Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
h_double
Jul 27, 2001

ProdigalSon posted:

one more vote for the firebox, it's an outstanding soundcard. plus if you use it on osx it's firewire powered (whereas on PC's requires a power brick).

That's true of PC laptops, though desktop PCs can run firewire off of bus power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Spy posted:

So I am looking into making some techno music/beats via a synthesizer just for fun and looking for something to just play around with. First thought after watching some videos was to pick up a Korg Kaossilator as I am not at all familiar with playing a piano. While I was in the local guitar shop, a salesguy directed me over to the NI Maschine if I wanted to make some music. It seemed pretty intuitive to use, but I didn't pull the trigger (600 is about my max and the Maschine was 600).

Am I on the wrong path for a newbie getting into this? Do I go with something like the Kaossilator or something very robust like the Maschine? Or do I look at something completely different?

i would get some software first. try ableton. dont get hardware for a while, i really think most of the midi stuff(read: maschine) will be worth 10% of its original value and be obsolete in a few years so unless you KNOW you need it, i think it could be a huge waste. if you do want hardware, start with the classic old cheap poo poo. music production gear is very confusing at first and its very hard to know what you really want.

just my opinion tho.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

oredun posted:

i would get some software first. try ableton. dont get hardware for a while, i really think most of the midi stuff(read: maschine) will be worth 10% of its original value and be obsolete in a few years so unless you KNOW you need it, i think it could be a huge waste. if you do want hardware, start with the classic old cheap poo poo. music production gear is very confusing at first and its very hard to know what you really want.

just my opinion tho.

This is the worst. What kind of hardware are you using that loses 90% of it's value in a few years? So you're telling me that I can get an "obsolete" Virus for $150 on the street?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Kai was taken posted:

This is the worst. What kind of hardware are you using that loses 90% of it's value in a few years? So you're telling me that I can get an "obsolete" Virus for $150 on the street?

Someone name me a piece of new midi hardware that loses 90 percent of its value? I am really interested in knowing the answer to this.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Used guitar strings

no wait, Midi cables

breaks
May 12, 2001

Kai was taken posted:

He chose his words poorly but I think it's a fair point that hardware like Maschine that's tied to software and basically useless without it isn't likely to hold its value as well as hardware synths or even generic MIDI controllers do.

On the other hand, the Korg Legacy Collection has got to be close to 5 years old now and the mini-MS-20 controller from that still sells for $200-$300 without the plugins, so it has lost little to no value (not accounting for inflation).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Spy posted:

So I am looking into making some techno music/beats via a synthesizer just for fun and looking for something to just play around with.
FL Studio, controller keyboard, basic PCI soundcard. 600 bucks gets you all of this.

quote:

First thought after watching some videos was to pick up a Korg Kaossilator
Pretty bad choice, since it doesn't have MIDI and rather anemic recording options, so you're going to get bored quickly with it.

quote:

a salesguy directed me over to the NI Maschine
Of course, the newest, biggest most badass product gets them the most commission.

What he didn't say was that Maschine didn't come with the rest of the DAW, or with an audio interface, since it's just a controller.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I say you get a decent DAW, no interface, and a cheap controller to try it and see if you even like it, first. Get something like an Axiom with pads/keys all-in-one so you don't have to get a separate keyboard/drum pads.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
I just bought a Novation ReMOTE 25 SL and it's pretty bitchin' for my first-ever controller, but it's pretty lacking without the Automapping software and none of Novation's downloads seem to work on my XP laptop. The older installer that was on the CD didn't even recognize Reason (some bullshit error message saying "No version of Reason 3 or higher detected" or something even though this isn't true). Does anybody else have this problem with the Automap software? Might it be specific to having Reason 4 over 3?

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

my first thing that's longer than four measures.

But where do I go from here? Do I key change and transition to a different section, or do I use the old "techno" standby and just add another hi-hat or something every 8 bars? Is the unison on the TB101 bass too cheesy?

I could use the two sections as a "verse/chorus" pair but my entire song would have the same chord progression the whole way through and that's terrible. I guess I could get some female vocals and make them sound like they're coming out of a walkie talkie and get away with it.

Bonus points if anyone knows where I sampled the "clap" from.

also I'm working in Ableton.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 19, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I got a new one going on!
Had the opener for my ep in mind for this one. Was in a pretty good mood when I started it so I just kicked back and let it flow - sounds a little different to the others because of this but I dont think it's too far off. The sun was shining and I wanted a grooove :3

Click here to listen to summersong.mp3
Remember: Do not change the volume control on the web player, it's broken.

