Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

Yeah. That's what I thought too. It's almost like making a computer that will blow up if you attempt to connect broadband internet to it.

Pretty sure I'm gonna get an iPhone. It just seems like the best choice all around.

Agreed. BB integration w/ iCal and the mac ecosystem is pretty clunky. That few dollars a month you're seeing as a price difference will pay your frustration tax in spades.

It's really not just a "fun phone"--iphone has really stepped up to cover most business needs. And the facebook mobile on iphone is unparalleled, even moreso with the upcoming push implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

iPhone will be a much less unreasonable deal if AT&T ends up cutting the 3G data cost to $20/month for it, as is heavily rumored. That would drag the total line cost down to $50/month or $54/month (280 or 420 anytime minutes, respectively) including SMS and data as an evenly-cut percentage of a family/group plan, minus any employer discount you can slap on that bitch.

$50/month isn't a cheap phone bill by any stretch, but it's no longer stratospherically high. Given the current state of iPhone hardware (3G, GPS) and the software ecosystem that's been cultivated (the games are p sweet), I could see people being able to justify it with a straight face -- relative to the rest of the market -- for the first time.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

I'm on the fence between a Blackberry Bold and an iPhone. I have AT&T Wireless. Anymore, it seems the people at my local store have become corporate drones and won't do anything but sales-pitch the gently caress out of the Blackberry, presumably because they don't carry the iPhone at that specific store. I just want the truth about these products without a bias.

A bit of background: I'm a professional vocalist who not only has to maintain a schedule of gigs for money, but also a schedule for my original project(s). On top of all that, I'm going to be a senior in college and I have homework/gigs for that (I study voice in school as well). So I've been looking for a phone that can manage multiple calendars, have alarms/reminders, etc. I run all Mac computers and currently manage my scheduling/communications with iCal & Apple Mail/Address Book, so I'd need something that will easily sync up. I also use social networking sites (facebook, twitter, myspace, etc.) to promote myself as an original artist, which I would love to be able to access on my phone since I've been finding less and less time to really sit down and promote via internet means.

The other concern of mine is cost. The BlackBerry plan AND device seems to cost less than the iPhone (the latter of which is $30/mo for data plus whatever it costs for SMS, while the BlackBerry's data plan is a few dollars cheaper per month), but with the BlackBerry I have to purchase another $9.99/mo service from AT&T in order to use GPS. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the iPhone have a GPS built-in? Will I still need to pay monthly for that GPS service, or is it included with the rest of the unlimited data plan?

So goons, which should I pick?

Pick the iPhone even though I like the Bold better. The BlackBerry data also costs $30 a month like the iPhone. You don't have to pay $10 a month for AT&T's repackaged TeleNav but you cna use Google Maps. TeleNav is voice nav while voice nav on the iPhone needs xGPS which is a jailbreak program. Voice nav will be supported in 3.0 IIRC. The Facebook app for BlackBerry absolutely sucks compared to the iPhone FB app. Plus Macs and BlackBerrys don't play nice anyways. The iPhone will sync with Apple products well, so get the iPhone.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
Question - I am using t-mobile pre paid / pay as you go service on a phone with a sim card. If I buy a new phone, can I just put that sim card into it and it works? Or does it depend on phone?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Beat. posted:

Question - I am using t-mobile pre paid / pay as you go service on a phone with a sim card. If I buy a new phone, can I just put that sim card into it and it works? Or does it depend on phone?

Unlocked yes, foreign GSM carrier often (but make sure), T-Mobile to Go yes, T-Mobile maybe, AT&T (and other American GSM carriers) almost certainly not, CDMA carrier mu.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
Hey, I was on a family plan, but that got nixed, so I'm left looking for a plan for myself.

What I'm seeing so far for mininums is $39.99 for basic minutes with no texting, and like $10 more for texting. Does nobody else think this is retarded for the basics when it comes to phones?

I think I was just spoiled by how cheap per person it was for the family plan...

