Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
I'm absolutely astounded by some of what I have seen in this thread and can't help but wonder: how long did it take many of you to reach the standard of proficiency that you have in the work that you do? As a beginner looking to do this sort of thing as a hobby it's all very daunting. (Please pardon me if such a question was asked earlier, I admit to not having read the entire thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Just finished my first model/texture/lighting a scene in maya. It looks like complete rear end and will hopefully net me a B on the project, but I'm as satisfied as one can be for touching maya for the first time a little over two weeks ago.

Click here for the full 1600x900 image.

Things I need to work on:
Everything.
Modeling: I have a small grasp of what box modeling is but still mountains to learn until I'm satisfied.
Textures: a weird magic that is either hit or miss at the moment(mostly miss).
Lighting: Completely just making it up as I go along, will learn properly later.
Planar Mapping (UV's): I have never been more confused in my life.

I can't wait to get into classes specialized on one thing so I can get a deep understanding of one skill set then move onto the next, but I can respect being thrown into a program and told to do a little bit of everything basic to get a grasp of it.

Edit: This is the view I really want to submit for the project, due to how well my floor texture/bump turned out. But I was basically told by everyone that saw it not to use it because the composition sucks balls.

Click here for the full 2000x1125 image.

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 21, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EvilHobo posted:

how long did it take many of you to reach the standard of proficiency that you have in the work that you do?

Probably about 5 years total, started at 16 - the past 3 1/2 years working somewhere good, a year modeling and teaching myself and a few months making chrome spheres above the ocean in vue d'esprit 2. haha.
I was big into the idea of 3d and wanting to know how they made it before then, which may have helped, idk.

Here's one from yesterday:

edit: missed a year, it's been 5, not 4. forgot how long i'd been working here. haha.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 21, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

EvilHobo posted:

I'm absolutely astounded by some of what I have seen in this thread and can't help but wonder: how long did it take many of you to reach the standard of proficiency that you have in the work that you do? As a beginner looking to do this sort of thing as a hobby it's all very daunting. (Please pardon me if such a question was asked earlier, I admit to not having read the entire thread)

Far too long for the skill level I'm at, though in my defense this is my first production environment and I've only been here 5 years. So with that preface, I started with the solid modeling extension for autoCAD R12 DOS. 15 years ago freshman year of high school.

Here's the first model I ever made. The dwg file sat around for years before I rendered it in Max r3. The toy I used as reference sits on my desk to this day.

Post your oldest work you can find.

edit: haha I found a 4096x2200 image of that same shot. I can't even begin to imagine how long it took to render.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 21, 2009

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Yeah old work! This is one of my first images that I ever made. This was 11 years ago made in Bryce. I used Bryce until I was a freshman in college, then I bought Lightwave. It actually took me 2 years to get to a point where I could use it. It was pretty intimidating, but working through tutorials I finally got to a point where I decided I would make something nice and I spent a few months working on this ship. Most of those 2 years was spent not working in the program but occasionally, but the actual learning process of intensely trying to learn it was maybe 2 or 3 months. Making that ship, and working the entire process taught my a shitload on techniques and everything else. Especially because of the mix of organic and mechanical. It's been a fun model to play with over the years for lighting, animating, and whatever else.

There is a lot to 3d CG but it's a bit of an addictive process. Your friends will think you are a genius if you show them wireframes and explain things in real technical jargon. I've taken to just waving my stylus (magic wand) in front of my computer and telling them that it's magic (faster that way).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My very first cg images are lost to the mists of time. I can tell you they were made using POVRAY.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Yeah!!! Here's some from 2001:

Ooooh photoshop. How I love thee lens flare. The funny thing is that I still use it for events viz clients to hide boring bits of the image :P

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man they're still on the internet.

Look at dose bitmaps.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
From late 05, - it's about a year in. I'd just got into vray and this was the first 'proper' render I did with it

I still kind of like the lighting in this one :3:

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
I <3 old CG images.

I just showed exhibit render to my bosses and they want to change half the exhibit now, which is good because I thought it could be improved, but it means I have a bit more work to do now.

And to contribute...

Metaballs for the win! Oh Carrara 3D, how short lived and buggy you were.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Check this poo poo out it's amaaazing.

http://fredandsharonsmovies.com/animation.php

I should have sole real old poo poo kicking around at home. I'll dig it up this weekend and post it.