Now for feedback stuff! I'm thinking it needs some more work. But do I either:
a) chop it up quite a bit and add some major variation/changes, or
b) keep it similar but try to layer up some more sounds to keep the same feel but add more intrest?

tia :)

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

cubicle gangster posted:

Had the opener for my ep in mind for this one. Was in a pretty good mood when I started it so I just kicked back and let it flow - sounds a little different to the others because of this but I dont think it's too far off. The sun was shining and I wanted a grooove :3

b) keep it similar but try to layer up some more sounds to keep the same feel but add more intrest?

drat, I think this is the best thing you've posted so far. Really great progression, especially in the beginning.

I would add a little more variation to the latter part of the song. Some of the frequency automations sound a little bit off, but most of them sound great.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Mannex posted:

my first thing that's longer than four measures.

But where do I go from here? Do I key change and transition to a different section, or do I use the old "techno" standby and just add another hi-hat or something every 8 bars? Is the unison on the TB101 bass too cheesy?

I could use the two sections as a "verse/chorus" pair but my entire song would have the same chord progression the whole way through and that's terrible. I guess I could get some female vocals and make them sound like they're coming out of a walkie talkie and get away with it.

Bonus points if anyone knows where I sampled the "clap" from.

also I'm working in Ableton.

I think it needs a main lead to carry on the melody.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

cubicle gangster posted:

I like this, it's got some kind of early 90's UK rave vibe. Not saying it sounds like old school UK hardcore or acid or anything, it's just that I picture people dancing to this in a dark club.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
This is a test I've been toying around with lately:

I'd like to hear some feedback about the track.

My question is... where to go for, now? Add a female vocal? change the bassline for the chorus? How to do a breakdown for a song like this? Hmmm, please help!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

midi stuff? maschine? does that look like virus ti? or even synthesizer?

Rkelly posted:

Someone name me a piece of new midi hardware that loses 90 percent of its value? I am really interested in knowing the answer to this.

ok, goto ebay type in "midi controller" and there ya go. maybe i was off a little but there is tons of a couple of year old midi controllers on ebay for no more than 50% of their original price.

also, just about any behringer piece loses value like that. so, maybe think a bit before you post a sarcastic post.

oredun fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 20, 2009

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

KaosPV posted:

This is a test I've been toying around with lately:

I'd like to hear some feedback about the track.

My question is... where to go for, now? Add a female vocal? change the bassline for the chorus? How to do a breakdown for a song like this? Hmmm, please help!

This is awesome. The only thing I can think of is to cut out a few instruments and let the track "cool off" for a little bit before going back into it. I was listening to a popular Funki Porcini track earlier and he kept the same progression through the whole thing. :(

Mannex fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 20, 2009

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
What kind of computers are everyone using to make tracks. I'm asking because Im using a 2.66ghz single core with 2 gig ram, which isnt top of the line by any means, but my cpu just hit 325% while trying to play back a tune that has 14 tracks in it. No vsts. This cant be right. I can afford another computer :(

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What's your audio interface?

325% is pretty ridiculous though, see if increasing the buffer size can do the job for you.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
I have a DJi/o that I use for cueing with traktor, but for making tracks in Ableton it gives worse performance than my onboard soundcard so I just use that. My buffer size is maxed, 1024 samples.

Its basically I can get the main skeleton of a tune done, but anything after that, I have to make changes blind, render to audio, have a listen to that, go back and make changes blind, etc. because it literally cant handle playback at all. Its very frustrating.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
KaosPV - thats good to know, because i'm aiming for the uk club scene. haha. Thanks :)
Maguro - Thanks! I've softened out some the harsher synth automation, sounds much better now. It was alright on my speakers but when I listened on headphones it got really bad.

I've got a 2.4ghz dual core and 2gb ram laptop, running through a xone3d.

The track I just posted doesnt even hit 75% cpu usage, and it's got 14 vst tracks, 22 in total.
It's also got 6 reverbs, a compressor on most tracks and some basic mastering tools, among other things. I hate working with a track that stutters and needs a shitload of babysitting, throws me right out.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 20, 2009

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Terrible Horse posted:

I have a DJi/o that I use for cueing with traktor, but for making tracks in Ableton it gives worse performance than my onboard soundcard so I just use that. My buffer size is maxed, 1024 samples.

Its basically I can get the main skeleton of a tune done, but anything after that, I have to make changes blind, render to audio, have a listen to that, go back and make changes blind, etc. because it literally cant handle playback at all. Its very frustrating.

you'd be alot better off buying an external interface

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

cubicle gangster posted:

Dig deeper, I know you can do alot better.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

oredun posted:

ok, goto ebay type in "midi controller" and there ya go. maybe i was off a little but there is tons of a couple of year old midi controllers on ebay for no more than 50% of their original price.

also, just about any behringer piece loses value like that. so, maybe think a bit before you post a sarcastic post.