Bleh. Are these my options? I don't plan on browsing the web, sending a ton of data over the phone, I just want a way to get in touch with people, and receive/send texts when I feel the compulsion.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blinky2099 posted:

I lost my Samsung Flipshot and have ~1 year and 4 months left on my Verizon contract. I'm probably looking to either buy a new or used phone outside of Verizon in hopes to get it for less.

I liked the Flipshot aside from the voice quality being absolute poo poo (but with that being said, I wouldn't buy it again). I'm looking to either pay full price for a phone that I'm only going to use for a year (probably just buy used???) or get a 1 to 2 year extension (which I really don't want, but if it means not having to use a cheap piece of poo poo for the next year and a half then that's a possibility).

Any suggestions? I've been looking at the Alias 2. I might just try to extend the contract by 1 year for a price drop. I should be happy with the phone for the full 2 years, and if I bought it and only used it for one year it would probably be a waste of money.

Edit: I called the local Verizon reseller and apparently if I contact Verizon customer support they're probably willing to just give me a 1-year service extension with the 1-year service price on a phone (which is still going to be a good amount higher than the 2-year price obviously, but a least it won't be ridiculously expensive). Maybe I'll do that, but that still leaves me stuck with Verizon for 2 1/3 years.

Looks like I'm definitely just eBaying a new phone or something rather than paying full retail. Any suggestions?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Oddity posted:

Hey, I was on a family plan, but that got nixed, so I'm left looking for a plan for myself.

What I'm seeing so far for mininums is $39.99 for basic minutes with no texting, and like $10 more for texting. Does nobody else think this is retarded for the basics when it comes to phones?

I think I was just spoiled by how cheap per person it was for the family plan...

Bleh. Are these my options? I don't plan on browsing the web, sending a ton of data over the phone, I just want a way to get in touch with people, and receive/send texts when I feel the compulsion.

That's about the going rate for plans. Welcome to the real world.

edit: Check out the Sprint SERO thread for a good deal.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Joe Don Baker posted:

That's about the going rate for plans. Welcome to the real world.

edit: Check out the Sprint SERO thread for a good deal.

Thanks for the info :)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Renewed a two-year contract in August.

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like a smartphone. I'm willing to spend somewhere between $350-700

Features I know I want: Websurfing, GPS, Apps, full keyboard, etc.

Honestly, I'm torn between the T-Mobile G1 and the iPhone. It seems like the G1 is favorably comparable, it just doesn't have as large a pool of apps yet. Is there anything else that I should keep in mind when weighing the pros and cons of them?

If this has anything to do with it, I have EDGE in my area.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The G1's a pretty horrible deal on T-Mobile, especially if they haven't bothered deploying 3G in your area yet. You'll be paying them +$25/month for EDGE data and a meager 400 SMS bundle just for the privilege of owning a G1.

Your cheapest bet would be to scrape an iPhone 2G off of eBay and try following this advice to get T-Mobile's discontinued +$5.99/month data plan plopped onto your account. I did this briefly early last year and it worked alright, aside from T-Mobile's EDGE network being slow and erratic as hell (but it's EDGE, so what the gently caress do you expect, right?).

Sorry to hear you're stuck with T-Mobile for the next 14 months. When you're finally out of contract, remember, go AT&T if you care about cool phones and go Sprint if you care about price and a bigger 3G footprint.

EDIT: For anyone else mulling over a Googlephone... it's worth noting that it's actually cheaper to buy a T-Mobile G1 off of eBay and use it on AT&T's +$15/month (+$10/month if you're on a family plan) data plan if you're hosed into EDGE in your area anyway. And as of June 2, we'll have importable Googlephones (G1 and HTC Magic) thanks to Rogers in Canada that are compatible with AT&T's 3G network and with their $15/$10 data plans.

