hopefully you guys can keep them coming. Have investigated everything you guys have suggested here (and the custom bobblehead dolls someone suggested elsewhere), will probably make a final decision in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, I'm one of those people who tries to take in all the ideas before I decide. :/

Your local mall should have a Things Remembered store that has some nice items for men.

We picked up some personalized mugs:

Splat posted:

If you can stand the heat, there's always Disney World :)

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

FidgetyRat posted:

Where do you get that constant retreating thing from? I've had white gold for ages that has never yellowed a bit.
This. My silver necklace (often tarnished) was replaced with white gold. I haven't polished it in at least two years and, while duller, it doesn't look at all like the silver did after a couple of months. White gold is awesome.

Zaftig fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 23, 2009

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

From wikipedia

quote:

Almost all white gold jewelry is rhodium plated since gold alloyed with palladium or nickel never comes out true white, but tinted brown, therefore requiring a thin layer of rhodium to mask the tinted shade and make it true white."

Random google hit

quote:

Most white gold jewellery has a thin coating of Rhodium to enhance its 'whiteness' and reflective properties. Rhodium is a member of the platinum family of metals and serves as a good protective coating to the jewellery, as well as enhancing the colour. Rhodium is harder than gold and will wear much better as a consequence. However, this rhodium coating will wear through with time, which will expose the alloy underneath. As the white gold alloy will be a darker, less white colour, this wear will be noticeable. It is a simple matter to reapply the rhodium coating; most jewellers make a small charge for this.

Its only something you really need to do every couple of years. I guess a necklace wouldn't wear as much as a ring.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn
And so the fights over the guest list begin. :sigh:

Is it really so wrong of me to not want to invite my mom's college friends that I don't really know at all when the only friends of mine that I'm inviting are the ones in my wedding party? I just want a small wedding with just family and <50 people and I swear to god if I have to deal with guilt trips about not inviting people I hardly know, I will kill someone.

Doesn't help that I just moved 15 goddamn hours from the state I've lived in all my life, I'm quitting smoking, and I'm PMSing all at once. Hooray life!

I just want a simple small wedding with mismatched china and wildflowers. :smith:

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

King Skinny Pimp posted:

And so the fights over the guest list begin. :sigh:

Is it really so wrong of me to not want to invite my mom's college friends that I don't really know at all when the only friends of mine that I'm inviting are the ones in my wedding party? I just want a small wedding with just family and <50 people and I swear to god if I have to deal with guilt trips about not inviting people I hardly know, I will kill someone.

Doesn't help that I just moved 15 goddamn hours from the state I've lived in all my life, I'm quitting smoking, and I'm PMSing all at once. Hooray life!

I just want a simple small wedding with mismatched china and wildflowers. :smith:

No, it's not wrong, as long as you're the one paying for the wedding. Traditionally, if your parents are paying for the wedding, they get to invite whoever they want. Now, most parents are willing to work this out & keep the list to a manageable number, but if your mom won't, you may have to consider declining her funding to get the wedding you want. That's because they become the actual hosts of the party since they're footing the bill.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

My mother threw together a guest list of at least 60 people Ive never met.. extended cousins, distant relatives, people my father works with.. I put my foot down about not wanting them there since we're paying for the wedding ourselves, so my parents caved and said they would cover anyone they invited.. Solved that problem.. I dont mind strangers being there so long as I dont have to pay their bills!

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
I have a ring question. Trying to pick out my engagement ring now, and I really like this one ring I found at a local jewelers (mom and pop) but I'm scared it won't stand up to my lifestyle.

It looks something like this:

I tend to be a clumsy person so I know I will be banging my hand and that ring into walls and crap pretty often. I also have a puppy who loves to chew my fingers. I think sapphire should be strong enough to stand up to that but I'm worried about the paved diamonds falling out. I am being paranoid over this, or should it be a real concern?

edit: changed the picture to a photoshoped version closer to the actual ring.

Kitten Kisses fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 24, 2009

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Kitten Kisses posted:

I tend to be a clumsy person so I know I will be banging my hand and that ring into walls and crap pretty often. I also have a puppy who loves to chew my fingers. I think sapphire should be strong enough to stand up to that but I'm worried about the paved diamonds falling out. I am being paranoid over this, or should it be a real concern?

