Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Who makes cheap synth brake fluid now that valvoline discontinued synpower dot4 fluid a while back?

My abs overreacted to any road imperfection while braking which didnt inspire confidence in it. 2002 models I know had a recall on abs computers and maybe 03s as well. I just dont like abs very much and most of my past cars havent had anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wouldn't better tires be the best thing for braking performance? I did notice the stock pads on my old WRX could fade quite easily, though.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Are there any real mods that I can do to my 09 OBS, other than a sway bar and new tires? I was thinking a new exhaust or some type of intake, but I don't think they make any.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

sparticus posted:

Are there any real mods that I can do to my 09 OBS, other than a sway bar and new tires? I was thinking a new exhaust or some type of intake, but I don't think they make any.

if you rally-x at all, an LSD rear diff can pay dividends. Other than that....save about 5k and trade in for an 09-10 WRX?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That'd be good for snow also. I stranded my bro's OBS in deep snow. Of course, I should have stopped when I started having trouble. Ah well.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

dayman posted:

if you rally-x at all, an LSD rear diff can pay dividends. Other than that....save about 5k and trade in for an 09-10 WRX?

Guess I will wait until next year.

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

Just adding to the thread that legacy turbo coolant tanks suck. 90-93.

They are made out of some plastic composite material and the nubs for the plumbing are very prone to breaking off. Finding this part in a junk yard can be troublesome because good luck pulling it out without breaking it, let alone finding one.

I wound up threading a brass fitting for it and sealing it up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

So far ABS hasn't bothered my in my Legacy.
That's because the Legacy ABS system doesn't suck like the older WRXs.
However, any ABS is good flatspot insurance, which is why I wouldn't disable it even on the track.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

uc0083 posted:

My abs overreacted to any road imperfection while braking which didnt inspire confidence in it.

This is my only gripe about my 04 WRX. I'll hit a sewer while lightly braking in the rain (slightly slicker than the road) and ABS goes loving nuts and all 4 tires break traction. Its quite frightening. I've actually had this happen in the dry twice, except without breaking traction...but still, ABS goes nuts.

Which actually reminds me, is there a way for me to disable ABS without throwing any CELS/affecting the ECM? My old Corolla had no ABS and I felt much more confident in its braking abilities than I do in the WRX.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
You people wanting to disable ABS is pretty :psyduck:

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

RealKyleH posted:

They will realise the error of their ways when the insurance company won't pay out for any claims because they disabled a safety system.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

uc0083 posted:

Who makes cheap synth brake fluid now that valvoline discontinued synpower dot4 fluid a while back?

My abs overreacted to any road imperfection while braking which didnt inspire confidence in it. 2002 models I know had a recall on abs computers and maybe 03s as well. I just dont like abs very much and most of my past cars havent had anyways.

Have anymore info on the ABS recalls? My 02 seems to activate ABS pretty easily on dry roads when going over the small speed bumps while breaking when entering my apartment complex. Never had it happen before in my LGT or Forester, feels wierd. And I have nice sticky summer tires, and just flushed my fluid.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm starting to wonder if my ABS is so poo poo because I prolly need new rotors/pads. I'll put it back in when I change my rotors and pads in a month or so.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Here is the abs recall info.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836061

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

uc0083 posted:

Here is the abs recall info.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836061

Apparently it's a "Customer Satisfaction Program," and not an actual recall, wonder what the chances are a dealer would cover this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TurboLuvah posted:

Apparently it's a "Customer Satisfaction Program," and not an actual recall, wonder what the chances are a dealer would cover this.

High if you have a good dealer. When I was getting my transmission fixed they came right out and told me "hey, there's a new abs controller for your car and we're just going to install it while we have it." The car is 7 1/2 years old and has 93k miles on it.

It made a significant different too.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Whatup guys.

I got a check engine light right after filling up my gas tank. I retrieved the code from Autozone and for the life of me can't remember it. It was a generic emissions based code. PL#### or something.

So I bought a new gas cap and clicked it three times. I was told that after 50 miles or so the check engine light would shut itself off. Its been about 100 now and it still isn't leaving. Anyone have this happen? Should I just take it to a dealership to have them shut it off? I'm worried that they are gonna try and throw a diagnostics fee on there if I do.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Another gas related question.

Just filled up my wife's 94 Camry with 89 octane while we were out. Get back, hop in my WRX to go give it a wash and vacuum, fill it up with...89 octane accidentally :doh: Car is stock, should the ECU just pull timing or should I try to stay out of boost?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

TurboLuvah posted:

Just filled up my wife's 94 Camry with 89 octane while we were out. Get back, hop in my WRX to go give it a wash and vacuum, fill it up with...89 octane accidentally :doh: Car is stock, should the ECU just pull timing or should I try to stay out of boost?

