Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

colonp posted:

My goto synth is still Oatmeal. Noone else likes it? It actually got me started on FM synthesis, since it does that too (although only 2 operators). With that in mind, are there any nice freeware VST FM synths?

I checked this out the other day and really liked the sounds, but I thought the interface looked a bit difficult, like I'd have to lower my screen resolution to see what I was doing with it.

I remember FMHeaven being alright. Maybe UnoFM too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Computer Jones posted:

I checked this out the other day and really liked the sounds, but I thought the interface looked a bit difficult, like I'd have to lower my screen resolution to see what I was doing with it.
There's a larger skin included with it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

trill rear end posted:

aight chall

im tryin to finish mixing these two songs for their release

is this poo poo too bassy?

(ps these are new versions of the songs)

on pbt at about 415 or so those hi hats sound really messy, other than that i like it

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Dicky B posted:

There's a larger skin included with it.

Oh, poo poo. I guess I'll give it a proper go later.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

trill rear end posted:

aight chall

im tryin to finish mixing these two songs for their release

is this poo poo too bassy?

(ps these are new versions of the songs)

it is a little on mine, my speakers are dogshit though.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Three Red Lights posted:

it is a little on mine, my speakers are dogshit though.

im gonna post some newer versions later, heres what im woring on right now

not sure where to go from there

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Here's the latest from the G&R studio:

Just a first master, but any feedback is appreciated, as usual.

quake_and_quake_and
Jan 10, 2006

by Fistgrrl
If you render with FL at 44.1hz, no amount of effort or equalization will ever make it not sound like poo poo. True Story.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

quake_and_quake_and posted:

If you render with FL at 44.1hz, no amount of effort or equalization will ever make it not sound like poo poo. True Story.

Was that directed to me? Because we don't use FL at all, nor did we render to 44.1. If it sounds like poo poo, though, I'd like to know. :)

quake_and_quake_and
Jan 10, 2006

by Fistgrrl
nonono, just a statement- I've been working with FL for 3+ years and all the warning boxes they shoot at you when you try and change the sampling rate (as well as some icky experiences with it) deterred me from using it at all. It makes things sound much MUCH better.

On your posting, I think that the extra noise on the kick could be a little bit muddier. The high pitched noises at the beginning forced me to turn the track down, which is never good. Voice sounds very nice (but hell if I know what it's saying :) ) Track sounds very well-polished, good job!

Hootie Hoo
Nov 13, 2008

by angerbot
edit: I was able to answer my own question

Hootie Hoo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 24, 2009

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

If you render with FL, no amount of effort or equalization will ever make it not sound like poo poo. True Story.

Fixed that for you.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

nonono, just a statement- I've been working with FL for 3+ years and all the warning boxes they shoot at you when you try and change the sampling rate (as well as some icky experiences with it) deterred me from using it at all. It makes things sound much MUCH better.

On your posting, I think that the extra noise on the kick could be a little bit muddier. The high pitched noises at the beginning forced me to turn the track down, which is never good. Voice sounds very nice (but hell if I know what it's saying :) ) Track sounds very well-polished, good job!

I didn't think so, but the way it was worded, I just wasn't sure. Interesting that there's such a difference, though.

Thanks for the feedback. It's things like this that will really bog us down if we're not careful, so it's nice to have another perspective.

quake_and_quake_and
Jan 10, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Kai was taken posted:

Fixed that for you.

we'll get that in the next version that i never have to pay for. for the rest of my life.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
aids reference goes here

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Is there a reason in live 7 that it keeps resetting my sounds when using some VSTs. For example lets say I have a sound made with Synth 1 which is then saved in one of the banks. I make my little loop and its all well and good. Then when I hit play it reverts back to one of the presets. Before it was reverting back to the very first sound and I would have to change it mid loop. Now its reverting back to some random unset sound every time I hit play.

Its very loving annoying

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fists Up posted:

Is there a reason in live 7 that it keeps resetting my sounds when using some VSTs. For example lets say I have a sound made with Synth 1 which is then saved in one of the banks. I make my little loop and its all well and good. Then when I hit play it reverts back to one of the presets. Before it was reverting back to the very first sound and I would have to change it mid loop. Now its reverting back to some random unset sound every time I hit play.

Its very loving annoying

The MIDI file you imported has automation attached.

