Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Endless Mike posted:

Speaking of zippers, I got a pair of FieldSheer pants that came with a zipper. Do I just take the jacket and top zipper half in and tell the tailor where I want it, or is it best to take both and have them measure?

It'd be safer to take them both in and get it fitted correctly, but you could get away with just bringing the jacket and zipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

8ender posted:

drat. I've been looking for a good price on a mesh jacket for later this summer. Ordered. Also if you put the coupon code custreview41 in you get an additional 10% off the order.

Hah nice! I just ordered the S1 Leather jacket in black and your code saved me $15. $140 for a good leather jacket? hells yeah

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

How's this look for a summer jacket?

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3841

I've already got a nice A* Barcelona that I love, but it's just too friggin hot to wear during the summer months :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

It'd be safer to take them both in and get it fitted correctly, but you could get away with just bringing the jacket and zipper.
That's what I figured. Do I have them measured while standing, or take them out to the bike and measure while sitting on the bike?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

8ender posted:

drat. I've been looking for a good price on a mesh jacket for later this summer. Ordered. Also if you put the coupon code custreview41 in you get an additional 10% off the order.

got 2, one for me and one for my brother for around 45 bucks each

considering I won't even have the capability to get my car permit for close to another year, and he barely rides on the road anymore, it might not have been the best investment, but a good deal is a good deal, right?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Haha, this thread just turned into a bikebandit buying spree

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Endless Mike posted:

That's what I figured. Do I have them measured while standing, or take them out to the bike and measure while sitting on the bike?

Again, ideally while you're on the bike, but the jacket should be built with a stretch panel that the zipper would be sewn to, and it should be designed with enough slack that you can wear it comfortably. However, if you're mixing and matching, sometimes a little extra work may be required.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
are textiles good for dirt and mud v:downs:v?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dietcokefiend posted:

Any difference between the GPX and GPX 2.0?

EDIT: http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/joe-rocket-gpx-gloves-crash-tested

15-25mph crash ripped open the palm on that guys GPX gloves. Yikes

No idea about the difference between the two, but I've had an off in mine at that speed and they're hardly scratched. And to be fair, that was a 15-25mph forward flip on to his hands.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Ola posted:

edit: $48 was cheap, but with fees and shipping it's more like $150. :(

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/ does 25$ international shiiping. The gear isn't the cheapest around but the cheap shipping always wins getting things to me in Australia. Im not sure if that will help or not.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What do you guys where underneath your normal riding gear? My shirt and boxers start to bunch up as I get sweaty (loving hot outside now) which makes them bunch up in really uncomfortable ways making for some interesting shifting to correct things. Is there like some sort of futuristic moisture wicking boxers that dont stick to your skin and bunch up?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

dietcokefiend posted:

What do you guys where underneath your normal riding gear? My shirt and boxers start to bunch up as I get sweaty (loving hot outside now) which makes them bunch up in really uncomfortable ways making for some interesting shifting to correct things. Is there like some sort of futuristic moisture wicking boxers that dont stick to your skin and bunch up?

don't wear boxers

bulge warning lol:
http://www.championusa.com/Champion/Products/Men-Champion/Men_ShopByCategory-Champion/Men_Underwear-Champion/CHU478.aspx

aventari fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 16, 2009

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dubs posted:

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/ does 25$ international shiiping. The gear isn't the cheapest around but the cheap shipping always wins getting things to me in Australia. Im not sure if that will help or not.

Awesome, thanks a lot! Their prices are higher though, so it's not a steal but if I order it will probably be from them.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

I usually just wear boxer briefs (seriously, regular baggy boxers are the worst form of underwear ever invented) and a t-shirt that fits snugly. If it's really nasty hot, I wear some store brand UnderArmor knock-off stuff that I bought at Target last year. It works pretty well for me, and I'm pretty much your stereotypical fat porker goon who sweats like mad when it's over 85 degrees.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

dietcokefiend posted:

LD Comfort shorts are god damned awesome for racking up miles in all climates.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Skier posted:

LD Comfort shorts are god damned awesome for racking up miles in all climates.

That spokesperson guy sounds loving scary :gonk:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

That spokesperson guy sounds loving scary :gonk:

Would you like mee ... to dry ... your butt.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I'm buying my first bike in a couple of weeks (Ninja 250r, MSF course already scheduled ;)) and I'm putting together a list of gear. One thing I'm having trouble making a decision on is pants. I live in Georgia so it gets pretty hot in the summer months, and I can't decide if I should go with a textile overpant or leather pants. I would very much prefer the protection of leather and I really do not want to have to buy a new set of pants if I put the bike down in textile. On the other hand, I don't want something that gets too hot for me to want to wear. I'm also using this bike as my only means of transportation (mainly to work & class) so an overpant that I can just slip off would be much easier than having to change pants every day at work or walking around campus in armored leather pants.