Just wanted to make sure that I didn't come off sounding pro-Apple or anything. An iPhone 2G makes the most financial sense in your situation, but I'm personally pretty fond of what Google's doing with Android -- just not T-Mobile's mindblowing cocksuckery.

kbar fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 24, 2009

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Is it worth the extra money to get a factory unlocked iPhone?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Morby posted:

Is it worth the extra money to get a factory unlocked iPhone?
No, not even a little bit. You can self-unlock an iPhone 2G in a matter of minutes by plugging it into your PC and running some Windows (or Mac OS X) software.

EDIT: Looks like iPhone 2G goes for about $215 on eBay. Get you some!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

kalibar posted:

No, not even a little bit. You can self-unlock an iPhone 2G in a matter of minutes by plugging it into your PC and running some Windows (or Mac OS X) software.

EDIT: Looks like iPhone 2G goes for about $215 on eBay. Get you some!

But I still have to be careful not to do the firmware updates, right? Sorry I keep asking so many questions.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

The G1's a pretty horrible deal on T-Mobile, especially if they haven't bothered deploying 3G in your area yet. You'll be paying them +$25/month for EDGE data and a meager 400 SMS bundle just for the privilege of owning a G1.

Your cheapest bet would be to scrape an iPhone 2G off of eBay and try following this advice to get T-Mobile's discontinued +$5.99/month data plan plopped onto your account. I did this briefly early last year and it worked alright, aside from T-Mobile's EDGE network being slow and erratic as hell (but it's EDGE, so what the gently caress do you expect, right?).

Sorry to hear you're stuck with T-Mobile for the next 14 months. When you're finally out of contract, remember, go AT&T if you care about cool phones and go Sprint if you care about price and a bigger 3G footprint.

Except T-Mobile is the cheapest of the 4 major carriers when it comes to pricing (with the exception of the Sprint EPRP plan.) My BlackBerry plan is $20 for tethering and unlimited data. On AT&T, it would cost me $60 for both. Unfortunately T-Mobile decided to raise smartphone data plans $5 without a 3G smartphone that isn't the G1 yet. And I don't even know if they allow tethering anymore in the ToS for the BlackBerry plans.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

T-Mobile's cheaper for voice minutes if that's all you're looking for, and a BlackBerry data plan with tethering can't be purchased for +$20/month anymore (and is also a better value under EPRP, as you mentioned). Then again if you're a BlackBerry customer in the first place, you've clearly got factors other than "getting the best deal" motivating your choices, which is also fine.

AT&T sells a +$15/month or +$10/month 3G data option that works with unlocked phones. T-Mobile does not. AT&T wins for many people because of this.

+$25/month for T-Mobile's data + 400 SMS plan in a market where UMTS isn't deployed is blind robbery, and you know that.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Morby posted:

But I still have to be careful not to do the firmware updates, right? Sorry I keep asking so many questions.
It's not like iPhone firmware updates are pushed to your device over the air or anything; they're pretty infrequent and require you to plug your phone into the computer and hit the "check for new updates" button in iTunes. New firmwares are generally cracked to work on unlocked iPhones in short order, so you'll be fine.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

T-Mobile's cheaper for voice minutes if that's all you're looking for, and a BlackBerry data plan with tethering can't be purchased for +$20/month anymore (and is also a better value under EPRP, as you mentioned). Then again if you're a BlackBerry customer in the first place, you've clearly got factors other than "getting the best deal" motivating your choices, which is also fine.

AT&T sells a +$15/month or +$10/month 3G data option that works with unlocked phones. T-Mobile does not. AT&T wins for many people because of this.

+$25/month for T-Mobile's data + 400 SMS plan in a market where UMTS isn't deployed is blind robbery, and you know that.

I don't remember the $10 data plan on AT&T but I certainly know about the $15 MediaNET. T-Mobile also sells BES for $30 per month compared to AT&T's $45 per month.

