Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!
Goddamnit I wish I had a soft top. I'm trying to think of good, cheap ways to rig up a pulley system so I can take the hard top off myself using an overhead tree or awning. Convincing my buddies to help me isn't always easy, since it usually has to go back on soon enough anyway, what with this being Oregon and all.

Actually I like driving around in the rain topless, but I might be the only one. My bikini top doesn't really do much. If I was a girl this paragraph would probably sound hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Clamwacker posted:

Goddamnit I wish I had a soft top. I'm trying to think of good, cheap ways to rig up a pulley system so I can take the hard top off myself using an overhead tree or awning. Convincing my buddies to help me isn't always easy, since it usually has to go back on soon enough anyway, what with this being Oregon and all.

Actually I like driving around in the rain topless, but I might be the only one. My bikini top doesn't really do much. If I was a girl this paragraph would probably sound hot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

benzero posted:

Is there anything out there that has a little bass in it that we can add in place of the pods? I have heard some various soundbars and they pretty much suck. I have a sub that I can put in, but I leave the top off or doors off so much I really want something that will be harder to steal. Does anyone have a link to some decent options to consider without breaking the bank? I have considered buying the plastic box that goes into the center console, but I've heard it's just as lovely with that 6.5 in it. I'm used to having some decent sound (always had imports before) and that's the only thing that I hate about my jeep.

There's always the rear seat 'mod' that you can stuff your subs into if you're the adventurous type.

http://www.sirgcal.com/jeep/pics.html?section=03seat

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

wheres this now?

I got some that are a bitch already.

Just about anything will work. Graphite, bike chain lube, silicone... I used a stick of ski wax in a pinch once and it held up for quite some time.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
This might be a little off topic guys, but is this the defacto four wheel driving/off roading thread basically? I can't find anything else in this section. I don't want to be filling up the Jeep thread with non-jeep nonsense so was hoping there was another place for it.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

^^^

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2755109

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

wheres this now?

I got some that are a bitch already.

Honestly I don't know if it's sold anymore. The tube I have came from my dad and looks like it was made in 1978, but I still get Google hits for it saying that you can find it in parts stores.

If you can't find it, what you want is any sort of silicon-based lubricant. This stuff in particular is a heavy silicon gel that stays where you put it, and that's why it works well in a light coating.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Philip J Fry posted:

There's always the rear seat 'mod' that you can stuff your subs into if you're the adventurous type.

Just about anything will work. Graphite, bike chain lube, silicone... I used a stick of ski wax in a pinch once and it held up for quite some time.

I use liquid wrench liquid silicon for the zippers and channels of soft tops. Work's great, makes things super, super easy.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Hey everyone,

I'm an automotive novice that used some Army money to buy a nice '03 Wrangler a few years back. I live at an apartment complex in OK and thus my jeep sits outside 24/7 and I'm a little concerned about the elements and what they'll do to the frame and undercarriage over time. Any recommendations on how to care for the exposed metal parts that might rust?

Thanks in advance- and I'll post a pic soon.

benzero
May 25, 2005

Brains for dinner, brains for lunch, brains for breakfast, brains for brunch.

Philip J Fry posted:

Yeah, I've seen the sirgcal sub thread. I just am not sure about that plastic box. I think I'm going to have to put my old sub back in and just pray for the best. I may bolt it into the tub anyway.

Tossed Salad Man posted:

The factory stereo in my LJ is just fine. I ride around a lot with the sunrider and rear window open and I think that's possibly the noisiest combination possible.

Yeah, it was plenty loud, but it sucked complete rear end. It wouldn't play any CD's worth a poo poo and didn't have any way to hook up a sub easily. My 100 best buy special now has USB, aux in, and a sub output, so I'm way ahead on that now.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

I'm a fuckwit, thank you.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Cool... I knew I would find a Jeep thread here.

I bought this in March and have been having a blast so far. I am gathering the parts for a 2" lift, but don't have the money for 5 good off-road tires so the street tires will have to do for now.

So far, all I have done is lights, home-made nets (I am going to die them black... the red was cheap and I thought it would look good, but it got old fast), home-made tube doors, some internal storage mods, CB etc.

