Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The only chinese company that does good work that I know of is Pistster Pro. I've yet to see a review of their new line of fullsize bikes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There is really only one place to hang out on GIXXER forums:

Crash forum hilarity/facepalm action

edit: Stay classy

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

wormil posted:

What the hell are these bikes?

United Motors V2C 650S

Pretty much all I can find is marketing fluff. Anyone heard of these guys? Know anything about them? There is a dealership nearby and they look drat nice.

It's the Hyosung cruiser...VM is like Maxxis for Chen Sheng.

And I'm doubling on the "run". It's a poo poo bike, I've had the chance to see one in person and the build quality is so horrible it's unreal. The dealership where I saw the bike had one in for repair, where Hyosung was willing to pay them to work on it, despite it not being a dealership for them, and after having one in the shop, the owner refused to carry them, despite massive incentives, because the bikes are so poorly constructed.

Spiffness, drat, last time I checked that subforum had gotten deleted. I'll check in for some schenfraude every so often.

quote:

not gonna lie im good at wheelies

:xd:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

wormil posted:

United Motors V2C 650S

Pretty much all I can find is marketing fluff. Anyone heard of these guys? Know anything about them? There is a dealership nearby and they look drat nice.

One of the bike magazines I subscribe to reviewed one of those and it was a pretty poor review. You could tell they were going out of their way to be nice instead of just ripping on the thing the whole article, but it was still fairly sad.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Spiffness posted:

There is really only one place to hang out on GIXXER forums:

Crash forum hilarity/facepalm action

edit: Stay classy

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?s=e31e39e7f9ed92a1ee31bbb05131fbd9&t=59198

Yea man gently caress that guy its not like you just crashed his bike from your stupidity or anything. gently caress him he should know it was an "accident". Ugh what a forum full of asshats.

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?s=e31e39e7f9ed92a1ee31bbb05131fbd9&t=63330

Hey lets speed in heavy stop and go traffic and ram the back of EMS trucks. AWesome

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea man gently caress that guy its not like you just crashed his bike from your stupidity or anything. gently caress him he should know it was an "accident". Ugh what a forum full of asshats.

Hey lets speed in heavy stop and go traffic and ram the back of EMS trucks. AWesome

My favorite part of that first thread is that he's like "Look, if my bud crashed my bike I wouldn't ask him to pay me back!"

Sure dude, tell me more. I'd like to race your bike :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

quote:

nothing would of happened if i was on my bike, just didn't 'know' his bike enough yet. my bike has new pads even bled brake fluid a week prior, his back brake was set up where even putting the slightest pressure on the level made it bite hard where has mine would definitely lock up easily but not until you really put some weight on it.

quote:

i didn't have enough room to stop. by back fishtailed so i clamped down on the front brake even harder. the back wheel came off the ground and i was doing a lame stopie. but that wasn't enough. i still slammed into a EMS SUV.

Seems like both were primarily rear brakers. I dont understand that poo poo. I know a guy who's been riding since the 70's who still thinks the best way to stop a bike is with the rear brake. :ughh:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

My favorite part of that first thread is that he's like "Look, if my bud crashed my bike I wouldn't ask him to pay me back!"

Sure dude, tell me more. I'd like to race your bike :allears:

Yea keeps a nagging voice in the back of my head about borrowing my bosses track bike for my first track day. He offered it up but I am not really sure what the hell I would do if I crashed it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Seems like both were primarily rear brakers. I dont understand that poo poo. I know a guy who's been riding since the 70's who still thinks the best way to stop a bike is with the rear brake. :ughh:

I'm not exactly sure how you crash like some of those guys describe too, unless you decide to lock the rear tire and then countersteer the bike into the ground. Which is, incidentally, how they tell you to crash a bike in the new racers school. Lock the rear, countersteer hard to one side, and try not to get caught up in it if it tumbles.

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea keeps a nagging voice in the back of my head about borrowing my bosses track bike for my first track day. He offered it up but I am not really sure what the hell I would do if I crashed it.

Well, if it's a trackbike...it's probably not going to be a huge deal if it's crashed, unless it's really setup. That's why you track trackbikes...no expensive fairings, just easily repaired fiberglass.

My last couple of crashes were expensive, but most of that was in gear costs. Under 500$ for the replacement parts for both of my accidents. Of course, I'm riding a bike that crashes well, and I don't have unobtanium ohlins forks or anything.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Well, if it's a trackbike...it's probably not going to be a huge deal if it's crashed, unless it's really setup. That's why you track trackbikes...no expensive fairings, just easily repaired fiberglass.