Also, you got t-zones last year because t-zones was still offered when you got it on your plan. t-zones is discontinued for a 100 MB package which was a stupid decision by T-Mobile. And yes, I know that $25 for T-Mobile's data on the G1 is a ripoff without 3G but so is the iPhone 3G's without 3G.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still looking for a Verizon phone, no one has suggested anything yet :( I don't think I'm being too specific or anything. I'm willing to look at a large variety of phones.

- I have 1 year and 4 months left on my contract. I'm not eligible for a phone upgrade, so I'm buying one off of ebay rather than from Verizon.
- I'd normally say I don't want an absolute top-of-the-line phone since I'll only have Verizon for just over a year more, but I'll probably want to replace it by the time September 2010 comes around anyways. I want a quality phone, but probably not something I'll be spending $400+ on.
- I've never really liked touchscreens or full keyboards but am willing to give either a try.

Previous Phones: Nokia N73, Samsung Flipshot

My biggest thing is having fast software, buttons/touchscreen are easy to use without frequent errors, and it being a good phone all around. I won't be using much (if any) web and don't care about stuff like music. A somewhat decent camera and maybe some game availability would be nice (a phone that I can unlock to get custom games and such would be awesome if they aren't too hard to come by for Verizon) but other than that I really just want a quality phone that's easy to text on, has good voice quality, etc.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 26, 2009

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

# Country/Provider: US/ATT

# Current contract status: Out of contract

# Budget (phone/plan): Family plan.

# Features I know I want: Qwerty, gps navigation, 3.5 headphone, wifi, ability to have multiple alarms.

So I've been using a Nokia E61i unlocked for two years on my families ATT account with no data, just wifi since my campus is covered. I don't really want to renew my contract with ATT as I've been happy with buying an unlocked phone and just throwing the sim in. At some point I should just pony up for the $15 a month data plan. The phone is getting long in the tooth at this point. It is slow as all hell, even after a fresh reformat. Finding applications for it involves me digging through howard forums or the S60 thread here. Everything about it just seems slow. I can't be in a hurry when I want information from it.

I want to move to something easier and faster. Nokia has really been bothering me with their decisions. S60 just feels like they're stacking more OS crap on top of older OS crap, the new touch OS on the 5800 did not impress me at all. Want a new OS revision? S60v3 to s60v3 feature pack 2? Shut up and buy a new phone from us. The poor launch of the ovi store and how they treated developers on their ovi dev forum seemed pretty terrible and is going to push people away from the platform.

I'm tired of S60. WinMo doesn't interest me and felt clunky like S60 on some phones I played with it. I really don't want an iPhone and have to deal with apple or not being able to run multiple apps at once. Android looks really slick, but the G1 doesn't have a headphone jack and the battery life worries me.

Right now my phone feels like the jack of all trades, but master of none. I can do gps but I need a bluetooth gps module. I can do music but I need a god awful headphone adapter. I can do internet stuff but the browser is slow, even using opera mini. None of the programs feel polished. The phone itself is huge. Having to select access points every time I use an internet app pisses me off and I don't want to have to use a third party app to deal with it.

At this point I'm not sure what I want. Android seems to be what looks the best but I worry about the hardware not being what I want. That and is there a GPS navigation app for it that isn't a monthly fee or subscription based, IE one time fee or freeware? I'm open to other suggestions. At this point I have no idea what I really want.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I need some advice. I'm currently using a Nokia E51, and while I'm quite happy with it, I've discovered that I really like all the smartphone-features - surfing the web, e-mail, QuickOffice, the calendar etc. - and I'd like to get a "proper" cutting-edge smartphone when my contract is up for renewal in June. Now, as an Apple-fanboy, the new iPhone would be a given, but no matter how cool it turns out to be, I won't switch to its exclusive carrier here in Switzerland (I'm very satisfied with my current carrier & contract, thanks).

