Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

SO goalie monkey has the Itech 4.8's on clearance, and I can get a full right catcher and blocker for like $110. I'm going to try a couple local places (play it again, etc), see if I can find anything, then maybe order those if nothing else. Now I just gotta get down to the open skates once I do that!

You're getting the matching full right pink glove/blocker combo right...? :colbert:

God damnit I just picked up some kind of bacterial infection last weekend, just in time for finals but I managed to survive. I've got the worst loving cough ever and multiple nosebleeds daily. I'm hoping I'll feel better for Wednesday for shinny because I want to get in as many as possible before those god drat high school kids graduate and take up all my goaltending time.

Last time I went I was the only goalie there and I tried one of those 6 hour energy shots and I definitely noticed a difference, I don't really know if it was an improvement, but there was definitely a difference for me when I was on the ice. I can't really explain what it was like as I can't remember back that far right now but it worked in giving me energy during and after the shinny.

Does anyone do any work in the summer for camps? I want to know if you need like a solid resume or if you're taught what to teach the kids. Sorry if this is confusing to understand but basically tell me the process of applying to work and the like because I'd love to have a job on the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Flu + Hockey tournament vs lots of current D1 players = disaster. Ughhhh

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Flu + Hockey tournament vs lots of current D1 players = disaster. Ughhhh

Did you see any improvement in your game or is it hard to tell when you are going up against that caliber of player?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

Did you see any improvement in your game or is it hard to tell when you are going up against that caliber of player?

The flu just destroyed me all together. I'm used to playing guys that level but my head felt like it was in a pressure chamber and I had about 1/2 energy. The movement I did learn probably prevented me from vomiting every game but ugh... hopefully I'm in next year so I can redeem myself.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I played four times last week, and I'm finally getting somewhat comfortable. I figured out a good tightness for my pads, and I get beautiful rotation and can actually butterfly slide both ways! I started wearing hockey socks on top of my sweats, and that fixed the chafing.

After that much time playing, I've found one glaring problem I need to fix: stick work. I am really lazy with directing rebounds on low shots instead of just letting my pads kick them right back out in front, but that isn't the big issue. I think my big issue is keeping my stick way too vertical and close to my pads. On shots where I'm not going down often (warm ups or fast drills), I have tons of shots go right through my stick and in. Two times last game I had a shot actually push my stick under my pads as I butterflyed, both keeping my pads from sealing down all the way and also jamming my right hand and stick into a helpless position. The best I can tell, if I had my stick out farther in front of me it would be impossible for shots to push through.

My stick/blocker is by far my weakest point right now. I get beat high blocker a ton (percentage-wise... it's not like I'm leaving an obvious hole everyone shoots at). I make tons of shaft saves where I don't get the blocker up in time. I can't play the puck for crap being a right shot skater. I have stopped the puck one time on a dump, and I let it squirt right out to a forechecker as my D screamed at me helplessly. One shot actually took the stick out of my hand :sigh:

There are a ton of positives though. I finally had a few great save sequences that weren't absolute desperation. I had one where I kicked a rebound to my right on a 2 on 1. I slid over into a load to cover the original shooter as he picked up the rebound. When he passed it through my D to his buddy in the slot, I butterfly slid out to the top of the paint, making a chest save. I pulled the rebound back in with my stick and covered it while my D stared from the side of the net. :c00l:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

gco posted:

You're getting the matching full right pink glove/blocker combo right...? :colbert:

I was talking to a couple of my friends this weekend about it, they said I should do it, and say I'm supporting breast cancer.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Have my first league ice game tonight. I am also sick. Besides taking a five hour energy shot and eating like 4lbs of fruits.. what else can I do?

...I need smelling salts.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

T-Bone posted:

Goalies from Massachusetts approve this message.

Weird.

Also a goalie. Also from Massachusetts.

Also... approved?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

Have my first league ice game tonight. I am also sick. Besides taking a five hour energy shot and eating like 4lbs of fruits.. what else can I do?

...I need smelling salts.

Personally I pop three or four ibuprofen caps before a game. They help dull any aches and pains I might get during the game until I'm well off the ice.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Weird.

Also a goalie. Also from Massachusetts.

Also... approved?

I had a college roommate from Saugus :o:

gco
May 8, 2007

My roommate next year is from Boston :tinfoil:

Anyway, back to hockey.