Apr 24, 2008

Hey dudes, quick question here. I'm looking for a unit that I can use to sequence samples without it being hooked up to a computer.

I use a Korg Electribe MRK II rhythm synth and a MicroKorg at the moment. I'd like to be able to prepare clips on the computer and load them up onto something that I can sync up and trigger through the drum machine.
I don't really need a huge amount of functionality though, even if I can just assign samples to pads and hit them when they need to go, that would cool too.

Let me know if this is too vague but I wanted to keep the query simple.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Akai MPC series.
Korg Electribe SX or Electribe S.
Roland SP-505/606/555, MV8000, MC-808/MC-909.
Yamaha RS7000.
If you're hardcore, Ensoniq ASR-X.

It's only vague if you don't specify a budget, and keep in mind that "preparing" might cost more work than you want to do. I'd even consider a netbook with a cheap USB audio interface and Ableton Live Lite (which comes free with the interface, generally).

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
TAL Bassline = awebus free VST (sh101 type thing)

ch ch check it. faaaaaaaaaaat

Apr 24, 2008

Yoozer posted:

Akai MPC series.
Yamaha RS7000.

It's only vague if you don't specify a budget, and keep in mind that "preparing" might cost more work than you want to do. I'd even consider a netbook with a cheap USB audio interface and Ableton Live Lite (which comes free with the interface, generally).

I didn't specify a budget because I get everything second hand and the cost of equipment varies pretty wildly country to country. Most of the stuff I have was like an 8th of retail cos I watch ebay for multiple things I want at once and wait till I can get a good deal. I am on a pretty hardcore budget though so the truly high end stuff is out of my range.

I've already got a usb interface and I use Nuendo to record so I'm kinda half way there. Thanks Yoozer, I'll look up those things and try making a decision.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Yoozer posted:

Akai MPC series.
Yamaha RS7000.

Live Lite is nothing like LE, it's a useless piece of software that I can't see anyone not outgrowing quickly. It's useful as a discount though.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

quote:

Live Lite is nothing like LE, it's a useless piece of software that I can't see anyone not outgrowing quickly

I don't know how far the Lite limitations have been cranked down but you can already do pretty effective stuff if you're allowed to use some effects, audio tracks and a few instances of Simpler/Impulse.

An MPC1000 isn't much more complex than that, really.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Yoozer posted:

I don't know how far the Lite limitations have been cranked down but you can already do pretty effective stuff if you're allowed to use some effects, audio tracks and a few instances of Simpler/Impulse.

An MPC1000 isn't much more complex than that, really.

What are the differences between Ableton Live 7 LE and Live Lite?

Availability

Ableton Live 7 LE can be purchased from authorized dealers or via the Ableton webshop. Live 7 LE provides users an affordable way of gaining the benefits of music creation, production and performance with Ableton Live.

Live Lite is not sold separately. Live Lite is only available with select hardware products from a number of different companies.

Track count

Ableton Live 7 LE features 64 audio tracks and unlimited MIDI tracks for users that require more professional projects.

Live Lite versions vary in terms of their features in order to best suit the hardware they are bundled with, but generally feature a maximum of 8 tracks.

Upgrades

Ableton Live 7 LE and Live Lite owners can easily upgrade to the full version of Ableton Live at a significant discount via the Ableton webshop or at local dealers. For your price, please click here.
Live 7 LE vs. Live 8 comparison chart