I have taken it to Uwharrie and done all of the intermediate trails without problems, even on street tires. I am really happy with how well this thing performs stock!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DILLIGAF posted:

Nice tubes!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Braincloud posted:

Nice tubes!
I thought I could make some for cheaper than buying pre-made... meh. I ended up spending $200 makig them, but on the plus side they are 1.5" .120 wall DOM tubing. The hinge bolts are grade 8... it should outlast the Jeep in a roll-over. :c00l:

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

You have some nice fabbing skills, man. You should pick up an older Jeep just to gently caress around with so you can turn it into a buggy or something when you get bored.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Goddamit I'm moving out of WA state and selling my 94 Wrangler, I'll miss messing around in that.

Also thirding the "nice tubes", great job DILLIGAF. Looks like you are having fun with that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I've never been so happy to have a coolant leak.

The lease on my Dakota is almost up and I've resolved that leases are for suckers. I'd try to find something I could buy with cash from my tax refund and not have car payments anymore (well, at least regular payments to a car company). I couldn't decide what I wanted for a while, but Jeeps are really very handy. I've had four Grand Cherokees and I've loved each one. Besides, I lost my favorite one in a divorce, and I wanted my drat Jeep back! :argh:

Yesterday, I saw a '99 Grand Cherokee Limited for a great price. Almost too great. With trepidation I called. The owner said that the rear differential judders on tight turns sometimes. So there was a catch afterall. I decide to go look at it anyway (the price was THAT good, that even if I had to replace the rear diff, I'm still coming out ahead).

I look it over, and although it has high miles, it's obvious that this thing was babied. Very clean, very solid, with all the toys I wanted and the requirements (4 wheel drive, towing package) too. The seller says he replaced the differential oil, and that it helped the juddering, it still does it "sometimes." I take it for a test drive, and the thing is solid. I go to a parking lot and do tight circles for 5 loving minutes before I can make the thing do it again. I figure that it'll probably be good for a while, and if it does go bad, the money I'll save should cover the repairs. I'll take it.

I bring it home, happy as a clam, but still nervous. Deals "too good to be true" usually are.

This morning when I start it up, the console alters me to "low coolant." Uh oh. Now, I remember very clearly that the coolant in the overflow tank was a little on the low side, because I made a mental note to top it off, but there were no leaks that I saw. When I check, it is definitely below the fill line.

I panic.

Even though I checked for coolant in the oil, and I smelled the exhaust, and it doesn't overheat, I instantly think "cracked head." I mean, if I'm losing coolant, and it's not dripping out, where else could it go?

I take it to get emissions tested anyway. If it has a cracked head, it probably won't pass emissions, and I'm going to have to register it no mater what anyway. When I get to the testing place and I'm waiting my turn, I jump out and look.

HOO-RAY! Coolant is dripping on the pavement! :unsmith:

So, it doesn't leak when idling, but it seems to while underway. Could be a hose, could be a cracked radiator, but either way it's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the head.

Funny thing is, I am 100% positive it wasn't leaking before I got it home. Ah well. Such is buying used cars.
Crappy pic from the ad:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

The juddering is probably from worn clutch packs on the Trac-Lok LSD. Also, they tend to be happier when you add some friction modifier in with the gear oil. Once they wear to a certain point, you'll simply lose the LSD 'benefit', so it's not a big deal really unless you plan on hitting some snow/ice anytime soon.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Yeah I would guess that he changed the diff oil and didn't use a friction modifier or LSD-compatible synthetic oil.

quote:

Goddamit I'm moving out of WA state and selling my 94 Wrangler, I'll miss messing around in that.

Care to share specs? I MIGHT be interested, but probably not soon enough for your time frame.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 19, 2009

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Ok, who else has a new Jeep with the 3.8L?

Are there any performance mods out there short of the Ripp Supercharger setup? I don't have $5K to spend.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

DILLIGAF posted:

Ok, who else has a new Jeep with the 3.8L?

Are there any performance mods out there short of the Ripp Supercharger setup? I don't have $5K to spend.