Most of my C64 and Amiga art is long gone though :(.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 21, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

From late 05, - it's about a year in. I'd just got into vray and this was the first 'proper' render I did with it

I still kind of like the lighting in this one :3:

Get out.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Sorry :( It's the earliest I have, i know it's breaking the rules a bit.

I didnt model the chair though, it's a random model i found online.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
These are the oldest images of mine that I could find.

I started doing 3d stuff for fun in about 2005 I think.
These were probably done in 2006.

This one is a still from my one and only short film, done at my year at school in 2007.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 16, 2017

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yep...
How did you know that?

Thank god I didn't have to do the first year, skipped to the second year.
I'm not sure I learnt a whole lot but I did get my first couple of paying gigs from my teacher so It wasn't a complete waste of time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 16, 2017

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Just got this scary email:

Hi -Anim8-,

I just saw your site and see that you are a graphics artist but I could not see if you use 3DS Max. I am looking for 3DS Max artists available for freelance work. We are looking for 3DS Max artists who can work on-site in the Riverside area and specifically using 3DS Max and After Effects doing modeling, lighting, compositing, etc. We are a branch of the Church of Scientology and do the audio and visual productions. If you are available, you can email me or call myself or Charlotte at 323 960 3569 at anytime.

Your work is definitely impressive and I see that you are a Character Animator but possibly you do other things as well.

Thank you.
Eve

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

-A n i m 8- posted:

Just got this scary email:

Hi -Anim8-,

I just saw your site and see that you are a graphics artist but I could not see if you use 3DS Max. I am looking for 3DS Max artists available for freelance work. We are looking for 3DS Max artists who can work on-site in the Riverside area and specifically using 3DS Max and After Effects doing modeling, lighting, compositing, etc. We are a branch of the Church of Scientology and do the audio and visual productions. If you are available, you can email me or call myself or Charlotte at 323 960 3569 at anytime.

Your work is definitely impressive and I see that you are a Character Animator but possibly you do other things as well.

Thank you.
Eve

Working for the Scientologists? Maybe they need you for the next Battlefield Earth movie. It could be your big break into obscurity.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
this is the earliest thing i could find, I think the assignment was in Rhino, and to model a lego character then model your face and put it on;

:gonk:

The course then used maya, and my first actual short was about a train crashing. rendered all the post effects (glow/mb/dof) in scene, no comping whatsoever. The stupidest thing i did was I tried to render it to an .avi file instead of an image sequence :downs:.
after pulling my hair out for a few days i found out you could render to an image sequence! My mind was blown.

Obligatory robot with bad lighting from early 06;

Kirby fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2009

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'll try an hunt down an old hard drive when I get home and see if I've got anything left from Uni (perhaps some old design work harnessing the powers of Pro Engineer 2000i, Rhino 1.0 and Studio Max R3).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh man I've got a Maya 1.0 Mosquito laying around somewhere. I remember justifying the lighting as trying to be dark and "realistic" when I really couldn't figure out how to get the poo poo brighter (this was my very first 3D class).

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Kirby posted:

this is the earliest thing i could find, I think the assignment was in Rhino, and to model a lego character then model your face and put it on;

:gonk:

Han Solo account found!

Yasha From Russia
Apr 6, 2006
with a thousand words say but one

EoinCannon posted:

This one is a still from my one and only short film, done at my year at school in 2007.

You know they still play this video all the time on the big screens in that front room.

How long did it take you?
And who was your teacher?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eoin, you've become part of the lie machine. :smith:

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Houdini's pyro tools are loving awesome:

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

Except for the part where the scattering doesn't quite work well yet :argh:

sinc
Jul 6, 2008

Heintje posted:

Yeah, it looks nice at least based on the videos so far. The Up Res -feature sounds very useful too, if it works as well as it says. I'm assuming it's the wavelet turbulence algorithm? I just recently happened to code a 2D fluid simulator for class (in C++) and implemented the wavelet turbulence algorithm on top of it, got results like this:

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Ya I believe it's something like that, have a read:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/nodes/dop/gasupres

I remember reading this a while ago and thought it was pretty cool:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~tedkim/WTURB/

I've now got the sim distributed over 6 machines at a res of about 1200 along the max axis. Fingers crossed I didn't screw anything up and it will spit out some nice fields. Haven't looked at PC lighting yet.

edit- it comes with an AWESOME volume shader that lets you apply noise to any field you want, with a ramp for 'density' mapping of the noise within that field. Once you make your new noisemod or field remap, you can have THAT as an input into another noise function, it's all modular and quite insane.