I've never ridden before so I don't know how bearable leather pants would be through a Georgia summer. I'm really not a fan of textile, and it doesn't seem like it's worth the trade off unless leather is REALLY uncomfortable. I like these A* leather pants a lot but I'm worried about comfort and practicality. I'm not going to be doing any track riding so those pants might be a bit overkill, but there's no such thing as too much protection. How comfortable would those be to walk around in?

I guess the same thing applies to a jacket too, would http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/314/ITEM/Alpinestars-Stage-Perforated-Leather-Jacket.aspx be too uncomfortable in the summer? The reviews on the site seem pretty mixed. Thanks a lot for any advice, I'm excited to get riding!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I wear perforated leather pants in the summer and they are the least of my worries when it gets really hot. I find them comfortable. They are also okay to walk around in if you need to pop into the store or something. However, I wouldn't wear them to work as they could be a PITA to get in and out of.

These would be better than the ones you are looking at for the airflow alone:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/19712/ITEM/Alpinestars-Track-Leather-Pants.aspx

Personally, I'd get textile overpants for commuting. It is so much better getting in and out of them and you'll be able to store them easier.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Uthor posted:

I wear perforated leather pants in the summer and they are the least of my worries when it gets really hot. I find them comfortable.
How does perfed leather compare to pure mesh in the heat? Does they flow about the same amount of air?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

MourningGlory posted:

How does perfed leather compare to pure mesh in the heat? Does they flow about the same amount of air?

I find my Perf jacket is great as long as I don't have to sit still at all. REed lights and stop signs VERY quickly become sauna's.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Uthor posted:

I wear perforated leather pants in the summer and they are the least of my worries when it gets really hot. I find them comfortable. They are also okay to walk around in if you need to pop into the store or something. However, I wouldn't wear them to work as they could be a PITA to get in and out of.

These would be better than the ones you are looking at for the airflow alone:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/19712/ITEM/Alpinestars-Track-Leather-Pants.aspx

Personally, I'd get textile overpants for commuting. It is so much better getting in and out of them and you'll be able to store them easier.
Thanks for the advice and link to those pants. I'm going to go try some stuff on locally later this afternoon and see how it feels.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MourningGlory posted:

I can't really compare the two. The only mesh I've worn was a jacket, and I can only compare that to my JR leather jacket that is solid in front and mesh panels on the sides (which flow okay until it gets really hot and the jacket starts sticking to you). My perforated leather pants feel just slightly warmer than jeans at speed.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I know we've got a few people with Olympia gear, but how do you guys like it? I'm considering a jacket/pants combo for all-weather riding, everything from the upper 30's to the upper 80's. Their GT Air All Seasons jacket looks almost perfect for that, or else the AST for a more touring-oriented jacket. The bike is my primary transportation in Minnesota from April-October and into November, so I figured investing in some quality gear is a good idea.

I know leather would be "better" from a protection standpoint, but a good all-weather textile jacket will save me from hauling around a windbreaker/rain jacket and pants when the weather is iffy. Currently I have a leather jacket for cool to mild temps, and a lightly waterproof textile for the really hot summer days. I'm hoping I can swing by one of the nearby Olympia dealers this week on my day off, the closest one is about an hour's ride away unfortunately.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

aventari posted:

Hah nice! I just ordered the S1 Leather jacket in black and your code saved me $15. $140 for a good leather jacket? hells yeah

:(

Just got an email from BikeBandit:
"The manufacturer has notified us that the following item(s) in your order have been discontinued and is not longer available.
Yoshimura S1 Leather Jacket 1 $127.25 Not Available"

I also ordered some brake pads, so they just shipped those. That sucks, I wouldn't have made the order and had to pay shipping for just some brake pads... They should have contacted me first.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PitViper posted:

I know we've got a few people with Olympia gear, but how do you guys like it? I'm considering a jacket/pants combo for all-weather riding, everything from the upper 30's to the upper 80's. Their GT Air All Seasons jacket looks almost perfect for that, or else the AST for a more touring-oriented jacket. The bike is my primary transportation in Minnesota from April-October and into November, so I figured investing in some quality gear is a good idea.

I wear my AST exclusively when the weather is between 40 and 85 degrees. Above 85 it's a bit hot and below 40 I'd need a sweater or something underneath the liner. I have the Ranger 2 pants to go along with that. I never, ever wear the liner in those, but they get uncomfortable before the jacket does in the heat.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Uthor posted:

I wear my AST exclusively when the weather is between 40 and 85 degrees. Above 85 it's a bit hot and below 40 I'd need a sweater or something underneath the liner. I have the Ranger 2 pants to go along with that. I never, ever wear the liner in those, but they get uncomfortable before the jacket does in the heat.