I do, and it totally drags rear end until the RPMs get to ~1,700 or so. When I'm not driving like an rear end in a top hat and I shift gears like I should, it takes a couple of seconds or so before it feels like it begins to accelerate.

I too am interested in mods, but nothing that is going to void my warranty

Edit: I also have the 3.21 rear end

carlcarlson fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 20, 2009

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

carlcarlson posted:

Really? drat. I thought Chrysler smartened up with the JK and started offering at least 3.55 as a bare minimum with the auto and V6.

If you have poo poo gearsing like that, regearing is probably the best bang for the buck.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

incredibull posted:

Really? drat. I thought Chrysler smartened up with the JK and started offering at least 3.55 as a bare minimum with the auto and V6.

If you have poo poo gearsing like that, regearing is probably the best bang for the buck.

Fortunately I have a stick. I've thought about regearing, but I'm afraid that will kill my already not-so-great gas mileage.

Also, would I just need to buy the ring and pinion, or do I need to an install kit too? I only have ~12K miles on it so far, so I seriously doubt that anything is worn out. But I've never done differential work, so I don't what can and can't be reused.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

carlcarlson posted:

I do, and it totally drags rear end until the RPMs get to ~1,700 or so. When I'm not driving like an rear end in a top hat and I shift gears like I should, it takes a couple of seconds or so before it feels like it begins to accelerate.

I too am interested in mods, but nothing that is going to void my warranty

I have 3.73 in my rear and while its still a dog, it accelerates good enough to get me on the freeway (which is all I really care about).

I am more interested in upgrading tires, wheels and a lift than I am in getting more performance out of the engine at this point.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

carlcarlson posted:

Also, would I just need to buy the ring and pinion, or do I need to an install kit too? I only have ~12K miles on it so far, so I seriously doubt that anything is worn out. But I've never done differential work, so I don't what can and can't be reused.

It looks like you might have 3.31 because I don't see R&P kits for 3.21 listed anywhere. If you want to go above 3.73, you'll need a larger carrier too. Otherwise, if you bought R&P kits for 3.73 front and rear, you'd be fine.

quote:

Fortunately I have a stick.

With gears like that, I'd rather have an auto. At least with an auto the torque converter does all the work of dealing with poor gearing. You on the other hand get to give your clutch leg a nice workout at all times.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

incredibull posted:

It looks like you might have 3.31 because I don't see R&P kits for 3.21 listed anywhere. If you want to go above 3.73, you'll need a larger carrier too. Otherwise, if you bought R&P kits for 3.73 front and rear, you'd be fine.

Nope... 3.21 is the standard gearing for an X without tow package. I have the same gears in mine (also a 6sp)

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

incredibull posted:

With gears like that, I'd rather have an auto. At least with an auto the torque converter does all the work of dealing with poor gearing. You on the other hand get to give your clutch leg a nice workout at all times.

From Jeep's "build your own" website

It looks like the install kits come with all of that, which makes it all a little too expensive for me.

I hate driving automatics, I don't care if the performance is shittier with a stick. I'll be goddammed if my daily driver is going to be an auto.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Philip J Fry posted:

The juddering is probably from worn clutch packs on the Trac-Lok LSD. Also, they tend to be happier when you add some friction modifier in with the gear oil. Once they wear to a certain point, you'll simply lose the LSD 'benefit', so it's not a big deal really unless you plan on hitting some snow/ice anytime soon.

incredibull posted:

Yeah I would guess that he changed the diff oil and didn't use a friction modifier or LSD-compatible synthetic oil.

Ah, I was hoping it would be something like that. I'll change the oil again myself, and make sure it has the right stuff.

EDIT: I drove it quite a bit yesterday trying to make the coolant leak again and it hasn't done it. The coolant drain plug does weep a little bit, so that's my likely culprit (and hopefully that's all it is). I'll probably have to have the system pressure tested.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 20, 2009

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Those of you with YJs, what the is distance between the back of your rear seat and the tailgate?

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*

incredibull posted:

Care to share specs? I MIGHT be interested, but probably not soon enough for your time frame.

edit: sold the jeep

quote:

Those of you with YJs, what the is distance between the back of your rear seat and the tailgate?