My last couple of crashes were expensive, but most of that was in gear costs. Under 500$ for the replacement parts for both of my accidents. Of course, I'm riding a bike that crashes well, and I don't have unobtanium ohlins forks or anything.

It was probably going to be an 08+ 250r or 500 for the class they race in. Worst case its not as expensive as crashing a car :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

It was probably going to be an 08+ 250r or 500 for the class they race in. Worst case its not as expensive as crashing a car :v:

Man, 4 stroke 250s are the biggest can of worms to open when it comes to trackday riding. They're alright for C group, but I would never want to ride a 250 in anything faster than that, too much speed differential, and you end up carrying speed in the reverse places from most C group riders, who are all straight line and no cornerspeed. It can be a little frustrating. I've got an EX500 with a built motor that i'll be taking out to the track soon, and I'm curious as to how that is going to stack up.

Flying Emu
Jan 20, 2006
*turns to face sunset, long, greasy hair flows softly in the wind*
After almost 1 1/2 years of riding the same bike, I just realized that I have a 6 speed, not a 5 speed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FlyingEmu posted:

After almost 1 1/2 years of riding the same bike, I just realized that I have a 6 speed, not a 5 speed.

Are you serious? Have you never been in 6th before, or were you just miscounting?

Either way :ughh:

Flying Emu
Jan 20, 2006
Miscounting. I came to realization today when I was in top gear and went from 55mph down to 20mph and I shifted down three times and thought that my RPM was ridiculously low for being in 2nd... and the epiphany occurred.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Have you been using Amsoil? If so it might have grown a 6th gear due to the nutritional additives.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 21, 2009

Flying Emu
Jan 20, 2006

Ola posted:

Have you been using Amsoil? If so it might have grown a 6th gear due to the nutritional additives.
Alas, no. Just synthetic Castrol.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The guy who I sold my CB750 to did the same thing. He called me up a couple of days after the sale and said "I thought this was a 5 speed, I think 5th gear is broken. When I'm driving it, I can only shift up 4 times".

I just said "Yeah, you start in first, then shift up 4 times, to make 5"

He was forgetting to count 1st. Yet again, :ughh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My Dad was really surprised when I told him my Honda had 6 gears. His main exposure was a 4 speed Triumph he co-owned years ago.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I still haven't quite got the count down on my EX250 yet... I'll be cruising through the park for instance, click through to 6th, and I'll still occasionally try for another upshift.

Its not my fault the thing is only doing ~45 MPH at like 4-5000 RPM in 6th.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
^^^
I'll do that with my 650r sometimes. I'll be doing like 65-70 on the highway and be at 5.5k so I try to shift up cause I can never remember if I have another gear or not by then.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I did that on the motorway the other day on the way to an interview. 70mph, about 7k rpm, tried to shift up. As far as I can remember, 6th is a smidge below that, so I reckon I tried to shift up about 5 times before I gave up and blamed my memory.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I learned on a 6 speed, and now I'm forever trying to upshift from 5th. :sigh:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm pretty sure if I had a 6speed the only thing that would change is that I'd be trying to click into 7th instead of 6th :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Krakkles posted:

I'm pretty sure if I had a 6speed the only thing that would change is that I'd be trying to click into 7th instead of 6th :)

Same here, I don't really count the gears, just keep going until the lever stops. I'll occasionally lift up to check when just cruising to make sure I'm not riding around in 5th gear wasting gas

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone near Columbus want a rightous trike?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1182953825.html

I also constantly try shifting into 7th while cruising. I just don't pay attention when shifting, which causes problems when I want to get into 2nd and don't know for sure that I'm not in 1st or 3rd instead.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have a gear indicator which I stupidly stare at like a Prius driver.

edit: at least it helped my see that my battery was dying

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Uthor posted:

I also constantly try shifting into 7th while cruising. I just don't pay attention when shifting, which causes problems when I want to get into 2nd and don't know for sure that I'm not in 1st or 3rd instead.
Years of driving stick and the fact that my bike doesn't have a tach help me out here. You get used to judging engine speed by sound.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

I learned on a 6 speed, and now I'm forever trying to upshift from 5th. :sigh:

I learned on a six speed too, and it took forever to get over that on my new bike. Eventually I just learned that ~4.5krpm = ~75mph in 5th and that's all I've got.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I dont' care what I'm driving, but I always seem to want to find one more gear up top. Be it a 6 speed motorcycle, 5 speed car, or 27 speed bicycle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never count gears really, I just keep shifting until I either run out of gears, or hit the appropriate speed at a reasonable RPM.