Heintje fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 23, 2009

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
I'm not talking about the up-rez stuff, I know that's in Houdini, I'm more talking about light scattering into the smoke from the fire. If you look at pyro stuff, the fire becomes a light emitter onto the smoke. Right now with the pyro shader in 10, it's not quite there yet, it doesn't quite look and work well.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Oh I was replying to Sinc RE the upresing.

As for the pointcloud thing, I'm not really sure how it works as haven't looked into it yet. I remember when they were making it, at one stage they were scattering instances of standard point lights in the fire to light stuff around it up, it worked fine for such a hack :P

I've actually got to sit down at some point and make a PC writer and reader to pipe out random shader parameters/variables and then read em back in. Using a dicing cam it's a good way to cache gather passes and other expensive things like SSS. I did it in renderman a while ago and it's pretty awesome:
http://fundza.com/rman_shaders/pointcloud/index.html
(no i didn't write that tute)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Been trying to get faster in modeling with zbrush.

These are sketch heads from poly spheres. I wasn't looking at any reference when I made these and it shows. For the record, it can be pretty difficult to pull details like a mouth/lips and believable ears from a polysphere. These were pretty quick sketches and were meant to just get me more comfortable with speed modeling.

I need to poke around to find some of my really old 3d work. I know I have an old video somewhere.

Heintje: That fluids stuff is amazing. Also: High level math makes my brain hurt.

spottedfeces: I actually got a job offer to work for scientologists once. Turned it down thank god. Looking back though, there might have been some comedy value in it.

EoinCannon: That is pretty good for early work. It is no wonder your school still uses it.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 23, 2009

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

:c00lbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tuna those are amazing.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yasha From Russia posted:

You know they still play this video all the time on the big screens in that front room.

How long did it take you?
And who was your teacher?

In the screen class you do a group project with the whole class for the first semester and your own project for the second. I forget exactly how many weeks I worked on it but it was done within that second semester. My teacher was Bruce Currie, I got on well with Bruce although I did most of my work at home and didn't really spend that much extra time in class. I also did some work with him on M&Ms stuff and that was good experience.

SynthOrange: I think AIE may have gone downhill a little bit since I was there. My class of 10 had only one guy drop out (for financial reasons) and one guy transfer into the games class. of the eight remaining students 5 or maybe 6 have jobs somewhere in the industry now.

If the school is a bad as you say then I feel a bit funny that they use my film to attract students. If only they hadn't switched to Maya maybe I could get a job there as an instructor and try to make a difference :smugdog:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 16, 2017

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow....

Yeah it was pretty disorganised when I was there but nothing like that.
People shouldn't have to pay for that really.

*edit*
I've revisited this sculpt at the request of the director. I didn't have as long as I
would have liked to do these changes but I guess deadlines are usually a good thing.
He wanted certain costume elements included so it was a good chance to do some cloth.
He also has plans to get it printed in 3D which would be awesome, but I expect problems
and I'll probably have to make changes

Click here for the full 2040x1342 image.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 24, 2009

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

EoinCannon posted:

He also has plans to get it printed in 3D which would be awesome, but I expect problems
and I'll probably have to make changes

I've had a few things printed in 3d, so I'm mildly familiar with spotting problems. What sort of issues are you expecting? From what I see, the biggest problem areas are going to be the brim of his hat and the thinnest part of the bat. Depending on the method and material you're printing with, that brim might be lost entirely until you get around the 8-12 inch height.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm currently uploading a short test demoreel I made on Vimeo, is 150megs supposed to take so long to upload? It's not going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Compress it better. 150 megs is pretty big for a 'small' showreel.

I usually chuck videos that are going onto youtube/viddler/vimeo etc through virtualdub and turn them into xvids with mp3 audio. Squashes them down nicely.