Just measured this for you. From the back of the rear bracket to the inner lip of the tailgate (ie the "inside" space) I get 15 inches.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 27, 2009

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thinking about selling off the XJ Cherokee and paying cash for a JK Rubicon 4 door.

Pros:
Most importantly: Im single after 7 years and my grandparents are giving me a large condo 1 block from the beach. A new Jeep with lots of room inside will be good for my image. I want to have a lot of fun this summer.
Comes with all the mods I've wanted to do to the Cherokee
Better fuel mileage
Easier to put 35" tires on and stay reliable

Cons:

this is where you come in. What are the bad things about these ? They seem bigger and clunkier than the XJ. Will I be able to wheel around the tight trails of BC that I could with the XJ ? What is the turning radius like ? Chrysler transmissions scare me, although the newer auto's don't seem to die like the 98-2002 era Dakota transmissions.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

jonathan posted:

Thinking about selling off the XJ Cherokee and paying cash for a JK Rubicon 4 door.

Pros:
Most importantly: Im single after 7 years and my grandparents are giving me a large condo 1 block from the beach. A new Jeep with lots of room inside will be good for my image. I want to have a lot of fun this summer.
Comes with all the mods I've wanted to do to the Cherokee
Better fuel mileage
Easier to put 35" tires on and stay reliable

Cons:

this is where you come in. What are the bad things about these ? They seem bigger and clunkier than the XJ. Will I be able to wheel around the tight trails of BC that I could with the XJ ? What is the turning radius like ? Chrysler transmissions scare me, although the newer auto's don't seem to die like the 98-2002 era Dakota transmissions.

Well.... The cons are that the 3.8 is pretty gutless and I imagine that it is even worse on the heavier Unlimited.

It might be an inch or two wider, but the the turning radius (I think) and clearance are better than your Cherokee so it may be a wash.

I haven't heard of any problems with the JK transmissions but if you want to do any water crossings, you will want to extend your breather tubes, they are way too low stock (JK is only rated at 22" of water!) Extending the various breathers will let you go in up to your airbox, about 36 inches (as long as you go slow)

The Rubicon has all the goodies, but you might want to flip your e-disco for the sway bar, as it is pretty fragile and unprotected.

All in all, I think you will be happy.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 21, 2009

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

jonathan posted:

Cons:
Chrysler transmissions scare me, although the newer auto's don't seem to die like the 98-2002 era Dakota transmissions.

For what it's worth, the transmission on my 2008 was made in Germany. Not sure if Daimler had a hand in that or not.

Donnie Darko
Jul 25, 2002
Any suggestions of places to buy from or brands to look for or avoid for a bicycle roof rack for my 2000 Cherokee?

qxz9p
Aug 15, 2005

your salmon tastes like happiness
Hey guys I'm in the market to buy a new '08 or '09 Rubicon this upcoming weekend. I went to my local dealership to search and they found 3 within 200 miles that meet my requirements (manual, 2dr). Unfortunately they can only search new inventory, I would have no problem buying a pre-owned. Anyway, a Rubicon has been my dream car for the last 8 or 9 years and I'm finally so close I was wondering if you guys have any warnings about things I need to look out for so I don't get shafted either in the price or features. Also do you guys have any recommendations/knowledge based on experience that I should know about before making such a huge purchase?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

qxz9p posted:

Hey guys I'm in the market to buy a new '08 or '09 Rubicon this upcoming weekend. I went to my local dealership to search and they found 3 within 200 miles that meet my requirements (manual, 2dr). Unfortunately they can only search new inventory, I would have no problem buying a pre-owned. Anyway, a Rubicon has been my dream car for the last 8 or 9 years and I'm finally so close I was wondering if you guys have any warnings about things I need to look out for so I don't get shafted either in the price or features. Also do you guys have any recommendations/knowledge based on experience that I should know about before making such a huge purchase?

Well, the dealers are hurting at the moment so you should be able to get a great deal. My friend just bought an '09 Rubi last month and got the hard-top and soft-top thrown in and drove out about $500 less than I paid for my '08 last year (I only got the hard top). Kinda pissed me off - wouldn't mind having the soft top too!