That being said, I always give myself one "just in case" upshift on the highway.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Phat_Albert posted:

I never count gears really, I just keep shifting until I either run out of gears, or hit the appropriate speed at a reasonable RPM.

That being said, I always give myself one "just in case" upshift on the highway.

I guess all of us super awesome experienced riders do this same thing then :c00l:

:c00l:

Nerobro posted:

I dont' care what I'm driving, but I always seem to want to find one more gear up top. Be it a 6 speed motorcycle, 5 speed car, or 27 speed bicycle.

me too, and I'm lucky on my VW transmissions that 5th gear is fairly easy to swap out, so I put extra tall 5th gears in both of my Sciroccos.

1st-Neeee 2nd-Neeee 3rd-Neee 4th-Neee 5th-NEooooooooooooo

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

I tried that one single time in my Corolla when I was still learning stick. Thank god for the lockout gate over reverse. :ohdear:

"Ok just upshift to 6th... It doesn't seem to want to goOOOOHHFUCK DON'T DO THAT"

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

My 87 Rebel 450 has an overdrive light so I just look down to see if I'm in 6th

:smug:

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

wormil posted:

A friend of mine has had one of these for a few years. He said he likes it just fine, though I don't know much about his riding habits. It is a nice looking bike though.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Nerobro posted:

One of these days I'll shift into 6th on my CB750 and it'll work.

It has too...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gr3y posted:

It has too...

the day that it finally does is the day that you really wish it hadn't

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gr3y posted:

It has too...

At least you can enjoy multiple neutral positions. :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
:rant: loving KIDS :argh:

So I rather foolishly left my bike out in my driveway last night, rather than nestled in the warm (and locked) confines of the garage, and at about 1:30, I hear this righteous crash. I jump up from bed, and that's when I notice that my bike's lying on the ground, a few metres from where it had been parked, and that some kid is running the opposite direction along the street. FUCKFUCKFUCK

Someone had already called the cops, because apparently these asshats had already been seen trying to break into cars, and wrecking random poo poo. The police showed up ridiculously fast, since this neighbourhood's usually a problem on Friday/Saturday night, with house parties and the like. By then, I'd already wheeled my bike into the garage to asses the damage - thankfully, it's a naked (well, with a cowling), so there was only a bit of scratching on the timing case, bar end, mirror, and front signal, in addition to the brake lever being slightly bent.

gently caress. That's the second time that my bike has been down, and neither has been at my hands.

tl; dr: If you don't want your bike stolen, own something big and heavy, that will be unwieldy to walk away with, unless you're a tall bastard.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Simkin posted:

So I rather foolishly left my bike out in my driveway last night, rather than nestled in the warm (and locked) confines of the garage, and at about 1:30, I hear this righteous crash. I jump up from bed, and that's when I notice that my bike's lying on the ground, a few metres from where it had been parked, and that some kid is running the opposite direction along the street. FUCKFUCKFUCK

Someone had already called the cops, because apparently these asshats had already been seen trying to break into cars, and wrecking random poo poo. The police showed up ridiculously fast, since this neighbourhood's usually a problem on Friday/Saturday night, with house parties and the like. By then, I'd already wheeled my bike into the garage to asses the damage - thankfully, it's a naked (well, with a cowling), so there was only a bit of scratching on the timing case, bar end, mirror, and front signal, in addition to the brake lever being slightly bent.

gently caress. That's the second time that my bike has been down, and neither has been at my hands.

tl; dr: If you don't want your bike stolen, own something big and heavy, that will be unwieldy to walk away with, unless you're a tall bastard.

Did they catch the bastard?

One night I forgot to lock my truck and some kids stole my change and the key to my bike out of the console. I'm sure they thought it was a Honda car key, but that meant I couldn't leave my bike at my apartment until I moved, just in case :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Simkin posted:

That was my worst nightmare when I had to park my ex500 in my college dorms parking. Instead I was once greeted with someone smoking a cigarette while sitting on my motorcycle and ashing on my tank. I casually walked up to him and the following ensued.
Me: "Hey nice motorcycle dude, how long have you owned it?"
:smug:: "Ha nah this isn't mine, I'm just sitting on it and taking a smoke break, but i've wanted one for awhile!"
Me: "Yeah I know it's not yours, because it's mine, now how about getting the gently caress off of it and buying your own if you want a seat that badly"
:aaa:: "Oh poo poo, sorry man, I'm really sorry, I didn't think the guy who owned it was around!"

Needless to say I never caught him sitting on my bike again, let alone ashing on it. Though I was impressed that it never got pushed over by some drunk douche.