The ECU will adjust, just don't get on it real hard and it should be fine. I just wouldn't do anything at WOT unless its an emergency.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

TurboLuvah posted:

If you feel really paranoid you can dump octane booster into it to raise it back up to 91/93, but there is a great deal of debate about those creatures and their effectiveness.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be taking it easy on her this week.

If I remember octane boosters effectively raise octane by something like tenths of a point, might be better off just adding straight toluene to the tank.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thirst for Savings posted:

Whatup guys.

I got a check engine light right after filling up my gas tank. I retrieved the code from Autozone and for the life of me can't remember it. It was a generic emissions based code. PL#### or something.

So I bought a new gas cap and clicked it three times. I was told that after 50 miles or so the check engine light would shut itself off. Its been about 100 now and it still isn't leaving. Anyone have this happen? Should I just take it to a dealership to have them shut it off? I'm worried that they are gonna try and throw a diagnostics fee on there if I do.

Go back to autozone and get the actual code.

Alternatively, pull your positive battery line, step on the brake pedal for 10 seconds or so to make sure all charge as left the system and reocnnect. If it was the gascap related code, it shouldn't come back. If the light comes back on immediately, go back to autozone and get the code and write it down this time.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
P1443

I tried the battery disconnect and it didn't disable the code.

The readout paper says:

BBEVAP Control system vent control function problem probable cause

BB1 - Open or short circuit condition
BB2 - Poor electrical connection
BB3 - Failed vent control solenoid

Its a 2002 Impreza RS with about 79,000 on it.

EDIT: Called the dealership and they said just to bring it in before my safety and emissions which is a few months out.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 26, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Do you top off your tank?

If so, it's possible that gas could have gotten down into the vent system and messed something up or fouled up the charcoal canister.

It could just be a simple vacuum issue too or a clogged line.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
No top offs, once the pump stops I pull it out.

Are there any at home remedies I can try before I take it in to be checked?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

RealKyleH posted:

Yeah, and? Even the 06 ABS loving sucks and tried to kill me. I've had instances of the 04 Forester's ABS literally spit me through an intersection all because it was some light gravel on the road - and on a shitbox Excel without ABS, no problem stopping.

Oh and there was the time that the ABS spat the 06 mega sideways when a wheel lifted.

AND the guy I know who was thrown off the track when his ABS freaked out.

Blow the ABS fuse, call it a day.

Okay, just need a fact check. Did the 02 / 03 STI's come with mechanical front / rear diffs?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cat Terrist posted:

Okay, just need a fact check. Did the 02 / 03 STI's come with mechanical front / rear diffs?

I think you're generally asking the wrong crowd since the US didn't get the STI till '04

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Cat Terrist posted:

I am relatively certain that they did as the transition to the electronically controlled ones starts in 04 with the rear and moves to all 3 diffs by the 06 model year. I can't say for sure, but my memory says that they should be all mechanical.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The new legacy is huge

bung
Dec 14, 2004

nm posted:

The new legacy is huge

And it looks like a Camry. :barf:

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Holy poo poo that thing is loving huge

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought the Legacy was big before. Is it on a new chassis, or did they just add more body cladding to make it look like a big tough luxury sedan?

Still not liking the taillights, they remind me too much of the 2008 sedan, which looks like a retarded Hyundai. The front end looks great though.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 27, 2009

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Oh my god that thing is massive

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bung posted:

I wonder if it'll suffer from the same aerodynamics of the Camry. Last time I drove one of those it felt like driving a box truck on the highway. Cross winds just slam right into those big lumpy sides.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
And the last gen Legacy was just the right size too. Holy mother that thing is massive.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Apparently hellaflush is the only way to make the new legacies look good.

Edit: yes I'm aware this is a photoshop. It's a good one though.

dayman fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 27, 2009

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bung posted:

The old Legacy Sedan looks like a last gen camry, so at least they're keeping some tradition :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It doesn't look that big to me. Just taller. I don't think the styling is awful or anything, but once again I know I'm in the minority.:)

dayman, you need to resize that picture! Check the forum rules.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought the Legacy was big before. Is it on a new chassis, or did they just add more body cladding to make it look like a big tough luxury sedan?

Still not liking the taillights, they remind me too much of the 2008 sedan, which looks like a retarded Hyundai. The front end looks great though.

new chassis. Or mostly new anyway. The engine mounts, front subframe and exhaust and turbo routing/placement are completely different. Rear suspension is probably pretty much the same as what eveything else has now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

new chassis. Or mostly new anyway. The engine mounts, front subframe and exhaust and turbo routing/placement are completely different. Rear suspension is probably pretty much the same as what eveything else has now though.
rear suspension is now double wishbone instead of the old multilink.