Went to shinny today, was pretty happy with myself, only 1 GA, slid under my arm in prone. Had a six hour energy shot beforehand (it's cheaper than the 5 for some reason, but it works so I'm not complaining) and I'm starting to feel it working. This was only the second time I had it and it was overall probably my best performance since January. I'll definitely be picking up some more of those energy shots as I'm seeing them working more now.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Holy God, my Summit 7 catch came in today and this thing is amazing. I swear they made it better since the highschool tournament show. Seems easier to snap, lighter, tougher, and a deeper bucket of a catch. The stitching instead of screenprint of the TPS logos are appreciated. Sadly I wont be able to use it till Monday at best.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Well just had my first league ice hockey game. We won 7-6, no thanks to me. Shots on goal were something like 60-14.. They only had one shot in the second period.. and it went in.. uhg. The third period their team woke up a little and put a few more on me.. I was like swiss cheese out there. Although one deflected off one of my guys skate about a foot in front of me.. and another one I was trying to control and just knocked it in.

I am really pissed at how poor I played, but I also wasn't feeling 100%.. not that that matters. The ibprophen and 5 hour energy helped a lot but I still felt like poo poo. I am finding I am very streaky, sometimes I can stop everything that comes at me and other times everything goes past. I rarely have an in between.. it sucks.

Oh well.. I still have only been playing for about a year and I am still having fun, so thats all that really matters.

God damnit, I'm so pissed.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
You know, superstitions are funny things. I don't believe that they hold some kind of mystical power over one's performance, but drat if they don't affect my performance. After coming out with an incredible start to the season, I had two awful stinker games back to back. So with that, my brain started to retrace what was different about those two games. I recalled that I had worn my throat guard underneath my shirt to try something new, instead of over top of it like I normally do. And I also took my old tan towel along, when I had been using a new, dark colored towel for this season.

So yesterday night after the Pens/Caps game (go Pens!), I took a dark colored towel, and put my throat guard above my shirt like before. Stopped 35 out of 36 for a 3-1 win, and blanked the #1 scorer in the league in the process. Unreal.

Making the moment even more noteworthy was the fact that my team is the Penguins, and we were playing the Capitals. :cool:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
If I bang the shaft of my stick against the cross-bar.. a puck is going in. I also always put my left pad on first..

Also when I wear my gray under-armor I seem to do better than when I wear my black. Its all really stupid stuff but I think it may have some merit.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
What do you guys think of goalie camps versus working individually with a goalie coach? I need to reset my game, since my form is really starting to slip and I'm getting into the bad habit of relying on athleticism to bail me out of every situation, which can look impressive, but it wears you out quickly.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

What do you guys think of goalie camps versus working individually with a goalie coach? I need to reset my game, since my form is really starting to slip and I'm getting into the bad habit of relying on athleticism to bail me out of every situation, which can look impressive, but it wears you out quickly.

Depends on pricing, the problem with goalie schools is age. I'm 26 so going to a class with a bunch of highschoolers would make me feel weird. I'm pretty sure they still let you go so you can suck it up and take part if you want but I went the 1on1 route.

Its nice to have one person focus on you the entire time so they correct you right away when you're doing something wrong. My classes with Zach were $125 per hour which included an entire sheet of ice to myself. If there's an affordable class that gets you a lot of skates for a good price I'd give that a shot. The coach/student ratios are typically pretty good and watching other goalies do it right will help as well.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It looks like the bare minimum I can get leg pads for are about 109. It kinda sucks since I'm only using these things for floor hockey but then again, those 60$ mylec pads don't seem very helpful. Also, according to the system for measurement, I should be wearing almost junior size pads (I'm 5'4"), but the 32" pads I use in games seem to cover my knee in the right area.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

El Mariachi posted:

It looks like the bare minimum I can get leg pads for are about 109. It kinda sucks since I'm only using these things for floor hockey but then again, those 60$ mylec pads don't seem very helpful. Also, according to the system for measurement, I should be wearing almost junior size pads (I'm 5'4"), but the 32" pads I use in games seem to cover my knee in the right area.

Hockeygiant has a HUGE sale on all of their Mission Pads. They are selling 1000$ pads for 100$ right now..