Its almost like you went into my closet and stole my clothes :v:

I wear the same gear, and I rode regularly through the winter up until the first big snowfall that brought ice and crap. Lowest temp was about 25, and I was fine except for my gloves. In winter I wear liners in both, and so far in spring and summer I have been going without the liner in the jacket, and using bluejeans under my riding pants to wear at work. If you get a size over for the riding pants, you can easily fit normal pants under them so you dont look like an asshat when you commute.

Also just this past week I finally figured out how to use the vents on the jacket properly. Almost get too much air, plenty of cooling for riding upwards of 90+ here. Vent placement is perfect to keep your arms, chest, and back dry even on really hot days as long as you are moving.

I haven't wiped out in any of my gear yet, so can't comment on that durability, but it has held up to my usage just fine so far. Not exactly sure how I am going to wash the bug spatter off the jacket might just hose it off one of these days.

In terms of rain-proof, the AST + ranger pants are awesome. Very good weather sealing, no rain water driven in at higher speeds. Only downside is you lose some of the cooling vents on the front, but that is the downside of riding in the rain.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Hmmm... I'll have to try them on to make the decision. There's a total of 3 shops around me that are supposed to stock the Olympia gear, and I'll be going right past one on Thursday anyway. I like the GT Air because of the sportier cut and the huge vents, but the AST looks to be the better fit for all-weather riding.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

PitViper posted:

Hmmm... I'll have to try them on to make the decision. There's a total of 3 shops around me that are supposed to stock the Olympia gear, and I'll be going right past one on Thursday anyway. I like the GT Air because of the sportier cut and the huge vents, but the AST looks to be the better fit for all-weather riding.

I think the biggest pro for the AST gear is the fact it works in drat near every condition. I like making my gear a no-brainer, same gear every day, no matter what the conditions are outside.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yea, the 90*+ day we had today reminded me of why I need a better-flowing jacket for summer. It was a bit sweltering in a non-perf leather jacket, even with the vents open :)

I'll post up my thoughts on the AST vs GT Air jackets after I try them out on Thurs, assuming the shop has both in stock.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

That cheap Yoshimura jacket I ordered from Bikebandit arrived today. I'm stunned at the quality. Its actually a really nice jacket. Its sparse on pockets but the wind goes right through it like its not there and the fit is perfect. I'm really impressed by it.

Drew Tyler
Nov 4, 2007

I'll never sleep alone
Do these modular helmets hold up well in a crash? http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face_flip_up_chin/hjc/is_max_solid_and_metallic_motorcycle_helmet.html
I've already purchased and used it. The chin seems very sturdy but flips up with a large button on the chin which worries me. I was looking for reviews online and found none that weren't regular consumers.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
I've heard stories of them opening up during a crash. That's total anecdotal evidence though. Personally, unless I had a compelling reason to wear a modular, I wouldn't wear one. If you're going to bother with a helmet, might as well wear one that can't accidentally expose your face to pavement.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Drew Tyler posted:

Do these modular helmets hold up well in a crash? http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face_flip_up_chin/hjc/is_max_solid_and_metallic_motorcycle_helmet.html
I've already purchased and used it. The chin seems very sturdy but flips up with a large button on the chin which worries me. I was looking for reviews online and found none that weren't regular consumers.

There were some pics up on ADVRider of those helmets ripped open (here's one thread). I'm pretty sure SNELL refuses to rate them. I'd wear one over a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet any day, but I don't have enough problems with my full face to get a modular.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Drew Tyler posted:

Ahhhh, the beer-drinker helmet.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Drew Tyler posted:

After seeing discussion about how well they hold in in crashes, I sure as hell wouldnt trust them over an integrally molded one piece full face helmet. Normal helmet the entire chin section is going to be dependent on the strength of the chin section made out of some pretty beefy fiberglass. On the modular style it is all on how strong the hinge mechanism is (nowhere near as strong as one piece). I think the AVD guy who earned a almost hosed up face and some narly looking eyes had the most expensive top of the line flipup helmet on the market.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Speaking of flip up helmets, check out this one:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nexx-x30/

Pretty interesting. Its a flip up, but the chin bar is integrated into the main shell of the helmet so it manages to get the safety ratings.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

8ender posted:

Speaking of flip up helmets, check out this one:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nexx-x30/

Pretty interesting. Its a flip up, but the chin bar is integrated into the main shell of the helmet so it manages to get the safety ratings.
forget the flip, look at the styling. that's awesome. how great would that look on an rc8?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

forget the flip, look at the styling. that's awesome. how great would that look on an rc8?

Damnit seeing something as awesome looking as that makes me wish I had a bike and completely matching awesome gear :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

how great would that look on an rc8?

Or a Super Duke.

I have a Caberg Rhyno flip up and the flimsy looking hinge has me concerned. It would probably need multiple impacts from different angles to separate the lid and then injure my face, which isn't that likely, but there's definitely a risk which isn't there with a solid full face.

Not yet a convert though. I love my flip up and my next helmet will be one as well.