Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Linedance posted:

probably on the center stand. If the rear tire is even a little bit on the ground it'll go. Scooter center stands are designed for ease of use and basically take no effort to move off the stand.
Actually if memory serves, they're designed to be able to be driven away from parked on-stand.

Depends on the scooter. My Vino 125's rear wheel is a few inches off the ground when it's on the centerstand; my Stella's rear wheel is grounded by the front is a few inches off. Neither could be driven away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Linedance posted:

probably on the center stand. If the rear tire is even a little bit on the ground it'll go. Scooter center stands are designed for ease of use and basically take no effort to move off the stand.
Actually if memory serves, they're designed to be able to be driven away from parked on-stand.

Mine's not a scooter, but my bike does have a centre stand. I did once or twice try to drive away from it being parked on the stand. Queue the engine revving, and the wheel spinning, but nada else. Probably due to the location of the engine, on a bike it's forward of the stand, whereas on a scooter it's behind the stand, and thus the scooter rests on the drive wheel.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Linedance posted:

I saw some guy do this on a big BMW motorcycle before. He rocked back so the rear tire touched the ground, dumped the clutch and took off. :psyduck:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skier posted:

I saw some guy do this on a big BMW motorcycle before. He rocked back so the rear tire touched the ground, dumped the clutch and took off. :psyduck:

That's pretty bad rear end. My friend goes off his center stand, but he has to rock forward enough for the momentum to raise the center stand and for the rear wheel to hit the pavement. I think he does it without giving it any gas until he's on the ground, so he doesn't rocket off at the end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Uthor posted:

That's pretty bad rear end. My friend goes off his center stand, but he has to rock forward enough for the momentum to raise the center stand and for the rear wheel to hit the pavement. I think he does it without giving it any gas until he's on the ground, so he doesn't rocket off at the end.

I've done that on my E. Just rock it forward and away you go.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 20, 2009

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

Lots of singing, bad singing.

Lots of whistling, chiefly because its the only thing I can usually hear over the engine and road noise. Come to think of it I've gotten amazingly good at whistling as a result.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUK6aOEJKo

Supermoto sliding goodness. Complete with elbow draggin while backing it in. What more could you want in life?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Supermoto sliding goodness. Complete with elbow draggin while backing it in. What more could you want in life?

Cornerspeed? :smug:

Spies:

Click here for the full 800x531 image.

The RC166. He revs the hell out of it at the end and it is insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYcqSTVBY4

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Revenant.Eagle posted:

I still find it crazy how people can accurately use the rear brake and shift while doing that.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Ziploc posted:

I still find it crazy how people can accurately use the rear brake and shift while doing that.

Its more rapid downshifting, heavy front braking into clutch slip and rear brake control. Slipper clutches help exponentially too.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Ziploc posted:

That.. and it never ceases to amaze me just how much adhesion tires actually have.. I mean, those guys are WAY over, and the bike doesn't lowside out from under them. Pretty amazing stuff (to me).

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Revenant.Eagle posted:

drat it, why are there no supermoto races in the northeast? Even if I don't have the balls to ride that, I'd love to at least watch it in person.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Fantastipotamus posted:

That.. and it never ceases to amaze me just how much adhesion tires actually have.. I mean, those guys are WAY over, and the bike doesn't lowside out from under them. Pretty amazing stuff (to me).

At that point they are actually just holding the bike up with their knees/body.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

At that point they are actually just holding the bike up with their knees/body.

Not in most cases...they're just backing it in really deep, parking it in the corner, and then standing it up and gassing it out.

If you watch the chassis of the bike, it never turns under and they're not losing grip on the front end. When someone ends up saving a bike on their knee, it's pretty obvious that they're doing it, because the bike stops holding it's line. You can also see that they'll bobble slightly as the tires come back into line, but they're not sliding the front. If they're not sliding the front, there's no need to hold the bike up, it'll still corner on it's own.

Edit: Sticky track, sticky tires, light bike, and your concern ends up being riding off the edge of the tire, not grip.

Click here for the full 1024x629 image.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 21, 2009

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I agree the front is not washing out but I think there is still some push back with the knee body to make sure the tire stays in contact with the road. Unless they can transmit their body weight to the bottom of the bike its gonna be top heavy and just fall over even more so at the low speeds at which they finally exit the corners in.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

If you watch carefully in the last few times he backs it in, his foot comes off the peg and is just sliding on the ground. It's fully controlled.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

I agree the front is not washing out but I think there is still some push back with the knee body to make sure the tire stays in contact with the road. Unless they can transmit their body weight to the bottom of the bike its gonna be top heavy and just fall over even more so at the low speeds at which they finally exit the corners in.

A little throttle sorts a top heavy bike falling into a corner no problem.

