Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MrKatharsis posted:

I have roadside assistance from Riders of Kawasaki. It's $40/year, and the tows are 100 miles, no charge. I've used them several times and they are pretty drat good. You don't even need a Kawasaki motorcycle to sign up.

Also, you get into the members-only Kawi tent the big bike shows, where they have free coffee, bottled water and cookies.

Their website says up to $250 of towning coverage, is that per incident or yearly total? How far can that get you? and if per incident how many incidents are allowed? (I should probably just call)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Z3n posted:

Where do you live? Me and the g/f were talking about this when we were out in Denver, where I saw a suprising number of full face helmets and riders in a decent amount of gear. It seems like anyone who would be wearing a skullcap out here is going without a helmet out there, but there was still a suprising number of people riding with a decent amount of gear.

Smack dab in the middle of California. Merced, if you know the area.

There were a couple of guys last year riding in full gear, one even had a helmet with a bright orange mohawk but I haven't seen them this year.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

blugu64 posted:

Their website says up to $250 of towning coverage, is that per incident or yearly total? How far can that get you? and if per incident how many incidents are allowed? (I should probably just call)

I'm pretty sure it's per-instance, as I've gotten two tows from them (dead battery and a crash). I asked them if I should start paying extra in case it happens again, and they said no.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chairon posted:

Smack dab in the middle of California. Merced, if you know the area.

There were a couple of guys last year riding in full gear, one even had a helmet with a bright orange mohawk but I haven't seen them this year.

Where are you riding? One of my mentors is out there, and if you head up to the coulterville canyons you'll see a fair number of guys geared properly.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm an AMA "Champion" member, which was $39 for a year. It also included roadside assistance and towing for the year. I get 5 free service calls, and I've used them once already. My tank had rust, varnish and sediment in it, unbeknownst to me, from the PO letting it sit for a year+ without stabilizer. The first time I went to use the Reserve inlet after running low on fuel, it sucked in a bunch of poo poo and clogged up the carbs and the inlet.

I first called AMA for gas, thinking that was my problem. My phone died after giving all of my info, but I was in the LA Zoo parking lot. Anyone with half a brain could have circled the lot once or twice, and easily seen the yellow EX250 parked at the perimeter, with the guy in day-glo yellow gear standing next to it. Either way, no one ever showed up with gas. I was able to send a brief, cryptic message to my girlfriend, she arrived about 3 hours into my ordeal, and we went to get some gas. Upon finding that this was not the problem, I called on her phone for a tow. The truck got there within about 20 minutes.

So anyway, AMA is 1/2 with me. The $39/year including Roadside is with online signup and auto-renewal only. It covers 5 dispatched service calls a year, towing up to 35 miles. If you plan on being in the middle of nowhere on a trip, I might go with a service that will tow a little further.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007

Z3n posted:

Where are you riding? One of my mentors is out there, and if you head up to the coulterville canyons you'll see a fair number of guys geared properly.

Not riding yet, the bike still needs some work(And just found out the battery is kaput. Joy.) this is just what I see driving around in town and on 99. Although I did see TWO full face helmets today! The one with the moped even had a jacket.

I also went to the DMV today. $116 to register it, because the previous owner didn't renew it. And I get to do it again in July.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I wanted to go for a ride to take advantage of the holiday today & clear blue sky, but got out of the house later than I wanted, so I just stayed in town and found a little road down near the Humber River that goes through a park. Just cruising along at 25 kph, and was passing some family with their little kids on these small bicycles, so I looked over and gave 'em a big goofy wave. :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

so I looked over and gave 'em a big goofy wave. :)

I do this from time to time when the moment is right. Maybe some kids or some old person. Yesterday I waved to an ancient man walking his dog. When I waved he waved back with his crutch. Cool, but reminded me of the trip a few weeks ago when I did the same to a lady who was on my side of the road. She waved back in the same manner, lifting her crutch. loving thing missed my head by inches.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

dietcokefiend posted:

On this note if I already have AAA for my car and stuff, does that also work for the motorcycle or is that separate coverage?

The AAA +RV plan will cover motorcycles.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

`Nemesis posted:

The AAA +RV plan will cover motorcycles.

drat, guess it will be cheaper to go with that Kawasaki roadside plan.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

dietcokefiend posted:

drat, guess it will be cheaper to go with that Kawasaki roadside plan.