Just be prepared to walk away if you don't like the terms. I sat for 2 hours negotiating my price and finally said exactly what I'd pay and if they couldn't meet it, then we're done. They said no so I left. They called the next day and gave me my price.

Also, you will love your Rubi. I just rolled over 10K miles on mine and couldn't be happier.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Braincloud posted:

Well, the dealers are hurting at the moment so you should be able to get a great deal. My friend just bought an '09 Rubi last month and got the hard-top and soft-top thrown in and drove out about $500 less than I paid for my '08 last year (I only got the hard top). Kinda pissed me off - wouldn't mind having the soft top too!

Just be prepared to walk away if you don't like the terms. I sat for 2 hours negotiating my price and finally said exactly what I'd pay and if they couldn't meet it, then we're done. They said no so I left. They called the next day and gave me my price.

Also, you will love your Rubi. I just rolled over 10K miles on mine and couldn't be happier.

Mind tossing out real numbers?

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

Hey I'm having an issue with my 91 YJ right now, and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what it is.

When I'm moving at about 30 mph, it sounds like there's a squeaking coming from the front left. It doesn't sound like brakes at all. Also, when I hit the gas there's a clicking sort of sound going on, and a similar sound when I let off the gas.

I just replaced the spider gears in the back, but I don't think that's what is causing this, because it sounds to me like it's coming from the front center or the front left part of the rig.

I'm also getting some funky noises from the clutch, it sounds like. When I let the clutch out slowly, I get more of the light clicking and a bit of the squeaking sound.

Any ideas what I should look for?

Edit: The sound I'm hearing is more like chirping. Actually now that I think about it, it sounds like there's a fuckin bird under my front end somewhere. This seems to be more pronounced when I'm turning right at slow speeds, such as into or out of my driveway.

Clamwacker fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 22, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Welp, update on the Grand Cherokee.

I haven't been losing coolant, but I have been losing gas. :ughh: The tank leaks from somewhere up on top when it's filled to capacity. I can't imagine how it could rust up there, so I'm suspecting either something to do with the fuel pump (not likely, since I don't have fuel delivery issues), or the rollover valve. Of course, this means that I'll have to drain and drop the tank to even see what the problem is. :sigh: It doesn't look too hard. Anyone who ever swapped fuel tanks have any tips?

The other thing is that the transmission pan gasket is weeping. It seems pretty uniform, so I'll have to get under there with a torque wrench and make sure someone wasn't just dumb. Worst case, is replacing the gasket (and the filter while I'm in there). Shouldn't be hard, but according to the instructions there's no fluid drain plug, so you just have to unbolt a couple sides and dump the fluid out. Sounds really messy. Thanks, Chrysler.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Some gaskets want RTV, too. Maybe someone forgot it. It's really not that bad without a drain plug, you just have to take your time and let it drain slowly as you remove the pan.

But you can always put a plug in when you have the pan out to make it easier next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Clamwacker posted:

Hey I'm having an issue with my 91 YJ right now, and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what it is.

When I'm moving at about 30 mph, it sounds like there's a squeaking coming from the front left. It doesn't sound like brakes at all. Also, when I hit the gas there's a clicking sort of sound going on, and a similar sound when I let off the gas.

I just replaced the spider gears in the back, but I don't think that's what is causing this, because it sounds to me like it's coming from the front center or the front left part of the rig.

I'm also getting some funky noises from the clutch, it sounds like. When I let the clutch out slowly, I get more of the light clicking and a bit of the squeaking sound.

Any ideas what I should look for?

Edit: The sound I'm hearing is more like chirping. Actually now that I think about it, it sounds like there's a fuckin bird under my front end somewhere. This seems to be more pronounced when I'm turning right at slow speeds, such as into or out of my driveway.

This sounds very similar to the sound I was getting from the rear of my Vette. Turns out it was a u-joint, or, more specifically, one of the bearings. One of the finger bearings had developed a flat spot and started dragging, binding against its neighbors and giving them flat spots as well. The clicking was the joint passing over those spots at low speed and the chirping was, I thing, the sound of those scraping on the inside of the race.

After replacing the u-joint, it stopped.