And people don't just jam their knee into the ground. Jamming your knee into the ground doesn't do good things for a motorcycle, except when you're giving it the chance to regain traction. He never loses front end grip, there's no reason to use his knee to support the bike because doing so really fucks with weight distribution, chassis composure, and the balance of the suspension. When you've got the bike completely sideways on corner entrance, that's the last thing you want to be doing, and when you've got it at the apex with max load on the tires, you really don't want to be loving with the chassis balance by shoving your knee into the ground.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 21, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uAcmrUEp2U

Probably a repost. But meh

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAhlxl4hmM

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Could someone please explain "backing it in"? I see this phrase used occasionally but I have no clue what it means.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Could someone please explain "backing it in"? I see this phrase used occasionally but I have no clue what it means.

edit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-YPEBlQ5tw

echomadman fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 22, 2009

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Mr. Clark2 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8dMRtxjoN0

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

None of those are backing it in. All of those are powersliding out of a corner.

Backing it in is where you're using the a combination of the rear brake and clutch modulation to bring the back end of the bike around under heavy braking to get it turned faster or in some cases, help the bike slow down.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Backing it in

http://www.supermotoracer.com/SMR%20...2_backitin.pdf

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Hey, I've crashed on that corner! Twice!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Shakey, noisy video of my ride through Griffith Park yesterday! I saw the thread Linedance posted, and how he just used one of those Gorillapod camera mounts wrapped around his bike, and I wanted to give it a shot with mine. As you can see, the video follows every little bump in the road.

The still images I got were pretty decent, though I need to figure out a better way to take images periodically throughout the ride without having to press the shutter release each time. I had it set to delay 15 seconds after I pressed it, then shoot 10 shots in succession. That gave me a decent amount of shots of Mulholland's curves, but I'd like to be able to just set it and have it take 1 shot every ~5-10 seconds or so until I tell it to stop. I'll get some pics up when I have them uploaded.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

just a sweet Street Triple R in the bike bay at work:

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

Linedance posted:

just a sweet Street Triple R in the bike bay at work

Looks alot better with a front screen above the lights like that then totally naked.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
one of the guys at work just finished converting his 525exc to a sumo and making it road legal, had a quick spin around the yard on it, holy poo poo what a fun bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DiZ posted:

Looks alot better with a front screen above the lights like that then totally naked.

Completely agree.

Bolt Action Jackson
Apr 5, 2009

Ola posted:

Completely agree.

You're both wrong.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Digging this monster.

The rider looks like such a dork, though.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
pics of another buddys current bikes.
his z1000, this thing has every bolt on or drop in mod possible, zx9 engine bits: cams and flywheel i think, Powercommander, full system.

his Blade streetfighter, personally i dont like a lot of the asthetics, but hey, its still a cool bike, i think thats a honda car wheel on a vfr swinger with a bike tyre crammed onto it. since that pic he's fitted an MV Agusta tail and exhausts to replace the R1 race fairing tail and laser mv agusta-knockoff pipes.

his ludicrous GSXR 1100 streetfighter, about to get cams, ignition advance and dynojet kit. Again i think its a minger but fighters are a pretty love em or hate em experience in my book. its mostly the tailpiece on this one, i hate that "german" style that looks like you've been rearended

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

For some reason with the rider on it reminds me of those giant trapezoid-treaded WWI tanks.

e: Seconding the flyscreen vastly improving that awful little beanie the Triumph normally wears

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
some guy on the moto-guzzi forum got a look at a disassembled v8 in private ownership near the factory in italy. wow.

for those unfamiliar: 500cc v8, dohc, 80hp in 1955. it was a factory racing design only and was given up on early because the engine kept melting. there are apparently only 5 or 6 left in the world.

more here: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=26313.0

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

some guy on the moto-guzzi forum got a look at a disassembled v8 in private ownership near the factory in italy. wow.

for those unfamiliar: 500cc v8, dohc, 80hp in 1955. it was a factory racing design only and was given up on early because the engine kept melting. there are apparently only 5 or 6 left in the world.

more here: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=26313.0

There's one of those in the Motorcycle Museum in Solvang.

I had no idea it was that rare. That place is the most absurd collection of bikes ever.

Edit: Ahh, his is a replica. Makes more sense now.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Semper Ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTrF_iqQPU

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
that Guzzi reminds of the of the AJS V4:

Click here for the full 1389x752 image.

A watercooled, supercharged, British v4 made in 1939!

It was stupidly powerful for the time, but like the Guzzi kept on melting/exploding.

It's like cavemen designing and racing formula 1 cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJS_V4

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spartak posted:

that Guzzi reminds of the of the AJS V4:

Click here for the full 1389x752 image.

A watercooled, supercharged, British v4 made in 1939!

It was stupidly powerful for the time, but like the Guzzi kept on melting/exploding.

It's like cavemen designing and racing formula 1 cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJS_V4

good lord I can't even imagine the sound that thing would make!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Linedance posted:

good lord I can't even imagine the sound that thing would make!

Lemme try:

VroooWHEEEEEEEE*chck*BAAAAABloody 'el! I need to go ta hospital!!!