Why not go AMA? Their roadside is nice but some of the other things they do are also nice. Discounts on bike bandit and a few other places and an insurance reduction. My AMA paid for itself, I got $30 of my insurance and a $10 gift card to bike bandit.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Why not go AMA? Their roadside is nice but some of the other things they do are also nice. Discounts on bike bandit and a few other places and an insurance reduction. My AMA paid for itself, I got $30 of my insurance and a $10 gift card to bike bandit.

I forgot to mention these points. The discount is definitely nice if you order from Bike Bandit often.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
$72 for a hunk of plastic? I believe Mr J-B Weld has something to say about that.

Man waiting for things sucks. The repair manual isn't here yet(One day shipping my rear end) and I have to wait until Saturday for my o-rings. I'm sure mirrors are going to be really drat expensive if I buy new too. The ones it has right now, no matter where they are, just give me a nice view of me. And while I am a sexy man, there are more important things to be looking at on a bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Woop! Three weeks from now I'll be doing a proof-of-concept run to see if I can make it through Europe in a tent.

Shuffled some days off from work around and got three days to ride on. Gonna go buy a tent soon. They come with fully equipped bathrooms these days right?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Ola posted:

Woop! Three weeks from now I'll be doing a proof-of-concept run to see if I can make it through Europe in a tent.

Shuffled some days off from work around and got three days to ride on. Gonna go buy a tent soon. They come with fully equipped bathrooms these days right?

:(:arghfist:

What is the job market like there right now?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Ola posted:

Stop posting your beautiful vistas. :mad: It killing me knowing I'm going to ride home from work tonight on a straight, flat farm road

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Norway, I found this yesterday: Lysebotn Road

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The job market is great if you can work in the oil industry, health care, cleaning or you have exceptional IT skills. Otherwise bad I suppose.

Chris Knight, I went down that road last summer. :) I fact, I had to double check that those pics weren't nicked from mine. Which was dumb, since they are taken from a viewing balcony where about six million pics gets taken every summer.

Posted a thread which is in the archives, identical report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407819 (pimpin this again...)

Also, that site is wrong. It isn't dangerous at all unless you drive dangerously!

That bridge looking thing in the pic below the map is the same as they have in Grand Canyon I think. The platform curves down at the end so it looks like you're on top of a wooden waterfall. It's going to be interesting to check it out, hope I don't develop instant fear of heights.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Ola posted:

That bridge looking thing in the pic below the map is the same as they have in Grand Canyon I think. The platform curves down at the end so it looks like you're on top of a wooden waterfall. It's going to be interesting to check it out, hope I don't develop instant fear of heights.
I was wondering what the hell was up with that thing.. it looks like a horribly splintery waterslide.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

quote:

My bike was running like crap on my way home from work so I stopped at a gas station to get some NOS. I poured in 2 bottles and rode it home. Well I don't think it helped because it ran even worse on the way home and now it won't start. Any ideas?

Turns out the idiot put NOS energy drink in his gixxer instead of the fuel additive.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

My club is putting on the 2 rounds of the AMA national trials championship this year. This is the big one, the winners of go to europe to compete in Trials des Nations in the FIM series.
Anyway, we need some people to check (score). People with no experience are OK, but need to speak up soon so we can train ya'll. Any interest? Should I make my own thread?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Totally unrelated, but are most trials bikes still 2-strokes these days, or are they moving more to 4-strokes as well?

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.
I saw the most :psyduck: thing a couple days ago. I was driving to the store and saw a guy on a Vespa wearing a 3/4 helmet coming the other direction. Right as we passed one another something (I'm assuming wind) pushed the helmet up his head until the chinstrap was nearly in his eyes.

Seriously people, buy a helmet that fits! And then make sure that it's actually attached to your head when you ride.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The NonBornKing posted:

Seriously people, buy a helmet that fits! And then make sure that it's actually attached to your head when you ride.

My buddy takes the time to put on his properly sized full face helmet, and then doesn't do up the strap. I don't get it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ranathari posted:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

Turns out the idiot put NOS energy drink in his gixxer instead of the fuel additive.
That can't possibly be real.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Endless Mike posted:

That can't possibly be real.

It takes a certain kind of gullible to fall for this kind of dumbass troll.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

The kind that posts at gixxer.com?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like how the thread also devolves into guys who think that MORE OCTANE = HORSEPOWER, and another dude who is convinced that "pouring octane" into your tank will clean your engine?

God those people are stupid.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Totally unrelated, but are most trials bikes still 2-strokes these days, or are they moving more to 4-strokes as well?