10 percent is not the same as 50 percent. I was being sarcastic because you were making up random rear end percentages. I know lots of behringer stuff that keeps value. Midiverb, Fcb1010, compressor that rules, vamp pro racks, . If behringer stuff was resold at 10 percent value, then that poo poo would be free. Again, I can think of no musical gear that sells for 10 percent of its price not fifty. Maybe we should both think before we post. Now give me a hug. :420:

oredun posted:

Whats does this part of your post even mean?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

you'd be alot better off buying an external interface

the i/o is an external interface, although its pretty much bottom of the barrel.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Terrible Horse posted:

What kind of computers are everyone using to make tracks. I'm asking because Im using a 2.66ghz single core with 2 gig ram, which isnt top of the line by any means, but my cpu just hit 325% while trying to play back a tune that has 14 tracks in it. No vsts. This cant be right. I can afford another computer :(

My old computer was a 1.83 GHZ Core Duo (not core 2) with 1.5 gigs of RAM and it was fine.

My guess is your computer runs lovely, or you've got some crazyass settings in your DAW.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Rkelly posted:

hug

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Mannex posted:

This is awesome. The only thing I can think of is to cut out a few instruments and let the track "cool off" for a little bit before going back into it. I was listening to a popular Funki Porcini track earlier and he kept the same progression through the whole thing. :(

Thank you very much. Lately I've felt like if the inspiration flow had dried up, so it's nice to hear someone likes some of my stuff!

Right now I'm quite busy so I can't work on it but as soon as I've got time I'll try your suggestion.

When I was working on this (like a month ago) I was trying to get it to show a lounge/deep house/acid jazz vibe which is stuff I'm re-listening a lot lately. Has any of you any suggestions on that kind of genres on Ableton? Good plugins, sample libraries, production techniques, anything would do.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Kaos - just had a chance to listen.
It's definatly got legs, I like whats there, just feels like it doesnt know where it's going if you know what I mean.
Only problem with the sound is that the synth sounds a bit cheap, I think it could do with some automation over the course of it and some effects to fatten up the sound.
I dont know if it's just me, but I kept expecting quite a deep beat to kick in over the top too - maybe worth looking into adding an extra layer of weighty drums to add the variation you're after.

Could also play with the automation a bit, chop out a defining element, strip it right down to the basic beat and kick in with a new major element, maybe even with the old one altered. Make a copy of your drum track with some echo/reverb on it for one shots too, lounge music tends to have quite a lot of stuff like that.

Cant help with the genre thing on synths though, everything I look for in sounds and drums is a bit on the dark/techno side...

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Can anyone name another free VST as awesome and polished as dBlue glitch? Just curious what people think.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
synth1, fish fillets, the entire kjaerhus classic collection, triangle II

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Crystal is way good enough to be commercial.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
I'm having an issue with Ableton and my M Audio Axiom 25. I'm not sure which one is causing the problem.

When using the live view, i used to always set clips to launch when I pressed a pressure pad. However, when I do this, in addition to the clip launching I hear a drum sound. This never used to happen with the old controller I had so I'm wondering if it's a setting in the Axiom that's screwed up. I have no drum instrument open in Ableton so I'm not even sure where it could be getting these sounds from. Any ideas?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

SkandalousPanda posted:

I'm having an issue with Ableton and my M Audio Axiom 25. I'm not sure which one is causing the problem.

When using the live view, i used to always set clips to launch when I pressed a pressure pad. However, when I do this, in addition to the clip launching I hear a drum sound. This never used to happen with the old controller I had so I'm wondering if it's a setting in the Axiom that's screwed up. I have no drum instrument open in Ableton so I'm not even sure where it could be getting these sounds from. Any ideas?

This should be impossible if you have no instruments in ableton and your using a midi controller. No other audio programs are open? This is funny as hell. I don't see how that could happen lol.

The only two ways this could happen are a track with drums does exist or another program is running? You leave reason going or something?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah you're messing up somewhere. The Axiom has no sounds itself so that's disqualified, it must be triggering something. Try messing around with a blank set and see what happens there. Also, solo each channel one by one and see if you can find where the drum's coming from.

stun runner fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 21, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Three Red Lights posted:

Can anyone name another free VST as awesome and polished as dBlue glitch? Just curious what people think.

http://rekkerd.org/bootsy-plug-ins/
PolyiBlit

breaks
May 12, 2001

I agree with the recommendations for polyiblit, Bootsy's stuff and the digitalfishphones plugins. The Schwa and Stillwell plugins also deserve an honorable mention. They aren't free per se but they are very inexpensive and have very generous demos (nag screen only).

I also disagree with a few things that have been mentioned. The Kjaerhus stuff is polished I guess, but also pretty bland. Synth1 is just bad, honestly.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 8, 2014

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

breaks posted:

I dont like Synth1's presets

fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
aight chall

im tryin to finish mixing these two songs for their release

is this poo poo too bassy?

(ps these are new versions of the songs)

• Locked thread