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Last night's game was interesting, our normal goalie couldn't show, our new captain didn't have the list of goalies to find a fill-in. Since no one else volunteered and I knew we would get slaughtered if we didn't have someone in net I offered to fill in.

I haven't ever played goalie on the ice, nor have I even played goalie at all in about 7 years but damned if it didn't feel fun to get in there and stop some pucks again. More than once they had a guy come in on a breakaway that if I stayed in the crease he could've easily gotten a good shot on me so I came out and played the puck off the boards. Ended up getting 3 scored on me, 2 of them were one-timers coming from the back of the net so I doubt I would've had them even if I knew what I was doing. The other one was a breakaway from this girl who I stupidly should've come out more to play the angle but I stayed close to my crease and got beaten 5-hole.

I remember after stopping a few shots and simply laying on the pucks one of my teammates asked "drat you're doing good, have you ever done this before?" When I told him I hadn't on the ice he was amazed I hadn't gotten lit up, hell I think the other team was surprised they weren't able to score on me so easily.

Now my problem is that I feel the desire to play goalie more and more slowly creeping back in, and there's no loving way I can afford another $1000 worth of equipment right now.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

Went to shinny today, was pretty happy with myself, only 1 GA, slid under my arm in prone. Had a six hour energy shot beforehand (it's cheaper than the 5 for some reason, but it works so I'm not complaining) and I'm starting to feel it working. This was only the second time I had it and it was overall probably my best performance since January. I'll definitely be picking up some more of those energy shots as I'm seeing them working more now.

Not that I have the time now, but for future reference, where are you playing?

gco
May 8, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Not that I have the time now, but for future reference, where are you playing?

Currently I'm shinny-ing at the Twin Rinks in Stamford (Wed/Fri 6:30-7:50AM), was the only goalie again yesterday morning. I'm currently waiting on a reply from Darien (MWF 7-8AM) to at least get me in once a week since it's later in the morning and less of a drive from Norwalk and since I don't have a license to be able to drive myself (I'm taking classes starting next week though!), it'd be easier on my dad.

Are you planning to do anything along the lines of a summer league? I talked to some guys and they only know of something happening in Milford.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I played weirdly well at open hockey this morning. I decided to focus on staying out more, since I've been staying too deep in the crease lately, and really working on watching the puck come off of the stick. Those two changes helped a lot, but by some miracle I actually ended up on a team that played defense, so even when I gave up some bad rebounds, they were able to clear them out of harms way.

My trapper hand also continues to show improvement. It seems like it took me a while break in the glove and adjust to the NHL spec size, but it is starting to feel like second nature now and I'm getting my hand on a lot of shots that I don't think I would have caught in the past. I even managed to pull off a Statue of Liberty save, which means that I played the shot wrong, but it's still an impressive save when you manage to pull it off. Overall, it was nice to have a session where I felt like played well all the way through. A lot of times, I'll start off really well, but I'll run out of energy or my concentration will break and then things fall apart, but today I managed to keep things consistent and it was a nice confidence boost.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I had a weirdly awesome performance today as well. It helped that I was playing in an adult learn to play group, but I was stoning the instructors every time too. I'm finally pretty comfortable in all the equipment and know how to treat warmups so I don't completely wear myself out or stay cold. The five hour energy drink is also two for two in making me feel awesome. I'm going to try to save it for when I think I'll really need it though.

My main problems of stick positioning and recovering with the wrong leg are disappearing pretty steadily. I also played the puck once under some pressure north of the goal line without disaster (although it was a half ice drill and I realized when I picked up the puck that I had no idea which team was on O. I kept the puck away from a player from both teams just in case and cleared it to someone way up high that looked like they were on D.)

I've picked up a few weirdish habits already, but none of them seem too bad. I like to hold my glove angled straight up when the play is entering the zone (this feels like it helps me set mentally) and lower it as play moves in, still keeping a pretty fingers-up position. I definitely picked that one up from watching Varlamov right as I started playing the position, and I like it. I also tend to wiggle my catcher around a little, especially on breakaways. I think that one's less about taunting the shooter and more about being very focused and kind of wound-up for the shot. I've covered the puck with my blocker a good three or four times without really thinking about it, once somehow actually picking up the puck without dropping my stick. It just seems a lot more efficient when the puck's way over on the blocker side.