So, I've been holding out for the Pre, but I'm afraid it simply won't make it to Europe in time. It's a drat shame, but I've got to be realistic... I'm getting pretty desperate right now - what are the best alternatives? I've been looking at HTC's Touch Pro 2 recently, but I'm not sure I want a WM-device (is it really that bad?), and the resistive touchscreen is a real turn-off. Still, what else is there with a decent physical keyboard (which isn't a dealbreaker, but it's definitely a pro in my book)? Android is cool, I guess, but the only interesting Android-phone is Samsung's upcoming i7500 which has no physical keyboard and pretty lackluster hardware, if gsmarena.com's data sheet is correct.
Is there a cool phone I've been overlooking?

drat, I really want the Pre :(

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

Godzilla07 posted:

Pick the iPhone even though I like the Bold better. The BlackBerry data also costs $30 a month like the iPhone. You don't have to pay $10 a month for AT&T's repackaged TeleNav but you cna use Google Maps. TeleNav is voice nav while voice nav on the iPhone needs xGPS which is a jailbreak program. Voice nav will be supported in 3.0 IIRC. The Facebook app for BlackBerry absolutely sucks compared to the iPhone FB app. Plus Macs and BlackBerrys don't play nice anyways. The iPhone will sync with Apple products well, so get the iPhone.
I'm not afraid of jailbreaking, in fact I was planning to do so when I bought the thing. I'm so getting the iPhone on July 17th (when the new ones are coming out)!

That being said, I'm planning to go to Burning Man this year and I don't want to take my iPhone. What would you guys recommend as the best/cheapest Pay-As-You-Go provider? I'd go with AT&T but their rates seem so expensive...

edit: Text/SMS messaging included in the general pool (as in, not having to pay another monthly fee on top) would also be ideal.

CHRISTS FOR SALE fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 27, 2009

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

I'm not afraid of jailbreaking, in fact I was planning to do so when I bought the thing. I'm so getting the iPhone on July 17th (when the new ones are coming out)!

A new iPhone is coming out July 17?

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joe Don Baker posted:

A new iPhone is coming out July 17?

I believe it was confirmed in June (although this "confirmation" is unconfirmed by me).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone have any experience with the LG Renoir I can get one of these for free when I upgrade on the contract I'm on and I'm looking for more than the usual reviews you find online that all sound the same.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

BlindSite posted:

Anyone have any experience with the LG Renoir I can get one of these for free when I upgrade on the contract I'm on and I'm looking for more than the usual reviews you find online that all sound the same.
It doesn't really take "experience with" the phone to see that it's a slab dumbphone with a screen that's fairly large physically but pretty low rez at 240x400. The camera looks decent, but the device really won't ever be anything more than it is when you buy ("buy") it. No lens-cover on the cam is a bit of a downer, but fairly common on these devices for some reason.

Is that what you're looking for in a phone? What country and carrier are you on?

How much would it set you back to get the unapologetically-badass Samsung i8910 Omnia HD instead? It also packs an 8MP camera, but brings HD video recording to the table too -- along with a giant high-re OLED capacitive touchscreen and a legitimate OS in Symbian.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kalibar posted:

It doesn't really take "experience with" the phone to see that it's a slab dumbphone with a screen that's fairly large physically but pretty low rez at 240x400. The camera looks decent, but the device really won't ever be anything more than it is when you buy ("buy") it. No lens-cover on the cam is a bit of a downer, but fairly common on these devices for some reason.

Is that what you're looking for in a phone? What country and carrier are you on?

How much would it set you back to get the unapologetically-badass Samsung i8910 Omnia HD instead? It also packs an 8MP camera, but brings HD video recording to the table too -- along with a giant high-re OLED capacitive touchscreen and a legitimate OS in Symbian.

I'm with 3 Mobile in Australia and plan to reup on the $29 dollar cap I've been on for a while since I've very rarely gone over and all my friends / family are with three giving me cheap and free calls to just about everyone I call anyway.

Here's a link to the phones available: http://store.three.com.au/mobilesLanding.aspx?cap=29&campId=3

I don't mind spending a bit extra per month for a better handset my contract runs out next week, so there's no big rush, just looking for opinions on what's available.