I've only ever seen a single person ride a 4 stroke. It was from Scorpa with a modified WR250 engine in it, and that person was a dealer with a demo bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VTNewb posted:

Anyway, we need some people to check (score). People with no experience are OK, but need to speak up soon so we can train ya'll. Any interest? Should I make my own thread?

Aww, if I was closer, I'd totally be down for that :(

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

It's the gixxer forums, it's easy to believe one of them would actually do that.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

ranathari posted:

It's the gixxer forums, it's easy to believe one of them would actually do that.

Forums stupidity notwithstanding someone with over 2k posts logged would probably not pour two full bottles of something he got out of a chilled drink refrigerator that say "ENERGY DRINK" in giant letters into his tank. But, yes, it's easy to believe if you're gullible and have that GBS inclination to desperately want to take anything ridiculous you read on the internet as gospel. The least surprising thing is that people who read gixxer forums would fall for it. :)

Pretty amazed at how easy it is to troll there, though. Although a few people picked up in it right away.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Forums stupidity notwithstanding someone with over 2k posts logged would probably not pour two full bottles of something he got out of a chilled drink refrigerator that say "ENERGY DRINK" in giant letters into his tank. But, yes, it's easy to believe if you're gullible and have that GBS inclination to desperately want to take anything ridiculous you read on the internet as gospel. The least surprising thing is that people who read gixxer forums would fall for it. :)

Pretty amazed at how easy it is to troll there, though. Although a few people picked up in it right away.

I'm not saying I believe it straight off the bat, but I have seen some pretty god drat stupid people who ride motorcycles. The internet likes to believe that anyone that stupid is just trolling or whatever, but there really are terminally stupid people out there.

Hell, look at the linked kickstand thread a couple of pages deep...where the guy freaks out because of the kickstand button. :xd:

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

I'm not saying I believe it straight off the bat, but I have seen some pretty god drat stupid people who ride motorcycles.

Hell, look at the linked kickstand thread a couple of pages deep...where the guy freaks out because of the kickstand button. :xd:

Hahahaha. There are dumbass people mos def. This just kind of tips the scale into troll territory. If it didn't say ENERGY DRINK in gargantuan letters on the bottle and wasn't probably delivered cold it might be believable. I'm not trying to make this thread devolve into non-motorcycle related discussion, though, and I probably have a more finely tuned troll detector than most having done my fair share of trolling myself. Party on, Wayne.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Hahahaha. There are dumbass people mos def. This just kind of tips the scale into troll territory. If it didn't say ENERGY DRINK in gargantuan letters on the bottle and wasn't probably delivered cold it might be believable. I'm not trying to make this thread devolve into non-motorcycle related discussion, though, and I probably have a more finely tuned troll detector than most having done my fair share of trolling myself. Party on, Wayne.

He claimed in the thread that it was in a just in a box at the end of an aisle and he grabbed a couple of cans.

If your only exposure to "2ning" is the fast and furious, I could see it happening. Or just go hang out at a bike night, there are plenty of people there that I could see doing something retarded like this.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

gixxer dude posted:

There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

If it didn't say ENERGY DRINK in gargantuan letters on the bottle and wasn't probably delivered cold it might be believable...

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Forums stupidity notwithstanding someone with over 2k posts logged would probably not pour two full bottles of something he got out of a chilled drink refrigerator that say "ENERGY DRINK" in giant letters into his tank.

:confused:

The energy drink in gas tank shennanigans isn't anything I'd put past any GSX-R owner I personally know, although they'd probably rather spend their money on a sweet new exhaust can, brah.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Skier posted:

:confused:

The energy drink in gas tank shennanigans isn't anything I'd put past any GSX-R owner I personally know, although they'd probably rather spend their money on a sweet new exhaust can, brah.

I still sincerely hope he just put a lot of thought into it. Regardless of how stupid you are why would you immediately buy two bottles and not even read enough past the word NOS to see ENERGY DRINK. I think I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and maintain what little faith I have in humanity, thanks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What the hell are these bikes?

United Motors V2C 650S

Pretty much all I can find is marketing fluff. Anyone heard of these guys? Know anything about them? There is a dealership nearby and they look drat nice.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
chinese. run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

wormil posted:

What the hell are these bikes?

Pretty much all I can find is marketing fluff. Anyone heard of these guys? Know anything about them? There is a dealership nearby and they look drat nice.

Wow thats really weird because I just saw one of these on the street at lunch and couldn't figure out what the hell it was.

Turns out its made by Hyosung, a Korean bike. I have no idea on the build/ride quality.