The only two goals I let in during the scrimmage were from my older brother though :mad: At least they were both pretty dirty.. one on a puck jammed in from under my pads and one shot from no man's land through three sets of legs that I never saw.

Unfortunately, now that the local beer league is starting up, it's going from five or six practices/pickup games a week to two, all on the weekend. I need to assassinate someone's starting goalie.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I can probably also attribute my confidence today to reading the most embarassing moments thread and the really old version of the same thread on thegoaliestore forums. I couldn't stop laughing at this one:

gophergirl posted:

I didn't even get the game started before not only did I make a fool of myself twice before the first whistle!

The first time we were getting ready to step onto the ice. Since the goalie always leads the parade, my team wanted to come out fast from the boards, to show how motivated we were. However, the height of the door to the ice was a lot higher than I expected ( not a normal door for players to go through) and I when I thought my skate should hit the ice, there was still no ice. I then proceeded to trip, fall over backwards and my water bottle and stick went flying to center ice.

The same game, at the start, I left the bench and skated hard to my net to start the game. I lost an edge, and went crashing into the net, dislodging it and pushing it up against the boards, almost tipping it back over on top of me.

Believe it or not, I actually had a good game. Who would have thought after that start?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I can probably also attribute my confidence today to reading the most embarassing moments thread and the really old version of the same thread on thegoaliestore forums. I couldn't stop laughing at this one:

Making an rear end out of yourself comes with the position. When I first started playing at inline open hockey, I had a terrible tendency of playing with my pads on the wrong legs. What made it worse was even after I would realize this, I was too stubborn/lazy to put my pads on the right legs. I also had a tendency of giving up long range goals and I've misplayed the puck a few times resulting in goals. I'm sure there are loads of other stupid things I've done, like not playing with a cup during my parking lot days, but wearing my pads on the wrong legs and still playing is pretty bad.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

real_scud posted:

Now my problem is that I feel the desire to play goalie more and more slowly creeping back in, and there's no loving way I can afford another $1000 worth of equipment right now.

Only $1000 to gear yourself out? poo poo, I wish that was realistic for me :\. I just dropped $730 yesterday for a new glove and blocker and I have to add another ~$20 to that order because my dangler mysteriously broke down the middle today.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Deer_fire posted:

Only $1000 to gear yourself out? poo poo, I wish that was realistic for me :\. I just dropped $730 yesterday for a new glove and blocker and I have to add another ~$20 to that order because my dangler mysteriously broke down the middle today.

You can get decent gear pretty cheaply. A lot of times if you buy used gear or look for the previous generation or two of senior level gear, you can get a nice setup for not a lot of money. It's a good direction to go when you are starting, but eventually I think we all succumb to some level of gear whoredom.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

Are you planning to do anything along the lines of a summer league? I talked to some guys and they only know of something happening in Milford.

Probably not, I've got a deck league I gently caress around in that I'll be playing in a handful of times over the summer, but most of my free time is all softball in the summer, between my teams and umping, it's about all I can get away with.

Deer_fire posted:

GoalieMonkey's got RX5 (pads/glove/blocker) sets for $380, RX7's for $570. Depending on what you're playing, you can definitely get geared for under a G.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

GoalieMonkey's got RX5 (pads/glove/blocker) sets for $380, RX7's for $570. Depending on what you're playing, you can definitely get geared for under a G.

Yeah, I know it's possible to get geared for under a grand, it's just not realistic for me at all. I'm super, super, super, picky my gear so I end up having to spend a lot.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I need to rant a little.

First of all, two things. 1. This is only floor hockey, I know. 2. I am DEFINITELY not a great goalie.

I just gave up 15 goals in two 20 minute periods of floor hockey. This is not uncommon for me. Well, 15 is pretty high even for me... but gently caress. We play on a court that's two volleyball courts next to each other in size. 6 on 6.

Listen, I know I'm not all that great but give me a loving break. Can I get some defense? Please? How is it that in EVERY GAME we play, you all KNOW they're going to do the cross ice pass for the one time shot on my far side but you never step in there to stop the pass? Why is it that I blocked more of those loving passes than anyone else on my team? It's to the point where I'm already leaning for the pass to block it because its there EVERY TIME.