I'm not huge into the internet features or applications but I do like the idea of a good quality screen and good camera functionality.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

That's pretty cute that they're still selling the Nokia N91 over four years later. A handful of crazed purists claim that it still offers the best audio fidelity of any phone on the market. :)

I don't necessarily want to oversell you on the importance of a smartphone, but people tend to end up unsatisfied with dumbphones purchases when a few months down the road they invariably want to install a program to do some specific task, or to "somehow" extend their device's functionality... only to discover that it's not possible because they bought a dumbphone.

Is this going to be you? If you can confidently say that it won't be, then get the dumbphone with the good camera and be happy with your decision.

Alternately for a good balance between smarts and camera quality (and to stick within your carrier's stock selection), look at the Nokia N85. Great 5MP camera with Zeiss optics and autofocus, legitimate OS, headphone jack, highly attractive (but low resolution) AMOLED screen.

Do you have an aversion to getting an unlocked phone? You can always sell the free phone your carrier gives you to defray costs of an unlocked phone; that's the beauty of GSM/UMTS, and is what many people do.

What are you actually looking for in a phone?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It has to have a good camera because I don't like to carry a whole bunch of stuff with me and having a phone with a good camera means less stuff to take care of when out with mates or at a concert etc.

I also really need it to have decent audio since I carry a lot of music on my current phone.

The N85 seems like a pretty good goer, I could feasibly have the money since i've saved a fair bit in the past few months to outright by a handset and then as you mentioned sell whatever I get for free, the N85 looks pretty decent though.

Thanks for the advice so far.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Going on a short week long trip (in the US) and I need to pick up a temporary cell phone - I've never used one of these before. Is it as simple as hitting my local bestbuy and grabbing one off the rack, or do I need to buy a minutes card, or something else?

Any whammies I should watch out for?

Wackle
Oct 28, 2006
Title Text?
Cingular

Contract renewed a year ago (i don't get the contract renewal discount :( )

<300 bux

I currently have a broken motorola Q. I bought it for the keyboard and its ability to play music, and that's basically all i enjoy from it. Its too large and i call people in my pocket or i press button combinations that make it talk to me and it gets awkward sometimes. I have an insurance plan on it, but i don't want to pay 50 dollars to get a refurb of a phone i don't like.

I'm looking for a sliding phone to keep from calling people and to save space. I've been looking at the Pantec Matrix and the LG Xenon.

I mainly want easy texting on a small phone. Playing music is a plus. Also i'd like a sturdier phone, as my Q's keyboard ceases to function after getting only a drop or two of water on it.

Arianna
Aug 23, 2008
Country/Provider: Canada/Telus

Current contract status: prepaid

Budget (phone/plan): super cheap, not wanting to spend more than $25/mo Canadian

Features I know I want: unlimited local evening/weekends.

I'm really not very knowledgeable at this whole cellphone thing. I've been using a crappy probably 8 year old phone prepaid for the last little while, but that situation is becoming fairly untenable as the phone is dying and Telus actual plans seem pretty expensive.

I've been looking at Koodo because what I want is pretty basic. The plan I'm looking at (its a custom plan) is 22.60/month (taxes all in, no service fees) for 50 daytime minutes, 50 outgoing texts, unlimited incoming text, and unlimited local evening/weekend. For those unfamiliar with Koodo, it doesn't come with a phone per se, and there is no contract therefore no cancellation fees, but the phone itself is slowly paid off by using it, so if I canceled the plan I'd have to pay off the phone. The phone I'm looking at is the Samsung U410 because it's the cheapest one they offer and I really am not looking for anything more advanced than being able to make a call or two.

Does anyone have any experience with Koodo? Is there a reason it is so cheap? And is that phone going to survive a few years of use?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I dropped my SE580i and the camera no longer work, worse, the phone locks up if you hit the camera button.