You are going to be A-OK! If you have to repair the ring once every five to ten years the costs involved will be minimal.

You don't sound any rougher than the average jewelery customer, but you should always remove your jewelry when doing rough work with your hands.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

dishwasherlove posted:

Typically, a good rhodium job will only need a touchup every year, and possibly significantly less. My wife's engagement ring is two years old, and it hasn't needed another rhodium plating yet.

It's always a good idea to have a ring inspected and cleaned annually. Loose prongs can happen from banging the ring against a door or table, and it's the #1 reason we see missing engagement diamonds.

The only thing to know about platinum is that it's heavier, and that the costs are significantly higher. The metal is fairly affordable right now, but there will always be a price premium since it is significantly more labor intensive.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

GoreJess posted:

No, it's not wrong, as long as you're the one paying for the wedding. Traditionally, if your parents are paying for the wedding, they get to invite whoever they want. Now, most parents are willing to work this out & keep the list to a manageable number, but if your mom won't, you may have to consider declining her funding to get the wedding you want. That's because they become the actual hosts of the party since they're footing the bill.

I'm pretty sure my dad's going to be paying for a lot of it, not sure exactly how much just yet. My mom just doesn't have as much money.

I'm trying to compromise by sending announcements to everyone and anyone anybody asks me to after the wedding (if I get my way, they'll be hand pressed paper with wildflower seeds pressed into the paper itself), but my mom just got really upset that I didn't want to send an invite to her old college friend who I had met once that I even remember. I'll send her an announcement afterwards and even an extra hand written note in with it, but I just don't want to send her an invitation.

I think it'll be okay, I compromised and put her friend from middle school on the list since I have met her several times and she sends me birthday cards and asks about me whenever she talks to mom. I just dreamed of a stress free wedding (ahahahahahahahaha).

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Well I've finally decided that we're probably getting married at the Bellagio.

The notion of getting married in front of the fountains is just too much for me to pass up. It's absolutely lovely.

We've decided on a lower end packages with the terrace option so as to keep it relatively reasonable.

I'm super, super excited for this! :)

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
Ugh, wedding programs. Is this really necessary? I can't get my fiance to help me do anything, and this is one thing I just really, really don't care to waste my time on.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

tishthedish posted:

Ugh, wedding programs. Is this really necessary? I can't get my fiance to help me do anything, and this is one thing I just really, really don't care to waste my time on.

What kind of ceremony are you having? Is it traditional? Are you incorporating two different religions or uncommon rituals (like handfasting)?

If you're doing anything outside the norm for your family/community, I'd recommend putting together a simple program to explain what's going on during the ceremony. It's also something for people to look at while they're waiting for everything to start. If you're doing an outdoor wedding, the fan on a stick style is a nice gesture.

Do you have any friends that would help you print & assemble? This is the time to give all those people that have offered up their help something to do.

There are some real easy templates here: http://weddings.shanbritedesigns.com/templates.htm

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
It's a traditional but casual wedding. We were thinking about doing a unity candle, but that's been done in both his family and mine. I suppose I could get one of my bridesmaids to help out, it just seems so superfluous.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
My wedding is on August 22, and we're having an early morning ceremony in Joshua Tree National Park! Eek!

Silver String
Jun 15, 2005

tishthedish posted:

I would think that you can definitely skip it unless you are having some kind of super-complicated ceremony, or doing some weird ritual that the majority of your guests won't understand without a program telling them WTF. Otherwise, skip it. No one will notice anyway I'll bet.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?

cool kids inc. posted:

Well I've finally decided that we're probably getting married at the Bellagio.

The notion of getting married in front of the fountains is just too much for me to pass up. It's absolutely lovely.

We've decided on a lower end packages with the terrace option so as to keep it relatively reasonable.

I'm super, super excited for this! :)

Vegas wedding here, it was awesome! If you have any questions or anything let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

As someone who was raised baptist but is basically an atheist now, can anyone give me any advice as to what I should expect during pre-cana? I know I can marry her and have the church recognize it so long as I give permission for her to raise the kids catholic if she wants, but is my pretty much complete lack of faith going to be a problem?

I guess what I'm asking is do you just have to take the class and be happy with each other or can you actually "fail" if they think there's too much difference between the two of you even if my fiance and I are both happy with the result?