WHY the gently caress do you keep letting them rip them at me from all the way across the court? Can't someone at least get close enough to put a loving stick within 10 feet of that guy? Yes, its my fault one got past me- but you know there's a guy charging the net for...

.. the REBOUNDS. You know, the 4 or 5 rebounds they get everytime I don't manage to smother the bouncing ball among myriad swinging sticks which all happen to be the other teams and no one from my team trying to dig it out?

thank god the seasons over. I think I have improved a little bit in at least where I know how my team is loving things up for me and it isn't the fact that I am unable to block all 50 shots in a game.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 18, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I discovered they had a balance board at the gym tonight. The top of the board was like a rectangular skateboard deck that balanced on a thin strip of wood. I messed around with it for a while and was able to stay balanced with out either edge of the board hitting the ground for about 20 seconds. I think I could have done a little better if I had done this before my leg workout, but it really seemed to work the control muscles that I use to stay balanced in my stance. It especially seemed to work my ankles and LCLs and I'll need to experiment with it more the next time I go to the gym.

Do you guys do any sort of balance exercises and if so does it seem to help your performance at all? I think that I want to get to the point where I can do a dumbbell workout while balancing on the board. I tried doing dumbbell shoulder presses while on the board with really light weight and it was definitely difficult to focus on the weights while maintaining your balance. I know that Jukka Ropponen seems to have a bunch of exercises designed around doing weights and other exercises while standing on a bosu or exercise ball, but I wonder how much those sort of exercises help in the net compared to traditional weight lifitng?

gco
May 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

I discovered they had a balance board at the gym tonight. The top of the board was like a rectangular skateboard deck that balanced on a thin strip of wood. I messed around with it for a while and was able to stay balanced with out either edge of the board hitting the ground for about 20 seconds. I think I could have done a little better if I had done this before my leg workout, but it really seemed to work the control muscles that I use to stay balanced in my stance. It especially seemed to work my ankles and LCLs and I'll need to experiment with it more the next time I go to the gym.

Do you guys do any sort of balance exercises and if so does it seem to help your performance at all? I think that I want to get to the point where I can do a dumbbell workout while balancing on the board. I tried doing dumbbell shoulder presses while on the board with really light weight and it was definitely difficult to focus on the weights while maintaining your balance. I know that Jukka Ropponen seems to have a bunch of exercises designed around doing weights and other exercises while standing on a bosu or exercise ball, but I wonder how much those sort of exercises help in the net compared to traditional weight lifitng?

At Valiquette's camp last year, we had that exact board balance thing during off-ice training and we were to do unweighted squats on them for 30 second intervals. I didn't really notice any improvements in my balance since I never continued to do it after the camp but I imagine it could help in the balance department.

Well I got almost no sleep last night, had hockey this morning at 6:30 and had a 6-hour energy and I'm starting to notice a difference in my reaction time. When I'm screened and can't see when the puck is shot from the point, I can get my toe out amazingly fast to stop it from going in the far side. The stuff has lasted me about 8 hours now and I'm starting to feel tired, which is good for no sleep but bad because I still have stuff to do today. Time for a Monster or something.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gco posted:

At Valiquette's camp last year, we had that exact board balance thing during off-ice training and we were to do unweighted squats on them for 30 second intervals. I didn't really notice any improvements in my balance since I never continued to do it after the camp but I imagine it could help in the balance department.

I may try to keep up with the balance board for a while, assuming I can find it again, and see what sort of progress I can make. It seems like it should help with my balance in my stance and training my limbs to move indepently, but I imagine the changes will be relatively subtle. I will say that it put a lot of strain on my LCLs, which is what I assume the exercise is supposed to strengthen.

Since my pads are coming on Friday, I've decided to ditch my old Vaughn knee pads in favor of volleyball knee pads. I picked up Nike Bubble Kneepads, since they had denser foam on the knee caps, which I am hoping will still provide protection if the puck somehow gets past my thigh guards and landing gear. They seem good after my crude experiments of punching the knee pads and slamming my knees into the ground. I doubt either of these testing methods are OSHA sanctioned, but they were the best testing methods that I could devise at work.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I still don't understand the wearing of knee pads at all. Maybe it's one of those after you try it once kind of things. Then again, I'm still delighted to finally have landing gear.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I still don't understand the wearing of knee pads at all. Maybe it's one of those after you try it once kind of things. Then again, I'm still delighted to finally have landing gear.