Carrier t-mobile, family plan

features I want:
gets good reception
needs to be loud, I have a hearing defect, speaker is a plus
good camera
easy to text
very good battery life
occasionally I use the calendar or alarm
not interested in Blackberry because I don't want to pay for a separate plan
like to stay around $200 new or used

any recommendations

Texibus
May 18, 2008
- USA/ Sprint

- 4 months left on both of our contracts

- We're just trying to get it as cheap as we can, but no real budget, under 250 a month. We need 7 lines atleast maybe not all on the same contract.

-Features: Would like free weekends and free on the network, we've got problems with overages.

We currently don't have any text messaging with our plan and will be needing that function. Aside from phone minutes and texting we won't require anything else. We currently use about 3000 anytime minutes and that's really tough to swing, like I said we have overages with free nights and weekends on the sprint plan. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
My family's getting at the end of our contract, and I suggested that we should shop around before we automatically renew the contract. I don’t know much (if anything at all) about phones, but it seemed like the smart thing to do. I could use some help in picking out new phones/plans.

Country/Provider: North Carolina, USA. Currently on Sprint.
Current contract status: Expires in June. New stuff can wait a bit, maybe August or so?
Budget: About $115 for 4 phones. Only two of these actually get any use at all, the other two are my parents, and they’re not as tech-savvy as me and my sibling are.
Features I know/Want: QWERTY keyboard. Decent camera, speakerphone if possible. Picture texting would be really nice. If any internet/GPS can be found for a nice price, that would be very sweet. AIM/Twitter/Google Maps/Pandora, the usual internet stuff. Considering we have 2 Samsung M610s and 2 M500s, anything is an improvement?

Right now we have:
Sprint PCS Fair & Flexible Plan (800 minutes)
Adjustable Anytime Minutes
Nationwide Long Distance Included
Unlimited Night & Weekend Mins. Included
Caller ID, Call Waiting
Three-way Calling
Voicemail
Unlimited Sprint Mobile to MobileIncluded
Cellular Call DetailIncluded
F&F America Roaming Plan $5$5.00
Messaging - 1000$10.00
Nights and weekends starting at 9pmIncluded
Unl Shared Nights/Weekends 7pm$5.00

I have no idea where to start looking...

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

wormil posted:

I dropped my SE580i and the camera no longer work, worse, the phone locks up if you hit the camera button.

Carrier t-mobile, family plan

features I want:
gets good reception
needs to be loud, I have a hearing defect, speaker is a plus
good camera
easy to text
very good battery life
occasionally I use the calendar or alarm
not interested in Blackberry because I don't want to pay for a separate plan
like to stay around $200 new or used

any recommendations

Get the Nokia E63. The camera is bad but it's a good phone otherwise. You don't have to pay for a data plan and you have Wi-Fi so you could access the Internet (within Wi-Fi.) It's $150 on Amazon right now.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Arianna posted:

Country/Provider: Canada/Telus

Current contract status: prepaid

Budget (phone/plan): super cheap, not wanting to spend more than $25/mo Canadian

Features I know I want: unlimited local evening/weekends.

I'm really not very knowledgeable at this whole cellphone thing. I've been using a crappy probably 8 year old phone prepaid for the last little while, but that situation is becoming fairly untenable as the phone is dying and Telus actual plans seem pretty expensive.

I've been looking at Koodo because what I want is pretty basic. The plan I'm looking at (its a custom plan) is 22.60/month (taxes all in, no service fees) for 50 daytime minutes, 50 outgoing texts, unlimited incoming text, and unlimited local evening/weekend. For those unfamiliar with Koodo, it doesn't come with a phone per se, and there is no contract therefore no cancellation fees, but the phone itself is slowly paid off by using it, so if I canceled the plan I'd have to pay off the phone. The phone I'm looking at is the Samsung U410 because it's the cheapest one they offer and I really am not looking for anything more advanced than being able to make a call or two.