Live 7 LE = first answer
Live 8 = 2nd answer

Maximum number of audio tracks per project
Unlimited
Maximum number of MIDI tracks per project
Unlimited
Unlimited
Group tracks
No
Yes
Maximum audio bit depth and resolution
32-bit/192kHz
32-bit/192kHz
Groove patterns
No
Yes
Maximum number of audio inputs
2 stereo
Unlimited
Maximum number of audio outputs
2 stereo
Unlimited
Includes Simpler instrument for sample-based synthesis
Yes
Yes
Includes Impulse instrument for percussion sound design
Yes
Yes
Maximum number of Ableton instruments per project
Unlimited
Number of included Ableton audio effects
Looper
No
Yes
Vocoder
No
Yes
Multiband dynamics
No
Yes
Overdrive
No
Yes
Frequency Shifter
No
Yes
Maximum number of Ableton audio effects per project
Unlimited
Number of included Ableton MIDI effects
Maximum number of Ableton MIDI effects per project
Unlimited
Unlimited
External VST/AU instrument instances per project
Unlimited
External VST/AU effect instances per project
Unlimited
Effect sidechaining
Yes
Yes
Instrument-, Drum-, Effect Rack editing
No
Yes
Time signature changes
Yes
Yes
Session View
Yes
Yes
Maximum number of scenes per project
Unlimited
Complex Warp Mode
No
Yes
Multiple automation lanes
Yes
Yes
Native audio slicing support
No
Yes
Maximum number of send and return tracks per project
Track Freeze
No
Yes
Clip envelopes and Follow Actions
Yes
Yes
External Instrument/Audio Effect devices
No
Yes
Automatic plug-in delay compensation
Yes
Yes
Tempo Nudge
No
Yes
MIDI remote control instant mapping
Yes
Yes
MIDI output to hardware synths
No
Yes
MIDI Clock/sync
No
Yes
ReWire
No
Yes
REX file support
No
Yes
Multicore/multiprocessor support
Yes
Yes
SmartPriming memory management
Yes
Yes
POW-R dithering
No
Yes
Video import and export
No
Yes
WAV, AIFF, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC file support
Yes
Yes

So you have only two sends, 2 vst instruments, and two vst effects.

You could do a lot with 8 tracks and these limitations. If you have no experience I think the limitations are very useful.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Live Lite is worthless. The only thing it's good for is getting a discount on the full version.

I remember there being some ridiculously low limitations on the amount of Ableton devices and plugins you could have, making it pretty much unusable for anything other than a step up from Sound Recorder.exe

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 27, 2009

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
I'm under the impression that having two different instruments playing on notes a half step away from each other is a bad thing; for instance if I have a blip play on Eb5 while a pad is playing below on D5, it won't sound so good. True? What about if the notes are several octaves away (my sub's sine wave, for instance)?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

I'm under the impression that having two different instruments playing on notes a half step away from each other is a bad thing; for instance if I have a blip play on Eb5 while a pad is playing below on D5, it won't sound so good. True? What about if the notes are several octaves away (my sub's sine wave, for instance)?

If they're in the same scale, just try it and see if it sounds like poo poo or not. If the sound is low enough you can't pull any notational qualities (if that's a word) from it, it just sounds like a rumble. If you have a 40hz sine wave going, nobody is going to be like "Whoa, that sub is out of key", it's too low to tell.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

If your sub sounds slightly better with that higher tone, I guess you can get away with it? But in general, it's dumb and can be easily avoided.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Not necessarily. When you have a C7 chord, for example, there's a B and a C in it. If these notes are played by different instruments in the context of that chord, it's not a bad thing. There are loads of deliberately dissonant effects you can pull with this, too.

todd_777
Dec 31, 2008
This is a track I put together a few months back and got around to cleaning up a bit today. It's a bit odd.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

There's no yes or no answer to this. If you're overall tonality is an Eb7 could it could sound fine, or if you're starting on the Eb and the pad is playing some sort of descending motif for example. It all depends what is happening before and after really, your best bet is to try it and see.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

You can use it to pull some cool stuff though, many goa lead riffs put in unexpected notes like that once or twice per bar.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
Also, I have a toy keyboard that does awesome things on the mandolin preset if you hold down two notes that are a semitone apart.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
SO I just got my axiom 49, and am using it with ableton 8. I downloaded the pack for the tutorial on setting it up, but am not finding the document in ableton. I searched all over the help view and see nothing. What am I doing wrong?

I just want to get all my pads setup correctly.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Harminoff posted:

SO I just got my axiom 49, and am using it with ableton 8. I downloaded the pack for the tutorial on setting it up, but am not finding the document in ableton. I searched all over the help view and see nothing. What am I doing wrong?

I just want to get all my pads setup correctly.

Did you install the live pack .als?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rkelly posted:

Did you install the live pack .als?

yes, did it twice to make sure and it says it is installed, just nothing showing up in the menu at all that I can see.

Where should I see it? I looked in help, wasn't there. Looked under lessons, and not there either.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 28, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
new jam yall

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Stux posted:

Intro takes is too long imo. Some of the breaks were a little jarring - feels more like a stutter or fuckup instead of a gap in the beat. Production is noice, I'm nitpicking really...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Stux posted:

holy poo poo. This would be great if you could just get a big boomy bass droning underneath the end "finale". Really turn it into something huge.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 31, 2009

• Locked thread