I started wearing knee pads after I removed the thigh boards from my old Vamps. The thigh boards kept getting stuck in my goalie pants and while getting rid of the thigh boards stopped that problem, it left my knees very exposed when I was on the ice or at that time SportsCourt. So after I took a puck or two to my knee, I decided to get knee pads, because I need additional protection for my knees, but going back to the thigh boards wasn't an option.

Another reason you need knee pads is if your pads suffer from over rotation (e.g. rotating so well that you end up slamming your knee to the ice and not the landing pads. Granted the knee pads only address the symptoms of over rotation and not the source (e.g. pad design or your strapping preference), but they do help reudce the beating that your knees take.

I currently use Vaughn knee pads, which do a good job of protecting knees from pucks, but they aren't the softest things in the world to land on and I need to use a lot of clear hockey tape to keep them in place. Now my knee leg pads have thigh guards, which wrap around your knee/thigh, instead of thigh boards, which is just a board of plastic/foam that is meant to give you extra 5-hole coverage, but after wearing knee pads for so long, I still want to have the insurance of extra knee protection, but I don't want to continue to use my old knee pads. I choose volleyball knee pads, becaue they can stay suspended without a garter or hockey tape and at least the knee pads that I got still seem to provide good knee protection. I'll see how well they work this weekend, but that is my rationale for wearing knee pads.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I also wear volleyball kneepads.. they work great. I wear them because my pads are lovely I guess, and the insides of my knees get beat to hell from slamming down on the ground.. so they remedy that. Volleyball kneepads are also great for paintball and pretty much anything you need to protect your knees in.

Had my second ice league game tonight. We lost 10-7.. but I feel better about this loss than my win last week. I faced 40 some shots (last week I had a 45 SV%) so that is a lot better. The team we played is also the local pro-shop team (they won the B league championship last year and then dropped down to C).. so I really don't feel too bad about the loss. I had really bad positioning on a few shots and my five-hole was abysmal.. again.

Has anyone taken the goalie clinics they have at the rinks? I really think they would benefit me, as I have only been playing a little over a year and my most formal training is youtube videos. :v:

So what are your opinions on those goalie clinics?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Unfortunately it's not in a form that I can post here, but I finally got a chance to see some video clips of me playing. Some of it was good, some of the bad stuff I already knew, and some of it was frightening to see. I was leaning towards taking tomorrow night off, but after watching footage of myself.

Out of the bad things I saw:

1) Poor stick discipline. I've noticed that this part of my game had been slipping lately, but I just saw footage of myself trying to make a save on a one-timer with my 5-hole wide open and my stick off the ice. Yikes.
2) Playing too deep in the net. I noticed that when I played that night and I corrected that the next time I played, which helped a lot.
3) Looked lethargic. I don't know if it was because we were playing a 2-on-2 and I was worn out, but I looked like I was moving around the net about a half-second behind the play. Granted the selection of videos were plays where my friend scored goals on me, so I didn't get to see any videos of the good plays that I made that night, but seeing that really makes me want to work hard the next time I get in net.

At least the next time I played, which was on Sunday, I felt that I played a better all around game, but video really exposes your mistakes much more than pictures do.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
In case anyone is on the market for goalie skates, Majer Hockey is selling blemmished Graf G-50s for $395 shipped with profiling and sharpening included. I'm not sure what the state of the blemmishes are, but saving $175-200 on something that is going to get beat up anyway seems like a good deal. I just ordered a set of white G-50s that are actually a full size bigger than my old skates, but I tried on the G-50s again at lunch to make sure the sizing was right, so I'm confident that this will allow me to stay on the ice longer than I could with my old skates. Of course, I now need to work really hard on my game, since I don't want to look like a putz flopping around in nice equipment.

They also have blemmished G-750s for $264, so it's a really good deal if you need new skates and don't mind some cosmetic defects.

Edit: Just make sure to mention that you saw the deal on the GSBB.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

They also have blemmished G-750s for $264, so it's a really good deal if you need new skates and don't mind some cosmetic defects.

Hot drat, they can't possibly be any more "blemished" than the ones I've been wearin for the past four years. Unless they were half melted in an industrial oven or something.

• Locked thread