Does anyone have any experience with Koodo? Is there a reason it is so cheap? And is that phone going to survive a few years of use?

Go with 7-11s speak out wireless. It's by far the best prepaid service I've found and top ups last a year (besides the $15 top up, just go for a $25+ one) It's on the rogers network so you can use roger locked phones (or so i've heard) but I got a unlocked nokia e51 and use that. The only bitch is you gotta buy a phone from 7-11 because they don't sell only the SIM cards. It can also be a bitch if you don't live near a 7-11. But I like it way better than paying $20 a month for a crappy contract when I only use my phone for calls once every 2 months and the texts on 7-11 is cheap as far as canadian pay as you go goes.

edit: If you wanna wait a few days for the June promotion you can go for that and be good for a year. http://speakout7eleven.ca/assets/images/june09promo/monthly_promo_pop.jpg Altough you gotta buy a $100 airtime card which might too much for you.

Tokit fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 31, 2009

Arianna
Aug 23, 2008

Tokit posted:

Go with 7-11s speak out wireless. It's by far the best prepaid service I've found and top ups last a year (besides the $15 top up, just go for a $25+ one) It's on the rogers network so you can use roger locked phones (or so i've heard) but I got a unlocked nokia e51 and use that. The only bitch is you gotta buy a phone from 7-11 because they don't sell only the SIM cards. It can also be a bitch if you don't live near a 7-11. But I like it way better than paying $20 a month for a crappy contract when I only use my phone for calls once every 2 months and the texts on 7-11 is cheap as far as canadian pay as you go goes.

edit: If you wanna wait a few days for the June promotion you can go for that and be good for a year. http://speakout7eleven.ca/assets/images/june09promo/monthly_promo_pop.jpg Altough you gotta buy a $100 airtime card which might too much for you.

I live kind of sort of near a 7-11 but I don't think I've ever been in there. I'll have to check that out for sure. The main reason I was looking at Koodo was that it seems to be a decent middle ground where there isn't a contract, but they still give you a phone without making you pay for it upfront, but those phones you linked would be pretty cheap and if the $100 airtime card lasts a year, that's pretty excellent.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Phone/Service Recommendation:

# Country/Provider: USA/no preference

# Current contract status: none

# Budget (phone/plan): Unknown (I do not have a fixed limitation on budget, but I would like to get a decent deal for the features I require)

# Features I know I want:
Voice clarity, POP3 email, Instant Messaging (Yahoo/AIM), SSH client.
- I will make/receive very few phone calls.
- I will need to have the phone check Yahoo IM/AIM at all times, and notify me of new messages.
- I will need the phone to check three POP3 email accounts at all times, and notify me of new messages, if possible.

(I have no need for cameras, MP3, video, GPS, web browsing, editing documents, etc.
This will be a voice/email/IM business phone)

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Captain Pike posted:

Phone/Service Recommendation:

# Country/Provider: USA/no preference

# Current contract status: none

# Budget (phone/plan): Unknown (I do not have a fixed limitation on budget, but I would like to get a decent deal for the features I require)

# Features I know I want:
Voice clarity, POP3 email, Instant Messaging (Yahoo/AIM), SSH client.
- I will make/receive very few phone calls.
- I will need to have the phone check Yahoo IM/AIM at all times, and notify me of new messages.
- I will need the phone to check three POP3 email accounts at all times, and notify me of new messages, if possible.

(I have no need for cameras, MP3, video, GPS, web browsing, editing documents, etc.
This will be a voice/email/IM business phone)

Sprint EPRP for $60 which includes unlimited data and unlimited texts with 600 minutes IIRC. Check the Sprint thread for more info on EPRP. Then get a Pre when it comes out. SSH should be coming soon for the Pre. If you're impatient on the SSH client and you're willing to deal with the terrible Windows Mobile, get the Touch Pro. WM can do everything you throw at it but instability is its major problems.

E: Made some changes.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 2, 2009